Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Austin City Limits Music Festival 2014

Default Re: Austin City Limits Music Festival 2014

Jagwar Ma cancelled, but it looks like we're getting lineup additions according to Twitter.

Hmm...that blows. Although if it means a Jagwar Ma show at Emo's sooner rather than later, I'm down for a reasonable exchange.

8/22 Aerosmith + Slash, 8/24 Nickel Creek, 8/28 Bear in Heaven, 8/31 Little Dragon, 9/11 Delta Spirit, 9/18 Owen Pallett, 9/20 Conor Oberst, 9/25 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 9/27 How to Dress Well, 9/28 The War on Drugs, 10/3 & 10/5 ACL W1, 10/10 CHVRCHES, 10/11 Spoon, 10/12 ACL W2, 10/13 Paul McCartney, 10/16 Rodrigo y Gabriela, 10/18 twenty one pilots, 10/19 Erasure, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/23 Caribou, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Jagwar Ma cancelled, but it looks like we're getting lineup additions according to Twitter.
    They keep talking about glitter and stuff. Someone on FB guessed Ghostland Observatory... I'm there in a heartbeat if that happens. But I doubt it

Wow, the day by day breakdown makes this line-up look even worse. Anyway, bought a Friday pass. Hopefully the Avett Brothers and the Replacements do aftershows.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

I'm all in for a Sunday of Spoon>The Replacements>Pearl Jam. I think the only thing I need to see on Saturday is Tune-Yards, and that's it.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Only thing I care about Saturday would be Interpol, but not enough to spend the whole day at ACL. Hopefully they get a night show. I think I'll go ahead and buy Sunday weekend 2 as well.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

I was contemplating selling my St. Paul tickets to see the Replacements here, but after seeing the daily breakdown I've decided to stick with the original plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

The Saturday lineup is just awful. It's stuffed full of predictable mainstream crap (Lana, Skrillex, Major Lazer, Icona Pop, Lorde) and some mediocre indie stuff that isn't particularly interesting live (Broken Bells, Avetts, Head and the Heart, Polica).

I may use my 3-day pass to only attend on Friday and Sunday, and hope for a cool night show or ACL taping on Saturday.

8/22 Aerosmith + Slash, 8/24 Nickel Creek, 8/28 Bear in Heaven, 8/31 Little Dragon, 9/11 Delta Spirit, 9/18 Owen Pallett, 9/20 Conor Oberst, 9/25 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 9/27 How to Dress Well, 9/28 The War on Drugs, 10/3 & 10/5 ACL W1, 10/10 CHVRCHES, 10/11 Spoon, 10/12 ACL W2, 10/13 Paul McCartney, 10/16 Rodrigo y Gabriela, 10/18 twenty one pilots, 10/19 Erasure, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/23 Caribou, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent

The whole lineup is shite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Saturday passes are sold out (both weekends). Considering festival culture these days, I shouldn't be surprised that the shittiest day sold out the fastest.

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    The Saturday lineup is just awful. It's stuffed full of predictable mainstream crap (Lana, Skrillex, Major Lazer, Icona Pop, Lorde) and some mediocre indie stuff that isn't particularly interesting live (Broken Bells, Avetts, Head and the Heart, Polica).
    The Avett Brothers are fantastic live. No biggie if you don't like their music, but "indie" or "mediocre" doesn't describe them at all.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 07-24-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Saturday passes are sold out (both weekends). Considering festival culture these days, I shouldn't be surprised that the shittiest day sold out the fastest.
    That's hilarious. I was considering buying Friday and Sunday passes for Beck and PJ. You couldn't pay me to go on Saturday.

I may use my 3-day pass to only attend on Friday and Sunday, and hope for a cool night show or ACL taping on Saturday.
    Sometimes, on days like this I end up having a pretty good time. Not a whole lot of stress to see a bunch of things, and there are always pleasant surprises. I will see things that I would not normally go to, like Trombone Shorty or Beats Antique. Heck, why not Juanes? I can get drunk and do my best impression of some kind of salsa dance.
    They heard me singing and they told me to STOP.

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    Sometimes, on days like this I end up having a pretty good time. Not a whole lot of stress to see a bunch of things, and there are always pleasant surprises. I will see things that I would not normally go to, like Trombone Shorty or Beats Antique. Heck, why not Juanes? I can get drunk and do my best impression of some kind of salsa dance.
    That's a great attitude and it definitely leads to discoveries. It's just not worth it to me to trek all the way out there if there's really not even one band I'm dying to see that day, and get more exhausted before Sunday, when I really want to be ready to rock out for Pearl Jam.

That's a great attitude and it definitely leads to discoveries. It's just not worth it to me to trek all the way out there if there's really not even one band I'm dying to see that day, and get more exhausted before Sunday, when I really want to be ready to rock out for Pearl Jam.
    Yeah, I can understand that. If I lived in the area, it would be another story. I am travelling from San Diego, so I may as well get my money's worth and go every day - at least for a little while.

If there are some great after shows, or some kind of awesome party with some of that famous Texas BBQ, then I would not be opposed to leaving early on Saturday. If you hear about anything....post here!
    They heard me singing and they told me to STOP.

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    If there are some great after shows, or some kind of awesome party with some of that famous Texas BBQ, then I would not be opposed to leaving early on Saturday. If you hear about anything....post here!
    Will do!

The schedule of set times will be out next week.

Guessing it goes something like this:

Friday
    Main1: OutKast - Foster the People - CHVRCHES - Sam Smith
    SideStage1: Childish Gambino - The Glitch Mob - Ozomatli
    Main2: Beck - Belle & Sebastian - Capital Cities - Blackberry Smoke - J Roddy Walston
    SideStage2: St. Vincent - Paolo Nutini - Temples - Lake Street Dive

Saturday
    Main1: Eminem - Lana Del Rey - Broken Bells - Beats Antique - Trombone Shorty
    SideStage1: Avett Brothers - Head and the Heart - tune-yards - Kodaline
    Main2: Skrillex - Major Lazer - Iggy Azalea - Icona Pop - Mac Demarco
    SideStage2: Juanes - Rebelution - Polica

Sunday
    Main1: Pearl Jam - The Replacements - Spoon - AFI - Jenny Lewis
    SideStage1: Fitz and the Tantrums - Turnpike Troubadours - Real Estate - Lettuce
    Main2: Calvin Harris - Zedd - Chromeo - Gramatik - Vic Mensa - Kongos
    SideStage2: Phantogram - The Gaslight Anthem - Kongos - Jamestown Revival
    Last edited by purplecow; 07-26-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Will do!

The schedule of set times will be out next week.

Guessing it goes something like this:

Friday
    Main1: OutKast - Foster the People - CHVRCHES - Sam Smith
    SideStage1: Childish Gambino - The Glitch Mob - Ozomatli
    Main2: Beck - Belle & Sebastian - Capital Cities - Blackberry Smoke - J Roddy Walston
    SideStage2: St. Vincent - Paolo Nutini - Temples - Lake Street Dive

I bet you're right. Beck vs Outkast, St. Vincent vs Childish Gambino... Those are gonna be tough! Oh well. Got my Friday and Sunday passes for Weekend 2. Hoping for a cool aftershow on Saturday.

Also, love that these guys finally hopped on the payment plan bandwagon. Even if it's only two payments, as a college student I was very relieved that I wasn't gonna have to pay the full price all at once.

The official schedule sucks. The Replacements go against Spoon...and Lorde and Iggy Azelea are on a side stage? This is going to be a clusterfuck.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

That conflict does suck but Replacements right before Pearl Jam is going to be an incredible evening.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

They really should release the map when they release the schedule considering the stages are named by different sponsors every year. But I guess the Honda and Galaxy are the main-stages, the RetailMeNot (???) and the Miller Lite are the side stages, Zilker is probably the tent and then of course Austin Ventures and BMI
    Last edited by presclinton; 07-29-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    The official schedule sucks. The Replacements go against Spoon...and Lorde and Iggy Azelea are on a side stage? This is going to be a clusterfuck.
    Yeahhh Real Estate vs. Cults vs. Gramatik, J Roddy Walston vs. St Vincent vs. Sam Smith both really suck for me. Good 'ol ACL clusterfucks, they never fail

That conflict does suck but Replacements right before Pearl Jam is going to be an incredible evening.
    I was really hoping it would be Spoon, the Replacements on the side, then PJ to end the night. I'm sure Spoon will do an aftershow, but Gaslight Anthem to Mats to PJ is pretty inspired.

Yeah not too happy about St. Vincent vs. Sam Smith vs. J Roddy Walston but that's still a no-brainer for me. The answer is always St. Vincent.

Still glad I'm not going on Saturday. Blech.

I have a lot of tough decisions on Sunday. I was thinking about going twice to see both Pearl Jam sets, since I know they will be completely different setlists. Seeing the schedule now, I could totally make 2 full days out of the Sunday schedule.

Friday 10/3: The Preatures > Temples > Capital Cities > Lake Street Dive > CHVRCHES > St. Vincent > food > Belle & Sebastian > Beck > end of Outkast (maybe?)

Sunday 10/5: Haerts > M0 > Vic Mensa > Kongos/Jamestown Revival > Jhene Aiko > The Gaslight Anthem/Imelda May > Jenny Lewis > The Replacements > good spot for Pearl Jam

Sunday 10/12: Wood & Wire > Miniature Tigers > AFI > Cults/food > Fitz and the Tantrums > Chromeo/Phantogram > Spoon > Turnpike Troubadours > Pearl Jam

all depending on the aftershows, of course.
    Last edited by purplecow; 07-29-2014 at 04:45 PM.

I really hope we get some good night shows announced here soon

Agreed, St. Vincent is one of my must-see's. Unless she does an aftershow Saturday, which would be absolutely perfect.

Friday 10/10: Temples > Jimmy Cliff > GOLDEN PORT-A-POTTY LOL > St. Vincent/J Roddy Walston > Childish Gambino > Belle & Sebastian > Beck

Sunday 10/12: Miniature Tigers > Real Estate/Gramatik > Fitz & The Tantrums > Phantogram > Replacements > Lorde > Pearl Jam

There's a huge gap for me on Friday but other then that I'm content with this schedule.

Edit: VIC MENSA?! I had no clue he was playing weekend 1... Is he the consolation for Lorde?
    Last edited by presclinton; 07-29-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    The whole lineup is shite.
    i just now finally got the reference in your "location". I mean I never really noticed it before but then i read it just now and it just popped into my mind clear as a bell. Now I have it stuck in my head. Which is not bad thing at all. Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by presclinton View Post
    Edit: VIC MENSA?! I had no clue he was playing weekend 1... Is he the consolation for Lorde?
    I'm pretty sure he was always listed. Austin360 pointed out that they appear to have added Jhene Aiko on Sunday of W1 to balance out Lorde playing W2.

You should check out Bleachers, you might like them for your Friday gap.

I'm pretty sure he was always listed. Austin360 pointed out that they appear to have added Jhene Aiko on Sunday of W1 to balance out Lorde playing W2.

You should check out Bleachers, you might like them for your Friday gap.
    Ah. That really sucks... I would absolutely love to see him.

Thanks! I'll check them out for sure.

old school

On paper it looks awesome, but 1-2,000 PJ fans camping out all day may not be the best audience for Westerberg.

Only going Friday, but I'm just a casual Beck fan (and I've seen him before), so that's not much of a conflict for me. I'm extremely happy that St. Vincent will not be conflicting with Outkast.

Also, St. Vincent -> Bell & Sebastian is going to be great.