Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin City Limits Music Festival 2014

Default Austin City Limits Music Festival 2014

The lineup for ACL usually comes out in early May so we are just a couple months away. Any info or wishlist headliners? I'm really hoping Springsteen is booked for this. Two weekends of him would be two completely different shows and setlists.

Other possibilities:
    Pearl Jam
    Fleetwood Mac
    Coldplay
    Arcade Fire
    Prince
    Elton John
    Kanye
    Paul McCartney
    OutKast
    Avett Brothers
    DMB
    Beck
    Tom Petty
    John Mayer
    Gaga?
    Soundgarden (sub)
    Willie Nelson (sub)

8/1 Ray LaMontagne, 8/2 Sarah McLachlan, 8/4 White Denim, 8/5 Justin Timberlake, 8/14 Nine Inch Nails + Soundgarden, 8/22 Aerosmith + Slash, 8/24 Nickel Creek, 8/28 Bear in Heaven, 8/31 Little Dragon, 9/11 Delta Spirit, 9/20 Conor Oberst, 9/26 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 9/28 The War on Drugs, 10/3 & 10/5 ACL W1, 10/13 Paul McCartney, 10/18 twenty one pilots, 10/19 Erasure, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/23 Caribou, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent

Default Re: Austin City Limits Music Festival 2014

Outkast is kind of a given and that's enough for me. Hoping for a more interesting line-up in general this year, though.

NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

The Replacements will be there, fwiw.

Usually headliners get 90min - 2hrs, curfew is at 10pm. Bruce's show is 3 hours, so they'd have to either cut down his time or have him start on the main stage early.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

the cure consistently play for 3 hours or more and they settled for two at lolla and acl. shit, phich only played two hours at acl.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    the cure consistently play for 3 hours or more and they settled for two at lolla and acl. shit, phich only played two hours at acl.
    Agreed, Eagles are doing 3 hour shows too and they settled for 2 hours as well. Some of Bruce's shows are over 3 hours, but some are 2.5, so there's no reason he wouldn't agree to play a 2-hour, 25 song set. But they could give him 2.5-3, if they really wanted to.

8/1 Ray LaMontagne, 8/2 Sarah McLachlan, 8/4 White Denim, 8/5 Justin Timberlake, 8/14 Nine Inch Nails + Soundgarden, 8/22 Aerosmith + Slash, 8/24 Nickel Creek, 8/28 Bear in Heaven, 8/31 Little Dragon, 9/11 Delta Spirit, 9/20 Conor Oberst, 9/26 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 9/28 The War on Drugs, 10/3 & 10/5 ACL W1, 10/13 Paul McCartney, 10/18 twenty one pilots, 10/19 Erasure, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/23 Caribou, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent

old school

Bruce has agreed to 2 hour 30 minute sets at a couple different festivals on recent tours.

I feel like Arcade Fire plays this festival every year they release a new album.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyrider View Post
    The Replacements will be there, fwiw.
    Source?

I feel like Springsteen is mentioned every year and we never get him. I'd love him at the festival and honestly am surprised he hasn't headlined already since the mood and crowd of the festival would love it, more so than if her were at Coachella or Lollapalooza.

Arcade Fire is possible. They headlined three years ago (Muse had the same gap between headlining) and they're playing Austin in April which is well outside the clause. Outkast for sure, I really hope Beck returns also.

I'm thinking top 6 may be:

Springsteen, Outkast, Arcade Fire, Beck, something stupid like Foster the People, maybe they slot Avett Brothers in the headlining spot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    I feel like Arcade Fire plays this festival every year they release a new album.
    I think this is factual. Win and William Butler grew up in Texas, and they played in 2007 (Neon Bible) and 2010 (Suburbs). We should expect them to close out one night at ACL. They also have Aug 1-7 off, so it's not inconceivable they do Lollapalooza as well - they also headlined there in 2010. (Edit - I see they have two Chicago shows later in August... so unlikely. But those dates ARE free.)

I'm going to ACL one way or another.... and Lolla. Prefer Lolla for the larger layout and more trees and vendors and stuff, but they'll both be good times.
    Last edited by TomServo; 03-09-2014 at 07:45 AM.

old school

Announce after Arcade Fire plays Austin 360 Amphitheater on April 10th?

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Announce after Arcade Fire plays Austin 360 Amphitheater on April 10th?
    They usually announce the lineup in the first part of May
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Source?

I feel like Springsteen is mentioned every year and we never get him. I'd love him at the festival and honestly am surprised he hasn't headlined already since the mood and crowd of the festival would love it, more so than if her were at Coachella or Lollapalooza.

Arcade Fire is possible. They headlined three years ago (Muse had the same gap between headlining) and they're playing Austin in April which is well outside the clause. Outkast for sure, I really hope Beck returns also.

Springsteen, Outkast, Arcade Fire, Beck, something stupid like Foster the People, maybe they slot Avett Brothers in the headlining spot as well.
    http://artslaboraustin.com/here-come...in-in-october/

Longtime Austin music writer echoing the same rumor that's been going around since last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyrider View Post
    http://artslaboraustin.com/here-come...in-in-october/

Longtime Austin music writer echoing the same rumor that's been going around since last year.
    Thanks! Can't wait, I was bummed I miss the Mats last year, but excited to see them in April and now this. I was hoping they'd play Austin, I just thought they'd be at FFF.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post

Yeah I think this is pretty close.

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Arcade Fire - OutKast - Coldplay - Allman Brothers Band - Beck
    Avett Brothers - Replacements - Skrillex - Foster the People - Willie Nelson - Disclosure

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Arcade Fire - OutKast - Coldplay - Allman Brothers Band - Beck
    Avett Brothers - Replacements - Skrillex - Foster the People - Willie Nelson - Disclosure
    It's been a while since Willie has played, he own the city, he's always welcome. Not sure if the Allman Bros would fit the demographic, but still a possibility. And yes, fucking Disclosure please! Their show at Stubbs in January was fucking rad.

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post

I don't think Coldplay and Arcade Fire will both be there. They both played in 2011 and I would think that they wouldn't want 2 headliners from the same year.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

plus, you know, Coldplay sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I don't think Coldplay and Arcade Fire will both be there. They both played in 2011 and I would think that they wouldn't want 2 headliners from the same year.
    Replace one of them with Foo Fighters or Pearl Jam

Knowing how slow the ticket sales went for the first 2 weekend installment of ACL, I can see them getting a combination of Coldplay/Arcade Fire/Outkast/Bruce/NIN/Foo Fighters. They also need to make sure they sell out after the whole rain fiasco last year which soured plenty of people even though it was out of their hands.

It would be nice to see Neutral Milk Hotel again...

I remember reading something about NIN and Soundgarden possibly co-headlining a US tour together late summer, with an Austin date in August. This would obviously cross both bands off the list for ACL.

Can't rule out Arcade Fire, yeah they just played in '11, but Muse played in '10 and '13. These guys love Austin, and vice versa.

I think Beck is a relatively safe bet for obvious reasons.

I could see Springsteen because of Jazz fest and also because he is among the most requested artists every year.

Outkast duh.

I'd love to see ACL shock everyone and bring back Massive Attack. Such an impossible stretch, I know... but they headlined the fest in '06 and with their new show debuting this summer, the thought has crossed my mind... (wishful thinking). Why would Massive attack want to spend two weekends in Texas though? It's hard to imagine C3 luring both Springsteen and these guys.

Radiohead will surely be brought up more than ever this year because of AfP last year, but it's not happening. I feel like we're going to know as much about their new album at the time this lineup drops as we do now (nothing).

I'd absolutely love to see Modest Mouse as a sub if they finally finish their album.

A top bill consisting of Springsteen - Massive Attack - Outkast - Arcade Fire - Beck would look so weird but so good. Besides, it's not like the top of the lineup last year didn't look weird. Speaking of last year, I felt like that lineup was far more sophisticated as a whole than 2012 and '11, and I really hope that trend continues.

Those are my thoughts, take them as you will. I can't believe I'm already posting in the ACL '14 thread. Feels like 2013 ended yesterday.

ACL '13 was the most enjoyable fest I've ever been to. Had a great time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    ACL '13 was the most enjoyable fest I've ever been to. Had a great time.
    I'm assuming you went on the weekend that didn't get flooded out. We had a great time on Weekend 2 (Thanks, Samsung!) but I was supremely disappointed in the layout of the fest compared to Lolla and OSL. I thought it would be a much larger footprint with more foliage. But Austin is cool and we did have a great time.

I just remembered - it's an even numbered year, so The Black Keys may show up again.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    I'm assuming you went on the weekend that didn't get flooded out. We had a great time on Weekend 2 (Thanks, Samsung!) but I was supremely disappointed in the layout of the fest compared to Lolla and OSL. I thought it would be a much larger footprint with more foliage. But Austin is cool and we did have a great time.
    Yep, weekend 1.

I thought the layout was v.well organised. Everything was close without being too close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Lineup is being announced Tuesday, 4/22 @ 8 AM(CT). Weird, they usually do a midnight release.

Last year's ACL thread was much more active than this. Lineup reveal is in less than 2 weeks and we have no clue who is playing. Hmmm...

That's pretty early for them. They usually announce in May. That being said, looking at Lolla's lineup is usually a good indicator of some of the big names. I'd definitely expect to see Outkast there and maybe Jack White.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

lolla announced their lineup about 3 weeks early as well. i fully expect ACL to blow them out of the water. C3 has always cared more about the hometown fest.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    i fully expect ACL to blow them out of the water. C3 has always cared more about the hometown fest.
    I hope you're right.