Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate Those 2014 Artists You've Already Seen As Live Acts

Default Re: Rate Those 2014 Artists You've Already Seen As Live Acts

Arcade Fire - I've seen them four times, always great.

Caravan Palace - They played last summer at the Calgary Folk Fest. Great set, lots of fun and dancing. High priority for me.

Chromeo - Fun, a good time, but not a priority.

City and Colour - Worth seeing, but I won't be upset if I miss it.

Fatboy Slim - Great at the time, but it's been many years, so I can't comment on his current show.

Muse - Cool stage show, so-so music. I'll probably see them.

QotSA - Awesome.

AFI: saw them a couple of times while they were touring "Art of Drowning" and "Sing the Sorrow", arguably the peak of their career. Always had great energy and decent performance, but Davey Havock's whole gimmick gets pretty tiresome...plus I heard he can't really hack it live anymore. Not a priority.

Anti-Flag: yes, another from the Warped Tour days. I'd say essentially the same as AFI.

Mogwai: caught their set at Coachella '08(?) and thought it was fantastic. If you get it, then you'll dig it. If you don't, at least stop by for the end when they play "Mogwai Fear Satan" and get your face melted.

The Dismemberment Plan: saw them in December at the Fillmore and it ruled my life. The crowd was sort of ho-hum starting out, but the band brought it and by the end folks were in to it. Here's to hoping for a less lack luster group of people watching. Also, the set was definitely weighted with "Emergency & I" tunes...and let's be real, this is what the people will go to see. Won't be missing this set.

Arcade Fire: I am that "I was there in '06" guy when it comes to AF. And, as much as nothing may ever top that experience I am really excited about this set. It seems like they are really trying to do some interesting things with their performances in correspondence with the new album. If you have never seen AF they are a must at least once. Never have I seen a band have such an impact on a crowd.

Neutral Milk Hotel: saw Jeff Mangum's set in '12 and loved it, despite the completely lame crowd (mix of apathy and "this album changed my life, so let me tell you about it through the ENTIRE set"). I'll be making my way closer to the stage to hopefully join the fellow appreciators.

Quote Originally Posted by c2sts9 View Post
    FRI-

Zedd- Saw him during the day at Lolla a few years back. Nothing to write home about typical cheese EDM but his production should be great. 4/10

Girl Talk- You couldn't pay me to see this guy again 0/10

Chromeo- Love the energy and party this show is. I don't care what anyone says, I had a blast 8/10

The Glitch Mob- I am just not into the rap mixed into the EDM 2/10

SAT-

Muse- I enjoyed their live show. Awesome production, and no matter what anyone says Bellamy is a Wizard. 7/10

Skrillex- I would rather have my car running with the garage shut. Still a better show than girl talk 2/10

Foster the People- I don't like their music, but these guys brought it live when I saw them for $5. 6/10

Kid Cudi- Just not my style 3/10

Cage the Elephant- I was blasted at this show, but remember having a good time 7/10

Washed Out- they opened for FOALS a few months ago and I loved their set. I thought they sounded much better live than on record 8/10

Sunday-

Calvin Harris- Typical top 40 cheeseO 2/10

Big Gigantic- Love the Sax with the live show. Nothing amazing, but if you have never been I would go 6/10

Krewella- Kill me 2/10

Surfer Blood- I though these guys were solid. Not a huge fan of their new work 6/10

J Roddy Walston- Love these guys, they have a real old school rock feel 8/10
    i love how you choose to rate all the edm acts that you posted extremely poorly, but didn't bother to post anything about the "better" edm acts out there. do you choose to see what you would call shitty djs and only them? weirdo...

AFI - KROQ 2006. I was a casual fan at the time, decent set, but I have no interest anymore.
    Foster the People - KROQ 2011. Hated "Pumped Up Kicks" when it came out (found some appreciation for the acoustic version), and still dislike them now. Wasn't moved by their performance.
    Head / Heart - Most people here hate them.... I guess you just have to be in the right mood?? I ADORED their set (including set design). Soft folk. *On my must see list.*
    Cage The Elephant - KROQ 2011. I was drawn by what I'd seen on Fuse, but since seeing them, I've happily moved on. All I remember is the singer tripping balls and crowdsurfing for most of the set.
    Darkside - Very recent! Great usage of lights and fog (and mirror). Beautiful sound and energy.

Jesus Christ, I'm such a late bloomer.

The Cult – They were outstanding the 2 times I saw them.

Queens of the Stone Age – Seen them multiple times and have never been disappointed.

AFI – Saw them years ago and all I remember is they were loud.

MGMT – Have never been impressed the 2 times I’ve seen them at festivals and the one time I saw them in a small club.

Chromeo – Saw them from a distance the last time they played Coachella and was pleasantly surprised how much fun they were. Plus watching the giant dance party unfold was great.

Sleigh Bells – I guess I’m in the hate club. Couldn’t get through their set last time they played Coachella.

Cage the Elephant – The two times I’ve seen them at festivals they’ve been fun and energetic.

War Paint – They were lovely the last time they played Coachella.

Ty Segal – High energy and I’ll expect a fantastic show since he’s back with Mikal Cronin and Emily Rose.

Arcade Fire – Loved them at Coachella and OSL!

Beck – Has been hit or miss the 2 times I’ve seen him. Hoping for the hit this time around!

Motorhead – First time I saw them was in the early 80’s and I was blown away (as well as my ears) and I have not been disappointed since!

Toy Dolls – Again, saw them in the 80’s a couple times and they were goofy and energetic. Hope they bring it like the Buzzcocks did.

Fishbone – Never a boring set with Angelo.

Frank Turner – Expect a sing a long and a lot of fun.

Beck - Saw him at Outside Lands. Played all the hits, but with little energy. Still, the strength of his songs carried the set. I'm expecting something stranger and more fulfilling since he is touring his new (brilliant) album.
    Big Gigantic - Seen them three times now. I am not thrilled that they have pushed their production towards intense dubstep/electro rather than towards high energy saxophone jams, but they will still be a fun set I imagine.
    Calvin Harris - If he ever tours with a band again, see him then. Skip the DJ set though. (his live show at Coachella was amazing)
    Chance the Rapper - Do not miss. I saw him at Club Nokia in LA and he killed it. He did some of his tracks with an instrumental playing, but when he brought out his live band it was a whole different show. Brought a James Blake vibe to his sound.
    Chromeo - Their last Coachella set was fun, if a bit low energy. I am excited to see how they have progressed live.
    Duck Sauce - They are always a good time. With A-Trak and Armand van Helden you can't go wrong. Plus I believe their debut album is coming out between weekends 1 and 2, which is exciting.
    Flosstradamus - Really enjoy them live. Great energy, massive beats, cool visuals. See them if you like their music.
    Netsky I have only seen his DJ set, but he is a great producer. I'm sure whatever he brings will be great.
    Neutral Milk Hotel I saw Mangum and he was unreal. I am very excited to see what he does with the band, though I wish Robert Schneider was joining them.
    RL Grime Don't count on this being just another trap set. He is a great DJ and I'm sure he has something special planned for Coachella. I went to my first Coachella with him back in high school, and it will be surreal to see him on stage in the Sahara.
    Showtek I hope they play hardstyle still. I saw them at a tiny rave in Brooklyn a couple years ago and they were great, but I love their music.

Muse - seen twice, just on the most recent tour. Absolutely phenomenal. Then again, I'm a huge fan of theirs, but I think I can say without bias that the show is spectacular. They sound enormous, and don't lose any power live. Visually great too. There's a reason they are constantly regarded as one of the better acts around.

The Head and the Heart - spectacular live. Despite their mellow sound they play loud... they hit a bit harder in concert than on the record but it works surprisingly well. Great singers, they just own their harmonizing live. If they play near sunset it would be perfect.

Capital Cities - caught a bit of their set once playing at my school actually, and again at USC. Wasn't paying attention too much but I recall they sounded pretty good. All wore matching yellow blazers which looked interesting.

Washed Out - I remember being slightly bored by the show, but it was before I listened to them much (opener up for the Shins). Thought all the songs sounded kind of the same. However now that I actually am a fan I'd imagine I'll probably enjoy seeing him/them more.

Muse:
    Really tight set, incredible production and stage show. Setlist was garbage though (The 2nd Law tour) - 8/10

MGMT:
    Heard from everyone that they were going to be terrible, was pleasantly surprised. They sound really good and have great visuals, but they don't really "perform" per se. It did help that I was on acid at the time. But still a good 7/10

Head and the Heart:
    Saw em a few years ago at a festival, had never heard anything by them, but again was pleasantly surprised. Wouldn't say I'm going to check out their set, but if you're a fan they're pretty fun. 7/10

Rating out of 10 (n:10)
    Friday

The Knife
    I only saw them in 2006 when they were touring Silent Shout, but holy hot damn was that a show to remember. The visuals were stunning, they matched the music to a T and the song choice was perfect. I don't think I need to ever see them again, but if they capture even a tenth of the magic they brought that night, you'll leave happy.
    10:10

Girl Talk
    I've caught him at Coachella a few times before. It's been fun, dancy and unmemorable every time.
    4:10

Haim
    I don't think I've ever seen them play a headlining set or anything overly substantial, but I caught these guys as openers quite a bit a few years ago and they were always a ton of fun.
    8:10

AFI
    I caught them headlining the Girls Not Grey tour, and they were crazy and so much fun. I don't know anything since then.
    6:10

The Afghan Whigs
    I never really got into them in the 90s, but they were thrilling live and I would catch them again.
    7:10

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
    I've caught them a few times, and every time was a complete and total thrill. There are few bands that play more electric, thrilling and exciting sets than the Blues Explosion. I will catch them any time I can.

Anti-Flag
    I saw them about ten year ago, but I can't really believe they've done anything relevant since them. They hate the man, they play their songs fast, if you know them you'll love to sing along.

The Dum Dum Girls
    When I saw them they were bored and disinterested, and it showed through in the music. That said, they have great music, and a set with the proper care could be great.

Saturday
    Muse
    I saw them in 2004 and they were among the best live bands in the world. Fast forward to 2010 and they were bizarre but inessential. They're still raucous.

Queens of the Stone Age
    I caught them opening for the Rolling Stones, and they were a ton of fun. No idea how they'd be on their own.

Skrillex
    Terrible, absolutely terrible, when I saw him in the Sahara. Avoidable.
    1:10

MGMT
    I've seen them three times and been left disappointed each time.
    2:10

Nas
    If he does anything similar to his recent-ish sets, he'll be super energized and engaged, and it'll be a blast.

The Head and the Heart
    When the biggest thing I remember about you is a mic malfunction, you probably lack charisma.
    4:10

Sleigh Bells
    They sample Funkadelic, their guitarist was in a killer metalcore band, they just rock. I love these guys and I've always love their sets

Cage the Elephant
    The only time I saw them they blew up a tent at Coachella. They had great energy and really got a crowd going: I'd catch them again and would probably be happy that I did.

City and Colour
    Another I saw at Coachella. He used to be in hardcore bands, and now he emotes. It's a simple formula if you're old enough

Warpaint
    When I saw them, they were a fantastic band, playing their songs tightly as the snow fell. I can't guarantee I'd like their set without the winter weather, but it's entirely possible, as they were quite good.

Mogwai
    Don't miss them. They're gods of rock at this point and they put on a better show than almost any other act on the lineup. They're so loud and focus it ain't silly.

Ty Segall
    I've only seen noisy Ty, but if he does that you're in for a huge treat. The guy burns a guitar up every time he touches it. So much fun.
    9:10

Sunday
    Arcade Fire
    When great, they are the best live band we have around right now. That last Coachella set was otherworldy and their set in 2005 was better than you ever heard. If they decide to play like gods, then they'll deliver like the same. A supreme act.

Beck
    I love his sets, even if they're not "fun." He always plays so many great tracks and sings them honestly. Don't get outbounded expectations and you won't be disappointed.

Superchunk
    They're always fun. I've never been disappointed, and I've never been thrilled.

Factory Floor
    Oh dear god, if you can see them do. They need a dark set and a small room to truly crush everyone around, but they're just a great live act.
    9:10
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

WARPAINT -- 10. THAT IS ALL.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    WARPAINT -- 10. THAT IS ALL.
    Exactly this.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by genemarty View Post
    i love how you choose to rate all the edm acts that you posted extremely poorly, but didn't bother to post anything about the "better" edm acts out there. do you choose to see what you would call shitty djs and only them? weirdo...
    Is reading comprehension not your strong suit? this is rating acts WE HAVE seen.. There are plenty of electronic acts I am very excited to see at coachella... I just posted the stuff I HAVE seen and it just so happens most of the stuff I have seen on the coachella bill this year I am not that into... I work for a music promotion company so I go to a lot of shows I do not really like the music going into.

If I was writting about electro acts I am looking forward to-

Netsky, Tiga, Laurent Garnier, Guy Gerber, BICEP, Caravan Palace, The Knife, Disclosure, etc etc.. I could make up a rating for these acts? is that what you are looking for?

there are PLENTY of DJ's I HAVE seen I would not rank low-

Prydz, Justice, Chemical Brothers, 2manyDjs, Simian Mobile Disco, etc.. they just so happen to not be on the bill this year

Quote Originally Posted by c2sts9 View Post
    Oh and I hope you get Aids!
    Be pissed, indignant, snarky, profane, whatever. But do not go there.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

No one has seen/is rating all the acts that I am most excited to see...I guess that's a good thing?!

Zedd: I saw him open for Deadmau5 a few years ago and it was fun, haven't seen him lately but other people have said it's still a good time
    Gareth Emery: He played in between Arty and Armin at ASOT 550 at Beyond Wonderland 2012 and it was incredible, and while it's not exactly trance it's the closest you'll get on this lineup
    Anti-Flag: Saw them with Less Than Jake a few months ago and it's still just as awesome as when I was 14
    Title Fight: I've seen Title Fight a few times and they are always an absolute blast live. If you ever listened to Blink 182/Jawbreaker/New Found Glory you need to check these kids out
    Fatboy Slim: Fatboy is the fucking man. I saw him at EDC last year and it was one of my favorite sets but his set at Nocturnal was pretty similar to EDC. Not a lot of old stuff but he's still got that Fatboy swagger
    Dillon Francis: I hate moombah but he was entertaining when I saw him on IDGAFOSanta but I wouldn't see him again.
    Netsky: Go see Netsky. He murdered it at Nocturnal and converted me to a DnB fan and I've heard the live show is even better.
    TJR: I absolutely hate bounce and so I did not enjoy his set when I saw him last Halloween but he has mad skills on the decks, I'd say better than Craze but not as good as A-Trak, so if you like the music definitely go
    Disclosure: One of my absolute favorite sets of Sasquatch last year
    Alesso: Alesso is always solid and one of the only big room house DJ's I will still go see
    Big Gigantic: Absolutely awesome at Mad Decent San Diego until they blew the power, they've gone towards pretty hard electro but its fun to see them play live
    Krewella: Krewella is a joke don't waste your time. The girls just stand there and sing while the dude does all the work. Imagine all the scene kids who used to go to warped tour for the Devil Wears Prada and Attack! Attack! until they discovered methylone and got into really shitty brostep
    Fishbone: Fishbone is awesome, the lead singer has tons of energy and skanking is the best
    Maceo Plex: I randomly wandered into Maceo Plex with no idea who he was at Beyond 2013 and was absolutely sucked in. My friends were trying to go to Dash Berlin and I straight refused to leave. If you like the deeper styles or are curious at all definitely check him out.

I’ve seen 34 of this year’s Coachella acts live over the years – the furthest back being Bryan Ferry (Roxy Music) in ’79.

Only gonna individually rate the acts I’d like to catch again this year (that’s still 21 of them!) and leave out the other 13 (Chromeo, Dum Dum Girls, Haim, Zedd, ZZ Ward, Muse, City and Colour, Foster the People, MGMT, Sleigh Bells, The Naked and Famous, Big Gigantic, Little Dragon) who I’ll pass on seeing again at Coachella. These 13 I’d rate 6/10 or lower (Haim at the bottom, like 4/10).

Need room for new (to me) acts like GOAT and Woodkid and Syd Arthur and John Newman, etc..

So…

Friday

Austra9/10 Sweet, eerie, dancey synthpop, strong female vocals (best on the bill) and really wonderful live (just last fall). One of the 3 or 4 acts I am most looking forward to this year. Told my wife to expect Austra (and Washed Out; we love both bands) to be at this Coachella and I’m thrilled I was right.

Bryan Ferry7.5/10 Loved Roxy Music live at the (now long-defunct) Cleveland Coliseum in ’79. “Love Is The Drug”. Though ’79 was a long fucking time ago, of course.

Grouplove7/10 Happy hippie lovefest both times I caught them recently. Expect same again.

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion6.5/10 Hard, high-energy, well-crafted, and funky roots-rock guitar music, but points off because the sneering “fuck everyone” attitude was unnecessary and a bit tiresome (back in ’02 at the Metro in Chicago near Wrigley). It’s possible to bring the noise w/o being a cursing, condescending prick on-stage (see: Mogwai).

The Replacements7/10 Oberlin College in ’83, with some 80s band from England (don’t remember who). Played stuff from “Hooteneany” which was good (not too punked-out). ’83 was also a long fucking time ago, so what Westerberg and Co. sounded like way back then may have little relevance now. I’ll see, I guess.

Saturday

Capital Cities6.5/10 Sure, mainstream corporate dance-pop, but it was really fun mainstream corporate dance-pop at Life is Beautiful last fall. Plus Spenser the trumpet player brings it.

Darkside – 9.5/10 Need more superlatives for this cosmically-trippy as well as dancey duo (and the mirror thing is really cool). Truly fantastic show back in January at the Crescent in Phoenix. Can’t wait to catch them again (must be at night in the Gobi or Mojave). One of the very best acts at this year’s Coachella, and in the top tier of live acts I’ve seen in 45 years of concert-going.

Empire of the Sun6.5/10 “Gimmicky” because they wear those Inca priest/spaceman outfits? Who cares? They were a lot of fun both times I caught them (Coachella ’11, and Life is Beautiful last fall). Significantly better live than on record, with a pretty cool light show and everyone dancing. OK, the molly helped, but that was only the one time. “We Are the People” – love that song!

Mogwai9.5/10 Like Darkside, need more superlatives for this absolutely great musical outfit. “Post-apocalyptic” sounds bad, but with these gods of music it’s not. Like post-rock Wagner on acid or something. Caught them just once so far, on business in Toronto summer of ’12. Visceral and trippy at the same time, like the soundtrack for the end of the world, and the second-loudest band I’ve ever heard since my first concert in ’69 (Swans a couple months later in the fall of ’12 was the loudest, but in a smaller venue). Don’t miss these guys.

QOTSA7/10 At the now-defunct Nita’s Hideaway in Tempe in ’03. Solid rock’n’roll performance – lit that little place up and everyone had a good time. I like their latest stuff on record and I’ll be interested to see how the band’s grown in the past decade with all the personnel and life changes.

The Dismemberment Plan7/10 Also at Nita’s Hideaway, in ’02, with Death Cab. Good dance/noise rock, loved the performance of stuff off their excellent album “Emergency & I”, the rest was ok. Liked Death Cab’s performance a bit better, as I recall.

Warpaint9/10 Love their music, caught them live just once so far (at Coachella ’11). One of my favorite finds from that year. Dark and driven dream pop, tightly played and sweetly sung. Can’t wait to hear them again, hopefully at night this time instead of the afternoon. Wonderful recorded music, even better live.

Washed Out – 9/10 Another band whose music I love. I do understand the dislike of those who find Ernest Greene’s music bland or whatever (he doesn’t, you know, rock the fuck out or anything) and I suppose the criticism I’ve read of his earlier live concerts rings true, but the performance I caught at Iron City in Birmingham last fall was magical, where they played a good cross-section from their several records, including the new gem “Paracosm”. Chill, dreamy, evocative of nature, and by turns both dark and bright (the music on “Paracosm” is appreciably less-nocturnal than earlier tunes). The sold-out crowd of mostly 20-somethings were into it the whole time. So I take it Washed Out stepped it up from earlier tours. If you like Washed Out’s music you’ll love them in their current live iteration. If not, you have other choices at Coachella ’14 and can leave Washed Out to dumb fucks like me who lack your obviously-superior music taste.

Sunday

Arcade Fire9/10 All the good stuff everyone else has said about them. Caught them 3 times so far, best was the great Saturday night headlining set at Coachella ’11. Not to be missed, I say.

Beck8/10 Seen him 3 times, very good each time, including the most recent at Life is Beautiful. An icon who didn’t disappoint live.

Classixx6.5/10 Saw this duo open for Toro Y Moi last fall. Good electronic modern sort-of-disco, but nothing spectacular. The crowd wasn’t too into them at the beginning, but warmed up and then it was a dance party. They should be fun in the Gobi, particularly if it’s at night (not really daytime music, I think).

Disclosure7.5/10 Best live set of the 3 electronic duos here (Classixx/Poolside). These Brit brothers made the several thousand of us who stuck around till midnight in the ridiculous sandstorm closing out weekend 1 Coachella last year happy to do so (my eyes were red for days after). Just a great way to end the festival despite the weather.

Poolside6.5/10 A lot of fun at Life is Beautiful. Might catch them again at Coachella depending on conflicts.

Preservation Hall Jazz Band7.5/10 New Orleans jazz by the best. Not my favorite musical genre, but they were just excellent when I saw them play in New Orleans in the 90s, and I recommend at least part of their Coachella set to anyone. These guys are virtuoso musicians. Again, not every band needs to rock out or get you jumping (I feel silly enough at my age most times dancing at shows as it is, not doing it to jazz).

Starfucker8/10 Stupid name, really fun band live. Their recorded music is fine, but live they really take it to another level. They obviously enjoy interacting with the audience, and are the antithesis of the self-important Blues Explosion. Caught them 3 times the past several years, each one a sold-out show at the Crescent in Phoenix. They were a blast each time and the audience ate it up from start to finish. Stoked that they’re playing Coachella.

Superchunk7.5/10 Saw them in the fairly-long ago time of ’95 (the Metro – which was called something else then, I think – in Chicago). Quintessential 90s alt-rock, done well live. “Slack Motherfucker”, great tune.

Kate Nash -- 8.5 if you like punk-ish chicks.

Chromeo -- 8/10. Watched some of their set at Coachella in 2011 and then in Phoenix and both were fun sets. They have a good amount of energy on stage. If you're a fan of their music, then they are worth checking out.

Anti-Flag -- 2/10. Saw them in the early 2000's. Don't bother.

Muse -- 9/10. My opinion of them live goes right in line with what virtually everyone else is saying. They are great live, sound crisp and their production is strong. I am not a huge fan, but if they don't conflict with Nas, Pet Shop Boys or Empire of the Sun then I will likely watch their set.

Queens of the Stone Age -- 9.5/10. It's been many years since I have seen these guys live, but I saw them at Coachella 2002 and 2003 and both times they were great. Josh Homme's performances were captivating. Made me a fan.

MGMT -- 4/10. Boring live. Only saw them once, though (Coachella 2010). I have actually read more positive reviews of their live shows recently, but I still read many of the same complaints.

Empire of the Sun -- 8/10. If you have yet to catch them live, I advise doing so. Very interesting stage show and they sound pretty good live.

Fatboy Slim -- 9/10. The rating should be taken with a grain of salt because I saw him at Coachella 2001, when he played big beat and house.

Nas -- 6.5/10. I caught him in the early 2000's and he was awful. No stage presence, only did portions of songs. Then I saw him with Damian and it gave me hope. I will be at his performance hoping he puts on a special performance playing Illmatic.

Cajmere -- 8/10. It's been many, many years since I caught a Cajmere set, but I saw him in LA in the early 2000's and it was a very captivating house set. Very calming vibe to it but a strong enough beat to keep you moving.

Arcade Fire -- 9/10. Their set at Coachella three years ago was certainly memorable. Even though they are returning so quickly, I am excited to see if they can top that performance.

Lee Burridge -- 7.5/10. Saw Burridge numerous times in the early 2000's and even watched a bit of him in the Sahara in 2002. Very good, dark, progressive house, but I am not sure what he is playing these days. I may watch depending on conflicts.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Arcade Fire -- 9/10. Their set at Coachella three years ago was certainly memorable. Even though they are returning so quickly, I am excited to see if they can top that performance.
    Saw them two nights ago. I think they got this.

Friday

Chromeo - 6/10 - Had little choice but to watch as I was trying to get a good spot for PJ Harvey in 2011. It was fun, but nothing real memorable. It was certainly much better than I thought it would be.

Neko Case - 8.5/10 - I saw her in 2009. She has a strong voice and is pretty captivating.

The Glitch Mob - 5.5/10 - Saw at Lolla in 2009. Eh, it was ok if you're into that sort of thing.

Dum Dum Girls - 7/10 - Saw them last week, and it was a little sloppy. The well-played songs sounded very good, but they were somewhat inconsistent. My favorite song off of the new album, "Rimbaud Eyes," didn't really translate well live.

Saturday

Muse - 9.5/10 - One of the best live bands I've ever seen. Their Coachella 2010 set was maybe the best Coachella set I've ever seen (in 5 Coachellas attended). I only took off a half point because the newest album material is so bad.

Queens of the Stone Age - 5/10 - Saw them at Vegoose 2007 and was bored.

Sleigh Bells - 5/10 - Decent amount of energy, but I just don't like their music.

Cage the Elephant - 5.5/10 - Saw them at Coachella 2009 and it was very unremarkable.

City and Colour - 7.5/10 - A pleasant enough afternoon set at Coachella 2011.

Mogwai - 10/10 - One of the most intense engulfing concert experiences of my life. My body is still reverberating from seeing them 3 years ago.

Warpaint - 9.75/10 - Saw their set at Coachella 2011 and it was brilliant. Hypnotic. Chill-inducing. And it was during the day out in the sun. These chicks are so damn good and my #1 act for Saturday.

Ty Segall - 4.5/10 - I saw him last night, and I was severely disappointed. Maybe that type of garage rock just isn't my thing in concert, as I do like all of his recorded material. The band was sloppy and the whole thing sounded like a muddy mess. He definitely plays loud and brings energy, but I think it takes more than that to put on a good show. I left after 30 minutes or so.

White Lies - 4/10 - Saw them in 2009 at Lolla and it bored me.

Sunday

Arcade Fire - 9.5/10 - I can't add much to what everyone has already said. One of the very best working live bands when they're on.

Little Dragon - 7.5/10 - Saw some of her set at Coachella in 2010, and it was decent enough. Might score higher if I was more of a fan, but it was good.

Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue - 8/10 - This will be a party. There's nothing musically groundbreaking here, but it will put a big smile on your face.

Superchunk - 5.5/10 - I was a little underwhelmed by their set at Coachella in 2009. I know I saw all of it, but nothing stood out.

I think we can all agree that the point of this thread is that Warpaint is the one act you're a total fucking asshole for not seeing if you happen to not see them. ASSHOLE.

Quote Originally Posted by swdshfsk View Post
    Neutral Milk Hotel: saw Jeff Mangum's set in '12 and loved it, despite the completely lame crowd (mix of apathy and "this album changed my life, so let me tell you about it through the ENTIRE set").
    you summed up that set perfectly.

"Tori are my indian feathers straight? OMG I LOVE THIS SONG!!! do you have any chapstick? Haylee does? well where tha fuck is sheeeee? omg she was supposed to meet us here 20 minutes ago for Jeff Magnum..."
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Sounds like outside lands
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

FRIDAY
    Mako--low key, they're awesome. not a huge name yet but they have some wonderful sounds

Zedd--even though i've seen him 3 times, i'm still going to try to catch part of his set. he just wows it every time. awesome presence and lights; creates an awesome energy

SATURDAY
    Dillon Francis--i've seen him twice. first time was AWESOME, second time was horrible. i love his music but not sure i'll bother to catch him this year

Netsky--saw him awhile ago and he was great

SUNDAY
    Adventure Club--love their music, hate their live shows. they just suck. i'm not sure what it is. they can't move a crowd and they don't add anything to their music, it basically just sounds like you're listening to their songs on your iPod

Big Gigantic--one of the best shows i've ever been to. they're incredible. i'm a sucker for sax!

Flosstradamus--i lose it everytime i see them. these guys are hilarious and they know how to work the crowd and their music is filthhyyyy at a live show

Krewella--they're ok...i used to love them but they're far too pop-y for me now. not going to waste my time
    Dum Dum Girls | MS MR | Deorro | Bastille | Carnage | Ellie Goulding | Shlomo | Glitch Mob | Chromeo | FLUME | OutKast

Cage the Elephant | Banks | Bombay Bicycle Club | Kid Cudi | Dillon Francis | MGMT | RL Grime | Lorde | Queens of the Stone Age | Nas

STRFKR | The 1975 | Naked & Famous | Flosstradamus | AlunaGeorge | Little Dragon | Disclosure | Arcade Fire | Lucent Dossier

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I think we can all agree that the point of this thread is that Warpaint is the one act you're a total fucking asshole for not seeing if you happen to not see them. ASSHOLE.
    I've been trying to hit acts on my Coachella list here in NYC as a backup plan for conflicts. Saw Warpaint at Bowery Ballroom in 2011, so it was a no-brainer to see them at Wesbter Hall last night. They were great again and left me leaning towards seeing them as opposed to a potential conflict. In that setting, it'll be a stupendous act.

Found a live video from the show of a song newer than the current album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtsbVul6au8

zedd - 3/10. cheese, untz untz untz, cheese.
    a$ap ferg - 6/10. have seen him appear as a guest at drake, 2 chainz, etc. etc. etc. and do shabba ranks. would check out cuz i think it could be fun.
    grouplove - 2/10. one-hit wonder i'm afraid. even if you'd call it a hit...
    anthony green - 8 to 8.5/10. i love this guy. have been following him for years, and have seen him with circa survive more than any other band, ever. plus, circa introduced me to coachella when they played in 2007. always brings the energy to his set. wondering if the circa boys will be accompanying him...
    tom odell - 7/10. potentially a one-hit (or one achievement?) wonder, also, but the guy puts on a good show.
    muse - 9/10. three dudes, huge sound... boring repeat headliner, opera rock, but worthy from what i saw in 2010.
    foster the people - 7.5/10. just saw these guys at mhow, and they actually really brought it. some of the songs that i think are from the new record sound great (one that seemed real shoegaze-y). but i don't know what the lead singer would be doing if he was not in a band... and his voice kinda gets irritating.
    mgmt - 3/10. go for kids and then leave.
    sleigh bells - 5/10. they could be great, since they are soooo loud. and fun.
    cage the elephant - 8/10. i don't know why these guys get such a bad wrap. they are great live and are one of those bands you can tell are really doing it for the love of the music they make.
    washed out - 8/10. ernest is one of my favorite people, ever. does a great mix of new and old (classic) washed out in his more recent sets. and he happened to play the one song i love from within and without (far away).
    arcade fire - 6.5/10. saw a near to full set from them at bonnaroo in 2011. don't get me wrong, i like a lot of their stuff, but maybe it was a bad day, since i hear their coachella set that year was of legendary proportion. i would go just to see rebellion to try and hope they try to emulate their coachella 2005 set, lol.
    disclosure - 6.5/10. i love these boys, but when i saw them at ultra weekend 2 last year, it was dreadful. yes, it was during the day, but it was dreadful. then i saw them at their own show in central park last summer, and they brought it. we'll see if they bring it again this year.
    little dragon - 8/10. love love love. yukimi is amazing.
    alunageorge - 7.5/10. george is a great producer, aluna has a very unique voice... from what i've seen, their live set is something like what james blake does, but i feel that aluna could bring it more.
    art department - 4/10. don't really get this genre of music...
    ratking - 8/10. i don't listen to these guys. i didn't know who these guys were until i caught them opening for king krule this past fall. soooo much energy and it's just a fun show. to me, it's like the hip hop version of swans or something. lol. would not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Just saw ty segall last weekend in vegas at a small bar venue and he was great. Their encore consisted of 2 AC/DC covers and a van halen cover which was pretty weird but also pretty great. Can't wait to see him for a third time next month!

I might be the only person who likes Ty Segall on record but didn't like his live show, so maybe disregard what I had to say about him in my post.

Not proud of the artists I have seen who are on this year's bill. Only one I hope to catch again is TNAF.

Friday:

Haim - Average. Saw them on the Mumford GOTR tour and was very impressed, have liked them less and less each time after that. Danielle is a great front-woman but their shtick gets old.
    ZZ Ward - Worth seeing early in the day. Saw her as a small act at Telluride Blues and Brews. She brings good energy and has solid live vocal ability.
    Grouplove - Bubbly. Another GOTR act, feel good but a bit shallow.

Saturday:

The Naked And Famous - Killer, killer show. They have the sing-a-longs but also some awesome tracks off the new album that they can really jam out to. Awesome mix of production and live instrumentation. Dig the girl/guy co-vocalists.
    Skrillex - Not worth it. Saw him at 'roo in 2012, granted he was on a big stage and we were a bit far back but his music sucks live.
    City and Colour - Unique. Dallas Green has a special voice. Very chill set but great for a mid-afternoon slot.
    Foster the People - Indifferent. Another 'roo 2012 act. I like the first album but they were so poppy and stiff live. Mark Foster came off as a bit arrogant too.

Sunday:

Big G - As it has been said. Dig the sax but they are getting a bit too cheesy/dubby.

Has anyone seen Bear Hands live?
    www.yupstermusic.com

8/8-10: Outside Lands
    10/5: War On Drugs - The Fillmore
    10/8: Fink - The Independent

Quote Originally Posted by zachsquatch View Post
    Has anyone seen Bear Hands live?
    I have seen a bear's hands live when I was in the mountains once.