Thread: First time at Coachella, getting a media pass

Default First time at Coachella, getting a media pass

Hello,

I am going to Coachella weekend two this year, it will be my first time going to the festival. I've been writing concert reviews for an LA-based music blog grimygoods.com since late last year and will be going to cover it for them, meaning I'll be getting a media pass.

I was wondering if anyone else here has been there on one before and could let me in on some advice for a first timer? I've been to Outside Lands and Life is Beautiful as a fan but never to a music festival as a media member.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks!

Default Re: First time at Coachella, getting a media pass

Grimy goods, huh? Are you the one that writes the listicles that takes pictures of people in unflattering positions and creates posts making fun of them? I used to follow you guys until your posts like that started popping up.
    Last edited by CaseSensitive; 03-05-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

To answer your question though, that media pass is going to be awesome. Browse the forum a little more and you'll find some pretty helpful beginners guides.

No, I just write reviews, mostly of concerts, sometimes of albums.

Keep up the good work. Sorry to be bitchy. I just remember two posts from FYF making fun of some girls' cellulite and thinking it was intended for more of a teenage audience. You basically have the best pass though. Say hello to Tucker

So are there any restrictions to a media pass? Like can you bring any type of equipment you want or do you have to even tell them ?
    Last edited by levi760; 03-05-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by levi760 View Post
    So are there any restrictions to a media pass? Like can you bring any type of equipment you want or do you have to even tell them ?
    That's exactly what I am wondering. I'm sure I'll find out closer to the festival but it would be nice to have a heads up from someone who has experience with this.

You could give me your media pass, so that I could gain some experience on this.
    And in turn, I'll repay you with all of my knowledge on the rules & restrictions. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEOrtega View Post
    That's exactly what I am wondering. I'm sure I'll find out closer to the festival but it would be nice to have a heads up from someone who has experience with this.
    Well I've seen people with media passes carrying some nice DSLR cameras ...Allowing that I'm sure they would allow even nicer/larger equipment; probably whatever you are willing to carry....the question is though-who would want to carry a lot of heavy equipment all day?

Quote Originally Posted by levi760 View Post
    the question is though-who would want to carry a lot of heavy equipment all day?
    I have a good friend who is an agency photographer that has worked the fest the last six years. He takes a shit load of gear. It's more than you or I would ever want of lug around. But he's not there to have a good time. He takes good fucking pictures and he gets paid for it. Bring the gear you need to do the job. Granted covering the fest primarily as a writer isn't the same as covering it for Getty Images so don't overdo it either.
    ______
    1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Yes, I will be there primarily as a writer. Just mostly wondering what kind of stuff they have setup as far as charging stations, etc., so I know what I need to bring. I have one of those Mophies for my iPhones but was thinking of purchasing an extra one for the festival so I never run out. I usually take notes on my phone, but could take notes on a notepad during the day when lighting is good and then use my phone at night when things are dark.

Aside from actually being a performer, this shit sounds like my dream job.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

The dream job I would do for free. Take a Go-Pro with you, trust me.

I hope you don't block my view which your huge ass camera. Carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I won't be bringing a "huge ass camera", I'm not there to take pictures. We will have a photographer with us.

The photo pass for your photographer will allow her or him to bring in what ever gear they use. If video cameras are part of their packages, they probably put themselves at risk of being told to not shoot video. What's they type of equipment prompted you ask your initial question.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEOrtega View Post
    Yes, I will be there primarily as a writer. Just mostly wondering what kind of stuff they have setup as far as charging stations, etc., so I know what I need to bring. I have one of those Mophies for my iPhones but was thinking of purchasing an extra one for the festival so I never run out. I usually take notes on my phone, but could take notes on a notepad during the day when lighting is good and then use my phone at night when things are dark.
    I know GA has some spots for powering up your phone, but not sure how extensive they are. There are large power stations, so-to-speak, in the VIP areas, which I believe you should have access to with your media pass. Just make sure to bring your charging cable.
    I hope to someday die of spontaneous human combustion, and in my final moments, I want to give each and every one of you a hug.

If I recall correctly there's also a Media Hospitality Tent that looks like it has power and such, Its either between the mojave and gobi or between the mojave and sahara in the back stage area.