Thread: I need your advice...

Lurker

Question I need your advice...

Hey everyone. I'm from South Florida and for the past few months my family and I were planning to fly over to California for Weekend 1 of Coachella. We were supposed to book everything including flights & tickets this past weekend for my birthday, but my dad found out this past Thursday that he can lose his job at any moment so those plans kinda fell through.

I just turned 17 and have been saving up for Coachella. Every penny/bill I got went into a jar for 5 months until I was able to raise about $600. More than enough to buy a pass. Now that my parents won't be attending my trip to California due to financial issues, I am really considering flying out with my 24 year-old sister since both of us can pay for planes and passes. I spoke with my dad tonight and he basically told me I could do whatever I wanted to do but he also made it seem that if I did book the trip and go, he wouldn't be the happiest. I'm getting to the point in my life where I am trying to not be so reliant on my parents regarding financial matters with things I want to do. Some things my dad brought up in our discussion today was that my sister may not be eligible to rent a car from the airport at 24 (as we would be flying to LAX). Do anyone know if this is true and what the age limit is?

Also, I've been talking to a guy from New Jersey for a few days about a pass he is selling and he sent me a text that he received his pass in the mail today. He wants me to tell him by tomorrow morning if I am going to buy the ticket. However, after the talk I had with my dad, I am not so sure what to say at this point. I was thinking of buying it and worse case scenario, I try to resell it towards the end of this month if I really can't attend. That way I have a pass while still figuring everything out. What do you guys think? Should I buy it or should I wait it out another week or so and find someone else willing to sell me their pass?

I just need advice and since I'm not getting much from my parents, I figured I would turn to this forum in hopes of finally getting my shit together because I want nothing more than to attend this year. OH and another thing. This is probably the only chance I can attend Coachella since I will be a first year college student next year and my sister will be heading to Pennsylvania for Medical School.

Any help is much appreciated and please, if you have nothing nice to say, please understand you will be completely disregarded. Thank you!

Default Re: I need your advice...

1. Your sister can rent a car at 24 though it may be more expensive than if she were 25 or older. Shop around. Call the rental car agency to reserve.
    2. Try to find a ride to and from the airport (LAX?) from someone on this board (vs. renting a car).
    3. Be nice to your dad but still go to Coachella.
    4. Don't buy any pass for more than face. And buy it when you are 100% sure you (and your sis) can go.
    e. Go to Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

i say choose another fest. something closer to you.
    the trip would be incredible if you could pull it off but that is too damn far away from home to not have your own financial safety net.
    try bonnaroo. anything on the east coast you will save lotsa money

I agree with the first two posts. Yes your sister can rent a car, NEVER pay above face for a pass, and be nice to your dad. It also sounds, to me, that this entire situation is causing you some anxiety. Why not save a ton of money and maybe go to HangOut. Much closer to you. With the money you save you can start saving even more for next year and get on the pre-sale. Or....pack up and head to the promised land and go balls out at Coachella. Either way have fun and be safe.

Lurker

Thank you all so much for replying and offering your insight. Yes, it is causing me large amounts of anxiety because attending Coachella was suppose to be my little escape from reality as I've been going through a lot lately and music is the only way for me to sit back and enjoy life. I know that may sound cheesy but its the honest truth. If I were to tell the guy from NJ, that I wont be buying the ticket, do you all think it would still be possible for me to buy a pass within the next two weeks max? Or will it be too late? I'm just not sure how close to the event its recommended to have everything settled by.
    Thanks again!

Is be afraid of third parties unless you use stubhub . They are the only ones who will make sure you get in to coachella . Passes will be available all the way up til the day of .
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

i had a friend recieve his ticket from stubhub the thursday before the fest and we drove that night.
    obviously thats impossible for you due to distance. having your ticket on the way by at least two weeks before the fest is ideal.
    if you dont mind me asking? why coachella? as opposed to any other festival?

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I'm buying my pass last minute like always. You'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

do you get it cheaper than face value?

Lurker

My main reason of choosing Coachella over other festivals is the fact that Outkast and Lana are both on this years lineup. I will look into Bonaroo and Hangout but I still prefer Coachella haha.

Okay glad to hear I wont be the only one booking last minute if I do get to go at all

My sister's friend was able to buy a pass for $150 the day before the festival last year. Didn't know the seller either just worked out like that

Don't fly across the entire nation practically just for two acts. There's plenty of festivals on the east coast with outkast playing. Not sure about lana.

yeah sorry lana. Outkast is everlastin'

I'd like to commend you for taking the time to work this out. I have the feeling that your Dad would like for you to go and have a great time, but if the stress of his possible loss of his job is looming over his head, then understand why he is hesitant for you to go. While this will be my 10th Coachella, it has not been consecutively because some years I just didn't have the funds and had to postpone. So I understand wanting to attend and not being able to.

I'm in agreement with the folks who say a ticket can be found in the days before W1 and/or W2. So if it comes to that, it can happen. Keep checking Stub Hub, doing research about getting to LAX and the to Coachella Valley, and try to remain optimistic. If it doesn't happen this year, it could happen for you next year, or the year after that. Coachella does not seem to be going anywhere for the next several years according to this L.A. Times article: http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr...xpand-20130403 Tell the NJ Guy that you are sorry but you can't commit right now. If things change for you in the future, you'll check in with him to see if he was able to sell the ticket. If he did sell it, no worries, because you will have done your homework and know where to look for a ticket.

However, I am also in agreement with folks who recommend that you postpone Coachella this year, and look to festivals closer to you. I just looked up Outkast Tour Dates and I see that they have 3 dates at festivals in and around Florida in late April/mid May. This may work out for you better logistically, and help you get some training in for your future trip to Coachella. You may even have enough money left over that you can attempt another local festival later in the summer. (And your Dad may be more at ease since you will not be far away in the event that something catastrophic happens.)

Whatever you choose, keep your options open. I wish you the best of luck.
    Last edited by SoccerRyot; 03-05-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Daaang. Typos.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

shuttle from LAX to Indio

http://valleymusictravel.com/coachella_shuttles.php

do you have any idea where you're staying? that's probably your biggest issue at this point. if you can figure that out, i say go.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerRyot View Post
    I'd like to commend you for taking the time to work this out. I have the feeling that your Dad would like for you to go and have a great time, but if the stress of his possible loss of his job is looming over his head, then understand why he is hesitant for you to go. While this will be my 10th Coachella, it has not been consecutively because some years I just didn't have the funds and had to postpone. So I understand wanting to attend and not being able to.

I'm in agreement with the folks who say a ticket can be found in the days before W1 and/or W2. So if it comes to that, it can happen. Keep checking Stub Hub, doing research about getting to LAX and the to Coachella Valley, and try to remain optimistic. If it doesn't happen this year, it could happen for you next year, or the year after that. Coachella does not seem to be going anywhere for the next several years according to this L.A. Times article: http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr...xpand-20130403 Tell the NJ Guy that you are sorry but you can't commit right now. If things change for you in the future, you'll check in with him to see if he was able to sell the ticket. If he did sell it, no worries, because you will have done your homework and know where to look for a ticket.

However, I am also in agreement with folks who recommend that you postpone Coachella this year, and look to festivals closer to you. I just looked up Outkast Tour Dates and I see that they have 3 dates at festivals in and around Florida in late April/mid May. This may work out for you better logistically, and help you get some training in for your future trip to Coachella. You may even have enough money left over that you can attempt another local festival later in the summer. (And your Dad may be more at ease since you will not be far away in the event that something catastrophic happens.)

Whatever you choose, keep your options open. I wish you the best of luck.
    Whoa thank you so much for the advice! I decided today that it is probably best for me to just look into other closer festivals for now and start planning for next years Coachella. I'm already going to 8 other concerts over the time span of the next few months so I guess that could also make up for it.

On the bright side, I bought a new pair of Nike's I've been wanting for awhile, with the money I had saved up for a ticket. Thanks again to everyone who replied and I hope you all have a great time