Joel Plaskett Emergency
    Rhye
    Killer Mike
    Earthless
    The Julie Ruin
    Bob Mould

http://www.sledisland.com/

Default Re: Sled Island 2014

Great start. Going to try to make this happen. You forgot one of the most important ones: Chelsea Wolfe.
    Last edited by Boourns; 03-04-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

It's a great fest. Last year was pretty tragic with the terrible flooding we had in the city (and subsequent cancelling of the fest two days in). Glad to see they are coming back strong.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
    It's a great fest. Last year was pretty tragic with the terrible flooding we had in the city (and subsequent cancelling of the fest two days in). Glad to see they are coming back strong.
    70% of fans declining refunds in exchange for 2014 passes and financial stability was a HUGE vote of confidence.

Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

Considering this.

Doing this. Just need to secure press pass and flight.
    Last edited by Boourns; 03-19-2014 at 05:53 PM.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

I wish I could take the train. Canadian rail does not appear to be an option for Calgary.

old school

Canadian rail is awfully expensive. If you want nice views for a potentially cheaper price I'd say drive from Vancouver to Calgary (or through Washington and up into the Kootenay region of BC). Or fly. But you should really see British Columbia and all it's beauty.

More band announcements coming April 2nd.

Anciients
    Bass Drum Of Death
    Black Atlass
    Black Cobra
    Blitzen Trapper
    Dead Ghosts
    Deadbeat
    Disappears
    Dominic Pierce
    Each Other
    Elliott Brood
    Fiver
    Hunx and His Punx
    Jay Arner
    Jerusalem In My Heart
    Julianna Barwick
    Jung People
    La Luz
    Mindtroll
    Mise En Scene
    Mission of Burma
    Natasha Kmeto
    Old Man Markey
    Power Trip
    PS I Love You
    Quaker Parents
    Red Sea
    Renny Wilson
    Roman Polanski’s Baby
    Royal Canoe
    Screaming Females
    Shannon & The Clams
    Sheer Agony
    Shooting Guns
    Slow Down, Molasses
    Solids
    Technical Kidman
    Temple
    The Blind Shake
    The Fresh & Only’s
    The Lad Mags
    The Punk Singer
    The Shivas
    The Shrine
    The Standfields
    Tough Age
    U.S. Girls
    White Lung
    William Tyler
    Wilt
    Young Braised
    Younger Lovers

Can I recommend Royal Canoe? Yes, I will recommend Royal Canoe.

"This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption." - Malcolm Tucker

Kathleen Hanna and Julie Ruin cancel due to a Lyme disease recurrence:

http://www.sledisland.com/slog/2014/...nces-cancelled
    "This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption." - Malcolm Tucker

Schedule is up. You'd think the headliners for the bigger, ticketed club shows would have longer sets, but in any case:
    http://www.sledisland.com/schedule/2014-06-18

Chelsea Wolfe/Killer Mike/Mission of Burma/White Lung/etc conflict on Thursday night. Dan Bockner's new band Operators has been added.
    Last edited by Boourns; 05-27-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Schedule is up. You'd think the headliners for the bigger, ticketed club shows would have longer sets, but in any case:
    http://www.sledisland.com/schedule/2014-06-18

Chelsea Wolfe/Killer Mike/Mission of Burma/White Lung/etc conflict on Thursday night. Dan Bockner's new band Operators has been added.
    Which are some of the bands you're looking forward to? I haven't had much chance to research all the bands I've never heard of before.

Quote Originally Posted by BobCaygeon View Post
    Which are some of the bands you're looking forward to? I haven't had much chance to research all the bands I've never heard of before.
    I know a good portion of bands on this line up (there are a ton of great local B.C. acts at the fest - as usual). Give me some dates/ times where you have nothing going on and I will make some recommendations for ya.

Once showcase I would recommend is the Mind Records party at the Commonwealth on Friday the 20th. Supermoon is a female fronted 60's/70's fuzzy garage-pop band with insanely catchy tunes, Renny Wilson is a sleazy yacht-rock/ disco guy with a solid backing band and a fun live show, and Tough Age are jangly garage band comparable to Guided By Voices.

Also, I will also recommend BeatRoute BC's Cotton Candy party on Thursday at Bamboo. For one: BeatRoute BC is the magazine I work for. If you see Glenn, say hi, tell him you know me, and he may get you a beer. Second: Free cotton candy. And the bands are great too. B-Lines are local legends in Vancouver. So Cal Descendants-esque punk with a vicious yet humorous edge. Frontman Ryan Dyck is absolutely mental and totally hilarious. Always a fun live show. NEEDS are a hardcore band that kind of sound like Fugazi meets The Jesus Lizard. Their frontman is a nutcase on stage and the nicest, chillest dude off the stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

How much was your flight to this, boourns?Spiritualitized into St Vincent into Earthless sounds great.
    Translation

Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    How much was your flight to this, boourns?Spiritualitized into St Vincent into Earthless sounds great.
    Zack, if you do go to this, make it a PRIORITY you go to Tubby Dog. Best fucking hot dogs in the world. I have a feeling you would dig the place. It is my Mecca.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Oh I can not make it this year or any other distance festival this year. I am just interested in how much it cost to do this festival. It sounds like a really good time.
    Translation

Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15

Last.fm

I've only been once, but I had a fucking blast and half the time I did go to Sled Island. Super easy to get into all the shows (as soon as venues open for the night shows, run around and get stamps at all the venues you want to attend that night and you will have no problems), lots of great day parties (not the scheduled ones… the ones in backyards and such… keep your eyes and ears open), easy enough to get between most of the main venues (as long as you are willing to walk… the far aware venues you will need to taxi to, but there are only a couple of em. Oh, and one of my taxi drivers told me where to get "goodies" for the festival), and all the event/ venue staff I encountered were very friendly and helpful.

Also, Tubby Dog.

Buying my flight tonight. Last I checked it was $364.

Looking for tips on stuff to see during the day and need some gaps filled here and there.

Wednesday night I'll hit Republik and check out Operators. Probably get there a little early for that one, yeah? Looking for tips on earlier acts to catch.

Thursday...Killer Mike Artist Talk, Natasha Kmeto, Radioheaded 2: a Listening Party to Watch, then hang out at the venue Chelsea Wolfe is playing. Would it be too late to try and catch Mission of Burma after Chelsea finishes at 1am? Or is there something conveniently located in relation to the venue?

Friday..Screaming Females, Neko Case, Dan Deacon. Need some gap filling. Dan Deacon shows at NXNE last year were quite popular, enough that people were stuck queuing and missed the whole thing, so I should probably get there a little early, but not too early. I arrived at his secret gig in a hotel basement a couple hours early and the room had 5 people in it at the time. An hour later, though, it was overstuffed.

Saturday...Technical Kidman, White Lung, then...hmm. Want to catch some Spiritualized, but how much? Absolutely no way I miss St. Vincent. Her venue holds under 500 people and that show is the only one whose tickets are sold out. They will be letting wristband people in as well, but it will be limited. So how early should I get there? Also, I'll be there working the event so I need to be up front for photo purposes for, well, everything I see, since apparently the only stage that has a photo pit is Olympic Plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Zack, if you do go to this, make it a PRIORITY you go to Tubby Dog. Best fucking hot dogs in the world. I have a feeling you would dig the place. It is my Mecca.
    A Calgary staple. The stuff of legend.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

I'll make sure to try it. I think my friend may have actually mentioned that place.

Samantha Savage Smith is playing again this year. She's a local girl whose last album was on Arts & Crafts, and she got a little bit of a push from them. It's been two years since then, however, and she's been struggling to get her next album out it appears. I still like her quite a bit, and I might try to see her again.

Here's a video I shot of her two years ago now. Still my favorite song of hers, and I particularly enjoy the leg kick at 3:08.

I wrote this up for Frank, but figured I would share this here. A list of smaller/ lesser known bands on the line up I would recommend checking out. Some of them I absolutely love... some of them I would never pay to see on their own but would gladly see them at a festival. I will let you be the judges. Anyways, a few of these only have one official show, but I can guarantee if they interest you, you root around their fb or contact the band directly, they may tell you about some extra day time parties they are playing. I went with my friends band in 2012 and they only had 1 official show, and ended up playing 5 shows in 4 days at Sled.

Fountain - http://www.sledisland.com/2014/fountain

Dead Ghosts - http://www.sledisland.com/2014/dead-ghosts

Tough Age - http://www.sledisland.com/2014/tough-age

B-Lines - http://www.sledisland.com/2014/b-lines

NEEDS - http://www.sledisland.com/2014/needs

White Lung (make them a priority) - http://www.sledisland.com/2014/white-lung

Dead Soft (my personal favourite local Vancouver band right now) - http://www.sledisland.com/2014/dead-soft

Renny Wilson - http://www.sledisland.com/2014/renny-wilson

B.A. Johnston (recorded music is meh, live show is a riot) - http://www.sledisland.com/2014/ba-johnston

woolworm - http://www.sledisland.com/2014/woolworm

Johnny De Courcy - http://www.sledisland.com/2014/johnn...-death-rangers

Flint http://www.sledisland.com/2014/flint

old school

Apparently Neko Case was a complete no-show at this festival and without any valid reason.

Rumour is she didn't like the flight given to her by promoters and bailed. Word got out to music fans in the area.

Someone I know that works for ffwd said it was because of a DUI. She was denied entry at the border.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Denied at the boarder?... But she is Canadian.

Oh I didn't know she was Canadian. I know a lot of people were pissed she wasn't there and this person mentioned a DUI. Maybe she got a DUI and was held up?
    Last edited by ThatGirl; 06-25-2014 at 07:19 AM.

I don't know the reason she didn't show up, but Neko's not Canadian.