Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Listen

Default First Listen

A thread for when we finally get around to haring that classic album everyone else knows and loves, or when we discover some underappreciated album that leaves a strong impact on the first listen. This is for older stuff, not new releases. Every music fan has a couple of albums they've always meant to get around to but haven't had the time to, so this is a place to share first impressions once you finally do hear something. It's also a place to encourage people to finally give those albums a listen. Obviously, it'd be insane to talk about every new-to-you album you ever hear in this thread, so just keep it to important stuff, either something that is generally considered to be a big deal or something that really amazes you and makes you wonder how you went so long without hearing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Default Re: First Listen

I immediately think of Van Morrison's - Moondance.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dillycup View Post
    I immediately think of Van Morrison's - Moondance.
    How about you actually say something about it, instead of starting the precedent that this thread just be another pointless list.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Last year, I finally got around to listening to Sebadoh's Bakesale

It happened through my wanting to revisit Folk Implosion, whom I became a fan of after the popularaity of the single "Natural One" in the early '90s, but never really did any kind of research. but at this time, i decided to read about them and became interested in other things Lou Barlow had been apart of. i had heard of Sebadoh before, but didn't really know a whole lot. But holy shit! This was such an incredible find for me, and only one of a lot of albums from the '90s that I missed the first time around but have been getting into in the last 10 years and have totally fallen in love with. This is not only a record I kick myself for having not listened to for the past 18 years, but also doesn't really sound dated and it just fucking great.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I found that in a thrift store in Victorville back when I was 12 or 13, so probably '97ish. That is a major jam of mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    How about you actually say something about it, instead of starting the precedent that this thread just be another pointless list.
    oh sorry, chief.

This album was seconhandedly recommended to me by my boss, a very straight laced guy from NC who i never thought i'd share any musical tendencies with. I walked in to his office and caught a glimpse of the album, just very easy listening stuff with some beautiful horns. after getting home, i decided to kick back and actually give this album a listen, since then ive been spending a lot of time with it. it may only be me, but there is an extremely nostalgic sound on a lot of this record that just hits me in a great way. to me, the record is a culmination of Van's ability to write great catchy melody, while also allowing for his songwriting to be more open. after diving deeper into his work i feel his albums are somewhat conceptualized in the sense of sound, not an overall lyrical concept driving the albums, more of a place in time captured by this mans music. Listen to the first 5 tunes on moondance, great example of his abilities.

Bakesale is such a great record. It is my favorite Sebadoh.

I just listened to Nightclubbing by Grace Jones for the first time a couple days ago and was blown away. I really only knew her from Conan the Destroyer, which is ridiculous.

I know this has been recommended on the board before but it slipped my attention. It is early 80s disco/new wave/funk/reggae and it is glorious. This has energy, this has teeth. Several of the songs are covers, such as a great version of Bill Withers' "Use Me".

I am now exploring more of her records; Warm Leatherette was in a similar style and quite good; I think Portfolio is up next.

Also I didn't realize that "Demolition Man" fits into the same fun category as "These Days" and "Pablo Picasso", in each case the writer wrote the song for someone else but also recorded a version himself making the attribution non-trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Yeah, that album is great, I've really only began to appreciate it as a whole in the last year, really only listened to single songs off her albums for the most part. It was produced by Sly & Robbie too. I don't think she recorded another album as strong as Nightclubbing from what I've heard, but she's still one of the most fascinating, offbeat pop artists of the 80s. Her comeback from a few years ago resulted in some good songs too, if I remember correctly.

Dr. John - Gris-Gris

I listened to this for the first time today, and it really floored me. There is a ton of depth to this record, lots going on in the background, and the backup singers provided a really incredible element.

Question for bmack or whoever might know - can you recommend other albums like this? Is this a completely one-of-a-kind record or are their other albums from this era/sound/Louisiana etc.? This whole thing just came across as so organic - like he wasn't forcing anything. I've always kind of hated Creedence Clearwater Revival for being so exploitative of that region of the country (you can sing in the style of a part of the country without being so on the nose about it..."Born on the Bayou" and John Fogerty's from the fucking Bay area).
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Ha. Kind of funny that I actually really like CCR and you don't, since you tend to be a much bigger fan of classic rock than I am.

I listened to the Dr. John album for the first time within the last year or so and enjoyed the hell out of it, although I haven't gone back to it yet, but I really need to.

There's not much out there like the first Dr. John album. His second one is still fairly psyched out, but he got progressively less weird as his career went on, even though he stayed pretty excellent.

So when my wife let's me take her CRV out for an errand I get to listen to Little Steven's Underground Garage on XM Radio without interruption and it's often times a treat. These guys pop up n rotation quite often and goddam if they didn't sound a little like Green Day. So yeah, jokes on me.

This record is remarkable in that it sounds like Green Day went on a weekend bender of red wine, greenies, Ramones, Kinks, Monkees, Stooges, Dickies, and had some far out fun with an 8-track. Billy Joe sounds like Billy Joe but less pissed-off and more "hey dude, let's party." There is one song that runs over 3 minutes, Broadway, and they should have tossed it.

The rest flows like a legitimate garage band debut. One two three four one two three four. The Pedestrian is 2:16 of pop genius/ripoff.

Third best Green Day album.
    Last edited by santasutt; 03-04-2014 at 08:54 PM.

I got assaulted and choked by a security guard at a Foxboro Hot Tubs show. Other than that, it was a good time.

I came in here to write about one of those albums I'd not listened to in forever, but each time I hear it I'm reminded of how oddly brilliant it is. Brainiac was a truly great spastic synth-punk group from the 90s that fell apart too soon due to the death of their crazy and intense vocalist. Afterwards, guitarist John Schmersal went out on his own with the group Enon. Their 2002 album, High Society, sounds like the logical conclusion of the path Brainiac was chasing on Hissing Prigs in Static Couture. Rather than veering into danceable moments, the group ratchets up the tension throughout the first half of the record, betraying a Fugazi influence in their strong sense of dynamic. However weird they wind up getting with their synths and angular guitar attacks, though, they never forget to write catchy and memorable songs. As a result, the album leaves a huge impression and rewards repeated listens.

I am not sure how much I've listened to whole album but "Natural Disasters" is such a great song. I should visit/revisit!

Dr. Strangely Strange - Kip of the Serenes

I listened to this album today, which was part of Genesis P. Orridge's list of favorite albums on The Quietus recently. It's a neat enough little cute super-British sounding psych album, nothing I found to be that remarkable though.

This post is more to point out that Genesis made that list and to remind me to listen to everything on there.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Oooh, I gotta check out that list.
    Never heard of Dr. Strangely Strange and I dig this album cover. It's very cliche for the time, but the chicken mask is a subtle twist.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

I had never heard, or really even knew about Paul and Linda McCartney's album Ram but its pretty fantastic (on vinyl)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

The first time I heard that album I was having lunch on the deck of a ski area and I thought it was a Beatles album I'd never heard. It's so fucking good, and Paul seems to completely ignore it. I like that it basically has the template for Man Man on Side 2.

I listened to Blood Visions by Jay Reatard for the first time today - and then I listened to it about six more times in a row. I've been meaning to listen to him for a while, and now I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. This thing is relentless, raucous, deranged and catchy. Christ, I'm gonna go listen to it six more times.

When he was good, he was really goddamn good. I think my favorite release of his was the 2008 singles collection. It's just great front to back.

John Fahey - America

I listened to this for the first time the other day. It's pretty hard to distinguish music people like Fahey make, a lot of it sounds a lot alike. So good, though. Ever since bmack introduced me to Sea Changes & Coelacanths: A Young Person's Guide to John Fahey a few years ago, I had meant to listen to more and this was just great.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Soft Machine - Third

This blew my mind today. If you haven't heard it stop whatever you're doing and put it on right now.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I first met my good friend and radio cohost at UCLA back when you could still share your iTunes library across networks in iTunes itself. We lived on the same floor, and this quiet dude one day knocked on my door and introduced himself because he saw I had some Can records in my library. We got to talking and he gave me a copy of Soft Machine - Third with the assurance that I would love it. He was not wrong. That guy also recommended to me The United States of America's self-titled record to me. I think you'd dig the hell outta that if you've not heard it. Also, Robert Wyatt, the drummer for Soft Machine, has some excellent solo albums, chief among them Rock Bottom. He made that after he broke his back and became paraplegic.

Wow, Robert Wyatt was the drummer for them? Had no idea. That was the one thing that really jumped out at me while listening to the album, how fucking amazing the drumming was. And yeah, I've heard that The United States of America album, so good. I do need to get around to more psychedelic classics from that era, though.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Another first listen, another just fantastic experience.

Matching Mole - Little Red Record

It's hard to sum up this one - there's bits of ambient sounding stuff, lots of free jazz, just an incredible record. I was just about to joke how the drumming on this one, as with that Soft Machine record, was so good that Robert Wyatt might as well have been the drummer again but I just looked it up and apparently this was the band he formed after he left Soft Machine hahaha! Listen to this!
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Soft Machine have been in my queue of artists to explore for a few years but I have not gotten there. I think Rock Bottom is amazing and like it alright. Hmm.

This album is THE SHIT.

Baby Grandmothers - Baby Grandmothers

Swedish psychedelic trio that put this album out in 1969, absolutely fucking insane. Someone on ? referred to them as a Swedish Can (yes and no), this album is pretty much just awesome scuzzy jamming from beginning to end. I have a feeling that maybe bmack has heard this one? Either way, ridiculously good. Check it out!
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Holy hot damn, I just finished listening to Let There Be Rock by AC/DC. Shellac, circa 1976. There are a few riffs that Steve Albini has to have lifted damn near wholesale, they're so vicious, biting and brittle. The production is so much more stripped down compared to the more lauded AC/DC records, and it really serves the band well. If they could have kept up this sound and intensity, they may not have been as famous but they would have certainly been even more impressive.

TomAZ would be proud.... Of course I've always heard of Elvis Costello, but I never gave him the time of day. I always just lumped his name in with Rod Stewart, Bon Jovi, etc.. Hahah how wrong was I? Recently I started working at a record store and one of my coworkers, who's seen him like 18 times or something, turned me onto him. Holy shit! Very amazing. I've listened to his first three records a lot the past few days, and they're all great but I think this one is my favorite.

And this is definitely one of the greatest album openers ever

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory