Thread: If you go both weekends...

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Lightbulb If you go both weekends...

What's the approach ...?
    Do you split the line up so you see different bands each weekend or do your plans change after weekend 1 and end up doubling up?
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Default Re: If you go both weekends...

I go weekend 1 with the girlfriend, and let her see what she wants and let her make some of the calls and allow her to have a good time. Weekend two i can make up what I missed the weekend before and get way more fucked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

rich pricks

Haha.....law away plan buddy. I see everyone I really want to see on Weekend 1 then catch who I missed on Weekend 2.....saw Dre both weekends though!!!!!!

On Weekend 1 I just mainline beef jerky and go wherever the endorphin rush takes me. The second weekend I'm more conservative and will only take in modest amounts of jerky chew. It makes for a good dichotomy.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Have gone both weekends the past 2 years and will be going both this year as well. My normal plan of attack is to do Coachella weekend one how I would do it if there were only one weekend. I see all of my "must see" acts and make the hard decisions when it comes to conflicts, i.e. seeing one band i love over another because i've already seen one and not the other or seeing the act I've seen live less. I still end up doing some split sets, and run around the fields trying to see as much music as humanly possible. But having the luxury of weekend 2 I get to be a little more relaxed, I see the stuff i didnt get a chance to weekend one, and I tack on acts that I hear good reviews about from weekend 1. I still do double up on some acts if there aren't any other tempting options or I spend more time in the YUMA/SAHARA just dancing and having fun. I definitely take in more of the art and other activities w2 and move at a more leisurely pace. This has worked for me so far and I feel like both of my Coachella weekends end up being vastly different experiences despite being the same lineup. Worth the $$$ imo.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

I approach it as one 6 day festival. I break it down based on who I'm going with each weekend and try to draw it up so I'm around my group for most of the time. If I have any must sees, I go see them week 1 just in case I want to double up and see them twice. I also try to limit my repeats and take more chances in week 2. Maybe an extra Yuma set or some r&r in the back of the Mojave in the afternoon. Usually I have about 5 acts I'll see both weekends. This year it's Arcade Fire, Outkast and QOTSA going in. But if someone blows me away week 1, I'll be back week 2.

Also, having week 2 eases your mind when you have the dust storm from hell blowing you away like last year week 1 Sunday night disaster.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    I go weekend 1 with the girlfriend, and let her see what she wants and let her make some of the calls and allow her to have a good time. Weekend two i can make up what I missed the weekend before and get way more fucked up.
    wknd 2 you say......
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I research the lineup pretty extensively before so i know who i'm generally going to see. When the set times get announced that is when I really start the planning.

I try to see as many artists that I can. I'll usually build up a schedule around the set times of both weekends can allows me to see as many full sets of artists that i want to see as possible. After that i start discussing with our group who they plan to see, and rearrange based on some of the groups major must sees.

I usually end up missing early afternoon acts because I'm too slow to getting ready and in, and will miss a couple artists because friends changed their plans while I'm with them and I decide to stay with them. or sometimes I don't want to deal with getting through the crowd for an artist, and decide to skip it weekend 1 in the hopes that weekend 2 is less packed. (I've only done both weekends for the first time last year, and even then the conflicts prevented me from seeing all the bands that I really wanted to see, I suspect the same will happen this year.)

Oh and something I plan to incorporate this year, is if i'm not feeling an artist I decided to see, I'm going to leave the set and go see my 2nd choice because maybe it's just an off set or maybe they just aren't as good live, but you can always read others reviews between weekends and decide to give them a second chance or not on weekend 2.

Agree with musicismyboyfriend... attack weekend one like it's your only weekend, and then just relax and go with the flow second weekend. I'm always on such a rigid schedule that being able to just relax and wander around with different friends whose tastes don't normally align with yours makes it an entirely new festival experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    To be fair, the chromosomal differential between candy raver kids and drunken NASCAR cowboy-types are virtually indectable.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    mmblack = Paul Tollett

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by erselone View Post
    Haha.....law away plan buddy. I see everyone I really want to see on Weekend 1 then catch who I missed on Weekend 2.....saw Dre both weekends though!!!!!!
    It's still spending almost $800 just on tickets alone. I mean, that a ticket to ply to Europe right there.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Also someone should totally go both weekends and camp out on a different stage each day and report the experience. Some media outlet should provide a ticket to someone to do this. I'd read that.

Quote Originally Posted by trigbees View Post
    Also someone should totally go both weekends and camp out on a different stage each day and report the experience. Some media outlet should provide a ticket to someone to do this. I'd read that.
    KROQ Ken does this already. And whats the use? Since some media outlets have multiple people attending the festival, so they stick to their assignments, which would cover a good portion of the line up. I shot 60 acts over the course of weekend 1 last year. Mightve been a few more if I didnt need to sit down and eat some food. And why dont you pitch that to somebody and see if theyre willing to let you write the story.

I went both weekends in 2012 but like last year and this one I'm just going to Weekend 2.

The broadcast Weekend 1 is just too good to miss and it informs what I could miss or what I must catch Weekend 2.

I can't imagine doing it differently now.

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    KROQ Ken does this already. And whats the use? Since some media outlets have multiple people attending the festival, so they stick to their assignments, which would cover a good portion of the line up. I shot 60 acts over the course of weekend 1 last year. Mightve been a few more if I didnt need to sit down and eat some food. And why dont you pitch that to somebody and see if theyre willing to let you write the story.
    Wow. What a titanic waste of time. 60 acts in one weekend? So how many complete sets did you see? Do you actually care about the music? Or do you prefer to just have bragging rights for how many shots you got? Yikes. I saw 57 different full sets last year in the 2 weekends. That is what it's really all about.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Mostly because I don't actually know how to go about pitching the idea to any media outlets, I've never done it before...

I tried to see if KROQ Ken had some blog posts, or had articles he'd written or anything to indicate that he had done something along the lines of what I was thinking, and only really managed to find that he posts on these forums and is at the rail for whatever artists he likes. Is that what you meant, or could you link me to some posts in which he has documented this experience?

As for the question, "whats the use?" honestly it's just a random idea I had that I thought might interest people. I've seen blog posts on stupid crap like "Music festival experiences based on what we found on the ground at the end of the night" or "How each stage of a festival compares based on what flags are visible in the audience during a given set." I thought hell if these are postable content, why not this idea. I know there are multiple people covering a majority of the artists on the lineup, but that wasn't what I was focusing on, if you staked out a stage each day you would miss a ton of the festival, but you'd have a pretty unique experience, one worth writing about.

I aint going both weekends and likely never will - was just wondering how the planning process differs

cant leave it to chance can we?

This is my first time going weekend 2. Looking forward to being able to learn from the weekend 1 broadcast this year.
    Dede' Arneaux

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

are you going to watch the webcast wknd 1? i'll probably spend all three days in a dark room crying.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    are you going to watch the webcast wknd 1? i'll probably spend all three days in a dark room crying.
    Yes I'm intending to

dark room - 3 days - to avoid any surprises? That'll need a dark room for a week
    Dede' Arneaux

I'm going both weekends for first time this year...going with friends weekend 1 with a heavy classic rock lean, and my son weekend 2 whose a rap fanatic...so my guess is that's how my two weeks will break down...hit most of the Old Timers, hard rock, punk, and psych rock acts week 1, Rap, teeny-bopper and electronic acts week 2.

Should make for two very different experiences. Can't wait.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

What do you mean "if", Dede, of course I'm going to both weekends. What am I, a farmer?

The plan of attack is totally different for W2:

1) Any inconvenient set time issues that came up for the first weekend are remedied - there's no longer the need for "half sets" if you don't want to rush things
    2) There's less on the "must see" list, giving you time to wander around and enjoy the atmosphere or something you were on the fence about
    3) Worried that wrapping a piece of Spicy Pie around a Turkey Corn Dog will give you temporary botulism? No worries, there's always next weekend when you can do a cleanse diet.
    4) You know if and when there's going to be something special happening, so it makes it easy to get a camera ready to snap something neato during W2.

We camp W1 and then get an airbnb W2 and drive in. It's like a vacation from vacation. Worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Should make for two very different experiences.
    It will be, it always is.
    Last edited by Fourthisto; 03-03-2014 at 05:11 AM.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Quote Originally Posted by MusicIsMyBoyfriend View Post
    Have gone both weekends the past 2 years and will be going both this year as well. My normal plan of attack is to do Coachella weekend one how I would do it if there were only one weekend. I see all of my "must see" acts and make the hard decisions when it comes to conflicts, i.e. seeing one band i love over another because i've already seen one and not the other or seeing the act I've seen live less. I still end up doing some split sets, and run around the fields trying to see as much music as humanly possible. But having the luxury of weekend 2 I get to be a little more relaxed, I see the stuff i didnt get a chance to weekend one, and I tack on acts that I hear good reviews about from weekend 1. I still do double up on some acts if there aren't any other tempting options or I spend more time in the YUMA/SAHARA just dancing and having fun. I definitely take in more of the art and other activities w2 and move at a more leisurely pace. This has worked for me so far and I feel like both of my Coachella weekends end up being vastly different experiences despite being the same lineup. Worth the $$$ imo.

pretty much everything said here. unfortunately the last two years i've gone so hard weekend 1 that i end up with some sort of respiratory disease by weekend 2. more likely it's just due to sharing a polo field with 70,000ish other people (one of which sneezed right on my pizza while walking by last year without covering up. thanks fuckhead), but i'm sure the dust and dirt doesn't help.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Weekend 1 - I go to acts I want to see.

Weekend 2 - I go to other acts that have been highly praised, or otherwise sound interesting, based on forum/interwebs discussion. I also go back to the acts from Weekend 1 that I want to see again.

Then there's Stagecoach.

Three weekends, bitches. Just sayin...
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Anyone staying in Indio/Palm Springs for the week in between?
    "common sense is not so common." - mark twain