Thread: Thursday night - Chella or Palm Springs?

Post Thursday night - Chella or Palm Springs?

We are newbs. Looking at going and setting up camp Thursday morning but we have a hotel room at Palm Springs as well (friend who we're travelling with but not coming to gig) is it worthwhile staying at the campground on the Thursday night or tripping back to our Hotel and staying Thurs night to bus/shuttle/taxi etc back to the ground Fri morning? We're kiwis who want to meet as many interesting kids as possible but don't want to loneranger at the grounds on the Thursday night if P. Springs will be more interesting....

Also, any suggestions how to meet friendly folk beforehand, we're coming for a good time not a long time and our average wage would suggest this is something we'll only get the chance to do once!

Default Re: Thursday night - Chella or Palm Springs?

YOU ARE TOTALLY DELUSIONAL IF YOU THINK FOR ONE MINUTE THAT COACHELLA IS SOMETHING YOU ONLY DO ONCE.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    YOU ARE TOTALLY DELUSIONAL IF YOU THINK FOR ONE MINUTE THAT COACHELLA IS SOMETHING YOU ONLY DO ONCE.
    What this guy said, your life will forever be changed Coachella Weekend.

i pmed you
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

Ain't that the truth!
    Quote Originally Posted by jck83 View Post
    What this guy said, your life will forever be changed Coachella Weekend.

The Marilyn Forever statue will be gone, but there is the Village Fest on Thursday nights.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    The Marilyn Forever statue will be gone, but there is the Village Fest on Thursday nights.
    Dammit... Had I known that the Marilyn Forever Statue wasn't actually, forever, I would have made a better effort to go pay my respects... I mean, she's only been here in the desert for like 2 years, right?
    Anyway, there are pros and cons for both options Thursday Night, and being that this is a new experience, the OP should just go and see where Coachella takes them... I'm assuming they have a camping pass, and depending on the importance of camp spot location, it would be best to set up camp Thursday morning in order to be closer to the entrance...The only problem is whether or not the friend with the room will get upset about playing Lone Ranger by them selves if these two should decide to just hang out at the Villiage Fest forming in the campgrounds. If there's any time when the Coachella Vibe is in full bloom, it's on Thursday Night... People have waited and anticipated this weekend, they've traveled for miles to be there, and stressed out over tickets and campgear, etc...As the party gets started, it's almost as if you can hear a collective sigh across the fields as some try and rest for the next day, and others just start right in on the next day.

If Thursday night is the only time they'll have in Palm Springs, and the only chance they may see their travel companion all weekend , then maybe staying at the room and getting in that one last shower and comfy bed before a crazy unforgettable weekend begins.
    Then again...the two of them could dress up as Silver and the Lone Ranger and just skip through the campgrounds yelling, "Hi-ho, Silver, away," with those wonderful KIWI accents!

Stay at the campgrounds...there is nothing like it. I worked as security about 4 years ago and that was so overwhelming that I had to attend...There's no other way to do it besides camping. I've never stood in a hotel for it but I would never want too...the campgrounds are sometimes just as fun as the actual venue...its all one experience. Hotels don't fit in haha

Hahaha thanks broken doll. I fear that may be the case. We can totally live in a box for half the year to keep this a tradition. The ranger back at the springs is well aware total abandonment is a likely outcome so it looks like Thursday night on the field.

I anticipate the collective sigh, I'm sure we'll be contributing. In our wonderful Kiwi accents!

Lurker

Hehe Meowm.. I though 2006 was going to be my first and probably last Coachella.. but here we are in 2014 and I am going back for my 4th this year. Wheeee!
    Totally stay in the campsite on the Thursday night. There's lots happening, it's a great vibe and you can get to know your neighbors!

Thursday nights are THE BEST nights for meeting new people at Coachella. Trust me, you will not want to miss pre-chella campground festivities.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    this.

its always fun in the camping grounds the night before. there's lots to do and there is the roller derby to check out which has an adjoining dance floor with DJs spinning. we did a walk around the festival grounds on the thursday night which was pretty awesome to see all the stages fully lit up yet completely empty.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Dec: DJ Jazzy Jeff & Skillz, The Roots, Jack Johnson
    Jan: Field Day, Wolf + Lamb, Soul Clap, Medlar, Jacques Renault, Avicii
    Feb: St Jerome's Laneway Festival
    Apr: Coachella Arts & Music Festival
    Jul: Peanut Butter Wolf, Mako
    Sep: Kanye West, Listen Out Festival

Thursday night is probably the best time to make new friends and party with strangers at the polo fields.

come to da groundz and feel teh excitement in da air
    crab fries