Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tollett interview Feb 21st 11am streamed

old school

Default Tollett interview Feb 21st 11am streamed

Default Re: Tollett interview Feb 21st 11am streamed

Radical. Definately gonna check it out.

LA, Southern California fool-the west coast.

read this as toilet for a second

figured there was a sweet new band I needed to listen to called toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBlank View Post
    read this as toilet for a second

figured there was a sweet new band I needed to listen to called toilet.
    woah haha damn thats hella funny

Oh man. That is awesome. I would absolutely kill to interview Paul Tollett. I have loved reading his past interviews and I would love to pick his brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

So this actually happened at 9am.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    So this actually happened at 9am.
    I messed up the time as well, given the poorly written/linked Pollstar article.

The "Renman Live" site does upload the hour plus ustream videos, which hopefully happens in the next day or two.
    http://www.renmanmb.com/live/feb.-21...h-paul-tollett

It was unclear if they were taking viewer questions. Perhaps the only 2 valid questions I had for this interview show format for PT is regarding expectation/reality of the Blur/Roses booking and if they've changed their attitute for booking acts now that they have to sell 2 weekends.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 02-21-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

old school

Full 68 minutes are now archived and viewable. Perhaps it's too dry/scholarly/music industry 101 for some here, but it is fascinating to hear the guy talk. Relatively few specific acts are mentioned and usually only in passing.

AFAIK, this is PT's first festival related interview since the cruise talk 15 months ago and maybe his only video interview of any real length circulating. The whole thing is recommended, but here's some rough indexing.

6m - PT starts with GV history lesson.
    19m - PT goes to Glastonbury
    20m - PT has the perfect response for annual Coachella lineup bashing
    22m - early history of the festival
    32m - why they chose Indio, why Woodstock 99 riots might have ruined the first Coachella
    38m - how young bands can use social media to help them before/after their festival set
    40m - cellphone reception at the festival
    42m - how they pick/build baby bands in clubs and festival
    46m - building the Coachella lineup
    50m - Coachella talent budget and 3 day only passes
    55m - double weekends
    58m - Stagecoach(only did 11k the first year, now does 58k)
    1:01m - festival billing order and pros/cons of set time placement negotiation with managers/agents
    1:03m - things they've done to benefit the Coachella Valley residents

I forgot that GV booked Bowie/NIN back in 1995. 35m the Manager of Incubus(Interviewer) tells PT he acknowledges the band will never be at the festival. 44m mark the interviewer throws Panic at the Disco/Loverboy under the bus, that's the extent of them being critical.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 02-22-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Blood Orange
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

old school

51:25 PT confirms the long standing belief than Dre was the Sabbath replacement. If Lolla paid Over $3mil for a single SB performance you can figure Dre/Snoop it's more than logical they in the $5m+ range for the 2 dates.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Blood Orange
    47:47

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

it was widely reported that dre and radiohead each got 4M for the two weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I didn't watch the whole thing, but watched all the parts relevant to the "CoAHchella" lineup process. Interesting stuff...I love minutiae like this.

cowuhchella

I really enjoyed watching that! Thanks

thank you so much for sharing this!

I know I for one am totally stoked for Co-uh-chella this year. Co-uh-chella for life!

Decent interview overall though. I thought it was interesting that when they went to 3 day passes they were still planning to do single days too but it just sold out before they could. The impression one gets overall is that they have been pretty lucky with Coachella. They booked the venue in the beginning just cause they liked it... later it turns out to have all kinds of benefits that they didn't even think about at the time. They go to 3 day passes in order to combat hotel gouging shenanigans... turns out people like that and the festival starts selling out faster than ever. Take a risky move to go to 2 weekends... bands are largely on board with it as long as you are willing to work with them to get them local gigs during the week. Just like in all business, luck plays a factor for sure. I'm sure there's more to the decision making process, but the way PT tells it makes it seem like several key decisions came down to "let's go with our gut and hope it turns out okay".

Funniest part: PT not originally thinking a country festival could really do that well in CA. I KNOW he's been to the Inland Empire. Like, a lot. He puts on Coachella there every year! It's like the deep south transported to California, OF COURSE a country festival is going to do well there, it's trailer park central!

old school

Not a single mention of the cruise. They must have taken a big $ hit on that undertaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    They go to 3 day passes in order to combat hotel gouging shenanigans... turns out people like that and the festival starts selling out faster than ever. Take a risky move to go to 2 weekends...
    Hotel room are more expensive now compared to then. Difference is attendees going single days aren't fighting over rooms.

I think in 2010 and/or 2011 promoters said they had enough ticket requests to fill 3 weekends.

PT said 1/3 of attendees use the shuttles. I thought the number was capped at 15,000 sold(some never used). Have the car/tent camping numbers ever been revealed in any of the public meetings with Indio city leaders?

I think "EDM" reaches the masses has really helped the demand of the festival and other fests in general. Lots of casual young music listeners or kids who don't really listen to music have the "place to be" or "it" factor now.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

this is a really cool interview. some things were well known already, but definitely some interesting new tidbits of information.

most revealing to me was confirmation of the # of attendees per day in 2009 was only 45,000. (fuck you to everyone who claims it is not much more crowded now than it was then.)

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    this is a really cool interview. some things were well known already, but definitely some interesting new tidbits of information.

most revealing to me was confirmation of the # of attendees per day in 2009 was only 45,000. (fuck you to everyone who claims it is not much more crowded now than it was then.)
    Again, the argument was that from 2011 and beyond, it doesn't seem like a HUGE difference. Mainly because of the added terrace and the amount of people who are in the campgrounds at any given time. 2009 didn't have ins-and-outs, car camping or the added space where the terrace and yuma / dome have been. Of course there is a difference, but it's only noticeable throughout various time-frames of the festival. No one can make the argument that it was difficult to get a close spot for Nick Cave last year, or Booka Shade, or Disclosure. In contrast, there were shows that attracted big crowds over the past couple of years (Wu-Tang, Dre and Snoop, Radiohead), but I can't recall a time outside of 2010 where I found it to be unbearably crowded.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 02-24-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Have to agree, there may be more people there now but the way the venue is managed makes it feel almost the same. 2010 was a clusterfuck, obviously, no denying that, but they learned a lot from that year and it all runs much more smoothly now. If they can get this many people in the venue and still have it feel like the right number of people then more power to them, it just means more people get to enjoy Coachella.

The parking on the other hand still needs more work haha. I fucking HATE getting parked in lot... whichever lot it is that makes you have to walk through camping. 4? 10? I can't remember the number but it's a long ass walk, double up on the security checkpoints, then another 10 mile hike at the end of the day to get back to the car. Sucks. Still, I won't complain too much unless they ever start charging for it.

My only problem with parking in recent years (aside from the mile-long walk into the festival) happened last year. That lot they used was all dirt and it was such loose dirt that it felt like sane when you walked on it. When the windy hit, it blew the dust everywhere including my face and the car, despite the car being opened for only a few seconds.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

This interview raises the question - Could Donna be Monklish?

Donna Busch?! No way

Most interesting thing I read in to it was the discussion of set times...obviously a huge part of the negotiations...makes me think a lot of times those brutal conflicts are less PTs doing than managers of multiple acts refusing to see the logic in playing earlier slots...

After years of attending, if I could say one thing to any act it's that earlier set times work for you, not against you...by 2 any day there are enough people to fill the Gobi/Mojave and get a sizable crowd at the other stages...many of my most cringe worthy moments at Coachella are of those smaller to middle tier acts that get demolished going head to head with 3 or 4 bigger acts later in the evening...

where as Kate Miller-Heidke played to a near packed tent 11:30 am in '10...no way she pulls that kinda crowd later in the day
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Anyone have any info on the mini fest (3 or 4 bands) they put on in Palm Springs? He mentions it at around 1:03:30
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

thanks for posting. love stuff like this. I think the last time Paul was really interviewed about the festival was back in 2009 with Jason Bentley.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    Anyone have any info on the mini fest (3 or 4 bands) they put on in Palm Springs? He mentions it at around 1:03:30
    Its apparently called "Tachevah", with Passion Pit as the headliner announced 3 weeks beforehand. Other 3 acts were nobodies/local contest winner bands?

http://www.palmspringslife.com/Palm-...achella-Dates/

old school

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    thanks for posting. love stuff like this. I think the last time Paul was really interviewed about the festival was back in 2009 with Jason Bentley.
    One or both of the Coachella Cruises had a public Q&A panel with PT and Tovar.

Maybe a fan recorded audio, but the Cruise sub Forum had Fan reports. I only remember them expressing pessimism about another cruise(likely a name change) and Tovar seriously wanting Iron Maiden as a Coachella headliner.