Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 72

Thread: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

  1. #31

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    This a techno/house lover's fantasy ... if said lover lives in middle america (chicago excepted) and/or moved on from swedish house mafia et al a few short yrs ago

    to be fair, there is absolutely nothing wrong w that. sadly, the yuma will likely never amount to more than what it is now.

  2. #32
    Member bobchella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,741

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    the yuma will likely never amount to more than what it is now.
    Prepare to eat these words.

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut Up Forever Almost All of You.

    SEE YOU AT WEEKEND ONE!

  3. #33

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    on what basis? I'm sure the physical space will be expanded over time but you can't honestly expect gv to start featuring stuff at the leading edge of dance music. nothing augurs that sort of change in booking policy

  4. #34

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    This a techno/house lover's fantasy ... if said lover lives in middle america (chicago excepted) and/or moved on from swedish house mafia et al a few short yrs ago

    to be fair, there is absolutely nothing wrong w that. sadly, the yuma will likely never amount to more than what it is now.
    Confused?? Im from New York and have been in the "underground scene" for close to 15 years. Iv done DEMF, WEMF, and been partying in Toronto for years. I was just referring to the fact that upon deciding to go to Coacheela before the lineup was announced, I did not expect these kind of djs all. The years I went it always the big hitters, Tiesto, Kaskade, bennasi etc that I have no interest in. To be going to this festival and have the added bonus of hearing the of beats that I love the most is to me, a fantasy! haha. Im just happy these guys are here thats all, didnt mean for this thread to start gaining steam.

    What would be your house/techno fantasy ross?

  5. #35

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    right ... it's one thing to be glad that this sort of music gets a fair shout from gv. but to claim this as a fantasy lineup for house/techno lovers is another kettle of fish entirely

    in nyc, you can gorge yourself for hrs and hrs on end, every single weekend, on the sort of tech house that dominates the Yuma lineup. it's a fair assortment of mostly solid dj's ... but nothing that quickens the pulse

    this is more along the lines of what I would consider a fantasy lineup ... http://www.dimensionsfestival.com

  6. #36

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    these are less value statements than they are observations. not intending to impugn anyone's taste in dance music.

  7. #37

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    right ... it's one thing to be glad that this sort of music gets a fair shout from gv. but to claim this as a fantasy lineup for house/techno lovers is another kettle of fish entirely

    in nyc, you can gorge yourself for hrs and hrs on end, every single weekend, on the sort of tech house that dominates the Yuma lineup. it's a fair assortment of mostly solid dj's ... but nothing that quickens the pulse

    this is more along the lines of what I would consider a fantasy lineup ... http://www.dimensionsfestival.com
    Now that fine sir...looks legit. Familiar with a good chunk. I will look into the rest.

  8. #38

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    and yes...its going to be mostly chunky tech house. Just figured the majority of people here wouldn't understand

  9. #39

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    these are less value statements than they are observations. not intending to impugn anyone's taste in dance music.
    Closest thing iv got right now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGQAfGnLfWU

  10. #40
    Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
    Posts
    16,487

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Hey who is the smartest techno fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

  11. #41
    Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
    Posts
    16,487

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Sorry not trying 2 b sarcastic
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

  12. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    191

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    What do you think EDM means?
    EDM is a label that came to be as a result of the explosion of poppy north american electro house, trance and crappy progressive house. People intend it to mean the overarching umbrella of all electronic music that people dance to. However, those who are fans of underground techno, tech house, deep house use the term as a pejorative to describe gimmicky DJs and producers who follow the same tired formula resulting in generic banger style tunes made with Native instrument VSTs and vengeance sound packs. This is what you would call a hardwell or a nicky romero. Calling the yuma tent artists EDM is not only incorrect it is a complete insult.

  13. #43
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,744

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    What do you think rock and roll means?

  14. #44
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,828

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by jumpstart View Post
    I hate to say it, but eventually the sahara tent will be replaced with the Yuma(conceptually) and Coachella is obviously betting on it too. Once the EDM backlash hits, the underground scene will be milked to fucking death by the industry. sigh, typical of Amercian culture(you realize this genre has been huge in Europe for decades without selling out) IMHO its the next logical step/ Compare it to the end of the metal scene transitioning into the alternative stuff during the 90s.
    wtf are you talking about?

  15. #45

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Do some research crazzz2007. You should look at music trend in the past 50 years and I think you'd come to a similar conclusion.

    look out! the Bro apocalypse is coming.

  16. #46

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    on what basis? I'm sure the physical space will be expanded over time but you can't honestly expect gv to start featuring stuff at the leading edge of dance music. nothing augurs that sort of change in booking policy
    on what basis? are you blind? the yuma tent was created last year because they have a feel for where the scene is going. Big name DJs are incorporating tech house into their mixes now because they know big room house is slowing down.

  17. #47

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    And now we get Thugfucker, DJ Tennis, Bondish, and the guys from french express....ugh lol
    Last edited by Oldman1313; 02-22-2014 at 09:03 AM.

  18. #48
    Member Larry Farnsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The Nutmeg State.
    Posts
    620

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by kayeM View Post
    EDM is a label that came to be as a result of the explosion of poppy north american electro house, trance and crappy progressive house. People intend it to mean the overarching umbrella of all electronic music that people dance to. However, those who are fans of underground techno, tech house, deep house use the term as a pejorative to describe gimmicky DJs and producers who follow the same tired formula resulting in generic banger style tunes made with Native instrument VSTs and vengeance sound packs. This is what you would call a hardwell or a nicky romero. Calling the yuma tent artists EDM is not only incorrect it is a complete insult.
    You talk a lot of shit for someone who was pining for shitty acts like Skrillex and Rusko and Boyz Noise just a couple years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

  19. #49

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    You talk a lot of shit for someone who was pining for shitty acts like Skrillex and Rusko and Boyz Noise just a couple years ago.
    shit man, We've all had to start somewhere.

  20. #50
    Member Larry Farnsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The Nutmeg State.
    Posts
    620

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by jumpstart View Post
    shit man, We've all had to start somewhere.
    Right, but we don't all have to be self-righteous twats when talking about music when we had verifiably shitty taste in the recent past. There's no shame in liking Skrillex (well, some) and having that be your gateway to bigger and better things, but to then adopt this holier-than-thou "I know what real music is" attitude makes you a pretty massive asshole
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

  21. #51
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,048

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    on what basis? are you blind? the yuma tent was created last year because they have a feel for where the scene is going. Big name DJs are incorporating tech house into their mixes now because they know big room house is slowing down.
    Where the "Sahara" mainstream scene is going, sure. Where the "underground" dance music scene is and has been for the last 4-5 years, yes. But to argue that the Yuma lineup is representative of the freshest, most cutting edge sounds in the current dance music "scene" is off the mark and suggests that you're relatively new to the "scene" itself and haven't been paying enough attention/done enough digging, are content with the accessibility of this sound and confuse it for innovation on the dance floor.

    Which is why I find jumpstart's frequent cries of panic about some upcoming bro-take over of the underground scene so hilarious. He doesn't realize it's already happened. The "underground" scene you see with stages at HARD and EDM and the Yuma tent and BPM and clubs on constant rotation is definitively mainstream at this point.

    8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  22. #52

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Where the "Sahara" mainstream scene is going, sure. Where the "underground" dance music scene is and has been for the last 4-5 years, yes. But to argue that the Yuma lineup is representative of the freshest, most cutting edge sounds in the current dance music "scene" is off the mark and suggests that you're relatively new to the "scene" itself and haven't been paying enough attention/done enough digging, are content with the accessibility of this sound and confuse it for innovation on the dance floor.

    Which is why I find jumpstart's frequent cries of panic about some upcoming bro-take over of the underground scene so hilarious. He doesn't realize it's already happened. The "underground" scene you see with stages at HARD and EDM and the Yuma tent and BPM and clubs on constant rotation is definitively mainstream at this point.
    I disagree that it has already happened. Maybe in your view it has because you've been in tandem with the scene since its fucking birth(obviously longer than others). But it hasn't come close to getting commercialized yet here in the states. Europe...that's a different story. Those fuckers have been listening to this kind of music forever and its way more accepted. The fucking bro and raver douchers are still fist fucking to the shit EDM Kaskade and tiesto consistently pump out here.

    I think the underground current is drastically growing in the states, but it hasn't become the forefront commercially...or am I wrong? Seriously, please go on, because you seem to know way more about the scene and music in general then I do and that's fine. How fucking underground are we going to take this though? I think the DJs in the yuma is a fair representation of the "underground scene" because it hasn't had the level of commercial success yet compared to the current EDM scene in the states(and I'm not saying its been nothing, some of those DJs are doing very well financially).
    Last edited by jumpstart; 02-22-2014 at 01:33 PM.

  23. #53
    Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
    Posts
    16,487

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    jumpstart, you make a lot of great points. Have you considered going into promotions?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

  24. #54

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Or if you're an "edm lover" who also loves other genres of music. You know, there are people who attend the festival that like BOTH "edm" and other genres. Crazy, I know.
    Exactly.. perfect mix of indie and electro.. if coachella would sprinkle in some jam music I would be in heaven

  25. #55
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,048

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by jumpstart View Post
    I disagree that it has already happened. Maybe in your view it has because you've been in tandem with the scene since its fucking birth(obviously longer than others). But it hasn't come close to getting commercialized yet here in the states. Europe...that's a different story. Those fuckers have been listening to this kind of music forever and its way more accepted. The fucking bro and raver douchers are still fist fucking to the shit EDM Kaskade and tiesto consistently pump out here.

    I think the underground current is drastically growing in the states, but it hasn't become the forefront commercially...or am I wrong? Seriously, please go on, because you seem to know way more about the scene and music in general then I do and that's fine. How fucking underground are we going to take this though? I think the DJs in the yuma is a fair representation of the "underground scene" because it hasn't had the level of commercial success yet compared to the current EDM scene in the states(and I'm not saying its been nothing, some of those DJs are doing very well financially).
    This is a useless conversation. Your argument is that, because the likes of Damian Lazarus and crew aren't the HEADLINERS at massive EDM raves they aren't commercially successful? The Yuma artists ARE BOOKED AT MOST MAJOR DANCE MUSIC FESTIVALS IN THE STATES ALL THE TIME. And regularly play the nightclub circuit to sold out/completely packed crowds! Almost all of these artists are by and large some the most readily recognized, successful names to date for people who aren't 17 years old and who pay even the slightest attention to dance music. Which is fine. There's nothing wrong with GV wanting to book safe crowdpleasers, and there's nothing wrong with wanting the aesthetic of the Yuma tent to be that of a big room Ibiza party.

    What's ridiculously stupid is when people look at these bookings and celebrate them as if they're innovative or pushing any sort of boundary beyond the status quo in the non-"EDM" techno/house scene. The designation of the term "underground" seems to mean a lot of things to a lot of different people. I think it's a useless term when it's used to categorize DJs as "different" than American EDM and it does a disservice to the very vast variety of labels and sounds in the house/techno dance music scene that don't get more of the exposure that they should because people slap on the term underground to tech-house and call it a day. The Yuma bookings are representative of a very limited palate of DJs that are already very much exposed.

    And your "how underground are we going to take this question" is stupid as well. I know a number of local DJs in both LA and the SF area could easily hold their own in the Yuma and throw down impressive sets, that doesn't mean that's what I'd hope to see booked there. I've listed plenty of DJs that I'd be excited for in other Yuma threads as have others. And they aren't ridiculously obscure names that no one's ever heard of or that are unbelievably unavailable. There's DJs that local promoters in CA have brought out for shows but that have not yet been slotted at any major CA festivals. Fuck, Perc played in LA this last weekend, right? Perc in the Yuma would be fucking awesome. And were GV to book even just a handful of acts in that vein, it would be much easier and more accurate to herald the Yuma tent as impressive.

    8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  26. #56
    Coachella Junkie brando4n82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Moorpark, CA
    Posts
    6,118

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyMellow View Post
    It's an air conditioned tent with hardwood floors . It's closed off so you feel like your in a club .Spending your whole weekend there would be weird and wouldn't be worth it to me.
    It may have some A/C, but Goddamn does it get hot in there once you start moving!
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

    Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

  27. #57
    Member chbludevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    764

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Guedita, which coachella lineup(s) do you feel has had the most forward thinking dance artists on it? Because when I look at past lineups it appears to me that the electronic card has always skewed more towards well known mainstream dance acts. I'm not trying to be snarky I honestly am curious if there was a year or years where coachella produced such a foward thinking dance lineup in your opinion.

  28. #58
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,048

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Quote Originally Posted by chbludevil View Post
    Guedita, which coachella lineup(s) do you feel has had the most forward thinking dance artists on it? Because when I look at past lineups it appears to me that the electronic card has always skewed more towards well known mainstream dance acts. I'm not trying to be snarky I honestly am curious if there was a year or years where coachella produced such a foward thinking dance lineup in your opinion.
    The Pure Filth stage in 2011, and that's it. And I agree, Coachella has never been a festival to book forward thinking dance lineups by and large. The addition of the Yuma tent certainly could be a place where they start to move in a more forward thinking direction or at least in a more diverse direction -- particularly because I think it's safe to say that it's a tent that will remain full/will attract people to a certain level regardless of the names booked. And again, I don't think there's anything wrong with skewing mainstream/"underground mainstream" or with the format they have, I just think that the hyperbole attributed to these bookings as cutting edge is frankly ridiculous. People who think that tech-house is the new hit sound and that Coachella deserves a certain level of accolade for booking DJs playing it are just wildly misinformed about the scene they think the Yuma tent is celebrating.
    Last edited by guedita; 02-24-2014 at 11:54 AM.

    8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  29. #59

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    I think anyone familiar with the names in Yuma have known that the tech house sound has been around a while. Its just refreshing to see these names/sounds incorporated into arguably the biggest/most popular festival in the states.

  30. #60
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,048

    Default Re: This is a techno/house music lover's fantasy

    Yes, especially if you hadn't looked at Coachella's lineup last year when the Yuma was introduced. Seeing these names in comparison to the dance card on the bill 3-4 years ago is absolutely a change of pace.

    8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Similar Threads

  1. Detroit techno and Chicago house for Sahara 2013
    By Electrotek in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 12:08 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 01:43 PM
  3. just another Music Lover lookin for a Camping Spot...
    By *5paceMan_M!sh* in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 07:31 AM
  4. Together as Weed Fri 4/9 Dubstep|House|Techno|Drum n Bass
    By TheRizo in forum Other Music Festivals...
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 11:42 PM
  5. Classic House/Techno?
    By music junkie in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 12:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •