Thread: Austra is one of my top priorities to see.

Default Austra is one of my top priorities to see.

Who else is really excited to see Austra? Their album Olympia was one of the best of 2013, Im not quite sure how they are going to pull off their incredible sound live, but I cant wait to find out! No conflict will keep me from this set on Friday.

Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

Default Re: Austra is one of my top priorities to see.

Austra was quite good when I saw them last summer. Her live presence and voice was quite strong. Didn't think there was much of a drop off from the album at all.

I'm listening to Olympia now. I like it!

Same here. Some really good female vocalists on the poster.

I will definitely be seeing Austra during Weekend 2. I have seen them three times and they did not disappoint!

Caught them twice last year, they were great both times (also should've seen them opening for The xx but didn't get there in time). I'd also recommend these for newcomers:

Saw them open for Cold Cave maybe 18-24 months ago. She sounded great. They reminded me of Nine Inch Nails in a way and then after reading up on them, sure enough NIN is one of her biggest influences.

Definitely in my top 10 for Friday.

captncrzy & I saw Grimes open for her at a small club in Phoenix back in 2011. Her voice is great live. She endeared herself to us when she told some jackass at the front of the crowd to let her sing the songs on her own; asshole was so close to her and so loud that he was disrupting her performance. The second album has really grown on me and I'm looking forward to seeing her again.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I like the Coachella package they sent out this year. we now all have a snail.....cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    In 12 more years, that snail will be nice and ready for you to fuck it.

I hope they are performing as a 6 piece band at Coachella, as opposed to a 4 piece like when I saw them last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

Austra is also one of my top priorities for Coachella ’14. Some of the very best synthpop out there.

paulb – Austra’s even better live than recorded. You'll love their performance.

There may be a better female vocalist on the Coachella lineup than Katie Austra Stelmanis, but I don’t know who that would be (though there are plenty of other good female singers listed). She has (for me) the most beautiful, pure, strong female singing voice I have heard since Grace Slick in the long ago days (who was the best ever, I think).

Austra’s bass player (Dorian Wolf) is also exceptional.

Really enjoyed Katie & Co.’s debut album Feel It Break when it came out – though not, particularly, the cover versions of Orbison’s “Crying” and (especially) Joni Mitchell’s “Woodstock”. Last year's second album release Olympia is just as good. Play them both often.

Caught Austra live for the first time last fall in a fairly intimate setting (about 400 in the audience, everyone really into the music). One of the very best concerts of the year for me. Of the past several years, in fact, including Coachella shows.

They played as a quartet, without sometimes-band-members twin sisters Sari and Romy Lightman (who have their own band, Tasseomancy). Their voices could help with some harmonies, I’m sure, but Austra live was still great without them. Cool if they’re with the band at Coachella; no big deal if they’re not, I'd say.

Austra will most probably play early on Friday to a fairly small crowd, more’s the pity. Likely a pretty chill crowd, though, so that's cool.

Lurker

Really excited for this set and one of my must sees that weekend