View Poll Results: Fix it please

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beer Gardens: Can't drink a beer while watching a band

49 43.75%
  • Noise curfew: Count the # of people that are ready to go to sleep at 1am

41 36.61%
  • Band sets: 50 minutes? Are you shtting me? Why not 1.5-2 hours minimum?

22 19.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst thing about the current coachella format

Default Re: Worst thing about the current coachella format

Set times and curfew are why coachella was a one and done for me. I dont see this changing though, coachella caters to the newer people in the scene that try and catch 15 acts a day, and are dead tired by 1 am. If you want a more serious festival, there are plenty of options.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Newer people in the scene try to catch more sets in a day? I don't get the logic. Hell yeah I'm tired by 1am after 12 hours of bands and booze.

What's a "serious" music festival? Doesn't sound all that fun to me.

Ya, most people who have little festy experience think its like birdwatching, gotta cross them all off my list.

There are two types of festivals, one where you pay a promoter to rent a space, book a bunch of acts, and you just show up with a 30 pack and an air matress and have a good time.

The other type is a festival where you pay much less money to rent a space, and then everyone at the festival contributes through art, music, food, dance ect their own aspect to the festival. Instead of payaing to watch artists, everyone is an artist and you all party together.

If you have never been to the later type of event, you should try it. The largest of these types is obviously burning man, but there are hundreds of these events across the country.

Kinda like going to a potluck compared with going to red lobster. You experience more at the potluck.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Where's the option for "none of these things bother me"?

-Keeping the beer in the garden keeps it off of me in the crowd and makes it easier to manage the drunks. I can see this being inconvenient for some, but seriously, how long does it take to down a beer?
    -No one's forcing you to go to bed at curfew, just try to keep the noise down. I know it's hard to have a bro-down without blasting Skrillex, but how about being a respectful human being to those that might not share your musical tastes at 3am?
    -The shorter set times during the day makes it convenient to see a variety of bands. I go so that I can discover new music, not so that I can watch my favorite bands play their entire catalog; that's what local shows are for.
    Last edited by ibuprofane; 02-21-2014 at 01:08 PM.

What a marvelous thread.

The only thing I'd change about the format would be to reduce the number (or maybe quality) of other acts going on during the headliners. Friday night last year was pretty rough.

The only thing I'd like to see the festival "fix" is adding comedy to the lineup. But apparently only Bonaroo is the only festival allowed to book comedians…

Other than requiring shuttle-people to go through security twice, the festival is perfect.

06/30 Jack White - L'Olympia
    07/01 Slow Magic - Le Batofar
    07/29 Boris - The Mohawk
    08/31 Little Dragon - The Moody Theater
    10/03 Shonen Knife - Red 7
    09/12 GvsB IV w/Panda Bear, SOPHIE, DOSS, Ejecta - Granada Theater
    11/7,8,9 Fun Fun Fun - Auditorium Shores
    11/12 The Horrors - The Parish
    11/23 Caribou, Jessy Lanza - The Mohawk

07, 08, 09, 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

Quote Originally Posted by PagodasPinkPants View Post
    The only thing I'd like to see the festival "fix" is adding comedy to the lineup. But apparently only Bonaroo is the only festival allowed to book comedians…
    Outside Lands and Samsquantch also have comedians broseph.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    Ya, most people who have little festy experience think its like birdwatching, gotta cross them all off my list.

There are two types of festivals, one where you pay a promoter to rent a space, book a bunch of acts, and you just show up with a 30 pack and an air matress and have a good time.

The other type is a festival where you pay much less money to rent a space, and then everyone at the festival contributes through art, music, food, dance ect their own aspect to the festival. Instead of payaing to watch artists, everyone is an artist and you all party together.

If you have never been to the later type of event, you should try it. The largest of these types is obviously burning man, but there are hundreds of these events across the country.

Kinda like going to a potluck compared with going to red lobster. You experience more at the potluck.
    For those of you who voted in the Baily is the Dumbest poll, I offer you this.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

grannock is as bad or worse than baily, but seems to get a pass because he went to Movement a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I'm tempted to say "beer gardens," but I just wish there were more of them. I'll happily trade that minor inconvenience for the benefit of not having some braindead asshole sloshing warm Heineken all over me as he stumbles toward the stage. With respect to both noise curfew and set times, I'm okay with the way things are - 1:00 a.m. isn't terribly early, not like it's 10:00 p.m. like Lolla, and after a day of being in the sun since about 11:00 a.m. I doubt I'd last much past 1:00 a.m. anyway. I'd like to see some bands get longer set times, but I've also been to Bonnaroo where they'll book some tremendously marginal bands with a 75 minute set and I can't help but think it would be better if those lengths were trimmed a bit.

The worst thing about the current Coachella format is the Do Lab, if that counts. Otherwise, I see little reason to mess with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    I'm tempted to say "beer gardens," but I just wish there were more of them. I'll happily trade that minor inconvenience for the benefit of not having some braindead asshole sloshing warm Heineken all over me as he stumbles toward the stage. With respect to both noise curfew and set times, I'm okay with the way things are - 1:00 a.m. isn't terribly early, not like it's 10:00 p.m. like Lolla, and after a day of being in the sun since about 11:00 a.m. I doubt I'd last much past 1:00 a.m. anyway. I'd like to see some bands get longer set times, but I've also been to Bonnaroo where they'll book some tremendously marginal bands with a 75 minute set and I can't help but think it would be better if those lengths were trimmed a bit.

The worst thing about the current Coachella format is the Do Lab, if that counts. Otherwise, I see little reason to mess with it.
    Every single sentence in this post makes perfect sense. Take note, idiots. This is how it's done. I'm not being sarcastic, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I don't think anyone has ever spilled a beer on me at a festival (the majority of the fests I've been to do not have beer gardens). Anyway, I used to be on the other side of the fence but I guess I've been spoiled by other festivals since then. I love the freedom of being able to walk around with a drink, see bands while drinking, etc.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

I'm all for what Gribbz says about the freedom and stuff, but every other fest I've been where you can freely walk with beer, the ground is trashed and you can barely find a clean spot to sit.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Yeah, I hear you. The only fest I've been to that needs to work on trash pick-up though is Sasquatch. The other non-Coachella festivals I've attended have been fine in that regard.

EDIT* Anyone know if ACL has beer gardens?

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    grannock is as bad or worse than baily, but seems to get a pass because he went to Movement a few times.
    If you attend DEMF, you are automatically better than everyone else. Didn't you know?
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    This is actually really interesting - is there legal documentation form the city somewhere that states why the festival where rapes have occurred allow alcohol to be walked around with, outside of beer gardens?
    It is interesting. It also seems odd to me that similar events, a week apart, at the same venue, would have such different rules. Something that makes sense is not having RV camping at Coachella, as it's more popular and RVs take up significantly more space than the car camping spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldorrr View Post
    Outside Lands and Samsquantch also have comedians broseph.
    Even more reason to get some comedy in. Wouldn't it be nice to have an air conditioned tent that would have people/shows like Hannibal Buress, Comedy Bang Bang, Todd Berry, The Birthday Boys and Maria Bamford and some Lucent Dossier style performance art at night. Plus it could cut down on the amount of sound bleed in the tents at night. People would love it I tell ya!

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    If you attend DEMF, you are automatically better than everyone else. Didn't you know?
    I'm still the worst
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Creep, I'm looking forward to seeing you, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by PagodasPinkPants View Post
    Even more reason to get some comedy in. Wouldn't it be nice to have an air conditioned tent that would have people/shows like Hannibal Buress, Comedy Bang Bang, Todd Berry, The Birthday Boys and Maria Bamford and some Lucent Dossier style performance art at night. Plus it could cut down on the amount of sound bleed in the tents at night. People would love it I tell ya!
    I'm not sure if performance art would be totally sweet or totally hokey. I'm kinda leaning towards the latter but it might be interesting to check out if there's no musical sets going on that are worth anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    I'm not sure if performance art would be totally sweet or totally hokey. I'm kinda leaning towards the latter but it might be interesting to check out if there's no musical sets going on that are worth anything.
    I just know the Dew Lab at night is like a porch light for all of the moths/people on drugs. Why not put a roof on that mess and keep them all contained.