View Poll Results: Who had the Biggest Impact?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pixies

6 5.77%
  • Daft Punk

34 32.69%
  • Rage Against the Machine

9 8.65%
  • Prince

4 3.85%
  • Paul McCartney

4 3.85%
  • Jay-Z

4 3.85%
  • the Chemical Brothers

7 6.73%
  • Swedish House Mafia

2 1.92%
  • Dre & Snoop

24 23.08%
  • Arcade Fire

10 9.62%

Thread: act thats had the biggest impact on Coachella

Default act thats had the biggest impact on Coachella

Since 1999, Coachella has seen 1000’s of musicians come and go and despite this fact there are a few performances that have undoubtedly changed the course of history at Coachella. This poll is an attempt by me to narrow down the 10 artists I believe that have made said impact. I’m probably one of the last people from this forum that should be doing this, as my selection of acts is mostly academic (I’ve only been part of this for 5 years, some of you have been here from the beginning and have seen the changes of this festival first hand). That said, here are the 10 artists that I would argue that have made the greatest impact. Feel free to add any act that you feel I have snubbed, maybe we could revise this thread into something better.

Pixies: The reunion act of all reunion acts. Pixies were the first big name reunion act that chose Coachella as the location for their 10 year reunion. Considering their influence on musicians today, Pixies gave goldenvoice, or more importantly, Coachella the nod as being the place to start your reunion. If it weren’t for Pixies coming together, radiohead wouldn’t of played creep and Coachella probably would never have gained the reputation for being THE festival that can bring anyone back together.

Daft Punk: 2006 was when the legend of daft punk and the infamous pyramid began. Not much left to say

Rage Against the Machine: Reunion that had everyone lose their shit. If I have my facts right, 2007 was the first year Coachella sold out, which was directly caused by RAGE headlining.

Prince: Wasn’t there in 2008 but everyone keeps praising his set. I don’t really have an argument on how he’s had a lasting impacted Coachella but I can argue that he saved 2008 from bankrupting this festival.

Paul McCartney: 3.5 hour set at Coachella with a living-breathing beetle. Macca headlining was HUGE at the time. No festival in North America had been able to land him at the time. Friday sold out that year, and ever since then, Coachella has seen good fortune.

Chemical Brothers: 99, 01, 02, 05, 09, 11. They have played six coachellas and were the biggest EDM act billed for every Coachella they’ve played. They are EDM legends and one of the biggest reasons why EDM has been successful at Coachella.

Jay-Z: When Jay-Z headlined in 2010, he redefined what a Coachella headliner could be. The scope and demographic of what Coachella could attract changed the moment Jay-Z walked onto stage. His set was a huge success and one could argue that he put Coachella on the map for the average music fan. Since he played, Coachella has sold out 4 consecutive years, with each year highlighting the biggest names in hip hop. I’m not saying that his set was the best of all time, but it’s clear to most of us that he set the precedent for the “new rap headliner formula” and he has brought a new crowd to Coachella.

Swedish House Mafia: These guys had the biggest negative impact on Coachella. Ever since they came the sahara has been full of cheese house and SHM is the archetypical group that had brought this disease to Coachella. Brochella has gone to a whole new level and I blame it on ingrossoaxwellandwhoeverthefuckthelastguyis making some fucking noise.

Dre & Snoop: Considering the amount of guests that played with Dre and the fact that the tupac hologram debuted here is what makes this set legendary. Mainstream media couldn’t stop talking about the hologram. That sort of buzz cannot go unnoticed here.

Arcade Fire: Coachella’s indie rock Cinderella story. They’ve worked their way from the bottom of the poster and have now (or are going to) headline Coachella twice. Their impact on Coachella is indirect, as they are more of a representation of what Coachella is all about. Rather than changing the demographics of the festival, they have kept its integrity. It would have been awesome seeing them play the outdoor in 2005 to the ball drop in 2011.

Default Re: act thats had the biggest impact on Coachella

Looking at the poll I wouldnt say they had the biggest impact overall, but my mom who lives in a small town in illinois knew what coachella was after dre and snoop which is a pretty insane to me.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Macca did not play for 3.5 hours. He was scheduled to start at 10, was at least 10 minutes late, and was over by 1.

2007 was not the first sell-out. 2004 and 2006 did, although not nearly as fast.

Iggy and the Stooges were also a major reunion. And Siouxsie and the Banshees. And Jane's Addiction.
    Last edited by Boourns; 02-05-2014 at 02:16 PM.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

The first time Coachella actually sold out a day was in 2004, if I remember correctly.

The Sahara was full of cheese house well before SHM was there.

Also, are we overstating the Pixies, while downplaying Jane's Addiction literally saving the festival in 2001? Just a thought.
    I had the above in the first non-poll version of this you had.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Dre and Snoop clearly had the biggest impact on catapulting Coachella to the mainstream. Before 2012, I had to explain what Coachella was to most people. After 2012, when 2Pac was all over the media, it felt like overnight everybody knew, including people much older than me (grandparents, co-workers, bosses, that sort of thing). I wouldn't say they had the biggest impact on the festival in and of itself, but I think they were the act that clearly set Coachella above all other American music festivals in the public perception. In 2011, I would say that Lollapalooza, Coachella, Bonnaroo, and ACL were all at the same level...Coachella's shadow just seems so much bigger than the other three now, and I don't think the Dre/Snoop/2Pac thing is solely responsible, but the shock of the hologram sort of captured the momentum of the festival as a whole into one shareable media-friendly moment.

As for SHM, I would say Coachella's Sahara lineup was cheesey heavy starting at least in 2010 (Guetta, Kaskade, Benassi, deadmau5, Tiesto) so I don't think they were that influential.

Jane's Addiction needs to be up there seeing as how they literally saved the festival.

Swedish House brought it to a whole new level though. Yes it was around but the edc goers weren't clamoring for coachella before swedish house mafia played.

Good point about Janes, I should of put them on the list. BTW when was your first coachella travel fan?

What is Jane's Addiction.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    I had the above in the first non-poll version of this you had.
    yeah I saw that, my bad

I voted Dre/Snoop cuz dat hologram

7/30 Tori Amos, 8/1 Ray LaMontagne, 8/5 Justin Timberlake, 8/14 Nine Inch Nails + Soundgarden, 8/22 Aerosmith + Slash, 8/24 Nickel Creek, 8/28 Bear in Heaven, 8/31 Little Dragon, 9/11 Delta Spirit, 9/20 Conor Oberst, 9/26 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 9/28 The War on Drugs, 10/3 & 10/5 ACL W1, 10/13 Paul McCartney, 10/18 twenty one pilots, 10/19 Erasure, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/23 Caribou, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent

I honestly think if Prince wouldn't have been added to the lineup, Coachella would not be considered the massive festival is today.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Arcade Fire in 2011 was honestly the best show I have ever seen. And they weren't even near one of my favorite bands at the time. The show they put on and the energy they had, and those balls dropping on my face just put that icing all over me. Mm

You can't beat balls dropping on your face.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I am surprised Radiohead isn't on this list. Not much of a fan, myself, but their impact on the festival from 2004 to today is certainly significant.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Daft Punk: "Not much to say"
    Over half the people will say Daft Punk and that's your summary.

Very objective, im assuming you're the 1 person who voted for Jay Z

Pearl Jam

06/30 Jack White - L'Olympia
    07/01 Slow Magic - Le Batofar
    07/29 Boris - The Mohawk
    08/31 Little Dragon - The Moody Theater
    10/03 Shonen Knife - Red 7
    09/12 GvsB IV w/Panda Bear, SOPHIE, DOSS, Ejecta - Granada Theater
    11/7,8,9 Fun Fun Fun - Auditorium Shores
    11/12 The Horrors - The Parish
    11/23 Caribou, Jessy Lanza - The Mohawk

07, 08, 09, 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

^Correct answer
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    They check your age at a rave? That means its not a rave.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I can't tell you how many people asked me about that stupid Tupac hologram when I got back home. That alone earns my vote
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I'd like to say Daft Punk, but seeing Paul was really great, and I've gotten to see him a couple more times since then. And where have Daft Punk been? Not touring.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Daft Punk's insane craze started at Coachella, but I think their brand is what exploded, not Coachellas.... Coachella getting Rage Against The Machine in 2007, the insanely fast sellout, changing the brand to 3 days... I think that had the biggest impact on Coachella.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

The act that had the biggest impact on Coachella was the sex act Paul's parents engaged in many moons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    I am surprised Radiohead isn't on this list. Not much of a fan, myself, but their impact on the festival from 2004 to today is certainly significant.
    I'm not surprised at all after the 2012 show they put on. The best part of that set was I caught a hula hoop, and kept it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Daft Punk's insane craze started at Coachella, but I think their brand is what exploded, not Coachellas....
    This. Of course there's a symbiotic element to a show but coachella is where the legend of daft punk grew, not the other way around. For that I'm a little bit disappointed in the poll results but yet again anytime daft punk is an option, they will undoubtedly win.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    Over half the people will say Daft Punk and that's your summary.

Very objective, im assuming you're the 1 person who voted for Jay Z
    why make an argument for something that's already been defined?

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    You can't beat balls dropping on your face.
    you just said a mouthful, guurl
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    What is Jane's Addiction.
    They pretty much saved the festival more than any of the acts IMO. If it weren't for them Coachella would never have existed.

Rage. Done.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife