Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squamish Valley Music Festival August 8-10, 2014

Default Squamish Valley Music Festival August 8-10, 2014

First time the festival has made the jump to a 3 day fest. They are expecting to draw 35,000 + people/ day. I went last year and while I had fun, the crowd was awful, there was absolutely nothing to do when you didn't want to see a band play, and the talent was spread pretty thin over the 4 stages. They have moved the grounds to a larger field (Brennan Park) and will apparently also feature the use of Loggersports Stadium (yes, this is BC. We have a "stadium" dedicated to logging sports, although the word "stadium" may be a bit misleading in terms of its size).

Anyways, here is the line-up:

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Default Re: Squamish Valley Music Festival August 8-10, 2014

So are you gonna go? Since I can stay at my sister's place in Squamish I'm considering it.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

I'm not gonna be in the country for this fest, but if I was, I would honestly go just for Boys Noize and Danny Brown.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Not happy with the lineup at all. There's a few gems, but overall it blows.

Camping is $350 for 4 people and glamping (vip camping) is $1000. Are they fucking insane?

Lol these prices are insane. Also you load money to your wristband to pay for stuff. Not sure how I feel about having your money dangling on your wrist for some idiot to try and cut if off.
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

Rubbish, but it's good to see Lykke Li is back. Too bad only this fest and presumably Lollapalooza so far.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I don't really see how that makes much of a difference. At pretty much every music festival you have hundreds of dollars hanging off your wrist. I don't think they will accept payment from a cut wristband and it probably isn't very hard to get a new one should that happen.

It's an interesting idea and in reality it's probably a lot easier to steal a wallet than a wristband.

Why dont you ask the people who had to get wristbands replaced at Coachella and waste half their day?

old school

Secretly thrilled that I can skip this one. Mildy interested in seeing Eminem's first Western Canadian appearance in 14 years.

Is Eminem supposed to be the "old people" booking? Past years had Devo/Tragically Hip/Weezer/Qotsa.

Well the presale sold out in less than a day. No idea how many that was, but it's something.

It seems that their strategy of booking towards teenagers who have never been to a festival might actually be working, much to my dismay.

My sister, who lives in Squamish, says all the locals are pissed about the size and scope of the fest and it's impact on the community that weekend - noise, garbage, partying etc. Many are planning to camp away from town or leave town to get away from it.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    My sister, who lives in Squamish, says all the locals are pissed about the size and scope of the fest and it's impact on the community that weekend - noise, garbage, partying etc. Many are planning to camp away from town or leave town to get away from it.
    http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtist.aspx?ID=240312

There's a country festival that same weekend in Mission BC with Sheryl Crow, Rascal Flatts and Terri Clark.

Those people are fucking babies.

They seem to not be motivated by the extra money they could make, sucks for them.

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post
    Well the presale sold out in less than a day. No idea how many that was, but it's something.

It seems that their strategy of booking towards Canadians who have never been to a festival might actually be working, much to my dismay.

Fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Hey Betty, how about I take you out some time, we have a nice dinner, some drinks, make fun of some darkies, then I beat the shit out of you on the Sunset Strip and we fuck behind the Whisky. Sound like a plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    Taking a wizard shit in the ocean is so Jack Johnson.

I wish coachella booked bruno mars...

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    They seem to not be motivated by the extra money they could make, sucks for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Those people are fucking babies.
    I don't get it either. But I suspect many of those bitching are the ones without businesses who don't stand to prosper and are concerned about noise and mess. It's a very tree-huggy place.

Tier 1 is sold out so tickets are now $352 after fees (without camping!).

I have no clue how many that was, but I'd say this is going to be a pretty well attended festival if this is any indication. Most likely a bunch of festival virgins who are only there to see a couple bands.

old school

Single day tickets for $149 + fees onsale Feb 28th.

Daily breakdown of bands(might be useful to some OSL fans)

Friday, August 8
    Bruno Mars
    Foster the People
    Serena Ryder
    Lykke Li
    The Head and the Heart
    Walk off the Earth
    Boys Noize
    Mayer Hawthorne
    Felix Cartel
    The Zolas
    July Talk
    Anna Lunoe
    Head of the Herd
    Louise Burns
    The Courtneys
    City Real
    Aidan Knight

Sunday, August 10
    Arcade Fire
    Broken Bells
    The Roots
    Sam Roberts Band
    Tokyo Police Club
    Gramatik
    Kevin Drew
    Skream
    Hollerado
    Ryan Hemsworth
    Black Joe Lewis
    Austra Breach
    We are the City
    Rykka
    Slam Dunk
    The Oceanographers

Saturday, August 9
    EMINEM
    Arctic Monkeys
    Thievery Corporation
    Atmosphere
    Lord Huron
    John Digweed
    Pete Tong
    Danny Brown
    Jamie Jones
    Mounties
    Cyril Hahn
    Topless
    Good for Grapes
    Hannah Epperson
    Zerbin
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 02-20-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Single day tickets for $149 + fees onsale Feb 28th.

Daily breakdown of bands(might be useful to some OSL fans)

Holy shit, day tickets are $150? Thats fucking crazy. Nice Pete Tong and Digweed adds though.

Thanks for posting day breakdowns. I think you got your days off with Saturday and Sunday, but as an OSL fan I do appreciate it.

old school

Fixed the days - I had to reformat all the names from the LN email. Single day tix were $89+SC in 2013 and full passes were $149. LN really have to make their $12 million back and try to give Pemberton cold feet.

Friday, August 8
    Bruno Mars
    Foster the People
    Serena Ryder
    Lykke Li
    The Head and the Heart
    Walk off the Earth
    Boys Noize
    Mayer Hawthorne
    Felix Cartel
    The Zolas
    July Talk
    Anna Lunoe
    Head of the Herd
    Louise Burns
    The Courtneys
    City Real
    Aidan Knight

Saturday, August 9
    Arcade Fire
    Broken Bells
    The Roots
    Sam Roberts Band
    Tokyo Police Club
    Gramatik
    Kevin Drew
    Skream
    Hollerado
    Ryan Hemsworth
    Black Joe Lewis
    Austra Breach
    We are the City
    Rykka
    Slam Dunk
    The Oceanographers

Sunday, August 10
    EMINEM
    Arctic Monkeys
    Thievery Corporation
    Atmosphere
    Lord Huron
    John Digweed
    Pete Tong
    Danny Brown
    Jamie Jones
    Mounties
    Cyril Hahn
    Topless
    Good for Grapes
    Hannah Epperson
    Zerbin
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 02-20-2014 at 02:58 PM.

old school

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/08/s...s-go-cashless/

This weekend and early press is saying they are expecting 35,000 which is double that of Pemberton if true. Expect a slightly higher than usual police presence.

Article also talks about cashless wristbands.

Quite a good turnout; does that make it the biggest festival in BC history?

old school

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTA View Post
    Quite a good turnout; does that make it the biggest festival in BC history?
    Pemberton 2008 was about 42k range.

Some of the Merritt country festival were probably also higher. Some single day fests in the 90' were probably 30k range.

Well, still a good attendance all things considered. I've heard that there have been some issues with the wristbands, but overall seems to be running smoothly. I suppose we'll have to wait for Monday to actually get a clear idea of people's opinions of the whole thing, though.

My brain is pretty mush right now so bare with me if this is a bit rambling. That was hands down the worst festival experience I have ever had in 20ish camping music festivals.

The crowds were some of the worst people ever. There seemed to be a lot of single day people because crowd size seemed to vary quite a bit day to day. Arcade Fire felt like it had the smallest crowd of the 3 headliners, though it was tough to tell as I was way further up for Arcade Fire, where at Bruno Mars I walked by for 2 minutes (and hated it) and there was no way I was going to tolerate the amount of assholes that were there for Eminem, so I watched from way far back. The vibe seemed to change each day too in the festival, with Saturday being the best, Sunday the worst. The amount of people that were there for just one or two things was pretty crazy and they seemed like they didn't know what to do for the other 8 hours of the day when they one huge act wasn't on.

The layout was horrible. It was pretty similar to last year except the put the new main stage where the old camping was. I mapped it out on google beforehand and it was almost 1 kilometer in a straight line from the one stage to the other. Walking between the 2 stages was a disaster. The site was pretty big, but there were bottlenecks everywhere. They turned dusty pretty quick, which has never been an issue here before. All in all it took roughly 15-20 minutes to get between the two stages and a lung full of dust.

I did the crazy expensive VIP camping because my friend came from England to hang out with all the people she met at Squamish a couple years ago, which was planned before the lineup came out. I gotta admit, they did an amazing job on that. We were allowed to drive our cars in, unload our stuff and park them a 5 minute walk away. There were air conditioned flush toilets and shower trailers that almost never had a line. There was a huge VIP lounge right beside camp that had couches, tents to keep you cool in the heat, a DJ at night and a bar, however we always just brought our own beers in there and they didn't really seem to mind. They delivered free ice to us in the mornings. I heard regular camping was a total mess, but I haven't seen any pictures.

The cashless wristband thing seemed to work pretty well. I didn't use it since my friend loaded hers with cash so I just paid her if I wanted something. Contrary to what the website said there were stands that accepted cash, but not very many. Overall the food options were really good.

The sound at everything but the main stage was well done, and the main stage was decent.

They seemed to get the traffic sorted better by having people check in using a much larger lot than they had last year.

It was still a whole bunch of fun because it's still a music festival, but after having possibly my best music festival experience ever at Pemberton, the flaws of this years version of Squamish were really obvious.

I went last year and even with no Eminem/ Bruno Mars (instead Vampire Weekend and QOTSA headlined), in my opinion, it was the worst crowd I have ever had to deal with in my entire life, so I am not surprised whatsoever that this year was worse.

I was there last year too. While the crowds weren't the best, they were still way better than this year. It also didn't bother me as much because tickets were something like $110, not. $350 like this year. I easily spent twice as much this year and probably had half as much fun. Unless they resurect the 2 fallen Beatles next year for a one time only performance, I won't be going back to this festival any time soon.

I didn't have much of an issue with last years crowd, but it sucks to hear that it seemed to get so much worse this time around. I imagine I'll be sticking with Pemberton in 2015, provided that they actually put on a second year.

I think it's somewhat lineup dependent. There were at least an extra 5000 people there on Sunday, and I'm betting 90% of them were there for Eminem and pretty much only Eminem. I don't have much against Eminem, and he put on a great show, but man, some of his fans are the WORST people.

Regardless of the lineup, I'll be spending my August festival dollars elsewhere next year. A few friends just got back from Shambala and said it was an absolutely amazing time. Even though dance music all day doesn't sound like my cup of tea, I'll still take my chances on hanging around the campground with really nice people and seeing a couple sets a day over the experience I had at Squamish this go around.