Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 Years and you're still here!

Default Re: 10 Years and you're still here!

I went in 04, 05, 06, 08 and 09. I camped the first two years. I didn't go in 07 becuase I was jobless and in '10 we had a desitnation wedding in May so that blew the budget. Kids arrived in 11 and 13. So, basically, life happened. I had many friends go last year, and wished I could have gone.

I actually like festivals in general. I like music all day long. I like the scenery. I like the nice weather. I like totally disappearing from my normal life for a weekend. I understand it might not feel that way from someone from LA or in California, generally.

In 05 I did Coachella, Lolal and ACL and all three weekends were 100+ heat, so those really cummulatively exhausted me.

The biggest problem for Coachella for me (other than the flak I receive for leaving the wife with 2 little kids for 4+ days) is that I am too old to camp in that heat, which means I have to stay at a hotel or condo or house and use the shuttle. Which means I have to leave like 90 minutes before the first act I want to see. Which means I have to get up at a decent hour and can't relax. I am too old and lazy for it.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

I remember the board initially being very hostile to everyone and many instances of select board members ganging up on those that were weak and/or new. It’s great to see how all of that has changed.

This year will have to be my last. Had 3 of my toes removed last year due to diabetes and now they are telling me that 1 more if going to have to come off.

Good times.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    You really think all the hubbub that Daft Punk, Madonna, and Tool caused wasn't a noticeable jump?
    fair point, Tool was definitely responsible for drawing a lot of people out for the first time. as far as I recall there wasn't much hubbub about Daft Punk until after the fact, and I think Madonna was just more of a side-show for people already attending than an attraction in herself. I just didn't see as much of a shift that year as I did in 2007. I think RATM had a bigger impact than Tool did. it's also possible that there's a bit of a delayed effect, where hubub from the acts in 2006 had an effect on 2007.
    Last edited by shakermaker113; 01-30-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Most of my friends' first year at Coachella was 2010. Hearing them talk about Coachella is hard to handle.

I think I've been on the board since 2006, but my memory is obviously fucked. I used to be Jigglypuflvr. I mean, I still am a Jigglypuff lover. I love Jigglypuff. She's my favorite Pokemon.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Started my run at the festival in 05 but don't think I started lurking until 2007. I joined because something Randy said was fucking retarded and I had to tell him so. Don't recall what it was, don't think he paid attention.

All of you old hands are lovely people whom I really enjoy hanging out with/look forward to meeting. You new people suck. Bad. At everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Attended Coachella every year from the beginning through 09, then moved to the other side of the country. Returned in 2012, but it's gotten too hard to make the cross country trek for lineups that have, generally speaking, been cases of diminishing returns.

As for the board, I lurked for a few years, then joined in 07. As my 2,900 posts in seven years will attest, I'm going for neither quantity nor quality. I haven't met too many people from the board in person, but the people I have gotten to know a little bit are some of my favorite people in other corners of the Internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    This year will have to be my last. Had 3 of my toes removed last year due to diabetes and now they are telling me that 1 more if going to have to come off.

Good times.
    oh no, are you serious?! sorry to hear
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    You really think all the hubbub that Daft Punk, Madonna, and Tool caused wasn't a noticeable jump?
    not saying those acts weren't huge and wouldn't have boosted the notoriety themselves, it's that they didn't need to as it had happened for the most part the year before. And I think the Daft Punk thing in retrospect was a massive bellwether moment, but from the perspective before it happened it was mostly just sceney hype and curiosity since there hadn't been a big show in a while and didn't really feel like it had a ton of substance until everyone gushed over it afterwards.

i knew people who flew from different parts of the country JUST for daft punk. the rumor at the time was coachella would be the only show. i also knew a few people who went JUST for madonna. not saying my personal experience equates to the festival trends as a whole, just saying i remember those being two big draws for people that didn't know the other bands.

I flew to Tennessee to get away from Daft Punk.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Oh gee, look, Bev went out of her way to insult Cara for no reason. Shocking.
    Well, golly, I appreciate the shout-out, but really, it was nothing... Like two ships passing in the night, or a simple parade wave acknowledging our new Queen of the Board. Can I get you some smelling salts?

that doesn't make one bit of sense.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Do I need to dumb it down for you, Tom?

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i knew people who flew from different parts of the country JUST for daft punk. the rumor at the time was coachella would be the only show. i also knew a few people who went JUST for madonna. not saying my personal experience equates to the festival trends as a whole, just saying i remember those being two big draws for people that didn't know the other bands.
    I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    Do I need to dumb it down for you, Tom?
    I don't think that's possible.

Daft Punk was a big deal for a small group of people leading up to their performance. They were NOT that huge to the Coachella masses at that point. Human After All was a disappointment after Discovery. Nobody had any idea what the Pyramid/spaceship setup was going to be like. Their whole performance was a big unknown. What made it so amazing to the people there is that it was so unexpected. That's the reason the Coachella board has such a big boner for them to this day still -- they are living off that memory 8 years ago. It was not until they toured the shit out of that setup for the next 18 months that it became such a sensation. Generally, people were more psyched about Massive Attack at the time. Hell, Daft Punk was billed after Depeche Mode... and not on the main stage. Can you imagine that happening in 2014?
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    allowing this derailment to go even further, I feel like there's three points at which the festival took noticeable jumps to another level each time - 2004, 2007, 2010. 2010 was when it crossed the line for me, personally.
    I believe the majority of the people who think the festival "changed" in 2010 are the ones who didn't attend in the early years. I mean, of course the festival grew and evolved. They put out an outstanding product annually, despite whether or not a specific lineup caters to your taste. So, with it being only 2 hours from LA / SD and 3 hours from Phoenix, the growth of Coachella was inevitable.

The festival has changed, but I really don't think it has altered as drastically as many people make it out. The crowd has changed, but that has more to do with cultural changes than anything else. In the Sahara / Insomniac tent, you get bros dressed in tanks and neon glasses with half-naked hipster girls. In the early years, it was just-as-annoying candy kids and the girls were still half naked. There have always been hipsters. There have always been people who want to go just to experience it.

There hasn't been a magically transformation of Coachella that has dampened the quality. Perhaps some of you have gotten older and have become more irritated with younger crowds. You probably didn't notice this years ago because you were the younger crowd then. Or maybe the sheer size of the crowd now is off-putting.

As far as 2010 is concerned, no one should use that year as a measuring stick for what Coachella represents. 2010 was an aberration. Never has there been nor will there ever be a clusterfuck like that year. Every year since has been drastically better.

I do think that if you point to any year as a true turning point, it's 2012. That year the electronic card developed Coachella into a complete mainstream tard fest and booking a headliner the year after they subheadlined was lazy. They also took a stage away and that stage happened to help relieve crowd congestion.

They fixed that in 2013 and it improved the overall experience.

I think everyone has a year where everything "changed" but, in reality, I think it's more likely that we change. Whether it be Coachella fatigue, the lineup, the crowd, the hassle; at one point or another the festival didn't hold the same magic it used to. I get that totally. I just get unjustifiably frustrated when people refer to a specific year and call it the end of an era. Maybe for them it's the end, but I believe that has much more to do with the individual attendee than the festival itself.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

of course, it grows a little bit each year. you can't really draw a line in the sand and say "this is when it changed". my personal experience of it year to year shifted more noticeably on those years, but needless to say it's just my personal perspective.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I think everyone has a year where everything "changed" but, in reality, I think it's more likely that we change. Whether it be Coachella fatigue, the lineup, the crowd, the hassle; at one point or another the festival didn't hold the same magic it used to. I get that totally. I just get unjustifiably frustrated when people refer to a specific year and call it the end of an era. Maybe for them it's the end, but I believe that has much more to do with the individual attendee than the festival itself.
    To an extent this is true but it can't be denied that it's grown beyond the point where someone can really have a 1999 or even 2003 experience IMO. The whole two identical weekend thing has a weird air to it. I would imagine there's less of that unique moment feel, and you're simply at a very crowded show.
    I give credit to the festival for keeping it interesting (and attempting to integrate interesting art). But the counterculture or edgy feel is seems largely washed at this point. That's not what many if not most are looking for so that's great. That's not necessarily what the festival wants to be so that's great. It's just different now.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 01-31-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I'm probably in the minority, but for me, each year I've attended has gotten better. My first year was 2007 and my friends and I had no clue what we were doing. We camped at Joshua Tree for 5 nights. We missed the first day because we weren't organized. I went again in '10 with one other friend. We were unorganized but we camped on the festival grounds and knew the music better. We shared a small 2 man tent and didn't have a cooler or canopy. In '11 it turned into four of us, but we joined InColumbiaGorge's camp group and met many great people. We had a camping van and were much more prepared. I studied the lineup more and knew my way around the festival with ease. In '12 everything improved again.
    The older I get, the more annoyed I get anywhere near the Sahara. The best example was I that I had some el wire on my backpack and a girl asked me to give her a light show while Pretty Lights was playing. I told her no over and over before finally giving her the wire as I walk away, hopping over cuddle puddles of cr**** bait.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I think everyone has a year where everything "changed" but, in reality, I think it's more likely that we change
    I think I am in a good position to judge this because my first Coachella, in 2004, I was already old; now I'm just older. They were kids in 2004 and they are kids now. In 2004 it was Von Dutch and "Vote for Pedro"; now it's spirit hoods and neon glasses. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Coachella definitely feels more mainstream to me today than it did in 2004. It felt (to me at least) pretty edgy and cool to have Radiohead and Pixies and Flaming Lips and hell even Beck showed up and played the Gobi tent one afternoon. But in 2005 they had Coldplay headline, so there went the hipster purity.

Coachella today is a of a lot more crowded. 2004 attendance was what.. 50,000? something like that? and now it's something like 90,000? Yes. thats' a totally different feel.

I agree about 2010 being an anomaly. That year was just plain fucked up.

I went in 2001, then pretty consistently from 2005-2012, but I think 2004-2008 were probably the best years. Partly it's me getting older, partly it's the crowds getting larger, and partly I think it's the competition; Coachella has to really fight for the best acts these days.

I miss being able to lay in the grass at 3:00PM by the main stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    Daft Punk was a big deal for a small group of people leading up to their performance. They were NOT that huge to the Coachella masses at that point. Human After All was a disappointment after Discovery. Nobody had any idea what the Pyramid/spaceship setup was going to be like. Their whole performance was a big unknown. What made it so amazing to the people there is that it was so unexpected. That's the reason the Coachella board has such a big boner for them to this day still -- they are living off that memory 8 years ago. It was not until they toured the shit out of that setup for the next 18 months that it became such a sensation. Generally, people were more psyched about Massive Attack at the time. Hell, Daft Punk was billed after Depeche Mode... and not on the main stage. Can you imagine that happening in 2014?
    that's a good point, but that tent for daft punk was insanely crowded. even moreso than when i saw kraftwerk in 2004. i had to dance outside the tent and couldn't get near the inside for daft punk. back then a lot of electronic events were in the tent, "kraftwerk tent". i saw prodigy and chemical bros. in that tent too. i agree that wouldn't happen today though and EDM has grown since then. and i haven't really paid attention to daft punk since then, it was more a nostalgia set for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    AGREED

I agree that it is more mainstream. When Jimmy Kimmell is posting an edited video mocking Coachella goers and shows like American Dad reference it, it certainly has made it's mark on pop culture. I just don't buy into certain (and in my opinion, fabricated) notions that Goldenvoice is providing a much different product than it used to. I just believe a lot of groupthink occurs with some attendees. One of their friends talks about how shitty the lineup is and 10 of their friends follow, despite having numerous acts on the lineup they were just crying for. Not everyone is guilty of this, but I honestly believe it happens annually.

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    You can still do this, though. I did it numerous times last year. I laid down during Violent Femmes and The Lumineers just to name a couple of incidents.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 01-31-2014 at 12:43 PM.

And, outside of 2010, the festival does not seem much more crowded. That's not to say that there aren't more people, but having ins and outs, car camping as well the addition of the terrace has thinned the crowd out on the festival grounds dramatically. I do notice that it is a little more crowded, but I also recall how fucking packed the main stage was for Priodigy and Bjork back in '02.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 01-31-2014 at 12:50 PM.

That's really all Coachella is, in the end. A really crowded show.
    LOL! <33
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

It's a shit ton more crowded nowadays. The main stage during a headliner is not a good sample, of course that always felt crowded.

Phew. I thought that I was just getting shorter.
    LOL! <33

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    It's a shit ton more crowded nowadays. The main stage during a headliner is not a good sample, of course that always felt crowded.
    How about during Violent Femmes set last year where I was able to walk up to the front of the main stage? Or how about Nick Cave? Blur and The Stone Roses were not even remotely crowded.

It's not a "shit ton more crowded". It's noticeably more crowded, I agree, but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be. The attendance is way higher, but a shitload of people hang out in the campgrounds at any given time during the day and the grounds are a bit larger than they used to be. In 2011, I didn't watch a set that was uncomfortably packed. Not one. In 2012, the only packed sets I witnessed were Justice - ATDI - Dre and Snoop. Last year, I can't recall a single set where I said to myself, "Holy Shit this crowd is huge" with the exception being Wu-Tang.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 01-31-2014 at 01:21 PM.