Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 Years and you're still here!

Default Re: 10 Years and you're still here!

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    I remember visiting the message board for the first time in 2003 after that year's festival. I think it was an ezboard or something like that because I was posting under the same username that I used on a Natalie Portman message board. Which later came back to bite me in the ass when one of my roommates at the time, who had gone to the 2003 Coachella with me, recognized some of my posts as belonging to me and followed the trail back to the NP board and all the incendiary things I wrote about there.
    Yep! It was EZ Board back then, and I totally remember your post where you confessed how you got busted. Weird. I don't remember what my screen name back then was, but my first was 2002, so it had to be after that, and remember the jump to this board somewhere late 2006?
    I didn't formally meet anyone from the board... ever really. I've seen lots of y'all from afar, avoided some of you purposely, and met lots of friends who happen to be on the board but never post. Somehow I missed the party too, and somehow I missed getting totally burnt over some stupid posts/questions- glad I joined when we were all still nice to each other. 10+ years of near invisibility and going.. strong?

I joined in 2004, as well. Posted fairly infrequently, but lurked quite a bit. Didn't really start posting more until '05, or '06. Definitely met some amazing people and lifelong friends here!

I got on in early 2004 in anticipation of my first Coachella, concluded that everyone was an asshole and stayed away until after 04 fest. Got back on leading up to 05 and really got hooked in the summer of 05.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

It wasn't until 06 or so that I actually met folks in person I don't think. I think I saw John and/or Tom and 05 but probably didn't say anything. Then I actually met and hung out with Valerie (Full On Idle) and Ryan (Pot) outside of the festival when I was in SF for work in 08. I got very, very drunk that night.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

oh the EZboard salad days.

I recall finding a free backyard camping situation on the board somewhere around '03-'05. I'm pretty sure I met shakermaker at Vegoose '06 as well as RagePatton, cr... and maybe others?

Random run-ins and sightings of a few others over the years. But I try to stay somewhat low profile.

Oh and hey I met Jackstraw that night in SF too!
    ---
    The Dive Poets

I vaguely remember meeting some folks as I was likely drunk too. Was this when Ronnie was there too?

no, I don't think so. I don't remember him being there. You were only there for a short bit. I am not even going to pretend to remember the name of the bar or where in town it was, but I think we were in walking distance of Ryan's apartment.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

has jackstraw ever actually gone to Coachella?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    no, I don't think so. I don't remember him being there. You were only there for a short bit. I am not even going to pretend to remember the name of the bar or where in town it was, but I think we were in walking distance of Ryan's apartment.
    He lives behind an outdoor bar called Zeitgeist. That was probably it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    has jackstraw ever actually gone to Coachella?
    04,05,06. The last was unfuckingbearable and living in SF makes it almost pointless to go anyway.

04 is when I took this pic (or was it 05?)
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 01-30-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

THE GOLDEN YEARS
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    What year brought on LGM, me, and BD? Damn, I ride with shitty company.
    'Scuse me, Gunz, but based upon our join dates, I'd say that you were driving that year... with dickhead riding shotgun. I was but a naive, misguided hitchhiker.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Why don't we celebrate the anniversary of when the board was remade in my image?
    Better yet, I'd rather ring my hands around the neck of whomever thought filling that mold of you with shit was a good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    You say that like it's an uncommon occurrence. You look like the kind of plumber who has a shit bucket in his broken down truck.
    Better to be the plumber than the shit-filled asscrack around here...

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post

04,05,06. The last was unfuckingbearable and living in SF makes it almost pointless to go anyway.

Well I think your comments on this Message Board are unfuckingbearable. So boring!

My problem with jackstraw is that his shoes are unfuckingwearable.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

I got on in 2004 asking about taking my preschool aged children. Everyone knows how that goes. After that I came back seasonally but finally stayed on in 2006. I met mountmccabe and downingthief at a Rob Dickinson show I believe way back in 06.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    My problem with jackstraw is that his shoes are unfuckingwearable.
    Those were Yablonowitz' shoes.

Actually now that I remember more fully, it was taken during Subtle's set in 05.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 01-30-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Damn you haven't gone in that long? Why was 2006 unbearable?
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Those were Yablonowitz' shoes.

Actually now that I remember more fully, it was taken during Subtle's set in 05.
    And, mighty fine footwear indeed! ... Cara just hasn't figured out that taking shoes off before putting one's foot in their mouth makes wearing them easier...

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Damn you haven't gone in that long? Why was 2006 unbearable?
    First off I was over camping after 05. Enough of the high school kids high and screaming their heads off all night. The hotel experience on top of being too expensive was annoying with the clusterfuck of shuttles and cabs and took forever.
    06 was just a shitshow everywhere I went and it felt like everyone was just there for the event itself and was too wasted to enjoy any music.
    And after Daft Punk put the final nail in the new paradigm of everyone crushing in on each other with only an arm free to fist pump at an EDM show that was it for me. I can see exactly the bands and acts I want while based at home, at a fraction of the cost. There hasn't been an act so compelling as to convince me to go since they play up here about a month or two later, Fall at the latest.

First off I was over camping after 05. Enough of the high school kids high and screaming their heads off all night. The hotel experience on top of being too expensive was annoying with the clusterfuck of shuttles and cabs and took forever.
    06 was just a shitshow everywhere I went and it felt like everyone was just there for the event itself and was too wasted to enjoy any music.
    And after Daft Punk put the final nail in the new paradigm of everyone crushing in on each other with only an arm free to fist pump at an EDM show that was it for me. I can see exactly the bands and acts I want while based at home, at a fraction of the cost. There hasn't been an act so compelling as to convince me to go since they play up here about a month or two later, Fall at the latest.
    Gotcha. All makes sense. The clusterfuck with shuttles and cabs is a thing of the past, though. But I do find one of your statements telling.

"06 was just a shitshow everywhere I went and it felt like everyone was just there for the event itself and was too wasted to enjoy any music."
    This is something people like to believe is a newer occurrence. Some believe people that went to Coachella pre-2010 did so strictly for the music and not just for the event itself or to get fucked up. I remember going in 2003 and having that exact same feeling you did. I had a fucking blast, but I was over it as the college frat crowd had just started trickling in to the festival that year. Also, my car was broken into in the parking lot. The music and art that year was superb, the crowd and security were not... neither were RHCP. I ended up taking every year off until 2010.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 01-30-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Oh gee, look, Bev went out of her way to insult Cara for no reason. Shocking.

Not to mention the sentence makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    Cara just hasn't figured out that taking shoes off before putting one's foot in their mouth makes wearing them easier...
    What???

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Gotcha. All makes sense. The clusterfuck with shuttles and cabs is a thing of the past, though. But I do find one of your statements telling.

This is something people like to believe is a newer occurrence. Some believe people that went to Coachella pre-2010 did so strictly for the music and not just for the event itself or to get fucked up. I remember going in 2003 and having that exact same feeling you did. I had a fucking blast, but I was over it as the college frat crowd had just started trickling in to the festival that year. Also, my car was broken into in the parking lot. The music and art that year was superb, the crowd and security were not... neither were RHCP. I ended up taking every year off until 2010.
    I hear what you're saying and I'm not suggesting that I'm the first person to notice the phenomenon, but it feels like 2004 is probably when the festival tipped over into the big-time and became the premier festival (due in no small part to Radiohead and Pixies that year). I'm not even saying that's alone made it distasteful to me, it's just that the necessarily larger crowds that go along with that are something that just amplified the wastoid atmosphere. I might have felt the same thing in 2003, but I'd gotten over it by 2006 even if it has been steady since then. And as I said I might still be going if I lived in a place that offered no alternative to seeing these acts.

Also the style of EDM that was popular started to shift at that point, it's not just the Daft Punk thing, but I wasn't as into all the Justice type shit and the whole hipster feel of the dance music scene (I'm referring to the music itself, not the crowds). It's diverged lately and theres some better and some way worse things going on at coachella, but not enough yet to drag me back.

Jack, when you went, was it largely for the electronic acts, or were you able to catch most of the acts you wanted to see in San Francisco regardless of genre? Because I can definitely understand the electronic aspects of the lineup being easily caught in San Francisco, but there have been a decent amount one-off or non-touring acts over the year that didn't really play other places. Also, there's the added expense of catching all those acts separately vs. together at a festival.

I think all of us can, to a certain degree, sympathize with crowd issues. I have no real plans to attend the festival again, and a decent part of my reasoning is fact that I have no interest in spending three days with the crowd that attends now.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Jack, when you went, was it largely for the electronic acts, or were you able to catch most of the acts you wanted to see in San Francisco regardless of genre? Because I can definitely understand the electronic aspects of the lineup being easily caught in San Francisco, but there have been a decent amount one-off or non-touring acts over the year that didn't really play other places. Also, there's the added expense of catching all those acts separately vs. together at a festival.

I think all of us can, to a certain degree, sympathize with crowd issues. I have no real plans to attend the festival again, and a decent part of my reasoning is fact that I have no interest in spending three days with the crowd that attends now.
    EDM and the indie hip hop (which has also fallen way off but that's not necessarily Coachella's fault) was my primary draw, but yes I could catch pretty much anything here, and a Gobi or even Mohavi type act could be seen in venues half the size of those tents (not to mention at a much more pleasant temparature). I disagree on the aggregate cost being an issue tho seeing as I'd have to see more than something like two major acts and a half-dozen $20 shows to get close to outstripping the cost of a trip to coachella, even before considering the value of the time getting down there. Pretty much all the reunion acts will play somewhere in the bay area. I can't think of an act that I have any interest in that didn't (I might if I studied the lineups but none come to mind)

I'm not saying I'd never go again, but it'd have to be stars aligning on the lineup (or a woman demanding it) for that to happen.

I DEMAND
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I hear what you're saying and I'm not suggesting that I'm the first person to notice the phenomenon, but it feels like 2004 is probably when the festival tipped over into the big-time and became the premier festival (due in no small part to Radiohead and Pixies that year).
    allowing this derailment to go even further, I feel like there's three points at which the festival took noticeable jumps to another level each time - 2004, 2007, 2010. 2010 was when it crossed the line for me, personally.

You really think all the hubbub that Daft Punk, Madonna, and Tool caused wasn't a noticeable jump?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .