Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: FRIDAY- 2014 Set Times Prediction Thread

Default Re: FRIDAY- 2014 Set Times Prediction Thread

i'm not sure how common this is for bands who play multiple coachellas, but i think girl talk is less popular now then he was his first time. therefore should downgrade stages.

Agreed that he's less popular now. Yet he's billed higher now. Go figure.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

I feel like Jon Spencer and Afghan Whigs conflict seems a little wrong. I feel like most people seeing either of those bands want to see the other as well. It makes no sense for them to conflict, idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarator View Post
    I feel like Jon Spencer and Afghan Whigs conflict seems a little wrong. I feel like most people seeing either of those bands want to see the other as well. It makes no sense for them to conflict, idk.
    That would seem to make sense but coachella conflicts some alike acts usually. I remember thinking the DJ Shadow vs modeselektor conflict in 2012 made no sense. Last year the disclosure vs prydz one too. Also mgmt vs muse in 2010. I'm sure there's plenty other examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Re: Chromeo

Remember when everyone said there's no way Passion Pit would play the main at 6 because it was too early? Just sayin.
    I was a big proponent of Passion Pit on the main early last year because they were billed for it. They were like #11 or 12 last year on their day and so fit the billing for that fifth slot. It's virtually unheard of to have more than four acts from the top two lines on the main, and we have five. But I'm actually not totally against it now that we have HAIM off, if that's the general consensus. But part of the Passion Pit argument was that they were a huge act and hit that raver/bro/hipster trifecta...they had a sold out show at MSG that year, which was crazy for a band only billed halfway on the third line. I walked by Passion Pit on the way to the entrance to grab a beer at camp, and that crowd was gigantic. I would say bigger even than YYY's that night. Chromeo's drawing power seems so much smaller. They seem infinitely less popular than they were in 2011, when they admittedly had a gigantic crowd for the outdoor. Like I'm tempted to think they could even play the Mojave at this point...M83 and Franz Ferdinand seemed like bigger acts their years than Chromeo does now. But billing suggests otherwise.

All that to say I'm fine with Chromeo anywhere, really, but I don't think they NEED to play the main like Passion Pit did last year. Main, outdoor, Mojave, your pick Boourns.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I was a big proponent of Passion Pit on the main early last year because they were billed for it. They were like #11 or 12 last year on their day and so fit the billing for that fifth slot. It's virtually unheard of to have more than four acts from the top two lines on the main, and we have five. But I'm actually not totally against it now that we have HAIM off, if that's the general consensus. But part of the Passion Pit argument was that they were a huge act and hit that raver/bro/hipster trifecta...they had a sold out show at MSG that year, which was crazy for a band only billed halfway on the third line. I walked by Passion Pit on the way to the entrance to grab a beer at camp, and that crowd was gigantic. I would say bigger even than YYY's that night. Chromeo's drawing power seems so much smaller. They seem infinitely less popular than they were in 2011, when they admittedly had a gigantic crowd for the outdoor. Like I'm tempted to think they could even play the Mojave at this point...M83 and Franz Ferdinand seemed like bigger acts their years than Chromeo does now. But billing suggests otherwise.

All that to say I'm fine with Chromeo anywhere, really, but I don't think they NEED to play the main like Passion Pit did last year. Main, outdoor, Mojave, your pick Boourns.
    Agreed they don't NEED to play the Main, but I think it's highly likely they do. That collaboration they did with Toro Y Moi got a decent amount of attention, and a 2013 Hot Chipesque Main Stage slot seems pretty solid
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Chromeo's drawing power seems so much smaller. They seem infinitely less popular than they were in 2011, when they admittedly had a gigantic crowd for the outdoor. Like I'm tempted to think they could even play the Mojave at this point...M83 and Franz Ferdinand seemed like bigger acts their years than Chromeo does now. But billing suggests otherwise.

Agree with this. Your whole post was well put.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Based on Boourns clashfinder here are some thoughts:

The Knife into Outkast is so crazy - but based on the poster, I get it. The only other option is if they close the Main Stage or, worse, go up against Outkast in some capacity.
    Empire of the Sun is not playing the Sahara, unless I missed something and someone has proof. Based on this clashfinder EOTS is the only "live" act playing the Sahara - if Coachella is going back to having live acts play the Sahara then all bets are off about The Knife… I'd put EOTS where Sleigh Bells is or have them close the Outdoor against Muse and move Nas somewhere else. Sleigh Bells I don't think will go on that late - I could see them getting an early MainStage or outdoor timeslot.

Clasixxx v. Disclosure - noooooooo!!!!

I think Lana Del Rey will play a tent against Arcade Fire - I think outdoor stage is too big for her (personally - meaning she would rather play a tent).

I don't think NMH gets (or needs) a silent outdoors if they play main. The way they've moved the two stages there is minimal sound bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabeontop View Post

I think Lana Del Rey will play a tent against Arcade Fire - I think outdoor stage is too big for her (personally - meaning she would rather play a tent).
    There's no way she plays a tent. Would bet just about anything that she plays the Outdoor.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!

Me thinks, given both are playing evening shows at Pappy & Harriets the night before that GV clearly helped booked, that The Afghan Whigs and especially Goat will be playing later in the day than we presently have on schedule...

I'd look for the Whigs following Ferry on The Outdoor or in one of the tents overlapping with the Replacements...and Goat closing a tent head to head against Outkast and Jon Spencer or The Cult.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

whigs against the replacements would be a terrible conflict. i can definitely see goat closing against outkast though.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I think Goat closes the Mojave
    The Cult should be on the main imo. before the replacements?
    The Whigs should move up a bit on the main. I don't know that chromeo or broken bells really belong there anyway. chromeo should take the spot Goat is in now then switch with aloe blacc.
    Haim should take the Whigs spot. should go HAIM>Whigs>Cult>Replacements.... on main
    Broken Bells in Haims spot

I pulled that all out of my ass

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarator View Post
    I think Goat closes the Mojave
    The Cult should be on the main imo. before the replacements?
    The Whigs should move up a bit on the main. I don't know that chromeo or broken bells really belong there anyway. chromeo should take the spot Goat is in now then switch with aloe blacc.
    Haim should take the Whigs spot. should go HAIM>Whigs>Cult>Replacements.... on main
    Broken Bells in Haims spot

I pulled that all out of my ass
    Pretty much none of this makes sense. But Chromeo playing the Gobi at 5 or the Gobi at all for that matter? Thats just silly

Reasoning behind The Cult closing the Mojave? I think they will play earlier, I don't see them closing anything except maybe the Gobi, but I feel like that is GOAT's spot. Closing the Gobi.

I'm tempted to say Woodkid closes the Mojave. Just makes sense with his stage set up and type of music.

Maybe Flume plays the Sahara?

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Reasoning behind The Cult closing the Mojave? I think they will play earlier, I don't see them closing anything except maybe the Gobi, but I feel like that is GOAT's spot. Closing the Gobi.

I'm tempted to say Woodkid closes the Mojave. Just makes sense with his stage set up and type of music.

Maybe Flume plays the Sahara?
    Woodkid could easily close the Mojave, but theres no way Flume plays the Sahara. I'd bet something they put Flume, Shlomo and probably Bonobo all on the same stage (Gobi or Mojave) on Friday

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    Woodkid could easily close the Mojave, but theres no way Flume plays the Sahara. I'd bet something they put Flume, Shlomo and probably Bonobo all on the same stage (Gobi or Mojave) on Friday
    I don't know much about Flume except the tracks I've heard -- no idea what his crowd/draw or show is like, so I went off of these videos:

which made me think he could fit in early Sahara possibly. However I get where you're going with Shlohmo & Bonobo...just not sure that I entirely agree. I could see Bonobo in the Mojave...not sure about Shlohmo though. Once again, I have no knowledge of just how big he is but my initial gut reaction for him would be Gobi.
    Last edited by casey; 03-10-2014 at 01:21 PM.

No way Flume plays early in the Sahara. He'll be a night set either in the Gobi or Mojave.
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

I don't know much about Flume except the tracks I've heard -- no idea what his crowd/draw or show is like, so I went off of these videos:

which made me think he could fit in early Sahara possibly. However I get where you're going with Shlohmo & Bonobo...just not sure that I entirely agree. I could see Bonobo in the Mojave...not sure about Shlohmo though. Once again, I have no knowledge of just how big he is but my initial gut reaction for him would be Gobi.
    Basically my main reason for thinking Flume won't play the Sahara is that The Sahara is now a place for cookie cutter EDM DJs, i.e. Trap, Big Room, Electro House, Dubstep etc. (aside from a couple exceptions) Whereas over the last few years, the Gobi and Mojave have become sort of like Safe Havens for good Live Electronic acts, such as Disclosure, SBTRKT, Modeselektor Flying Lotus, Booka Shade, Amon Tobin etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    No way Flume plays early in the Sahara. He'll be a night set either in the Gobi or Mojave.
    Exactly. I remember people were thinking Disclosure would play an early Sahara set last year, but there was no way anything like that was going to happen. Same goes for Flume.

Ok, no Sahara, just a thought for early but totally get the argument against. But you all agree it's going to be at night?

Ok, no Sahara, just a thought for early but totally get the argument against. But you all agree it's going to be at night?
    Dolphinitley. Earliest would be Mojave at Sunset, which actually sounds pretty amazing.

I like Flume closing the Gobi but it should go Shlomo>Bonobo>Flume.
    --
    09, 10, 11, 12 (1 & 2), 13 (2)

Quote Originally Posted by sinkjstn View Post
    I like Flume closing the Gobi but it should go Shlomo>Bonobo>Flume.
    Nooooo Flume must not conflict with OutKast!

Jagwar Ma gun play sunset @ outdoor

Quote Originally Posted by InF3cT10uZ View Post
    Jagwar Ma gun play sunset @ outdoor
    Would be great

I'd be so down with that Jagwar Ma slot.

Quote Originally Posted by ficklecycle View Post
    I'd be so down with that Jagwar Ma slot.
    Just not sure they're big enough yet to land that slot

Agreed and Bryan Ferry should get that slot.

I figure Jagwar Ma for the outdoor late afternoon slot.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

Jagwar Ma in Alt-J slot from last year. Mojave 5:30 methinks.