Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4k TV

Default 4k TV

Discuss.

in particular is this the coolest shit on the horizon

or is it more like

LOOK HOW MANY PIXELS I HAVE!!!!!!11!!
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: 4k TV

I am hesitant to pick up a 4k when the 8k will be available in just a couple years. I would skip on the 4k and just save for the 8k. Sharp is already showing off 8k cameras at recent electronic expos and Japan just successfully tested a long-range 8k test broadcast. The term "true retina display" is thrown around a lot, but an 8k really is just that. Buy a 4k if money is not an issue.
    09,10,12w1,13w1

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

All the industry buzz I've been reading predicts 4K prices to overtake 1080p TV price points by the end of 2014. I think 8K is a ways off, especially since broadcast TV won't even hit 1080p anytime soon, let alone 4K. Samsung has also said to expect 4K quad layer Blu-Rays by the end of 2014, seeing as the Blu-Ray spec is totally capable of producing 4K resolution.
    Last edited by Donaldj; 01-23-2014 at 08:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Discuss.

in particular is this the coolest shit on the horizon

or is it more like

LOOK HOW MANY PIXELS I HAVE!!!!!!11!!
    It kind of reminds me of 3D TVs in that content is pretty limited. There are 4K movies that I'm sure look incredible, but 95% of the time the TV won't be utilizing the 4K features. Network TV is still 720p so it's going to be years before they even get anywhere near native 4K for most programs.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by ActionComics View Post
    I am hesitant to pick up a 4k when the 8k will be available in just a couple years. I would skip on the 4k and just save for the 8k. Sharp is already showing off 8k cameras at recent electronic expos and Japan just successfully tested a long-range 8k test broadcast. The term "true retina display" is thrown around a lot, but an 8k really is just that. Buy a 4k if money is not an issue.
    But what if you were installing a completely new home A/V system like, now?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

yea what everyone else said, theres very few 4K sources to show off on your fancy 4KTV
    Upcoming Shows:

Oh wow, I thought this was a tv show or something.

Also HDMI 2.0 just hit which has the capability of 32 channels of audio, the future looks super HD

"Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

I would just go for it and buy one. You may have buyers remorse though, when you see the prices drop after a few months. The reason I would want a 4k is because I love watching sports, so any upgrades in terms of display has me reaching in my pockets.
    09,10,12w1,13w1

have you looked at a 4K unit in person? I checked out the Sony 4Ktv and was disappointed with the movement blur. Lots of artifacting and motion blur, for a relatively still image its beautiful but if you are watching sports or action moves you might be disappointed. I would recommend checking one out in person before you make any choices.
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by Aphxtwinin View Post
    have you looked at a 4K unit in person? I checked out the Sony 4Ktv and was disappointed with the movement blur. Lots of artifacting and motion blur, for a relatively still image its beautiful but if you are watching sports or action moves you might be disappointed. I would recommend checking one out in person before you make any choices.
    You can't really go by store demos. They probably had motion processing jacked up or the demo was super compressed. I've looked at the Sony 4Ks at a Best Buy and have been nothing short of amazed.

We recently got a new house with a media room, for which we bought a Sony receiver with 4K compatibility. I am also very impressed by the 4K demo at Best Buy. Also, I think the PS4 has 4K videos planned. As of now, however, the 4K TVs are a bit too expensive. I know that 8K is looming around, but I wonder if that really means that 4K will be obsolete soon. I don't have much insight into it, but I feel like I hear about more preparation for 4K than 8K, despite that 8K already exists. Nonetheless, I think I'll hold off.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Donaldj View Post
    You can't really go by store demos. They probably had motion processing jacked up or the demo was super compressed. I've looked at the Sony 4Ks at a Best Buy and have been nothing short of amazed.
    Well I would think the Sony Store present the 4KTV at optimal conditions, also like you said you can't trust in store demos. Best Buy probably has an in house tech that optimizes every flagship TV...either way I support 4KTV but would wait for the 2nd generation.
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by ActionComics View Post
    I would just go for it and buy one. You may have buyers remorse though, when you see the prices drop after a few months. The reason I would want a 4k is because I love watching sports, so any upgrades in terms of display has me reaching in my pockets.
    see, most of what I watch on tv is sports.

I haven't seen it live yet, i need to do that before i commit a penny. My A/V guy is trying to sell me one is the deal.

I was really hoping to see them drop to $3,000 around Black Friday of last year and they finally did. Considering upgrading to one in a few months but I need to do some serious research first. I love the TV I have now but it's only 40 inches and it's about time I got a new one (had this one for about 7 years, Sony XBR2). Some of my friends are trying to claim that "4K" is just a gimmick and that "6K" and beyond will be coming soon, any truth to this?

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

xanman, did you read any of this thread before you posted?

considering the wealth of information It contains, he should have.

720 on a 4k is gonna rock.

xanman, did you read any of this thread before you posted?
    No, read it after.

Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Tom, if I were you I'd just get a top of the line 1080p television and sell it in a few years if you feel the need to upgrade. There are several good articles on 4k but I'd definitely reccomend reading this one from Wired.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/...push-ces-2013/

The big question is how much these smaller 4K TVs will cost. So far, everyone’s keeping pretty mum on pricing. That rarely suggests we’re looking at anything remotely affordable. LG was the one company to announce a price. Its 84-inch OLED 4K TV will retail for $12,000.

That’s a lot of money, and most people may not think 4K is worth the truckload of money they’ll pay for it. The truth is, as nice as these TVs are, you probably won’t see much difference. A 60-inch 4K won’t look dramatically better than the 1080p TV you have in your home right now unless you shove your nose into the screen. The average person’s eyes can’t see the difference when sitting 10 feet away from a 60-inch TV.

Even if you decide you simply must have the latest and greatest TV tech, and you’re willing to max out your credit card to get one, the content isn’t there. The 4K TVs on the market can up-sample the content. Sort of how your current Blu-ray player up-samples DVDs. But it’s not ideal and there are no actual content devices on the market yet. Sony currently has a device it loans to customers that have purchased its 4K TV to watch Sony Pictures movies. At CES the company announced that it would have a 4K solution in the summer that included a device that would connect to a Sony Pictures Entertainment distribution service. The service will play, you guessed it, Sony Pictures Entertainment movies.

Broadcast is an even bigger issue. Broadcast TV only recently switched to all digital signals in June 2009 and it’s not even good enough for the TVs we have now. Peter Vasay, part of THX’s video certification team, told Wired, “As far as infrastructure, we’re pretty far away from that. We’re only at 1080i now. We’re not at full HD over broadcast.”
    Long story short, if you love movies and like the idea of watching them in 4K there's maybe a reason to buy now and pay a premium. If you just plan on watching sports I don't see any reason to spend the extra $5000 when 4K sports content is still several years away.
    Last edited by bobert; 01-23-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Tom, if I were you I'd just get a top of the line 1080p television and sell it in a few years if you feel the need to upgrade.
    Yes, this is kind of what I'm thinking too. Though I do want to see one of them.

What do you consider 'top of the line' 1080p?

Yes, this is kind of what I'm thinking too. Though I do want to see one of them.

this is what I have and its perfection: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P55VT60
    Upcoming Shows:

You could always spend more, but I think you'd be pretty happy with any of these:

Sony KDL70R520A 70-Inch 1080p 120Hz Internet LED TV

Sharp LC-70LE750 70-Inch Aquos Quattron 1080p 240Hz Smart LED HDTV

VIZIO E701i-A3 70-inch 1080p 120Hz Razor LED Smart HDTV

Quote Originally Posted by Donaldj View Post
    Also HDMI 2.0 just hit which has the capability of 32 channels of audio, the future looks super HD
    If I am in the mood to set up 32 speakers to my tv, this will really be helpful.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Most movies are mastered at 4k, but the thing is, most people and their human eyes are not going to notice the difference unless it's a HUGE screen size.

Also, while most movies are mastered at 4k, that doesn't mean that most home releases are 4k. Blu-rays are 23.98-1080p. 4k is just being to be a buzzword to sell hardware and software. From what I hear, even home 4k isn't true 4k. To be even more confusing, Sony is even releasing a series of blu-rays that are "mastered in 4k," even though it's mostly just a marketing ploy because most likely, the movies in that series were ALREADY mastered in 4k.

Theme night listing:

The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    Most movies are mastered at 4k, but the thing is, most people and their human eyes are not going to notice the difference unless it's a HUGE screen size.

Also, while most movies are mastered at 4k, that doesn't mean that most home releases are 4k. Blu-rays are 23.98-1080p. 4k is just being to be a buzzword to sell hardware and software. From what I hear, even home 4k isn't true 4k. To be even more confusing, Sony is even releasing a series of blu-rays that are "mastered in 4k," even though it's mostly just a marketing ploy because most likely, the movies in that series were ALREADY mastered in 4k.
    Shit like this is what worries me the most

Upcoming shows
    Events

Mostly, I think 4k is never going beyond the territory of early adopters/Xanman, much in the way laserdisc was only really picked-up by high-collectors/home theater junkies in the late 80's/early 90's.

Theme night listing:

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    To be even more confusing, Sony is even releasing a series of blu-rays that are "mastered in 4k," even though it's mostly just a marketing ploy because most likely, the movies in that series were ALREADY mastered in 4k.
    Yeah this is such a load of bullshit. They're movies that are "optimized for 4K", and yet they're 1080p just like every other blu-ray on the planet. Just be sure all of your hdmi cables are gold plated otherwise you might not notice the difference.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

My dad recently bought a new Sony TV and the picture is incredible. When it comes to sports the 120hz technology makes the games crystal clear with very little motion blur. I have a samsung and the 120hz stuff doesn't even come close to as good as Sony's. If you're going to be using it primarily for sports then I'd look for a TV with the best 120hz tech.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Yeah this is such a load of bullshit. They're movies that are "optimized for 4K", and yet they're 1080p just like every other blu-ray on the planet. Just be sure all of your hdmi cables are gold plated otherwise you might not notice the difference.
    Something like this ought to do the trick don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Something like this ought to do the trick don't you think?
    Hahahahaha. That's awesome. The reviews are the best part, nothing but raves.