Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

I hope Beats Music is a success, I like the UI and I have not been let down by the music suggestions at all, and have already been exposed to several artists that Ive enjoyed that I wouldnt have found on Spotify otherwise. Yesterday was one bugged out mess on my phone, having to clear ram, change passwords, now it seems to be working great, although when I go to another app on my phone such as instagram, the music stops playing within 30sec. Anyone else getting that?
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

Huge thanks to everyone for making our launch day yesterday so successful. We've been blown away by the love that made us the #1 Music App in the iTunes Store.

Due to the extremely high volume of interest in our service some users are experiencing issues. Most people are unaffected but our priority is to give everyone a great experience. We prepared for issues like these, have a plan, and are going to hold off on letting more people in while we put this plan in action.

For those of you that claimed your name in the lead up to launch, we still have your username reserved and we'll be in touch with your invite. We appreciate your support.

Everyone who registers this week will get an additional seven days added to their trial.

We're staying focused on bringing you the best music experience from the people who know what song comes next. Stay tuned, and thanks for being excited about Beats Music.

Ian Rogers
    CEO

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

question: the list of supported platforms includes 'web'. does this imply I can log on to a brower and select and stream music in my web browser? one of the reasons I never use spotify is because it requires downloading an app. I want to be able to do everything through my web browser.

I have not had any success using the website. Each time I try to log in last night and today it takes me to a blank white page.

I've been able to play music through the browser but the site has been very glitchy and hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    question: the list of supported platforms includes 'web'. does this imply I can log on to a brower and select and stream music in my web browser? one of the reasons I never use spotify is because it requires downloading an app. I want to be able to do everything through my web browser.
    Yeah, it doesnt need an app, itll asked for some info, but yeah. Still getting sorted out. Maybe too many people dont want to use their phone with it and are attempting to use the desktop version.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    Spotify has a web player from what I know. I rarely use it though. Beats has a web browser version but it's glitchy right now
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

I just signed up for a trial version. I don't want to like it, because Spotify Premium has treated me well. But, just now, I put in a sentence "I'm in bed & I feel like dreaming with my pets to electronic," and it started with "A Cherry on Top" from The Knife, which is pretty cool.

EDIT: I made a blog post of my thoughts.
    Last edited by Alchemy; 01-23-2014 at 01:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I am really digging it. I especially enjoy the intro playlists. Really helped me with replacements. Looks as though I will be switching over.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...plans-20140124

Steve Knopper
    January 24, 2014 12:20 PM ETIn addition to screaming his lungs out as frontman for Nine Inch Nails, Trent Reznor has a corporate job – he's chief creative officer for Beats Music, the new streaming-music service that launched earlier this week. Reznor recently spoke to Rolling Stone about how he landed his Beats gig and his recording plans for this year.

When did Beats Music hire you as chief creative officer and how did it come up?

About two-and-a-half years ago or so. Might be a little longer than that. I've been friends with Jimmy [Iovine] since the early Nineties, when he signed Nine Inch Nails to Interscope – we maintained a friendship throughout our artist-label era. A few years ago, he brought me in to check out what he did with Beats Electronics and it was pretty mind-blowing. He asked me to solve a problem with the hardware he'd been having – an interesting riddle to me. I'd hear him speaking excitedly about his concept of a streaming service with curation at the forefront. My eyes lit up. I said, "Hey, in my own world, I agree that a product like that feels like the right move, from a consumer standpoint." We started executing that. I think I'm the longest employee here now at this point.

How much do you participate in the curation, as far as selecting songs or overseeing playlists or quality control?

I'm not part of the editorial team or the content team. What I've done has been more architectural, in terms of "What is this thing? What is the spirit of this thing? How does it look? Let's really examine every situation in which we listen to music and the shortcomings of current versions, whether it be terrestrial radio or satellite radio or iTunes/iPods." We're trying to bring joy to the user and sort through the world's catalog of music into digestible parcels that considers context where it might be. It reimagines the home stereo as sitting in your pocket rather than on a shelf in your house. It's coming up with the idea that humans need to be involved in this process and the miracle of algorithms. What we've been promised – it seems great, but more often than not it feels like a computer.

Had you spent much time with other streaming services before working on Beats?

I'd used services like Rhapsody. I was excited by the process of Pandora, which I still think is a decent product. Not as great in actuality as it sounds. After the first hour, its weaknesses start to show up. Spotify – I met those guys before they launched in America and was wildly excited about the idea. "Wow, this is all the music in the world, for a flat fee." They were bragging about the fact they were agnostic – "We're not here to tell you what to listen to." Interesting. I'm looking at a black screen, kind of like iTunes. Wonder if Nine Inch Nails is in there. Hey, it is. But as a music fan, I found myself trying to force myself to use it. I didn't reach for it when I got in the car to drive. It still felt the like I had to do the work to use it. It felt utilitarian.

And that's when Beats Music came along?

I was in a place like that when the opportunity came up with Jimmy. On my own, I'm not going to try to get funding. It's more of a daydream. With Jimmy, it's more likely to become a reality. We kind of wound up in the same place.

What have you learned about working for a tech company?

The most difficult part, for me, was scaling things down to being digestible, really putting on the focus on a few key components that worked really well when they launched, with a road map. Things that wouldn't make sense to overload the user with. What's happened with me in the last couple months as I've been using a prototype on my phone is that the real strength and integrity of the playlists that we've made have become clear to me. . . . I haven't had that from the other services. Somebody that actually knows what they're talking about, or there's a selection of songs that feels like they're coming from a trusted source. That has real value to me and I think the public is going to pick up on that.

What are Nine Inch Nails' touring and recording plans for 2014?

We're leaving to go to tour mid-to-late February, in Australia with Queens [of the Stone Age]. We've got dates booked through the end of the summer. A lot of touring ahead. Just started on a new product. Can't tell you what it is yet. It will take place while touring. New music maybe this fall. Every spare second, and even seconds that aren't spare, are trying to wrangle this new creation into shape.

Really? What else can you say about the recording project?

That's more than I should've.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A few major problems so far:
    -doesn't properly sort songs on albums with more than one disc
    itunes does this to me too i've noticed.

/off-topic
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Gotcha, yeah, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm also not opposed to streaming in general, but I am alarmed that the industry is turning over to this model.
    i would like to continue the hijack lol.

not just for the sake of the artists, but i hate streaming. i mean, it's fine if you're at home with wifi, but i don't like the idea of having to pay for data to listen to music. i'd rather just pay for the music. i travel a lot and don't want to pay $8 for wifi to listen to music. or i go hiking or camping or just walking in my neighborhood or any other number of places without wifi.

i guess i'm old fashioned and just prefer to own the music. i love that google play allows me to download to my phone, my tablet, and my computer, but also lets me stream from my library if i don't want to download it to my phone for some reason.

streaming is fine every once in awhile, especially if i want to test out something new. but i am perplexed by the idea of streaming 24/7 every time i want to listen to music. am i just old/weird?
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 01-24-2014 at 12:26 PM.

yes...

I feel thats all I do know expect for when I buy vinyl. Other than that the majority of my music is streamed now.

lol, i figured as much

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    So essentially this is Spotify, the artists still probably don't get paid, and whatever money exists goes to Jimmy Iovine instead of Spotify?

Where do I sign up??
    I love a lawyer who just arbitrarily assumes things with absolutely no data whatsoever.

The presence of Jimmy Iovine does not necessarily prove that this product will fuck over the artists. The fact that actual musicians--particularly one like Trent who has had serious gripes with the way record companies fuck over artists--I think is a pretty good indicator that it will be a much better pay model than Pandora or Spotify, which are both basically a step above giving your music away for free in the same way that getting fifty cents is better than getting zero cents.

The real question with all of this is are people going to actually pay for this once the free period is over? I'm intrigued to see how the first month figures sort out.

But the ultimate reality is this: literally ANYTHING that actually pays artists for the value of their music as a product is a fucking luxury they should be grateful for, because technology has made that model completely irrelevant. No one needs to pay for music. And acting like Jimmy Iovine is still a big force in the music industry in any real way is frankly silly. He's the head of a "major label," which is a lot like being the head of the biggest buggy whip manufacturer circa 1930. If Lady Gaga's album doesn't meet certain sales figures, Interscope is practically going to be out of business completely. That should tell you a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Blah blah blah you assume too much lawyer, here are my assumptions that are opposite.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I also like Trent Reznor as voice of the yeoman musician, champion of the rights of the little guy.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

God you're a fucking moron. Can Bob come back and you leave?

You are more than welcome to use the ignore function, Randy.

How is everyone doing with this service? I have five days left on the extended trial. I'm still enjoying it. It's still glitchy on occasion for me. Playlists will be empty or The Sentence.. will be unavailable. Random things here and there but nothing for an extended period of time. My plan at this point is to let it expire because I have until June on google.music . I figured in June I would probably go back to beats.

Does anyone know if you can add the music on your phone to your library? Is there a way to make beats scan your phone for music or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    How is everyone doing with this service? I have five days left on the extended trial. I'm still enjoying it. It's still glitchy on occasion for me. Playlists will be empty or The Sentence.. will be unavailable. Random things here and there but nothing for an extended period of time. My plan at this point is to let it expire because I have until June on google.music . I figured in June I would probably go back to beats.

Does anyone know if you can add the music on your phone to your library? Is there a way to make beats scan your phone for music or something like that?
    I'm still having a bunch of problems. It completely drains my battery and I cannot go to another app or go on the web while im listening to beats. I have a 4s with io7 I am wondering if it is just my phone or if these issues are going on for anyone else.

It does drain my battery pretty good but I can go to the web, make calls and it even pauses the music correctly when making calls and restarts on its own when I hang up.

No problems whatsoever on an iPhone 5. Already canceled my spotify account and have rebuilt my library on beats. Library being the pertinent word. Fuck spotify for refusing to add the most basic necessity when it comes to an app like that b

Yeah the app kills my battery pretty fast on my iPhone 5S. Hopefully they release an update to fix it soon. That and loading my library takes quite a while too.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Is that while streaming or listening to downloaded content?

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I don't see myself staying subscribed once my free subscription runs out in a few months. Now that Spotify offers phone streaming without a paid subscription I see no real reason to use beats. I do like the interface better for beats though, but a slick interface isn't worth $15/month to me.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Is that while streaming or listening to downloaded content?
    Streaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

I think we can all agree that Beats Music sucks and will fail
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I'm a little conflicted about Beats vs. Spotify. I've found stuff on Beats that I can't find on Spotify, and I've found stuff on Spotify that I can't find on Beats; however, none of it's major enough to declare one service better. I think that the Beats search function works better than Spotify, because Spotify doesn't always give a complete list of relevant results (e.g. searching for "Debussy" will not bring up all albums with Debussy in their title). I like Beats ability to create a personal library, but I don't necessarily need to bunch things away from the main library. It does make things a little more convenient and nice, though.

I think I'm going to stick with Spotify for its radio function, its desktop apps, and because I have many friends that I exchange stuff with. The Sentence on Beats is very creative, but I haven't been impressed by its song selections. Spotify sometimes misses the basket, but I get better mixes by making radio stations from albums and playlists than I do from The Sentence. Also, while I appreciate the recommendations and curated lists, Spotify has plenty of curated playlists too, and I could always do a quick Google search (or come to this board) to find out where to start with an unfamiliar artist. I also like Spotify's iPad app, which is developed specifically for the iPad, unlike Beats Music's app.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****