Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 74

Thread: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

  1. #1
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    I see people discussing in multiple threads so I figured it was time to create a Beats specific thread.

    I'm loving Beats so far. I've gotten lost in a few playlists. Some kinks can still be worked out with social media sharing, seems to work maybe half the time. What I really like is the interface, look and sound quality.

    I feel like I could use a tutorial too. I click on the dialog bubble in the top right and it says "Lets get you warmed up" and tells you to follow artists. Well, I'm following a few artists but that dialog box doesn't appear to have a use that i've discovered yet.

    Basically the app opens up to a main screen with different options as you swipe to the left. "just for you" appears to be playlists curated to your tastes. They get an idea for your taste with a few intro questions about a few bands and genres you like. Swipe left and up next is "The Sentence" a featur that allows you to form a sentence describing where you are and what you are doing so that it can make another playlist for you. Swipe again and "highlights" is the next section. Currently it lists Bruce Springsteens Sould Southern Favorites. This is where you will find 'expert essentials' with albums, artists and playlists created by the experts at Beats music. Finally swipe a last time and you reach "find it" a general search by genre, activity or curators. The curators seem to be radio stations, music magazines and even some corporate retail outlets like Target.

    I'm on day two of exploring this app. I currently also have sirius/xm, free spotify and premium google music on my phone. I had been primarily using Google Music because of the free use until June but when that expires I see Beats as a possibility for paid. I'm currently testing between Google Music, Spotify and Beats.

  2. #2
    old school TickleMeElmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,391

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Anybody else having trouble adding artists to your library? It worked for a bit yesterday but now it's completely empty and I can't add anything to it. I assume it's just buggy right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

  3. #3
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    My assumption as well. I just tried to log into my account via the website on my phone instead of the app to see if there were some settings I could adjust like the social media sharing but it doesn't let me log in. It says "TokenGrant uuid no found".

    I'm not sure how to add an artist to the library. I can add songs but I haven't figured out an entire artist.

  4. #4
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,108

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    What is the cost on this? My big issue with spotify is not being able to free up space after removing music from offline availability. So basic a necessity, but spotify ain't doing shit to correct it. Their solution is to delete the app and redownload all the music you do want. Guess android has a button to clean it up, but nothing for Apple.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 01-22-2014 at 11:00 AM.

  5. #5
    Coachella Junkie Boourns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    26,673

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    A few major problems so far:
    -no scrobbling
    -doesn't properly sort songs on albums with more than one disc
    -crashes constantly
    -library I spent an hour painstakingly curating has been unavailable for 20 hours or so
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

  6. #6
    old school Spooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,025

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    I love Trent/NIN but this is so over the top pretentious it isn't even funny...

    ps More excited for Neil Young's PONO!


    7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output



    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

  7. #7
    old school TickleMeElmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,391

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    What is the cost on this? My big issue with spotify is not being able to free up space after removing music from offline availability. So basic a necessity, but spotify ain't doing shit to correct it. Their solution is to delete the app and redownload all the music you do want. Guess android has a button to clean it up, but nothing for Apple.
    $10 a month, same as Spotify. Yes, you can delete stored music but the option makes you clear all of it, not specifics songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

  8. #8
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    I love Trent/NIN but this is so over the top pretentious it isn't even funny...
    It's an advertising campaign. I imagine they are over the top and pretentious by nature but this doesn't bother me in any way. I would like them to get on fixing these early glitches like the ones Boourns has mentioned.


    ps More excited for Neil Young's PONO!
    and I love Neil but to me his product is pretentious. I don't have the resources to invest in super audiophile equipment to appreciate the super high quality albums he is going to be selling. I listen on bluetooth headphones most of the day through my cell phone. At home I plug headphones into my stereo and listen to vinyl or play a streaming service through my speakers and it sounds just fine to me.

    That said, is Pono a streaming service? I read it's not really competing with Spotify or Beats but going directly for Itunes market having convinced all the major labels to remaster their catelogs....the idea being to re-sell all the old stuff AGAIN because of the new higher quality sound?

    Here is what I read from a couple of months ago on Pono.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57...-music-system/

    I guess we'll see how this all pans out.
    Last edited by faxman75; 01-22-2014 at 11:42 AM.

  9. #9
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,108

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Beats isn't compatible with the Sonos system yet, makes it a no go instantly since our whole house has it.

  10. #10
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Coming very soon according to this.

    http://www.androidcentral.com/fill-y...ts-music-sonos

    This claims it's already available but I don't have any personal or first hand knowledge.

    http://blog.sonos.com/news/beats-mus...ying-on-sonos/
    Last edited by faxman75; 01-22-2014 at 01:39 PM.

  11. #11
    old school Aphxtwinin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    3,378

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    I like it, I would love it if it stopped crashing.
    Upcoming Shows:

  12. #12
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,108

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Coming very soon according to this.

    http://www.androidcentral.com/fill-y...ts-music-sonos
    Actually, just updated and it does show it now. Still going to hold off on trying until the kinks are gone.

  13. #13
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    I had crash and connection issues today too. I'll see how happy I am at the end of this 7 day trial.

  14. #14
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,305

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    So essentially this is Spotify, the artists still probably don't get paid, and whatever money exists goes to Jimmy Iovine instead of Spotify?

    Where do I sign up??
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  15. #15
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Or maybe because we don't have specifics on how royalties are working yet we shouldn't jump to conclusions?

    This article claims Beats is paying much higher than Spotify and the company is using this as a selling point to artists and labels too.

    Actually, Beats’ payouts will probably be much higher than those mailed by Spotify, at least when measured per-strream. The reason is that Beats won’t be burning piles of cash on ad-support (ie, free) access, which cuts per-stream royalties by more than 90%. In fact, the only way to score a discount is through a bundled AT&T Family Plan (up to 5 users for one, $14.99 fee), and a 30-day free trials (sort of like Rhapsody).

  16. #16
    old school Aphxtwinin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    3,378

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I had crash and connection issues today too. I'll see how happy I am at the end of this 7 day trial.
    yea agreed, I really like it so far though. Especially the sentence feature, if they can get it working smoothly by next week then I would switch from spotify.
    Upcoming Shows:

  17. #17
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    My concern is all the main stream audience targeting. Which will have more content and a better user interface for the music geeks like us, Beats or Spotify? A lot remains to be seen. I'm not sold on anything yet but if Beats cleans up the glitches fairly soon and maintains a strong catelog then I would choose this service over Spotify. I like the look and usability a bit more.

  18. #18
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,305

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Part of the issue with the low Spotify payouts is that the labels gobble up most of the paltry streaming revenue, and pass back even smaller crumbs to the artists. I don't understand why we would conclude that getting the biggest label of all directly involved in the streaming business is going to alleviate that problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  19. #19
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    That's a different argument entirely that's been going on for decades. Artists recording contracts. Labels have been flopping around like fish for nearly a decade now of course they will take big bites of chum from streaming services when they are offered them to participate. It sounds like your argument in general is against streaming services because of the lack of revenue for an artist. That's a valid argument but you have plenty of people who still insist downloading illegally is acceptable because the artist is making his/her money from live shows and merch.

    That whole argument is frankly been done to death with very few if any interesting points remaining.

  20. #20
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    My service has been completely down for about 45 minutes now. App opens but it says "failed to load" then says try again later.

  21. #21
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,305

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    That's a different argument entirely that's been going on for decades. Artists recording contracts. Labels have been flopping around like fish for nearly a decade now of course they will take big bites of chum from streaming services when they are offered them to participate. It sounds like your argument in general is against streaming services because of the lack of revenue for an artist. That's a valid argument but you have plenty of people who still insist downloading illegally is acceptable because the artist is making his/her money from live shows and merch.

    That whole argument is frankly been done to death with very few if any interesting points remaining.
    Well right, but we can chose to do our small part by not signing up for a streaming service, particularly one being ran directly by Interscope records with the hopes of further monopolizing what's left of the music distribution business. I mean, imagine if in the context of a political discussion, I just said "welp, that argument's been done to death, so we should just be resigned to [insert unacceptable state of affairs] here." You'd flip over that, faxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  22. #22
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    I was just trying to pin down your argument. By your first comment I wasn't aware that you were against all streaming and downloading but now I am. I don't necessarily disagree with you at least ethically but it feels like the ship has sailed either way. Streaming services are multiplying and not going away so since this is a modern reality I participate by using the services and argue in favor the artists getting more revenue. (yes I realize the hypocricy in it).

    Youtube is the largest streaming service out there for music. I don't get how they have gotten mega rich off of other peoples content even when those artists have not given their permission. See, this thread seems like an odd place for the whole piracy/artist revenue discussion because that talk encompasses far more than just Beats.

  23. #23
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,305

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Gotcha, yeah, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm also not opposed to streaming in general, but I am alarmed that the industry is turning over to this model.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  24. #24
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,936

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Actually, just updated and it does show it now. Still going to hold off on trying until the kinks are gone.
    What? The Kinks are fantastic. If Beats had the Reprise records that would be a big score in their favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    What? The Kinks are fantastic. If Beats had the Reprise records that would be a big score in their favor.

  26. #26
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,108

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Ouch.

    Looks like an update has just been released, claiming a bunch of bug fixes.

  27. #27
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,108

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Ok, downloaded and started the free trial and it has been flawless so far. Best part is the library function. Really hate that spotify keeps shit such a mess, hate having to scroll down to the bottom to find an album I downloaded months ago by an artist, while another of theirs is in the middle, another at the top. Really bad ui.

  28. #28
    old school Aphxtwinin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    3,378

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Ouch.

    Looks like an update has just been released, claiming a bunch of bug fixes.
    my app is working great now
    Upcoming Shows:

  29. #29
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,108

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    Spotify better act quickly with some updates or they will lose a good many people to this, I believe.

  30. #30
    old school TickleMeElmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,391

    Default Re: Beats Music (Streaming Music service brought to you by Dr. Dre and Trent Reznor)

    A lot of the playlists they have are really great too, including influences of certain artists, forefathers of genres and the roots of genres.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Similar Threads

  1. Best Music Streaming/Hosting Service
    By ialvarado2 in forum Polls
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM
  2. Best Music Streaming/Hosting Service
    By ialvarado2 in forum Polls
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2012, 08:00 PM
  3. Trent Reznor to marry????wtf??!!
    By ghoulina in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 08:54 PM
  4. Trent Reznor: 'Steal my music'
    By orbit in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 09:52 PM
  5. Trent Reznor would have been awesome
    By walkunafraid in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 07:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •