Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Smart-5 Dumb -5 Missed Bookings

Default 5 Smart-5 Dumb -5 Missed Bookings

Now that we've had some time to digest the lineup, please list 5 bands that makes Goldenvoice look smart for signing, 5 stupid/pointless/wtf bookings that warrant hate, and 5 artists that should of been on the lineup but Goldenvoice missed the boat.

Smart
    1. Woodkid (An unknown commodity that's pushing boundaries of art and music. Beautifully done GV)
    2. Motorhead (Showed that golden voice has the bravado to book whoever the fuck they want and people will eat it up. So unexpected yet so perfect)
    3. Pharrell Williams (This was unexpected yet so obvious. One of the most relevant names in music who's put his signature on some of the biggest hits last year. Sure there are the haters but Pharrell's appeal has no boundaries and he's sure to string together a set of hit songs with an A list guest list)
    4. DARKSIDE (Anytime you book nicholas jaar you look smart)
    5. OutKast (Nuff said)

Stupid
    1. Beady Eye (No one in 2014 gives a fuck about beady eye. Hell no one has ever given a fuck about them)
    2. Girl Talk (Why does GV insist on making Girl Talk the most recycled act at coachella?)
    3. MGMT (Their live show sucks and they haven't done anything important since Oracle. Waste of Space)
    4. Dillon Francis (Out of the 170 + acts that played last year they had to bring this guy back?)
    5. HAIM (Fuck HAIM)

Missed
    1. Failure
    2. Arctic Monkeys
    3. Boards of Canada
    4. Tears for Fears
    5. Volcano Choir

Default Re: 5 Smart-5 Dumb -5 Missed Bookings

Boards of Canada shouldn't qualify as a missed boat because they don't do any live shows and at this rate doubtfully ever will.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Smart:
    1. The Replacements - these seem to be the only gigs planned this year for them. Paul obviously locked em up a long time ago. great move and my # 1 act for the weekend.
    2. Darkside - Agree with OP
    3. The Knife - People have been asking for this for a long time. The current live show may be questionable but it's great to see their name on the poster finally.
    4. Afghan Whigs - Just a beautiful surprise
    5. Mogwai - New album is fantastic

Stupid:
    1. Muse - They were late having them headline in 2010, now it just makes no sense. Their last two albums were proper garbage. So Lazy.
    2. Broken Bells - I just don't really understand their placement on the lineup. Is anyone even gonna see this?
    3. Fatboy Slim - How is this dude relevant in 2014?
    4. Skrillex - I'm just so sick of this little twat
    5. Empire of the Sun & MGMT - Did we really need both?

Missed:
    The National
    Televison
    Parquet Courts
    Nine Inch Nails (instead of Muse)
    Run the Jewels

Missed:
    - Deafheaven
    - Basement Jaxx
    - Run the Jewels
    - Damon Albarn
    - Volcano Choir

Stupid:
    - Skrillex
    - Ellie Goulding
    - MGMT
    - Lana Del Ray
    - Kid Cudi

Smart:
    - Outkast
    - The Replacements
    - The Knife
    - Jagwar Ma
    - Classixx
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

Smart
    1. Outkast -Yes they're doing every festival possible this year but Coachella was the 1st festival to announce them and I think will be where they'll premier their reunion (Unkess they play The Grammys or a quick show before somewhere)
    2. Pharrell Williams -I think they tried super hard to get Daft Punk this year and no dice again so why not get somebody that'll play Daft Punk during their set? PW has an amazing career and could put on a whole day set with all his of hits. It was unexpected and I think will be a highlight for many.
    3. Disclosure -Yes they closed one of the tents last year but if you were lucky enough to be there you'll know they killed it. Repeats can be lame but I think given how big they've gotten and how great they are live not too many ppl will be mad.
    4. Little Dragon -I wish they played last year since almost everyone else got them but nevertheless I think they have proven themself to get an amazing set time. Idk if they have a new album coming out but it's great to see ppl high on the bill based on dues paid as oppose hype or one hit song.
    5. Chance The Rapper -I saw him live last summer and thought he was amazing. I think this is exactly the type of hip hop performance Coachella audience tend to like most.

Dumb
    1. Girl Talk -I regretted so much seeing him in 2012 instead of Justice. After years of missing the chance to him I was very disappointed at how corny it was. Now he's back again so soon? Much rather Z-Trip or 2mamydjs/Soulwax
    2. Skrillex -If he came with Diplo as JackU than I'd be a lot more forgiving but he was here in 2011 & 2013, that's way too much for somebody who's music has become more of a punchline than respected. It just seems like a waste of a great spot.
    3. Muse -I just think they suck, I don't the hype around them at all. They're the type of music that makes my skin crawl and avoid listening to radio.
    4. AFI -Has early00's nostalgia already started? I remember liking them when Total Immortal came out and then they blew up into some crappy corporate rock bs. I guess I should just be lucky they didn't bring Korn or Limp Bizkit.
    5. Calvin Harris -He was just here in 2012! If he brought his band back (Which he said he'd never do again) I'd be a little excited but just seems lame to me.

Missed (Not including Daft Punk)
    1. Black Hippie or any member from it -Kendrick played in 2012 but had a shitty daytime set. I figured he'd get the Disclosure treatment last year but no dice. This year would make even more sense I guess still no. And Schoolboy Q has an album coming out in February, HOW THAT BOOKING WAS MISSED IS BEYOND ME!!!! B/c that would be so perfect it's retarded not to (I assume they did try to get him and things fell through but still)
    2. Quadron -Ok you f'd up big time last year and didn't get Rhye. But for god's sake get Quadron this year since their album was amazing. It's a huge mistake not to get either for this year.
    3. MIA -Yes I'm aware ppl hate her but I think given what her last tour looked like and how great her album was to me and a lot of ppl it'd get a lot of excitement and a big crowd. Personally I'd hate her on main stage, if she got a tent late at night it'd be insane
    4. Kelela -While not yet a big name, like Chance The Rapper her mixtape got lots of attention and big praise. Would have been a big launching point for her and I think given where RnB is going it'd be smart to book a lot more acts in that vein. A lot of ppl would get into it if exposed to it
    5. 7 Days Of Funk/Black Milk -Yes Snoop was here in 2012 and Dam-Funk last year but it would be a super fun performance if they did mostly that album. Would be a great sunset set. And Black Milk is so great live he'd kill it with the Coachella crowd, his new album was one of the most underrated last year.

Missed:

Television
    White Lung
    Titus Andronicus
    the Rolling Stones
    Tom Waits

Dumb:
    pretty much all of Saturday

Smart:
    the Replacements
    Afghan Whigs
    NMH
    Motorhead
    Neko Case

Can't believe they didn't land Basement Jaxx. It looked so likely. Another fail by Coachella.

Missed
    Chic
    Fuck Buttons
    Robyn & Royksopp
    Basement Jaxx
    Tears For Fears

Dumb
    Girl Talk
    Sleigh Bells
    Kid Cudi
    Beady Eye
    City And Colour

Smart
    OutKast
    The Replacements
    Bryan Ferry
    Beck
    Pet Shop Boys

SMART:

Outkast
    the Knife
    Motorhead
    GOAT
    Factory Floor

All show the diversity that makes this festival great...

DUMB:

Girl Talk (zzzzzzzzz)
    AFI (What year/dimension is this?)
    Neutral Milk Hotel (Not because it'll be bad, but because it'll be the same damn show we got two years ago)
    Beady Eye (But I'll be there regardless to watch the train wreck and to scream my request for Noel Gallagher songs)
    Duck Sauce (Just because we'll hear "ooooo-ooooo-oooo-ooooh, ooo-ooo-oooh, ooo-ooo-ooo-oooh" x 57894 in the campgrounds again)

MISSED:

|\| | |/|
    Cults (You landed the Cult instead... I guess that's about the same thing)
    Guided By Voices (Why the hell hasn't the reunion tour made the lineup yet?)
    Robyn & Royksopp (would have been epic)
    Lou Reed Hologram (What, too soon?)
    Last edited by Fourthisto; 01-22-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post
    Neutral Milk Hotel (Not because it'll be bad, but because it'll be the same damn show we got two years ago)
    I have a hard time believing Neutral Milk Hotel, as a full band, will sound just like Jeff Mangum with only his guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Missed
    Fuck Buttons
    Robyn & Royksopp
    Basement Jaxx
    + TRENTEMØLLER
    Last edited by ArcadeParade; 01-22-2014 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    I have a hard time believing Neutral Milk Hotel, as a full band, will sound just like Jeff Mangum with only his guitar.
    I hear Julian Koster will play a different type of banjo Weekend 2 than he will on Weekend 1, really looking forward to how different those experiences will be. Should be epic.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/inde...k_hotel_d.html

So it'll be worse?!?! Damn, didn't see that coming. Thanks, Tom.

Have fun at Calvin Harris.

Smart:
    Bryan Ferry
    Pet Shop Boys
    Disclosure
    Motorhead
    Mogwai

Dumb:
    MARTIN GARRIX (Are you fucking kidding me with his location on the poster?)
    Calvin Harris (would be smart if he did his live band, but still, too soon with same set time as last time in same tent)
    Dillon Fracis (of all people to repeat...)
    MGMT (worst performance of 2010 for me)
    Alesso/Duck sauce (too soon with nothing to contribute)

Missed
    Tears for Fears
    The Pixies
    Belle and Sebastian
    NIN and/or Tool
    Underworld

Some of these "missed" are acts for which there was no indication they were even a possibility. The ones that suck are the acts popping up at other fests and events which indicate they might have been around.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    Stupid:
    - Lana Del Ray
    I fully understand why some strongly dislike her, but she is one of the handful of unique/rare/"get" billings on the lineup. I think she has the best selling album on the entire lineup in recent years and at least 95% of her audience have never had the chance to see her play live. Critical opinion is very split on her, but those who like it are quite passionate and the albums has appeared on many year end "best of" list that I respect.

I don't understand why several people on this forum have dumped on this booking.

Everyone is spot on with their stupids/dumbs except:

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post

DUMB:

I mean...come on.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post

I don't understand why several people on this forum have dumped on this booking.
    Because she's a fucking fake manufactured 'indie artist' who sucks giant horse balls.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Great Thread

Everybody's smart and dumb are pretty spot on.

Missed

Tears For Fears
    Underworld
    Rancid
    Nine Inch Nails
    Trentemoller
    Cults
    Basement Jaxx
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

old school

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Because she's a fucking fake manufactured 'indie artist' who sucks giant horse balls.
    Like the Strokes?

How many past/present Coachella acts have lipsync'ed onstage or used a "just press play" backing tape?

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Exactly this
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post

How many past/present Coachella acts have lipsync'ed onstage or used a "just press play" backing tape?
    Aren't you the best person to answer this question?

Smart
    Tiga
    Laurent Garnier
    Woodkid
    Dj Falcon
    Duck Sauce

Dumb
    Skrillex & Lana Del Rey omfg the year hipsters unite, fucking annoying people
    Martin Garrix
    Foster The People
    Zedd

Missed
    Jackson and His Computerband
    Kavinsky
    Proxy
    M.I.A.
    Gesaffelstein
    Ed Banger Records
    2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

missed

matthew dear
    fuck buttons
    courtney barnett
    pixies
    radiohead

dumb

muse
    skrillex
    chromeo
    ellie goulding
    girl talk

smart

beck
    the replacements
    bryan ferry
    afgan whigs
    outkast

lol at fourthisto thinking the nmh show will the 'same show' we got two years ago. it's wildly different.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    missed

radiohead
    THEY JUST PLAYED 2 F'N YEARS AGO!!! For all the complaining about cycling acts the last thing Coachella needed was Radiohead again. I'm a fan but way too soon, Atoms For Peace would be a better argument as a miss.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

lol
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by zuma1986 View Post
    THEY JUST PLAYED 2 F'N YEARS AGO!!! For all the complaining about cycling acts the last thing Coachella needed was Radiohead again. I'm a fan but way too soon, Atoms For Peace would be a better argument as a miss.
    They will return and headline two nights in 2015 and Thom will DJ in the Yuma.

Smart:
    1-OutKast (a phenomenal way to begin the reunion)
    2-Neutral Milk Hotel (they would be idiots not to bring them there)
    3-Motorhead (because METAL!!!)
    4-The Replacements (see Neutral Milk Hotel)
    5-Queens of the Stone Age (No better time to bring them back to the festival than now)

Dumb:
    1-Skrillex/Zedd/Calvin Harris (seeing them all so high shows how much mainstream electronic music sucks)
    2-Foster the People (Literally everyone only knows one song by them and it's not even very good [see The Lumineers last year])
    3-AFI (never ever liked them)
    4-Beady Eye (The only way this set could have any worth anything is if someone chucks a bottle at Liam Gallagher's head)
    5-Pharrell Williams (Pharrell is pretty much only known for other people's songs)

Missed-
    Nine Inch Nails
    Pixies
    M.I.A.
    Tears For Fears
    Joey Bada$$