Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Default Re: True Detective

Do you think the yellow king-insanity thing is all related? Ladeoux, the guy who committed suicide, and Rust all being insane, I'm thinking it has to be something they have all seen or heard. I also think those devil catchers are going to have some sort of masonic geographic tie in. Like once they figure out which kids were actually taken by the yellow king it will be geographically in the shape of one of those demon catchers.

Flame at me bro!
    Last edited by Jordanp; 03-05-2014 at 11:02 PM.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    If it is the same lawnmower guy, how the fuck did Rust not notice the scars?
    did he have a beard?

EDIT: he did.

can't really see scars, but if you pause it at 1:16 when lawnmower man looks toward the car after the honk, you can kind of see something on the right side of his face.
    Last edited by icedKeg; 03-05-2014 at 11:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

The best yellow king theory!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X8zTSDFiI24

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

That article's a touch patronizing, but overall I agree. The mystery-solving and hidden clue stuff is great fun, but if that's your main attraction, I imagine you'll find the finale disappointing. There doesn't even seem to be much to solve at this point anyway. Time to just sit back and enjoy the remainder of the ride.

Well that was kinda disappointing
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

WTF? What about Marty's daughters drawings?

Red herring...
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Or the most bizarre coincidence of all time.

The last 10 minutes or so were kind of thunky, but other than that I was really satisfied by the finale.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Red herring...
    I still think his daughter was a victim at some point even if the show never addressed it. Those clues with the dolls and drawings were waaaay too obvious.

Overall, solid ending but I could see how the people who kept coming up with theories or expecting a twist would be disappointed.
    Last edited by TickleMeElmo; 03-10-2014 at 12:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanp View Post
    WTF? What about Marty's daughters drawings?
    The drawings were just indicative of troubles at home, gave an opportunity for Marty to demonstrate himself as shithead dad, as compared to the family man he deluded himself into believing he was.

Also, both daughters are DTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    The last 10 minutes or so were kind of thunky, but other than that I was really satisfied by the finale.
    I felt the same way. Seems a lot of people are disappointed but I'm not sure why. The whole Carcosa scene had such intensity, I think the episode was worth it for that alone.

After reading a slew of Pizzolato interviews from the past couple weeks I feel like a dumbass, he has made it a point to say that this story wasn't about the cult, the killer, or any twists... It's about Hart and Cohle. With that being said although there seemed to be a lot of loose ends with the murders, the cult, the ties with Tuttle, and even the reasoning for any of it the two protagonists found closure.

I was pleased by that.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    The drawings were just indicative of troubles at home, gave an opportunity for Marty to demonstrate himself as shithead dad, as compared to the family man he deluded himself into believing he was.

Also, both daughters are DTF.
    You're so fucking on it.

Also... Women detectives? Transportation System? Southern California Government?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4934094.html

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    After reading a slew of Pizzolato interviews from the past couple weeks I feel like a dumbass, he has made it a point to say that this story wasn't about the cult, the killer, or any twists... It's about Hart and Cohle. With that being said although there seemed to be a lot of loose ends with the murders, the cult, the ties with Tuttle, and even the reasoning for any of it the two protagonists found closure.

I was pleased by that.
    yeah i enjoyed the show without reading any articles or trying to play detective myself. i liked the character development and enjoyed the finale.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    I felt the same way. Seems a lot of people are disappointed but I'm not sure why. The whole Carcosa scene had such intensity, I think the episode was worth it for that alone.
    Yeah I never really thought some big twist was coming. If there was one complaint I had during that Carcosa scene it was how Errol's voice was piped into the place like it was a carnival ride...maybe that was one of Rust's hallucinations and I missed it but otherwise that was a little cartoon-y.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Excuse me while I think out loud. I watched the finale last night and thought about it the rest of the evening--even had a dream about it--and still this morning I haven't quite figured out if it loved it or hated it, but I think I'm headed to the "love".

The things that initially bothered me when I finished watching the finale--the countless loose strings, the lack of interest in the lives of any of the victims (living and dead), the disinterest in the origins of this freakish crime family, the lack of any explanation of how Errol and his family got started on the Yellow King/Carcosa mythology, the symbolic "clues" (which Pizzolato, rather disingenuously, I think, argues are just us seeing what we want to see), the deliberately deceptive motifs with Marty's daughter (especially the crown)--all started to feel like lazy writing. I started to wonder if Pizzolato's writing--in terms of plot development--had always been elevated by McConaughey and Harrelson's remarkable performances and Cary Fukunaga's superb direction and whether he would have benefited from having a small writing staff to support him.

But, the more that I've sat with this episode, the more I seem to think that it actually was the true fulfillment of what Pizzolato told us he was doing all along--using the conventions of a criminal procedure to explore the nature of storytelling and the stories we tell ourselves to get by--be it religion, mythology, nihilistic Rust-esque philosophy, masculine authority social structures etc. I know some people found it a bit hokey, but I loved the final scene between Rust and Marty. I thought both McCoonaughey and Harrelson were incredible in that last scene--my heart was in my throat. I suppose if there was a twist in this story, it was that Rust lived and actually wanted to stay alive.

I did not enjoy it because it did the whole Lost thing. A very interesting story that would rather focus on barely interesting characters. I didn't need a twist or giant conspiracy to come crashing down, but when all I walk away with is "oh the misanthrope isn't such a misanthrope anymore" I feel let down
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

The one thing that confused me is why Childress changed his accent multiple times.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Right, that's the whole point: plot was incidental to the aims of this series. Way too many people on the internet (and even professional television critics) were watching this series under the paradigm that they used for the heavily-plotted and foreshadowed Breaking Bad, which was entirely the wrong way to go about things here.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    The one thing that confused me is why Childress changed his accent multiple times.
    I think he was just mimicking James Mason's character in North by Northwest for fun, being that Phillip Vandamm is one of the more memorable villains in film history... Seems film in general was something Childress really enjoyed, did you see his DVD collection?

Yeah, he was mimicking what he saw on TV.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

It's all about episodes 4 and 5. Solid series but I wanted a few more things to be played out (namely Marty finding out about what happened to his daughter "the answer was right in front of me the whole time"). Those comparing this show to The Wire need to sit down and shut up.

That said, I am looking forward to the next story in this anthology buddy cop series.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Mitch, reiterating the point does not make the show better. The climax of the character arcs weren't that good. If there is gonna be a show about characters then the writing for the characters should be better than the writing for plot devices. This whole thing just comes off as shitty writing. He couldn't finish the big conspiracy story and he couldn't make the character arcs interesting.

Buddy cop series?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Mitch, reiterating the point does not make the show better. The climax of the character arcs weren't that good. If there is gonna be a show about characters then the writing for the characters should be better than the writing for plot devices. This whole thing just comes off as shitty writing. He couldn't finish the big conspiracy story and he couldn't make the character arcs interesting.
    I thought the thematic conclusion of the series was very satisfying, but I can see how individual mileage would vary. I loved what they did with Cohle's monologue at the end, moving him from a Nietzschean sense of despair to something more along the lines of later Camus (the focus on solidarity and the ultimate source of life's meaning being in the improbable, absurd attempt to do good). It moved us out of the nihilism/"illusion of a self" view of the world into something positive, albiet still grounded in the reality that, yes, we live in a world where unspeakable evil will continue on indefinitely.

I think the conspiracy thing was handled in a way that fits the film noir lineage well. The big bad gets his comeuppance, but the more insidious, powerful, and less transparent sources of evil go unpunished.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    From the Sepinwall/Pizzolatto interview:

Early in the episode, we see Errol come into the big house, "North by Northwest" is playing and he starts doing a James Mason voice. Then he slips into a number of other accents. What was behind that?

Nic Pizzolatto: That was part of his creation as a character. There was this idea that when he talks in his real voice, it's very slurred because of the scarring. My background for him was that he learned how to enunciate properly through watching all these old VCR movies. And that brings us back to the idea of storytelling, right? At one minute he can affect this Andy Griffith good ol' boy voice, the next he can sound like James Mason, and when he wants to use his real voice, he sounds like something wounded and damaged.

Thought the finale was really good. The Carcosa scene was extremely tense and the lawnmower man was super creepy.

Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.