Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Default Re: True Detective

Man you guys suck at this. He has already said he is suspicious of the task force that was trying to be brought in. The dude said yellow king is a powerful guy or has powerful friends or whatever. All signs point to that one religious governor fuck head. I hope I am wrong, but that is a pretty obvious twist sort of culprit.

hopefully mitch is right
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Man you guys suck at this. He has already said he is suspicious of the task force that was trying to be brought in. The dude said yellow king is a powerful guy or has powerful friends or whatever. All signs point to that one religious governor fuck head. I hope I am wrong, but that is a pretty obvious twist sort of culprit.

hopefully mitch is right
    It's probably somebody like that. It goes along with what Marty says about the detective's curse, the answer is right under your nose.

Also somebody in some article pointed out this interesting tidbit. Since Cohle has been drinking during a majority of the interview, technically his words are inadmissable in court.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Not from getting hit in the back, he wasn't.
    She was hit in the back, head, face, arms, hands when her ex boyfriend went crazy.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

This thread is getting awkward.
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

One of the things I am really starting to appreciate with shows like this and House of Cards is the no name supporting cast of actors who are so good at what they do. I've really been paying attention to the acting on these shows and have been blown away by their performances. Not sure the characters name, but the inmate that Rust interrogated in ep 5 was fucking great. No clue who he is but his performance for such a small road was excellent. The big guy who met Rust and Ginger at the bar... for that 2 minutes that that guy was on screen I was drawn in. Top notch!!!
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    She was hit in the back, head, face, arms, hands when her ex boyfriend went crazy.
    Well, the shots in the back, arms, and hands weren't what killed her. Moving on 'cause you weren't there watching her get hit.

Show just keeps getting better. Didn't the writer say in an interview posted in here a while back that this last ep (5, right?) is his favorite?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Show just keeps getting better. Didn't the writer say in an interview posted in here a while back that this last ep (5, right?) is his favorite?
    That is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanp View Post
    it wont be.
    I hope not. I feel that the psychological thriller, blackout insomnia, multiple personality type ending is a weak ending for the show.
    I'm pretty interested in seeing the upcoming altercation between Rust and Marty as well. Though it seems they had a falling out, they still have each other's back in the present interrogations. Keeps me wondering if they had spoken while Rust was "off the grid" for so long.

What was up with the all those dream catcher things in the abandoned school? I don't get it. Does he live there or is it just someone from corcosa who lives there?
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Oh for Christ's sake, of course he's not the killer. He doesn't trust the powers that be so he went off the grid in search of the real killer. Fuckheads.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

What was up with the all those dream catcher things in the abandoned school? I don't get it. Does he live there or is it just someone from corcosa who lives there?
    Fuck off and die
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Wow, you guys are really touchy about this show. Chill out.

I am more so annoyed how stupid and inattentive you all are

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Fuck off and die
    I'm sorry it was an honest question I've been following this show pretty closely and i couldn't figure out that one scene. I know he interviewed the gardener there awhile back when they found out about ladoux but i forgot why he went there in the first place. i can follow the show elsewhere i just couldn't figure out what that was all supposed to mean.
    Any opinions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Jordanp; 02-19-2014 at 12:43 PM.

I'm sorry it was an honest queston ive been following this show really close and i couldnt figure out that one scene i know he interviewed the gardner there awhle back when they found out about ladouc but i forgot why he went there in the first place. i can follow the show elsewhere i just couldnt figure out if that was some sort of symbolism.
    Any opinions would be appreciated.
    I can't remember exactly why he went back but I'm more confused about the computer files Cohle pulled up that were all marked as "made in error" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    I can't remember exactly why he went back but I'm more confused about the computer files Cohle pulled up that were all marked as "made in error" or something like that.
    I believe they were found once he suspected foul play by the higher ups and began to dig deeper. Thus finding all of the suspicious "made in error" files.

Man i was unfortunately really underwhelmed by tonights episode. Hopefully it finishes strong the next 2 episodes.

Man i was unfortunately really underwhelmed by tonights episode. Hopefully it finishes strong the next 2 episodes.
    Do you think the whole thing is going to be resolved at the end of the season? The whole show in an 8 episode blaze of glory?
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

I thought it was the best episode yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldorrr View Post
    Do you think the whole thing is going to be resolved at the end of the season? The whole show in an 8 episode blaze of glory?
    Yes. Because that's a fact.
    9/27 - Simian Mobile Disco - Mezzanine
    10/2 - Elton John - SAP Center
    10/3-10/5 - Hardly Strictly Bluegrass - GGP
    10/4 - DJ Shadow + Cut Chemist - Mezzanine
    10/6 - Kasabian + Bo Ningen - Fox
    10/21 - Melvins + Le Butcherettes - GAMH
    11/1 - Hard Day of the Dead - Fairplex
    4/17-4/19 - Coachella weekend 2

Quote Originally Posted by clleadz View Post
    Yes. Because that's a fact.
    Good to know!
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldorrr View Post
    It's a anthology series, so yes, this story wraps up in two episodes.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Damn, just realized that True Detective's director, Cary Fukunaga, is the same guy who did Sin Nombre a couple years back. That was of a hell of a movie, for anyone that hasn't seen it I highly recommend it. Very bleak and thrilling, much like this series.

I finally got wise to this show and got caught up on all 6 eps this past week. What a beast. I don't think it's unfair to say this is the most ambitious series HBO has produced since The Wire. Those io9 and Daily Beast write ups are very helpful in beginning to decode the show's metaphysical philosophizing and its literary devices and allusions and to deepen my appreciation of a show I already find incredibly engrossing. But even if you don't give a toss about metafiction and obscure references, I like that you can still enjoy this show as an exceptionally entertaining hour of television.

While this show is clearly far more than a whodunit and while it is far too easy to fall down the rabbit hole of armchair investigating and speculation, I can't resist the fun of guessing who/what the Yellow King is. If I had to put money on it today, I'd say Marty. There are so many clues and suggestions littered throughout the show--his young daughters fighting over a crown, as a princess, or daughter of a king might; his killing of Ledoux before Ledoux can truly speak; his "crown" of yellow hair; his unwillingness to back Rust's desire to reopen the investigation in 2001/2002; the fact that he has experiencing hunting "stag", the kind that might have crowns of antlers like the ones found on the victims; the sexualization of his daughters (explicit drawings as a young kid, enacting a gang rape using toy figurines, fucking two boys in a car as an adult).

But, then that's just engaging in confirmation bias--favoring clues that support a Marty-is-the-Yellow-King hypothesis. And while Marty is a smart man, he doesn't seem particularly intellectual or philosophical as one would assume a mastermind behind such elaborately designed crime scenes might be. There are just as many clues that point to others like Tuttle and to the former Elvis "the King" sideburns reverend or even Marty's father-in-law. I do wonder if we're going to see Clarke Peters again. Peters, who played Det. Lester Freamon on The Wire and Albert Lambreaux on Treme, seems far too prominent an actor--especially in the HBO universe--to have such a seemingly irrelevant brief cameo as a minister in episode 1. Not suggesting he's the king, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a larger role in this investigation.
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 02-24-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Oh for fuck's sake Woody is not the goddamn killer.

Oh, I agree. You're right that it's probably ridiculous to even entertain that possibility. It's just fun to speculate, even if that isn't the point of this show and even if these clues lead nowhere. Again, you're right, it doesn't make sense for him to be the killer--if there even is just one killer. It's much more likely that all these symbols are pointing to the darkness in Marty's heart and the potential for violence in all men. Pizzolatto is playing with convention and using the detective/pulp/serial killer genre to clue us into something far more interesting than answering who the killer is.

Didn't really dig last night's episode. Having Marty's wife sleep with Cohle was way too typical.

9/11 Swans @ The Roxy
    9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

I dunno. As a plot device, it wasn't unexpected, you're right. Their connection--whether it was an attraction or not--was obvious from their first meeting at dinner in 1995, but I thought the way that scene played out was brilliant and I get the impression that the consequences of that night will go beyond the decade long estrangement between Marty and Rust.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Pizzolatto is playing with convention and using the detective/pulp/serial killer genre to clue us into something far more interesting than answering who the killer is.
    Exactly. I thought last night's episode was great. A lot of the events felt inevitable, and I love the way that show's structure keeps shifting as the various story lines converge and the action begins to move to the present day. I'll be curious to see if they continue to use flashbacks now that the core interviews have been completed and our two leads have been reunited.