Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Default Re: True Detective

Now that was an hour of television, kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

What? This was by far the weakest episode
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

It's probably the Michael Mann fan in me; I am on board for all of the man-on-the-job existentialism you chose to give me, but I also appreciate the action set pieces, thank you.

Best episode so far for me!

1. That single six-minute shot toward the end.
    2. I have no idea what is happening plot-wise anymore.
    4/17 - Mogwai - El Rey (?)
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

An article on that insane shot is already up here.

I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

It worked for me in exactly the way they intended it to, because I didn't even realize it was a oner until after the show ended.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I found it so interesting that I shared it around. I'm so glad that the show hasn't stepped off of the gas. The slow burn is turning in to a raging fire. I wonder if they'll slow it down in episode five before everything goes crazy in the last three episodes. I still think they'll have the case solved by episode six of seven, with the last episode focusing on the present day.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I watched the scene twice because I didn't realize it was a tracking shot until the first cut came. So much coordination for that shot. Must have been crazy to set up.

The series definitely stepped into another gear the past two episodes.

Cohle got up pretty quickly after getting hit with that bat...Drugs.

With all that big dick swagger you rollin I’d think you’d be able to spot crazy pussy

Maybe the best line of the show so far. Me and my girl laughed out loud, and it's true.

Here's a pretty extensive interview with Nic Pizzolatto.
    "This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption." - Malcolm Tucker

I spent yesterday catching up with the first three, and watched last night's episode today. All the praise this show is getting is well deserved. Fucking fantastic.

I'm usually pretty good with following a story, but what exactly happened on last night's episode. Like I know they followed a lead which led to Cohle having to go back to his undercover narcotics ways and see that biker dude to get closer to the prime suspect... But when they dressed up as cops and went on that mission, what was that for? How did they get ambushed by cops? Did Cohle set that up or did the cops happen to be following them and make a bust? Quick explanation please, anybody.

4/17 Pixies @ Pappy & Harriets
    4/26 Desert Daze @ Sunset Ranch Oasis
    5/26 Panda Bear @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium

So what's going on is that their main suspect in the homicide, Reggie Ledoux, is cooking drugs entirely and only for this biker gang out of Texas. Cohle is familiar with the bike gang and particularly with Ginger, who he knew from his undercover days in Texas, but who thinks he had died in a shootout a few years earlier. Cohle stole the drugs from the evidence room as a part of invented backstory to get Ginger to take him to Ledoux (the idea being that Cohle had disappeared to Mexico over the last few years, was in with Mexican cartel that had coke and was looking to exchange for meth back in the states). Ginger, being the white supremacist gangster that he is, decides that he wants to use Cohle as his fourth man for a poorly thought-out scheme to knock over a drug house in the ghetto under the pretense that Ginger and the other guys are cops. He tells Cohle that if he agrees to go along on his job, he will take him to Ledoux. Cohle agrees to go along, so he doesn't blow his cover, so he can get to Ledoux, and (probably most significantly) because he's addicted to the rush of the undercover experience.

Edit: the actual cops showed up after the shooting had started, I'm assuming on a report of shots fired. So you had fake cops in a gun fight with ghetto drug dealers, real cops responding to and continuing the gun fight, and an entirely different real cop (Cohle) avoiding detection from everyone and getting back to Marty before he gets shot or caught by the real cops. Cohle almost certainly would not have tipped off real cops because of all the insanely illegal stuff he was doing without permission from anyone, and with only Marty's knowledge. Also, hence 2012's Cohle's fake story about his estranged father dying of leukemia in Alaska.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 02-10-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Damn. Thanks for that. ^ I was so lost last night (although I'm still unclear on the fake father Alaska story).

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

He told the two detectives that he visited his father, but we saw what really went down. Stealing cocaine from the evidence locker is probably not something he wants to admit and of course everything else that followed.
    09,10,12w1,13w1

Ah, got it. Thanks.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    So what's going on is that their main suspect in the homicide, Reggie Ledoux, is cooking drugs entirely and only for this biker gang out of Texas. Cohle is familiar with the bike gang and particularly with Ginger, who he knew from his undercover days in Texas, but who thinks he had died in a shootout a few years earlier. Cohle stole the drugs from the evidence room as a part of invented backstory to get Ginger to take him to Ledoux (the idea being that Cohle had disappeared to Mexico over the last few years, was in with Mexican cartel that had coke and was looking to exchange for meth back in the states). Ginger, being the white supremacist gangster that he is, decides that he wants to use Cohle as his fourth man for a poorly thought-out scheme to knock over a drug house in the ghetto under the pretense that Ginger and the other guys are cops. He tells Cohle that if he agrees to go along on his job, he will take him to Ledoux. Cohle agrees to go along, so he doesn't blow his cover, so he can get to Ledoux, and (probably most significantly) because he's addicted to the rush of the undercover experience.

Edit: the actual cops showed up after the shooting had started, I'm assuming on a report of shots fired. So you had fake cops in a gun fight with ghetto drug dealers, real cops responding to and continuing the gun fight, and an entirely different real cop (Cohle) avoiding detection from everyone and getting back to Marty before he gets shot or caught by the real cops. Cohle almost certainly would not have tipped off real cops because of all the insanely illegal stuff he was doing without permission from anyone, and with only Marty's knowledge. Also, hence 2012's Cohle's fake story about his estranged father dying of leukemia in Alaska.
    Got it. Thanks! So at the end of the episode, Cohle's cover is blown and Ginger knows he's a detective right? Shall make for an interesting next episode.

I also can't wait until they apprehend Ledoux... From that shot of him at the end of episode 3, with the bloody machete , only in his underwear, with a gas mask on... He looks fucking scary. And didn't the file on him say he's 6' 7''? Fuck. I'm sure they'll find lots of insane stuff at his hideout.

I would think Ginger would know they're detectives at this point, though he's probably confused as to why they're kidnapping and beating him, and demanding the location of Ledoux instead of arresting him when the other police swarmed the scene.

Noteable: whatever happens, the existence of Ginger and all of the above in relation to the case seem unknown to the 2012 detectives looking at the case. So in addition to catching Ledoux, the show will also have to get rid of Ginger and invent a story for Hart and Cohle finding Ledoux's location without him.

I would think Ginger would know they're detectives at this point, though he's probably confused as to why they're kidnapping and beating him, and demanding the location of Ledoux instead of arresting him when the other police swarmed the scene.

Noteable: whatever happens, the existence of Ginger and all of the above in relation to the case seem unknown to the 2012 detectives looking at the case. So in addition to catching Ledoux, the show will also have to get rid of Ginger and invent a story for Hart and Cohle finding Ledoux's location without him.
    Ginger definitely knows that Cohle is undercover, because he kept saying "I knew it" to Cohle as Cohle was beating on him.

I just hope there isn't an M. Night-esque ending in all of this.
    April: Weekend 1
    May: I Break Horses, Armin Van Buuren, Gesaffelstein
    June: Low End Theory Festival, World Cup in Brazil - USA vs. Portugal

Well there probably will be. Anyone have ideas why they are focusing on McConaheys character in 2012? Has Woody been informed of the new murder?
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by jgafs View Post
    Cohle got up pretty quickly after getting hit with that bat...Drugs.
    Getting hit in the back with a bat doesn't really hurt that much. I say that more as a warning to people who think bats are perfect defensive tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Well there probably will be. Anyone have ideas why they are focusing on McConaheys character in 2012? Has Woody been informed of the new murder?
    Yes he was informed of the new murder, because he asked about it and they showed him the file. The picture from the file looked like a lady was suspended from a bridge with similar antler crown. I think they are talking to him because he is a person of interest in the new murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    Yes he was informed of the new murder, because he asked about it and they showed him the file. The picture from the file looked like a lady was suspended from a bridge with similar antler crown. I think they are talking to him because he is a person of interest in the new murder.
    I don't believe Woody has been shown anything as of yet. Maybe some sort of connection to the latest victim? Maggie or his daughters????

Anyone else dig Woody's Pink Floyd tshirt? Maybe some Division Bell significance?
    April: Weekend 1
    May: I Break Horses, Armin Van Buuren, Gesaffelstein
    June: Low End Theory Festival, World Cup in Brazil - USA vs. Portugal

My guess is that 2012 Hart is probably still a detective or in another law enforcement job of some capacity, just from the context of his dress and demeanor in the interviews. Aside from the trailer for next week, I don't think we have a tremendous amount of context for why they think 2012 Cohle could be involved in the new murder, or even what 2012 Cohle is up to besides alcoholism and philosophy.

Edit: I looked it up, and in the first episode, Hart indicates that he's now in private security.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 02-11-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Ginger isn't going to take Cohle to Ledoux - I thought Cohle's plan of the Mexican drug swap was to cut Ledoux out of the biker trade and presumably try and find more out about him on the way

edit: I don't think this anymore. his plan was to set up bikers trading meth for the mexican cocaine
    Last edited by clleadz; 02-11-2014 at 02:34 PM.
    ? - Xiu Xiu - Bottom of the Hill
    4/6 - Gary Numan - Fillmore
    4/10-13 - Coachella - Indio
    4/28 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion - GAMH
    5/8 - Acid Mothers Temple - Bottom of the Hill
    5/30-6/1 - Bottlerocket - Napa
    7/2 - Deafhaven - GAMH
    7/7 - Nick Cave - Warfield
    8/10-8/12 - Outside Lands
    8/24 - NIN, Soundgarden and Death Grips - Shoreline

My guess is that 2012 Hart is probably still a detective or in another law enforcement job of some capacity, just from the context of his dress and demeanor in the interviews. Aside from the trailer for next week, I don't think we have a tremendous amount of context for why they think 2012 Cohle could be involved in the new murder, or even what 2012 Cohle is up to besides alcoholism and philosophy.

Edit: I looked it up, and in the first episode, Hart indicates that he's now in private security.
    Isn't Cohle a bartender now? Or maybe he's a bouncer for the bar...

I also wondered if someone tipped them off though because in the last episode the helicopter was following them. And when Hart was listening to the CB radio.... Super nervous about what Cohle was doing. Maybe Hart got on the radio and tipped them off. Haha idk

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

finally some excitement!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.