Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying tickets off Stubhub

Lurker

Question Buying tickets off Stubhub

Hey everyone. I read a few old threads on this topic but I am still a bit confused so maybe some of you can help me?
    I posted my first thread last week with a few other questions so thank you to those that helped me there.

Anyways, my name is Stefan and I live in South Florida. My family and I are really considering taking a trip to Cali so my sister & I can attend weekend 2. The problem is that I didn't buy my festival tickets when they first went on sale due to financial issues. Since the tickets first went on sale, I have been saving up as much money as I can in hopes of buying a ticket closer to coachella off StubHub.

I read on here that StubHub is probably my best source for a general admission ticket/wristband. I read that some people have had good experiences with buying tickets from them so if you are someone who has bought Coachella tickets from StubHub in the past, please tell me how the whole process works.
    Now for my questions: How many months before the festival did you purchase your ticket? When did you receive your wristband? How did you know you weren't being scammed? How did registration go regarding your wristband?

StubHub tells me that I'll receive my wristband/ticket on April 11 by UPS for weekend two. Is that because the wristbands aren't distributed till March? How exactly does this whole situation work?

I know that StubHub offers a complete refund if scammed but how would I know if I'm scammed before I get to California for the festival? I don't want to show up and then be refused entry.

Thank you to anyone that offers me advice and answers my questions

PS- Do you think it would be safer to purchase a ticket from someone on here closer to April and have them ship me the wristband(s) once they receive it? I figured this may work better because I would be able to physically contact the seller whether its through here or over the phone. Smart idea or no?
    Last edited by thenameisstefan; 01-20-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Default Re: Buying tickets off Stubhub

I bought my wristband on stubhub in February last year. The original buyer sells and sends their ticket or whatever to stubhub, and then stubhub sends it to you. You get an estimated date of shipping, which is not very fun to endure. They can't ship it to you until they have it from the person selling it to them. But I received the package soon after the people who bought theirs directly did, and registered the wristband online with my name on the coachella site. I had no problem at the fest whatsoever

Honestly you shouldn't feel too worried about stubhub. You can try to register your wristband online and if it has been registered to someone elses name, you need to call stubhub and get a refund. The bands have a unique code that you can register with the coachella site. Once you get your package from stubhub you can check if yours is registered, and put your own name on it.

The very worst that can happen with StubHub's guarantee is that you'll be stuck in Palm Springs without a wristband, but with your money refunded.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by mikef1 View Post
    I bought my wristband on stubhub in February last year. The original buyer sells and sends their ticket or whatever to stubhub, and then stubhub sends it to you. You get an estimated date of shipping, which is not very fun to endure. They can't ship it to you until they have it from the person selling it to them. But I received the package soon after the people who bought theirs directly did, and registered the wristband online with my name on the coachella site. I had no problem at the fest whatsoever

Honestly you shouldn't feel too worried about stubhub. You can try to register your wristband online and if it has been registered to someone elses name, you need to call stubhub and get a refund. The bands have a unique code that you can register with the coachella site. Once you get your package from stubhub you can check if yours is registered, and put your own name on it.
    Did you actually receive your wristband by the estimated date StubHub offered? OR was it a earlier/later? I assume there is a section on the Coachella website that says "register wristbands" closer to the event? Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by thenameisstefan View Post
    How many months before the festival did you purchase your ticket?
    1 month before last year weekend 2

When did you receive your wristband?
    10 days before the concert

How did you know you weren't being scammed?
    Stubhub is legit and like you said you get your money back if something goes wrong

How did registration go regarding your wristband?
    only way to find out if your ticket is a scam is if you cant register it. mine was able to register so I knew it was legit.

as for your last question is best to do it on stubhub, buying it off from someone here is too risky especially if you asked them to ship it to you, the person who ships it to you can easily disappear from this site and/or give you a fake contact info. only reason you would buy it off this site is if you plan to meet in person.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by jolt1030 View Post
    1 month before last year weekend 2

10 days before the concert

Stubhub is legit and like you said you get your money back if something goes wrong

only way to find out if your ticket is a scam is if you cant register it. mine was able to register so I knew it was legit.

as for your last question is best to do it on stubhub, buying it off from someone here is too risky especially if you asked them to ship it to you, the person who ships it to you can easily disappear from this site and/or give you a fake contact info. only reason you would buy it off this site is if you plan to meet in person.
    WOW! Thank you so much hahah. How much did you pay for your ticket a month before?

I got the ticket on Thursday 4/4/13 for week 2

Lurker

I got the ticket on Thursday 4/4/13 for week 2
    Was that the estimated delivery date StubHub told you or was it earlier?

The estimate was Tuesday 4/16

The original buyer sells and sends their ticket or whatever to stubhub, and then stubhub sends it to you. You get an estimated date of shipping, which is not very fun to endure. They can't ship it to you until they have it from the person selling it to them. But I received the package soon after the people who bought theirs directly did, and registered the wristband online with my name on the coachella site. I had no problem at the fest whatsoever
    That's not how StubHub works. When the seller lists the wristbands for sale, they must state a date by when they will ship the wristbands. Then, once the sale happens, the seller has until that date to ship them. StubHub provides a 2-day air UPS label to the seller to ship the wristbands directly to the buyer, not to StubHub. Once the UPS tracking number confirms to StubHub that the shipment has been received by the buyer, they release funds to the seller.

9/25 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 9/27 How to Dress Well, 9/28 The War on Drugs, 10/1 Jenny Lewis, 10/3 & 10/5 ACL W1, 10/10 CHVRCHES, 10/11 Spoon, 10/12 ACL W2, 10/13 Paul McCartney, 10/16 Rodrigo y Gabriela, 10/18 twenty one pilots, 10/19 Erasure, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/12 Tedeschi Trucks Band, 11/19 Chrissie Hynde, 11/23 Caribou, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent

StubHub tells me that I'll receive my wristband/ticket on April 11 by UPS for weekend two. Is that because the wristbands aren't distributed till March? How exactly does this whole situation work?
    You will get your wristbands before April 11. The seller wants their money so they will ship them as soon as they receive them from Coachella. The date is just a final deadline for the seller.

9/25 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 9/27 How to Dress Well, 9/28 The War on Drugs, 10/1 Jenny Lewis, 10/3 & 10/5 ACL W1, 10/10 CHVRCHES, 10/11 Spoon, 10/12 ACL W2, 10/13 Paul McCartney, 10/16 Rodrigo y Gabriela, 10/18 twenty one pilots, 10/19 Erasure, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/12 Tedeschi Trucks Band, 11/19 Chrissie Hynde, 11/23 Caribou, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by jolt1030 View Post
    only way to find out if your ticket is a scam is if you cant register
    false. you won't know until you are walking in the festival and it scans. if it does not scan as valid, customer service at the festival is looking for the original buyer and can't help a 3rd party.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Does anyone know if Stubhub will eventually differentiate passes that actually come with car camping?

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    false. you won't know until you are walking in the festival and it scans. if it does not scan as valid, customer service at the festival is looking for the original buyer and can't help a 3rd party.
    What if the code lets you register the wristband under your name before the festival? Don't the wristbands come with a registration code that can only be used once for registration? Is it possible to register the same wristband with the same code multiple times?
    Last edited by thenameisstefan; 01-20-2014 at 06:52 PM.

From Forbes:
    " While fraud doesn't make up a big percentage of overall transactions transactions (less than 1%), it can generally eat away at customer satisfaction and, by extension, business.

Word of warning to would-be scammers: if you’re thinking of selling a bogus ticket, there’s a good chance StubHub will find you. In March of 2010, StubHub’s Trust & Safety chief, Robert Capps, got a bunch of statisticians together to develop a model that would signal red flags for fraud alerts. “We locked them in a room for weeks and told them to come up with something,” Capps told an audience at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston. Indeed, teams and sponsors arent’ the only ones in the sports industry using advanced mertrics. Ticket brokers find them useful, too.

Drilling as far down the ticket buying game as possible, the StubHub crew came up with enough useful nuggets to reduce phony transactions by over 30% since 2010, according to Capps. Some of the indicators they came up with: the time and place of an event (it’s more unusual in some markets than in others to list a ticket very shortly before game time, so when it does happen - red flag). Also: game location vs. ticket seller’s location (is a guy in Michigan selling a Dallas Cowboys ticket with a credit card based in California?). Then there are the more intuitive things: juniior using the parents login ID or and credit card, or those no-harm-intended orders when buyers reneg based on remorse (or – husband buys tickets to the game, wife says you’ll go ahead with payment over my dead body).

Basically, if you’ve got an online ticket scheme in mind, there’s a good chance StubHub will find it. Its business depends on keeping the scalping business on the web clean."

Also, make sure that if there is a option you have to sign to accept delivery. This article makes me think getting tickets a little earlier is better with Stubhub, and getting them from someone in California but I don't think you have that option.

On the other hand, there is also this guy's comment on another site, "StubHub sale is contingent upon the seller's electing to fill the order. From what I can tell, after the order is paid for the seller can cancel a sale for any reason, legitimate or not, and the buyer is screwed." I don't know if this is true, but it probably is. Between your sending money and the tickets being sent, the seller can change their mind.

On the other hand, depending on where you get your tickets from, I'm in Southern California, there are a lot of people around that you can meet in person and then you just have to use your judgement about whether or not they are scamming you or just trying to get rid of tickets. Probably better to meet someone in person, check out their FB or some such. I'm still not decided myself...
    Last edited by ANDITWASSUMMER; 01-20-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Trust stub hub and only them if buying non direct.

They will not let sellers cheat u and get away with it
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

You get what you pay for. Yeah, it's legit and they'll have your back but they take a huge chunk of money out of both the seller and buyers.
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

last year friend bought off stub hub few weeks before week 1, had shipped to house in Indio. no problems

I bought 3 super bowl tickets from them ...not one issue at all.

I'd rather pay a few extra $ and make sure I got my ticket. Stubhub has such a system that if they hose over a person they can't get away with it. They now even have an offsite set up just for Coachella.

Anyone who buys from ebay has only 45 days to make a claim on tickets. Meaning if it's bought today (Jan 2014) you can't even get your money back if someone fakes you out.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Lurker

Thank you all so much. I now feel a bit safer with purchasing from StubHub. Should I purchase my ticket as soon as I gather all my funds for it, or should I wait till next month/March? Will prices really drop? Some people say yes but I read on another thread from a few years ago that prices will just keep increasing.

Also, Baily what do you mean by "They now have an offsite set up just for Coachella" What exactly is this?

Thanks again

Stubhub bought passed just to give out to people that get scammed to reinforce they are the best option. Prices always drop towards the end people don't want to eat the cost of something they don't go to.
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

Lurker

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thank you

PS- I just noticed tickets have already began to drop a bit for weekend 2. Yesterday the cheapest ticket on there was $544 and now the cheapest is $500
    Last edited by thenameisstefan; 01-21-2014 at 05:20 PM.

What if the code lets you register the wristband under your name before the festival? Don't the wristbands come with a registration code that can only be used once for registration? Is it possible to register the same wristband with the same code multiple times?
    even if you register it, if you have any problems with it not scanning in (deactivated... etc) there is only customer service for the original purchaser. it is warned on the website.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Bottom-line: Even if Stubhub makes a fraudulent purchase right, there is no customer service for accidents or malfunction after the fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Should I purchase my ticket as soon as I gather all my funds for it, or should I wait till next month/March? Will prices really drop? Some people say yes but I read on another thread from a few years ago that prices will just keep increasing.
    No one has a solid answer for you on this front, but it's probably a safe bet to say, at the very least, that prices will not drop as much this year as they did in 2013. That was a lineup that disappointed a lot of people, this year's lineup has a lot more big name acts and will satisfy a larger quotient of the Coachella ticket holders.

Lurker

BUMP:

I noticed today on StubHub that someone is selling 2 tickets to weekend 2 for $500 each and the scheduled delivery date to get the tickets is February 21st. Is this even possible since wristbands aren't delivered until March? Is this person a scam? All the other sellers have estimated delivery dates in the beginning of April which makes more sense.

I only used them once in 2010 when you bought tickets and picked up wristbands on site. The tickets I bought from them, we were told, were sold by the seller to someone else offline.. so stubhub sent us new tickets and we got our wristbands no problem.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by richiedigs View Post
    I only used them once in 2010 when you bought tickets and picked up wristbands on site. The tickets I bought from them, we were told, were sold by the seller to someone else offline.. so stubhub sent us new tickets and we got our wristbands no problem.
    How long before the concert did you receive your wristbands?

Lurker

BUMP:

Quick question, I should be buying my ticket off of StubHub sometime next week for weekend 1.
    Some tickets have an estimated delivery date of April 4th, whereas, other tickets have estimated delivery dates of April 8th-10th. I am flying out from Florida on the 10th so I don't think I should buy a ticket with the 10th as the estimated delivery date, right? What date sounds the most reasonable? I feel like the tickets with April 4th as the estimated delivery date are maybe a scam? When do you think weekend 1 tickets will start arriving to people that bought from FrontGate?

Thanks in advance

LA, Southern California fool-the west coast.

Tix are shipped around mid march, arrival date varies based on where you are in the country.

Frontgate (where tickets are shipped from) is in Austin, TX. It's a complete crapshoot on the delivery date, but so is buying coachella tickets on stubhub.