Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

  1. #1

    Default For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    Up until recently, I was one of you. I bought my pass at the pre-sale, thinking that I would be able to collect a car camping pass quite easily. Obviously we were all wrong, and there are tons of people out there that are scrambling to find car camping right now. I was even considering buying a complete extra ticket w/camping pass, just to obtain a camping pass... crazy expensive and just down right inefficient. If you are also like me, you are frantically checking for near by lodging, but you are finding out that it's balls expensive and just completely un-affordable...

    Here is the good news... RV CAMPING!!!

    Coachella has a list of local RV camping communities that you should look at, the closest of which is only 3 miles away from the venue! That's a 15 minutes bike ride, or an extremely cheap cab ride into the festival. Now I know what you are saying.... *insert lame excuse about how car camping is the most epic experience EVARRRRR*... false.

    This will be my 5th year going to Coachella, and I've car camped it every time. Every year I was successfully able to up my game, and make the car camping experience slightly better than the year prior. Then the sand storm happened last year, and when I woke up on Monday morning, I literally had a sandbox in my mouth... Not pleasant at all. Car camping is a great way to experience Coachella, but like everything, there is a ceiling that eventually prevents you from upping your experience each year. So I write to all you people freaking out about what to do without a car camping pass, to encourage you to research renting an RV, and planting yourself in an RV community with other experienced Coachella vets.

    I hope someone out there takes this advice and runs with it.

  2. #2

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    Quote Originally Posted by joseph.osborne.88 View Post
    Up until recently, I was one of you. I bought my pass at the pre-sale, thinking that I would be able to collect a car camping pass quite easily. Obviously we were all wrong, and there are tons of people out there that are scrambling to find car camping right now. I was even considering buying a complete extra ticket w/camping pass, just to obtain a camping pass... crazy expensive and just down right inefficient. If you are also like me, you are frantically checking for near by lodging, but you are finding out that it's balls expensive and just completely un-affordable...

    Here is the good news... RV CAMPING!!!

    Coachella has a list of local RV camping communities that you should look at, the closest of which is only 3 miles away from the venue! That's a 15 minutes bike ride, or an extremely cheap cab ride into the festival. Now I know what you are saying.... *insert lame excuse about how car camping is the most epic experience EVARRRRR*... false.

    This will be my 5th year going to Coachella, and I've car camped it every time. Every year I was successfully able to up my game, and make the car camping experience slightly better than the year prior. Then the sand storm happened last year, and when I woke up on Monday morning, I literally had a sandbox in my mouth... Not pleasant at all. Car camping is a great way to experience Coachella, but like everything, there is a ceiling that eventually prevents you from upping your experience each year. So I write to all you people freaking out about what to do without a car camping pass, to encourage you to research renting an RV, and planting yourself in an RV community with other experienced Coachella vets.

    I hope someone out there takes this advice and runs with it.
    Excellent point. Everyone knows that the sandstorm rose from the VIP tents next to the main stage and didn't stop until they got to the Sahara tent. There is zero chance one would hit an RV park three miles away. Wind very rarely travels more than 100 yards.

    Also, a bandana is impossible to find and wear in times like those.

  3. #3
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,154

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    Have you researched how much an rv rental costs? Pretty much comparable to a hotel room out there. We stay in one backstage every year and it is at least a grand for 4 days, plus gas to and from the rental place, possibly dump fees for the tanks, etc.

  4. #4
    Member baily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    1,926

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Have you researched how much an rv rental costs? Pretty much comparable to a hotel room out there. We stay in one backstage every year and it is at least a grand for 4 days, plus gas to and from the rental place, possibly dump fees for the tanks, etc.
    fool please

    Look on Coachella's site for camping...they have one RV place that's about 100 per night...what you talking a grand 4 days....does your landlord look like this and say

    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

  5. #5
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,154

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    Talking about the rv itself, not the spot to keep it in.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 01-18-2014 at 09:15 AM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    Quote Originally Posted by prettyawfulperson View Post
    Excellent point. Everyone knows that the sandstorm rose from the VIP tents next to the main stage and didn't stop until they got to the Sahara tent. There is zero chance one would hit an RV park three miles away. Wind very rarely travels more than 100 yards.

    Also, a bandana is impossible to find and wear in times like those.
    My sarcasm detector just exploded. I had forgotten how quickly trolls jump on opinions.

  7. #7

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    Also, RV rates are inexpensive compared to lodging this late in the game from the research I've done. The people that are renting houses/hotels know how desperate we are for housing since camping is sold out.

    Just something to think about.

  8. #8
    Member euphonicfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pacific palisades, CA
    Posts
    550

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    2013 was the first time I have ever experienced a sand storm while at coachella... it also happened at the end of the day on Sunday.. I'll take my chances of another sand storm over RV prices.. IF one even happens again.
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

  9. #9
    old school CrimesceneCookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,993

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    I did the RV thing the year they offered V camping in 2010... it was kind of a pain in the ass, and altogether very expensive compared to a hotel unless you wanted a ghetto RV. Plus having to have the RV back monday morning wasn't ideal.
    On the plus side, not having any commute to and from the fest was good.

  10. #10

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    Quote Originally Posted by joseph.osborne.88 View Post
    My sarcasm detector just exploded. I had forgotten how quickly trolls jump on opinions.
    Just because you have an opinion, it doesn't mean it isn't incorrect. For instance, I could say the sky is orange. Just my opinion. Does that mean you shouldn't tell me how absurd it is? Of course not.

    So, again, I say, your "opinion" deserves to be called out on it's absurdity.

  11. #11
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,088

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Talking about the rv itself, not the spot to keep it in.
    I am completely ignorant on this topic. Can you enlighten me as to why it was so expensive? I have always wanted to do off-site RV camping, but not for that kind of money.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

  12. #12
    Cobra psychic friend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    valley girl
    Posts
    9,322

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    i'd like to point out that a few of the "offsite" camping places also have TENT camping. so you don't HAVE to rent an rv and rv camp if you went with one of the tent places..
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

  13. #13
    Member sk8r408's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,043

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    i'd like to point out that a few of the "offsite" camping places also have TENT camping. so you don't HAVE to rent an rv and rv camp if you went with one of the tent places..
    I've been camping at Lake Cahuilla during Coachella for the past 8 years. It's about 5-10 min from the fest. about $100 for the weekend (per site not person). It's a great option. We always tent camp. Party. Lots of info in this thread. http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...g-alterniative

  14. #14
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,154

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    I am completely ignorant on this topic. Can you enlighten me as to why it was so expensive? I have always wanted to do off-site RV camping, but not for that kind of money.
    We had a 26 or 28 foot one, believe it was around $200-$250/night, plus taxes, $40 started kit fee, mileage, dump fees if you have them empty the sink and toilet tanks(rental guy waived the $30 since I had to wait a bit during pickup of the rv), usually there is an hourly generator fee after a certain amount of usage(4 hours free per day if memory serves), luckily Goldenvoice was awesome and provided electrical hookups in the rv lot last year, though, so we were able to keep the ac going all day, never did have to start the generator. Can't forget about fuel, too. There is nothing economical when it comes to mpg in an rv. Overall, between the 5 of us I believe we paid around $250 each for the weekend, a little over $1200 total for 4 days.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 01-21-2014 at 03:14 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    Quote Originally Posted by joseph.osborne.88 View Post
    Up until recently, I was one of you. I bought my pass at the pre-sale, thinking that I would be able to collect a car camping pass quite easily. Obviously we were all wrong, and there are tons of people out there that are scrambling to find car camping right now. I was even considering buying a complete extra ticket w/camping pass, just to obtain a camping pass... crazy expensive and just down right inefficient. If you are also like me, you are frantically checking for near by lodging, but you are finding out that it's balls expensive and just completely un-affordable...

    Here is the good news... RV CAMPING!!!

    Coachella has a list of local RV camping communities that you should look at, the closest of which is only 3 miles away from the venue! That's a 15 minutes bike ride, or an extremely cheap cab ride into the festival. Now I know what you are saying.... *insert lame excuse about how car camping is the most epic experience EVARRRRR*... false.

    This will be my 5th year going to Coachella, and I've car camped it every time. Every year I was successfully able to up my game, and make the car camping experience slightly better than the year prior. Then the sand storm happened last year, and when I woke up on Monday morning, I literally had a sandbox in my mouth... Not pleasant at all. Car camping is a great way to experience Coachella, but like everything, there is a ceiling that eventually prevents you from upping your experience each year. So I write to all you people freaking out about what to do without a car camping pass, to encourage you to research renting an RV, and planting yourself in an RV community with other experienced Coachella vets.

    I hope someone out there takes this advice and runs with it.
    image.jpg
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

  16. #16

    Default Re: For all of those who are freaking out about car camping right now... Read this

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    We had a 26 or 28 foot one, believe it was around $200-$250/night, plus taxes, $40 started kit fee, mileage, dump fees if you have them empty the sink and toilet tanks(rental guy waived the $30 since I had to wait a bit during pickup of the rv), usually there is an hourly generator fee after a certain amount of usage(4 hours free per day if memory serves), luckily Goldenvoice was awesome and provided electrical hookups in the rv lot last year, though, so we were able to keep the ac going all day, never did have to start the generator. Can't forget about fuel, too. There is nothing economical when it comes to mpg in an rv. Overall, between the 5 of us I believe we paid around $250 each for the weekend, a little over $1200 total for 4 days.
    Those prices are exactly what I'm looking at renting from El Monte RV in So Cal... I'd be surprised if someone could show me lodging that is cheaper for 5 people and as close as we will be...

    Other than not being able to be super loud at night, this should be a top notch 'chella

Similar Threads

  1. I need 2 Camping tickets. Read please!!
    By sellvegas in forum Passes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM
  2. john freaking waters!
    By whynotsmile99 in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
  3. Roger freaking Waters!
    By wolverine in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 06:15 AM
  4. READ THIS PLEASE !
    By pandy_ib in forum Questions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 05:40 PM
  5. Read this
    By vinylmartyr in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •