Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2014

old school

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    lol Kanye just called off his European tour due to "technical difficulties" with the stage production. I wouldn't be surprised if he cancels his Fuji appearance by the looks of it.
    It's probably the arena stage giving him trouble and the festivals will remain.

Currently listening to the new (leaked) Mac DeMarco album, I'm really wanting to see him added.
    Saw him in Hong Kong during an all-too-short set. I'd love for him to play.

lol Kanye just called off his European tour due to "technical difficulties" with the stage production. I wouldn't be surprised if he cancels his Fuji appearance by the looks of it.
    It would please me immensely for this to happen. Even a second-rate headliner scrambled together at the last minute would be a better choice than Kanye. Don't mean to insult any Kanye fans out there, but he's just about the least-Fuji-like guy they could have gotten, and a massive prima donna to boot.

Deafheaven are touring Japan around mid-May, wonder if they'd come back for Fuji? They're playing just about every festival in the world lately, so they may be a possibility.
    Long lists of predicted artists for Splendour In The Grass '14 are popping up here: http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/forum...d.php?t=100850
    Generally SITG draws a lot more indie-pop, and US indie music than Fuji would probably enjoy but for any interested, it may have a few clues for Fuji.

Kanye West has indeed cancelled his performance! Gweilo, you'll be very happy to hear! Ahaha
    I am somewhat disappointed by his cancellation but almost equally excited as to see who will replace him. Smash will certainly be kicking themselves for booking him in the first place. They obviously went out on a whim booking someone like Kanye as a headliner, and now he cancels on them!?
    I'm crossing my fingers for Arcade Fire and/or Beck, but I dare say it really could be anyone...

As for replacements, there may also be the possibility of The Black Keys, QOTSA, Muse, Disclosure, Kings of Leon, Major Lazer, Drake, Pearl Jam, obviously Arcade Fire and Beck as previously mentioned. Some of those may not be right for Fuji but can anyone think of any other headliner possibilities?
    Neutral Milk Hotel and Soundgarden both have clashing dates that would prevent them.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by oh.kamikaze View Post
    As for replacements, there may also be the possibility of The Black Keys, QOTSA, Muse, Disclosure, Kings of Leon, Major Lazer, Drake, Pearl Jam, obviously Arcade Fire and Beck as previously mentioned. Some of those may not be right for Fuji but can anyone think of any other headliner possibilities?
    Neutral Milk Hotel and Soundgarden both have clashing dates that would prevent them.
    QOTSA cancelled on Fuji in 2011 to do those Vancouver/Gorge dates with Soundgarden.

Well they may well be a strong possibility then. They're playing a number of festivals and are free around late July. Other possibilities I didn't mention may be pet shop boys or blondie, but probably neither aha.
    Kaiser chiefs, Johnny marr and massive attack are all also busy

I should also suggest Coldplay as a possibility. I'm really not a big fan but they have a long history with Fuji and a new album coming out in May. They suddenly seem like the strongest possibility so far...

Kanye West has indeed cancelled his performance! Gweilo, you'll be very happy to hear! Ahaha
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Smash gets what they deserve for that dumb, dumb move.

As for replacements, there may also be the possibility of The Black Keys, QOTSA, Muse, Disclosure, Kings of Leon, Major Lazer, Drake, Pearl Jam, obviously Arcade Fire and Beck as previously mentioned.
    I don't think Beck, Disclosure or Major Lazer would be big enough for a headline spot, esp. the latter two. (This is assuming that there are still bigger options out there at this late juncture who aren't already booked.) I'm still holding out hope for Beck as a subheadliner though. What I would really want is Arcade Fire and The Black Keys. As Bumblebee noted, QOTSA canceled on Fuji in 2011, and that was actually the SECOND time. I'm not sure Smash will want to get burned a third, especially on the heels of getting dissed by another act. KOL, Muse and Drake -- please no. Pearl Jam -- maybe, but they seem to be focused on Europe for now.

There's the possibility of Morrissey. Not my thing, but he could be a popular choice. Then there's Jack White, if we want a Fuji that's just totally Jacked.

I should also suggest Coldplay as a possibility.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

They played Fuji in 2011. Let's hope that's too recent and that sane minds prevail.

old school

Not sure on the demographic fit, but Bruce & ESB haven't played Japan in over 25 years.

His touring plans beyond May seem to be up in the air, though some think more dates will come when reviews of the Us starting this week, ESB induction to the RRHOF and his RSD release all get some press mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    KOL, Muse and Drake -- please no.
    Ahaha man you must have good taste then. I was really just looking at who's headlining other festivals around the world this year, but yeah I would also hate to see any one of those three bands/person (can't really use 'artist') added. I also would hope it's always too soon to hear/see anything from/about Coldplay. I saw Morrissey a few years back and he put on a surprisingly good show. I wouldn't say it was a headline performance though, by any means. Jack White would be a pretty serious consideration, with a new album and having played Fuji multiple times with different bands, but as a headliner?
    The Black Keys are heavily rumoured to play Splendour In The Grass the same weekend, so I guess they're very possible. Anyway, here's hoping we get at least 1 headliner addition with this coming lineup release in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Not sure on the demographic fit, but Bruce & ESB haven't played Japan in over 25 years.
    I wouldn't complain about Bruce at all. He headlined a number of festivals in past years, playing huge sets with huge energy. He could definitely rock a headline spot at Fuji, I say.

He could definitely rock a headline spot at Fuji, I say.
    Considering they've had Roxy Music, Faces, John Fogerty, Paul Weller, Ray Davies, etc., why the hell not.

However, one fogey we won't be getting is Elton John. He's in Monaco that weekend. Of course he is.

I am somewhat disappointed by his cancellation but almost equally excited as to see who will replace him. Smash will certainly be kicking themselves for booking him in the first place. They obviously went out on a whim booking someone like Kanye as a headliner, and now he cancels on them!?
    I'm crossing my fingers for Arcade Fire and/or Beck, but I dare say it really could be anyone...
    Arcade Fire isnt going to do anything in between their break of the uk and summer legs, count them out.

Is that what they said? Shame. They're not my favorite, but I hear they put on a good show.

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Arcade Fire isnt going to do anything in between their break of the uk and summer legs, count them out.
    I'm also interested in this, where'd you hear/read that? I understand the tour is enormous and won't finish for months, but so far they've only got 1 date in July. Perhaps Arcade Fire won't happen...

Kanye West seems to be quite the jerk. Though I guess he's better than the Killers, who waited until I think like June to cancel their appearance. But then again, the Killers weren't a headlining act, which will be harder to replace. Headliners are negotiated months and months and months in advance.

My prediction for Kanye West's replacement is Franz Ferdinand or Damon Albarn.

Long lists of predicted artists for Splendour In The Grass '14 are popping up here: http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/forum...d.php?t=100850
    Outkast/Damon Albarn/Black Keys seems to be getting the most votes here as far as headliners go. Are there strong indications that those three acts are doing SITG? If that's true, then the Black Keys would have to be their Saturday headliner, so we can cross them off the list.

Speaking of festivals in this region that are held on the same weekend, the Korean festival that shares some acts with Fuji every year hasn't shown any sign of life so farů

Oh, and Summer Sonic announced their second headliner yesterday, and any hope you had of seeing Queen in Naeba just got dashed.

I'm really disappointed to see The Horrors at Summersonic, and not at Fuji. I also suspect The Black Keys will play SITG and skip out on Fuji, but you never know. Outkast are billed as a sub-headliner for Fuji, so theoretically they could play Friday night and headline SITG Saturday night. That way both festivals could share The Black Keys, but it could be a stretch of my imagination. As for Outkast, they're 99% certainly playing Splendour. As for Damon Albarn, Blur cancelled on a January / February tour of Australia at last minute in December, with Damon promising to return in some form soon, so I'd say he's also about 80% sure to play Splendour as a solo act. The Black Keys are getting heavy rotation on the national radio station (Triple J) that sponsors SITG (whose airplay often give really obvious clues as to who's going to play when all of a sudden 'Skaters' are played twice an hour, every day) so it seems they are quite likely. The other rumoured headliners for SITG include Jack White (new album soon), Franz Ferdinand (some are saying they'll sub-headline though), and most likely, Arctic Monkeys (touring in May, almost certainly coming back for a one-off headline slot).

As for the Jisan/Ansan Valley Rock Festival, I too was wondering whatever happened to it... I saw it mentioned in an article of the best festivals of Asia in 2014, but perhaps it won't be happening this year?

I know I say it for every announcement, but I really am looking forward to the next lineup release for Fuji. It will definitely be interesting to see who they've come up with, or if we'll have to wait another few weeks to possibly find out.

I'm sure everyone's seen the Glastonbury announcement. Could be a few clues deep in there, somewhere...
    I'd love to see De La Soul after Jurassic 5 killed it last year on the White Stage. I'd also love to see MGMT (especially after cancelling their album release stream last year), Tinariwen (seems perfect for Field of Heaven), Sun Ra Arkestra (would destroy the Orange Court), or Four Tet (genius, perfect for a late night Red Marquee slot).

Jack White can be ruled out as he's just announced an American tour all over July.

New announcement is up. Seems to be one of those announcements mostly meant to flesh out the Japanese lineup.

Really, really excited to see these guys. Their first album was one of my favorite releases of whatever year it came out on.

St Vincent, Jacques Greene, Yoko Ono, Ogre You Asshole, and the Heavy are all cool additions, but still no headliner additions...
    Anyway, 2 weeks waiting will be spent checking out these Japanese artists I've never heard of, which usually produces some very cool finds. I see Boris have a new album but have already announced dates in Europe in July - great shame!

This might give some indication of their Fuji show. I doubt they'll keep this to the White, but who knows.

Of course, they could be bumped to headliner....

There's probably nothing to it, but why does Outkast's official tour page make no mention of Fuji?

Then again, if this review is to be believed, we wouldn't be missing much.

I read a few very average reviews also. There definitely was a lot of hype around the Coachella performance so it was almost bound to disappoint some... I hope they aren't bumped to headliner though. I'd love to see someone a bit bigger headline.

There's a very decent chance that the next Fuji announcement (24th April) will coincide with the release of the Splendour In The Grass lineup (released basically on that day, if not the day before or week before, every year for the past few years). Fuji and Splendour have been increasingly cooperative in their lineups and bookings in previous years, perhaps Fuji has been holding back on certain artists also playing SITG as not to ruin SITG's surprises? Possibly not, but you never know...

There's a very decent chance that the next Fuji announcement (24th April) will coincide with the release of the Splendour In The Grass lineup (released basically on that day, if not the day before or week before, every year for the past few years). Fuji and Splendour have been increasingly cooperative in their lineups and bookings in previous years, perhaps Fuji has been holding back on certain artists also playing SITG as not to ruin SITG's surprises? Possibly not, but you never know...
    Sounds like you're right as SITG have announced that their lineup is coming out next Wednesday 23rd April