Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2014

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2014

Jack Johnson is confirmed for Sunday, while Basement Jaxx and John Butler Trio will be playing on Friday.
    Because I'm assuming Basement Jaxx is a White Stage headliner, given their placement on the poster and their Green Stage performance last time, I think it means Kanye's playing Saturday since I'm also assuming that Smash wouldn't put those two across from each other. But, stranger/ dumber things have happened.

Damon Albarn / Outkast / Lorde / 佐野元春 / ウルフルズ / ザ・クロマニヨンズ /
    TOKYO SKA PARADISE ORCHESTRA / Foster The People
    The Heartbreaks / Ásgeir / The Pains of Being Pure at Heart) / Jake Shimabukuro
    Jungle By Night / Hunter Hayes / Kelis / Inspector Clouseau

Holy shit, now I REALLY wished I booked a trip to Japan for this year fuck

OK, now I have no idea about the White headliner/ Green subheadliner thing.

I'm a little happier with this announcement. I'm also surprised Outkast isn't headlining (as it appears) -- not big enough in Japan? The door's still open for Arcade Fire, then (and Beck).

I missed Inspector Cluzo whenever they played last, and I heard they were fun. I guess they'll be this year's "playing all weekend" band. Asgeir's destined for the FOH, I'm sure. Pains could be mid-afternoon White. Lorde and Foster the People are probably getting Green. I'd put Kelis and The Heartbreaks on the Red.

I'm also fairly happy with this second lineup. It's proving to be a very diverse lineup this year, even for Fuji Rock. I figure Outkast will be billed as a sub-headliner on Friday, in order to fly out and get to Splendour In The Grass in Australia for a Sunday, or even Saturday night headline slot. I'm looking forward to Pains of Being Pure At Heart too!
    I also wonder what the possibilities now are for the final headliner... I guess Arcade Fire is definitely still likely, although I wouldn't rule out Pearl Jam. Both bands would work perfectly, I imagine. I can't really see Beck out-headlining the current sub-headliners, so I'd say Beck can be ruled out. I'm still looking forward to the rest of the lineup coming out. Two weeks never seems so long as it does when you're waiting for the next Fuji release!

Quote Originally Posted by oh.kamikaze View Post
    I can't really see Beck out-headlining the current sub-headliners, so I'd say Beck can be ruled out.
    I was thinking of him more as the final White headliner/ Green subheadliner. There's still hope!

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    OK, now I have no idea about the White headliner/ Green subheadliner thing.

I'm a little happier with this announcement. I'm also surprised Outkast isn't headlining (as it appears) -- not big enough in Japan? The door's still open for Arcade Fire, then (and Beck).

I missed Inspector Cluzo whenever they played last, and I heard they were fun. I guess they'll be this year's "playing all weekend" band. Asgeir's destined for the FOH, I'm sure. Pains could be mid-afternoon White. Lorde and Foster the People are probably getting Green. I'd put Kelis and The Heartbreaks on the Red.
    Only festival in the world this year where Outkast is billed under Yeezy, Jack Johnson, Damon Albarn, Franz Ferdinand, and Basement Jaxx

7/29 Conor Oberst @ Summerstage
    8/2 Daniele Baldelli/Simian Mobile Disco @ PS1
    8/2 Magda @ Output
    8/3 Seth Troxler/the Martinez Brothers @ Gov Island
    8/3 Seth Troxler @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Only festival in the world this year where Outkast is billed under Yeezy, Jack Johnson, Damon Albarn, Franz Ferdinand, and Basement Jaxx
    Outkast is lower than Kanye/Bruno Mars/Drake for Wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    I was about to say that Outkast are only billed under Kanye and Jack Johnson because the acts are all listed alphabetically within their tiers…until I realized that they aren't.

I suppose the headliners are ordered according to which dates they'll play, seeing as how we already know that Jack Johnson is Sunday. The question regarding the second-tiers acts is: would a Green sub-headliner be billed above a White headliner or vice versa? I personally think White headliner is a sweeter slot than Green sub because they get longer sets, but I'm also willing to bet that they wouldn't slot Damon Albarn at White. So Damon Albarn and FF would be a Green sub, while Manics and Outkast would headline the White Stage, with BJ possibly going either way. Unless they're re-introducing the Sunday closer, which would add another wrinkle to this exercise.

I'm probably expending way too much mental energy thinking about these things.

On a completely different note, I'd never heard of Jungle by Night before, but I am really, really liking this song:

I noticed yesterday that Kings of Leon are rumored to be headlining Lollapalooza, which is Aug 1-3. The latest tour date listed on their website so far is Belgium on July 6. That gives them plenty of time to make their way east across Asia.

<<shudders>>

I really, really hope Kings of Leon are not the final headliner. They seem more suited to a summersonic lineup, but do they even have a fan base in Japan? I could have sworn Japanese audience's had good taste?

I could have sworn Japanese audience's had good taste?
    This is the current top-selling single in Japan.

Wow...

They seem more suited to a summersonic lineup, but do they even have a fan base in Japan?
    They played Fuji in 2007. Not headlining, but still. Though I guess that was back before they completely sold out.

This is the current top-selling single in Japan.
    Is it just me, or is that audience almost completely male?

Glow-stick wielding males*

Third line-up release on the 27th March? Will it include either the third headliner, the possible 6th sub-headliner, both the third headliner and possible 6th sub-headliner, or no headliners and just a bunch of lower-tier bands? What does everyone predict?
    I say it's probably still a little early for the third headliner (might arrive mid-April), however we may see the possibility of another sub-headliner? I'm thinking a nice selection of day-time bands and small-stages bands will appear on the 27th also! Hopefully none of the aforementioned top-of-the-single-charts 'bands' we spoke about earlier.

Yeah, probably Thu or Fri. My guess is that they won't name the third headliner until mid-April or earl May. I think that's when they announced the Cure last year, but I can't exactly remember.

So, these guys are playing in the UK on Jul 20, with no later dates announced as of yet....

Hmm, I was thinking the Black Keys may be a possibility also, just yesterday after hearing their new single. They played Fuji in 2004 so I guess there's a possibility. Soon we'll see

Slowdive!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    Slowdive!
    Yep. Confirmed per their FB page.

old school

First time Phil Lesh plays to an audience not full of pot heads?

Yes! I'm also pumped to see Slowdive added! Cyril Hahn is also exciting to see added. I remember a couple of these kinds of very small lineup releases from previous years but I don't think ever so soon into the lineup releases. I wonder if they're holding back on big releases in order to create excitement, speculation, and draw out the process, or just because they don't have the final big name acts yet?

Also, anyone know of any good live music / other bands touring Japan around July that would be worthy of checking out while I'm in Japan?

Slowdive was the only band I was initially excited about from this batch, but now that I've consulted with YouTube, Barbarella's Bang Bang and White Lung both seem pretty rad. I'm putting them on my list of acts I want to see.

Also, anyone know of any good live music / other bands touring Japan around July that would be worthy of checking out while I'm in Japan?
    There's always a few bands that do some side shows in Tokyo right before or right after the festival, which could potentially help resolve some Fuji Rock conflicts. It worked out very nicely for me one year when I had to miss Yael Naim because she conflicted with someone else, but I got to see her a few days later at the Shibuya Club Quattro.

Oh, and it looks like Travis is Saturday.

Slowdive was the only band I was initially excited about from this batch, but now that I've consulted with YouTube, Barbarella's Bang Bang and White Lung both seem pretty rad. I'm putting them on my list of acts I want to see.
    Gypsy accordion music? To the Orange Court you go. They'll probably play the Mokudo Tei and Cafe de Paris, too. They're now my front-runner over Inspector Cluzo for the most performances award.

White Lung? Yes, please. I'm guessing a 12:40 Red Marquee slot.

So fucking cool White Lung is playing this. First time I saw them was 5 or 6 years ago in a small bar with basically no one there and they absolutely killed it. Now they are playing Fuji Rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Cheers for that. I'll have to just keep having a look on Google as it gets closer to the festival. I'm digging White Lung also, they should kill it live. Currently listening to the new (leaked) Mac DeMarco album, I'm really wanting to see him added. Don't know if that would ever happen considering he probably doesn't have a big fan base in Japan... He'll no doubt tour himself to death over summer throughout Europe and America anyway...

lol Kanye just called off his European tour due to "technical difficulties" with the stage production. I wouldn't be surprised if he cancels his Fuji appearance by the looks of it.