Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2014

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2014

Elektrotek - I don't really have a whole lot to add to what kamikaze and gweilo already said, except that lodging somewhere within walking distance is probably about a hundred times more preferable to staying at Echigo Yuzawa and commuting by shuttle bus everyday, which is a colossal pain in the ass by all accounts. Getting assistance from someone who speaks Japanese will probably make things a lot easier for you - most of these inns are small mom-and-pop type of operations, and I don't imagine they have many staff members who are fluent in English.

Quote Originally Posted by oh.kamikaze View Post
    Splendour in the Grass was announced just now. I'd say punters will be somewhat disappointed, especially after seeing all their rumours and hype-mills surrounding the internationals and headliners (almost none of which were announced except OutKast). Looks like they've spent all their funds on OutKast and skipped out on the meat-y part of the lineup...
    http://splendourinthegrass.com/

Anyway, as previously rumoured way back at the start of this thread, we may be seeing Lily Allen as the third headliner or 6th subheadliner. I don't think there are any other clues in there for Fuji, though. Interpol - probably not in Japan right? and Angus and Julia Stone - maybe, just maybe? They would at least fit with the Jack Johnson side of things, but probably aren't playing.
    Am I the only one who is having trouble seeing all the bands on the lineup page from that site? I got the full list on the "News" page, but it doesn't include the all-important information about which bands are playing which dates, which is what really matters to us.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see Lily Allen added to Fuji Rock, but a headlining slot would be a pretty big stretch IMO. A subheadliner? Maybe. As for Interpol, they've played Summer Sonic before so why not?

Yeah, I found the same problem with the lineup page. You actually could scroll across through each day and the bands down at the bottom of the page, but it was a stupid system that's meant to display the bands.
    I agree Lily Allen as a headliner is definitely a stretch. I would really like to hope she's just a sub-headliner, if even a sub-headliner aha

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    My prediction for Kanye West's replacement is Franz Ferdinand or Damon Albarn.
    Believe me, I take no joy in having been correct with a prediction for once.

Kinda hoping that the Flaming Lips are the closing act instead of playing warmup for Jack Johnson...

Kinda hoping that the Flaming Lips are the closing act instead of playing warmup for Jack Johnson...
    You and me both. My hope is that they'll be the White headliner. OutKast playing as a sub-headliner in front of 40,000 at the Green makes sense, and while the Lips do big festivals, they also play smaller arenas and concert halls. Then again, having OutKast leading into Jack Johnson doesn't make a lot of sense.

As for Franz, well, whatever. I just saw them in Hong Kong and they were fine, and I'm guessing I'll end up seeing them again since I'm pretty sure Basement Jaxx will be the White headliner. oh.kamikaze's probably right that Lily Allen will get announced, and if she does, maybe she'll get the Green sub-headlining spot.

Clues from SITG: We're obviously not getting any of the Saturday bands, or Buraka Som Sistema. Without checking their tour info, Chvrches, Grouplove, Wild Beasts and Phantogram are Fri Fuji possibilities. What about Hoodoo Gurus on Sun?

The other thing I'll say is that the talent at this year's festival is reasonably spread out across the weekend. For me, there's no one day that's heavily loaded at the expense of the others. So while I'm not that pumped about too many bands, at least there's decent stuff to see each day.

And Huun-Huur-Tu should be interesting.

Although I am a tiny bit disappointed they decided to move Franz up instead of finding a replacement, at least it's a safe bet and we haven't ended up with Coldplay ahaha. I'm really excited to see The Flaming Lips added as well, saw them a few years back and they really blew me away (i.e. confetti cannons), so that will be sick to do again. As much as it will probably be Lily Allen, I'd still love to see The Black Keys instead. I really have no interest in seeing Lily Allen... but it almost certainly will be Lily. She's playing Splendour on the Sunday night, which is perfect to fill the remaining sub-headliner slot on Friday at Fuji - so sad.. aha.

Huun-Huur-Tu will definitely be interesting; very excited to see them perform live.

It's a shame we won't get Buraka Som Sistema, but I definitely got enough ethnic bass vibes last year from Baianasysetm for a few years. Chvrches did just play the Tokyo Hostess Club Weekender in February and there's no other festival clashes (other than SITG) so I guess they're a possibility. Grouplove, Phantogram, and Wild Beasts are all also available and are all playing Sunday at SITG, so possibilities for Friday at Fuji. As for the Hoodoo Gurus, you never know. One half of me sees them as perfect for Fuji's diversity, but the other half says no way, never.

I have a confession to make. I thought Lily Allen's set in 2009 was pretty good. I don't remember why actually I ended up seeing her because I certainly wasn't planning to (I probably just happened to be near the Green Stage at that time and was too lazy to go elsewhere), but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would probably see her again if there's no serious conflict

That said, while I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility, I think her being a subheadliner is far from a foregone conclusion, assuming she's even booked at all. Remember, both Jack White and Mumford & Sons were headliners at SITG, but they played earlier in the day at the Green Stage.

As for Huun-Huur-Tu, I think you'll have more than one opportunity to see them. They've got to be a lock for the Orange Court, and my money is on extra sets at Gypsy Avalon and Cafe De Paris (because what better venue is there for a Central Asian band than a French-themed tent?).

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    The other thing I'll say is that the talent at this year's festival is reasonably spread out across the weekend. For me, there's no one day that's heavily loaded at the expense of the others. So while I'm not that pumped about too many bands, at least there's decent stuff to see each day.
    As much as I like Slowdive, Friday is ridiculously thin for me. Smash needs to get its act together and book more acts that I like for that day. You know, I'd be happy to send them a wish list...

Baianasysetm
    My absolute favorite show from last year. Did you see them at the Naeba Shokudo or Orange Court?

As much as I like Slowdive, Friday is ridiculously thin for me.
    No love for Bombay Bicycle Club or Parquet Courts then?

Nope, afraid not.

There's always a chance that a band that makes you go "meh" when you hear their recorded work will be really good live, so here's hoping that will happen with some of them. Hell, Franz Ferdinand might be fun live - I should stop being so curmudgeonly and give them a chance. (Although I'll always be traumatized by how mind-numbingly boring Coldplay were when I "gave them a chance" in 2011.)

And, to be fair, I should probably do some research on some of those names that are not familiar to me. Also, I'm sure that some of those Saturday/Sunday acts will do an alternative set at a smaller stage on Friday, so theres that.

Surprised to hear you enjoyed Lily, so I guess I may have to just give her a chance if she is added and there's nothing else on. That's also a very fair point you made regarding Lily as a Green stage day set, rather than a sub-headliner. I don't know how big she is in Japan but I'd have to say I really couldn't see her rocking the crowd at a headlining Green stage slot for 90-120 minutes so perhaps a 60-80 minute afternoon slot would work better.

I also agree that we'll probably see Huun-huur-tu at least a couple times. Being such an interesting and eclectic performance piece, Fuji would surely want to have them performing on a few difference stages. I can definitely see them in the Shokudo or, as you said, down at the Cafe de Paris.

I saw Baianasystem slaying the Orange Court with funky, bassy ethno-beats on the Saturday night, before or after being wowed by Bjork and then devouring ramen at the Cafe de Paris area. (Can you beat a bowl of hot, steamy ramen on a slightly cool, wet, stormy night when you're running on 2 hours sleep and multiple nights' hangovers? I think not).

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    Although I'll always be traumatized by how mind-numbingly boring Coldplay were when I "gave them a chance" in 2011.
    Please don't stop hating on Coldplay, ever

I debated whether or not I should post this, because what I'm about to say is unconfirmed to the extreme. But my twitter feed has been (kind of) going aflutter and I figured, hey what the hell. Don't we all traffic in unconfirmed rumors every once in a while?

Anyway, some random person on twitter is claiming that someone from the band has told them that the Pogues are due to play Fuji.

Is it true? Fucked if I know. But I'm half-tempted now to casually mention on twitter that a friend who works for Smash let slip that the Sunday closer will be the Rolling Stones playing a special Exile On Main Street set, just to see how far it propagates.

I haven't seen anything similar but I'd definitely be interested to see the Pogues. I'm not a huge fan, but I can appreciate their music and cult status as arguably the greatest celtic punk ever. A friend saw them a few years back at a festival in Australia, with the majority of his recounts of the show describing Shane MacGowan's inability to even stand as he was that drunk. Supposedly he spent the majority of the show on the stage floor, wailing into the mic. In just about every interview I've seen him in, he's presented similarly, not even able to speak clearly let alone make any sense of the questions being asked.

As for the Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street special, I heard something similar from a old friend named Donnie Good or something...

A friend saw them a few years back at a festival in Australia, with the majority of his recounts of the show describing Shane MacGowan's inability to even stand as he was that drunk. Supposedly he spent the majority of the show on the stage floor, wailing into the mic.
    This is par for the course with McGowan. It's a minor miracle (depending on how you feel about the Pogues) he's not already dead. I also thought it would be difficult to sing with no teeth, but apparently he got them fixed a few years back.

They did play Fuji in 2005. Looking back on it, that was a pretty good lineup.
    Last edited by gweilo; 05-02-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Yeah, I know he's only mid-50s or something now, but you know, surely he can't have much longer? Perhaps we'll find out if The Pogues are on this coming lineup, but I think if the Pogues were playing they'd have been announced earlier. Just the feeling I get.
    That year's lineup does look really good. I think it was the first year I saw the lineup and thought, I'd love to go to that festival one year...

So there's some interesting stuff going on with the Flaming Lips. And I don't know how I missed this story from a couple of years ago. That video is ... wow. Don't play it at work.

So Wayne Coyne might be a bit of a dick. I'm sure I'll see them anyway.

I read this and thought just about the exact same thing. I didn't really want to hear that he wasn't nice, but I'll also still see them aha

Also, Robert Glasper Experiment was added to Summersonic, which is a shame. I remember he and his gig was something I liked seeing on the fake lineup. Should revisit that and see who's actually been legitimate...

Beck just added a bunch more dates to his US summer tour, so he's almost certainly not playing Fuji (if there was any hope still left for him to play). I say 'almost certainly' because technically there's a gap between a date on July 23 and July 27, but you know... It's not going to happen

A couple other bands that have openings around Fuji time, but probably less than a 1% chance of playing, are Afghan Whigs and Mastodon.

Wouldn't mind having seen Afghan Whigs reunion tour, but I'm not bummed out.
    So tomorrow's lineup, I suspect we'll see the addition of Lily Allen. Perhaps we'll see two or three more international acts added also, and then a few Japanese artists. I imagine they'll save the usual amount of small Japanese bands until the next few, final announcements.

As for Sunday, Jack Johnson will almost certainly close the Green and OutKast will close the White stage. Kelis would be perfect as sub-headliner on White, pre-OutKast. Flaming Lips, they're big but are they big enough for Green? I'd love to see them close out the Red Marquee, but the stage may be too small for all their gear? Who'd have thought they were such a hard band to fit??

John Butler Trio would be perfect leading into Jack Johnson. Initially, I was thinking London Grammar as the 'headlining' slot for Red Marquee which Lorde would suit well as a sub- for. Maybe London Grammar will play the early evening set before Kelis on the White? And Lorde will sub- for Flaming Lips in the Marquee? Who knows.

I'm still holding out hope that we'll see a return of the Sunday closing slot. We haven't had one the past two years, but the optimist in me thinks that they were anomalies. Smash simply couldn't secure a suitable band in 2012 - Hidaka basically admitted as much in an interview - and, according to my optimistic view, they didn't bother with it last year because they knew the Cure would play longer than they're supposed to (which they learned the hard way in 2007).

But then again, I doubt I'll see Jack Johnson, and the logistical reality is that if you see the headlining shows at White, FoH, or Orange on Sunday, you'll only be able to catch the tail end of the closing act. So I guess it kind of doesn't matter for me personally...

I'd love to see [the Flaming Lips] close out the Red Marquee, but the stage may be too small for all their gear? Who'd have thought they were such a hard band to fit??
    I don't think the Flaming Lips would be given the "logo treatment" in the lineup page if they were the Red Marquee headliner. They're either the Green sub-headliner, White headliner, or (to be naively optimistic again…) the closing act.

My money is on Foster The People headlining the RM on Friday. Not sure about the other two days - Bloody Beetroots and SBTRKT possibly (although late night RM is the more obvious slot for those two acts).

Fri: FF Green headliner, Lily Allen (or another as-yet-unannounced act) Green sub-headliner, Basement Jaxx White headliner, Bombay Bicycle Club Red headliner (a la Broken Social scene in 2010), Foster the People late-afternoon Green

Sat: Arcade Fire Green headliner, Damon Albarn Green sub-headliner, Manic Street Preachers White headliner, Bloody Beetroots Red headliner (a la Simian Mobile Disco in 2009; longshot chance for St. Vincent), Biffy Clyro gets late afternoon Green

Sun: Jack Johnson Green headliner, Flaming Lips Green sub-headliner (praying for a closer spot though), Outkast White headliner (Kelis sub-headlining), London Grammar Red headliner, Lorde with a late afternoon Green slot

All picks 100% guaranteed to be wrong or your money back.

I've never experience this mysterious 'sunday night closer', but it seems fun from previous years. It must have run quite late though? And I've noticed in previous years a lot of people leave, if not during, then immediately after the green closer act. I guess I know why now...
    I agree with the Flaming Lips logo in the lineup, but I just can't see them before Jack or OutKast, although it will very likely happen.
    All other speculations seem fairly likely. Bloody Beetroots may play a late night set after Arcade Fire? Similar to Feed Me last year on the Green on Saturday night after Bjork. If so, perhaps even The Lumineers closing out the Red Marquee? I guess Yoko Ono is set for afternoon / early evening on the Green? Phil Lesh may headline Field Of Heaven similar to Garth Hudson last year (which was coincidentally really good, didn't catch a lot as I saw a mix of about 5 headline/sub-headliners that night.

Also, it won't happen, but there's literally just enough gap in a tour for Spoon to play Sunday...

Nothing?

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140424000791

Finally some word on Valley Rock, but the word is that there'll be no word this year. I hope this doesn't mean a return to 2012 crowd numbers, although that was likely due to Radiohead alone aha

I agree with the Flaming Lips logo in the lineup, but I just can't see them before Jack or OutKast, although it will very likely happen.
    There's still a chance that they get the White headline gig (which would be great for me), and Outkast play as Green sub-head. It wouldn't seem to make a lot of sense for OK to lead into Jack Johnson, but then again, Jack Johnson doesn't make sense.

The Lumineers closing out the Red Marquee?
    I think they'll be at the FOH, and Phil Lesh will be at the OC. Or maybe both of them will be at the FOH.

I guess Yoko Ono is set for afternoon / early evening on the Green?
    I have no idea how to slot Yoko. This may sound funny, but I really don't know how big she is in Japan. My guess is that you're right.

Also, it won't happen, but there's literally just enough gap in a tour for Spoon to play Sunday...
    If there was a gap, there's not anymore -- their website says they're in Seattle all weekend.

Too bad about Jisan/ Ansan. But I guess it was to be expected.

gweilo - Those seem like solid predictions, although I'm sure some of those slots will go to acts who haven't been announced yet. And it occurred to me that Slowdive is another possible RM headliner, although I would much, much, much rather see them at the White Stage.

I think Phil Lesh is FOH. As for Yoko Ono, I thought late night RM might be an interesting, thinking-outside-the-box slot for her...until I remembered how old she is. Honestly, your guess is as good as mine.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140424000791

Finally some word on Valley Rock, but the word is that there'll be no word this year.
    This might be a little inappropriate, but I'm glad Smash didn't make the same decision in the wake of that horrific earthquake/tsunami in 2011. The lineup might not have been the best, but I still saw plenty of great shows that year. Obviously, the news of all those young lives lost is very heartbreaking, but I feel bad for Korean music fans.

Considering Slowdive, my bet is on a headline spot in the RM, and I'd like that. White Stage would look better for them, but considering Basement Jaxx are likely closing out the White, would they put Slowdive as an opener? Unless Lily Allen closes out the White and Basement Jaxx sub- for Franz Ferdinand. For Friday, there's also Foster the People, Bombay Bicycle Club, and Darkside to consider. Darkside would be pretty perfect opening for Basement Jaxx over on the White, I think. Foster or Bombay may well be a bigger headliner for Red Marquee than Slowdive. Who knows. I swear this year is harder than ever with all this diversity among the lineup.

I understand it's still over 2 months away but I want to plan damn it! aha and by plan, I mean, wail about everything I'll have to skip out on halfway through and celebrate everything I'll still get to see full sets for.