Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2014

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2014

I know these supposedly fake lineups get a lot of hatred on forums like this but they seem to consistently provide fairly legit clues. I mean, look at last year's supposedly fake lineup:

http://www.coachella.com/forum/attac...5&d=1361944160

If I remember correctly, all of those bands ended up on the lineup eventually. Also, I think those Arcade Fire dates you listed may be in June, not July.
    http://arcadefire.com/live/

I'm really betting on Arcade Fire headlining. They're touring the world at the moment, headlining every major festival around and they haven't hit Japan yet and they're not playing Supersonic; they've got to be on the Fuji lineup. To be honest, this seems like a fairly decently accurate first lineup for Fuji, but I may be totally wrong aha!

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    For what it's worth, Arcade Fire are playing Italy on July 24, and Dublin on July 29, so I would probably bet against this being legit.
    Knife are probably billed too low and Pearl Jam were using the "lightning bolt" font in generic concert ads in 2013 and 2014.

Referring again back to last year's supposedly fake lineup announcement, Tame Impala were listed second last and ended up headlining the Red Marquee on Friday Night, I think, and Yo La Tengo were listed last, ending up with an afternoon slot on the Green Stage maybe Saturday?
    I'm mostly questioning Pearl Jam's popularity in Japan? I know they've been playing festivals all around the world in recent years, playing huge, retrospective sets although for some reason I can't see them as a headliner at Fuji. I'm also wondering where the generic Fuji Rock British headliner is?

Quote Originally Posted by oh.kamikaze View Post
    Also, I think those Arcade Fire dates you listed may be in June, not July.
    http://arcadefire.com/live/
    Shit, you're right. And them playing California on July 30 dovetails very nicely with Fuji Rock/Splendour (or that Korean festival). I still maintain that the lineup is fake, as it seems a little too early for legit posters/ads to be circulating, but that doesn't mean they didn't get some of the individual components right. Although we can't count out the possibility that they'll just play Splendour in the Glass and that'll be it for them for that weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Knife are probably billed too low and Pearl Jam were using the "lightning bolt" font in generic concert ads in 2013 and 2014.
    To be fair, I think all the acts other than the supposed headliners are in alphabetical order. But your point about Pearl Jam's logo (which I didn't know about) kind of adds to my suspicion about the veracity of the lineup. Also, when have they ever announced all three headliners at once?

And kamikaze, you're probably right about Pearl Jam not being as popular in Japan as they are elsewhere, but I guess you could always counter that by mentioning Roxy Music and the Faces...

I know these supposedly fake lineups get a lot of hatred on forums like this but they seem to consistently provide fairly legit clues. I mean, look at last year's supposedly fake lineup:

http://www.coachella.com/forum/attac...5&d=1361944160
    Okay, I just looked at last year's thread where that was posted, and it seems I played the part of the doubting Thomas that was proven wrong. So my official stance on this right now is I DON'T KNOW.

That was posted like a day before the official announcement though whereas we still have about a week and a half to go before the first lineup release (presumably) hits but again I DON'T KNOW.

old school

And kamikaze, you're probably right about Pearl Jam not being as popular in Japan as they are elsewhere, but I guess you could always counter that by mentioning Roxy Music and the Faces...
    PJ rarely play Japan.

Nagoya-Shi Kokaido, Nagoya, Japan on March 6, 2003
    Koseinenkin Kaikan, Osaka, Japan on March 4, 2003
    Nippon Budokan, Tokyo, Japan on March 3, 2003
    Pacifico Yokohama, Yokohama, Japan on March 1, 2003
    Sun Plaza Hall, Sendai, Japan on February 28, 2003
    Koseinenkin Kaikan, Osaka, Japan on February 21, 1995
    Nippon Budokan, Tokyo, Japan on February 20, 1995
    Izumi T-21, Sendai, Japan on February 18, 1995

You're totally right about Smash rarely, if ever, announcing all three headliners in the first announcement. It also crossed my mind. I'm kind of hoping for no Pearl Jam, and someone better aha! But I'd be pretty happy if Arcade Fire and Beck were on the first announcement.

I guess this supposed lineup also neglects any chance of OutKast playing too. OutKast have said they'll only play 40 festivals this year and have already announced upward of 10 in North America alone. I'm almost certain they will play Splendour In The Grass in Australia as there's definitely an audience there; also it's really the only mid-year (Northern Hemisphere's Summer) festival in Australia. I guess if they do indeed play SITG, it'll be understandable if they skip out Japan all together.

As for Arcade Fire, they did just tour Australia with the Big Day Out festival (coincidentally alongside Pearl Jam) as well as playing a few solo dates in major cities. It would be typical of SITG to lock in Arcade Fire as a 'One-off-no-sideshows' headliner as they've done many, many times before with bands touring Australia throughout our summer before the mid-year SITG. Personally, I see the SITG organisers as total copout booking agents as practically every year their lineups include almost solely bands who've just toured with other festivals, or bands pick-pocketed from the Fuji lineup.

The 'fake' lineup also fits well with current rumours (practically confirmations) that London Grammar will play SITG. Other rumours for SITG include James Vincent McMorrow, Sky Ferreira (coincidentally backstage at Fuji Rock last year at DIIV's Red Marquee set), and Bombay Bicycle Club. As for any of those bands playing Fuji, perhaps only Bombay Bicycle Club. I know when it comes to indie music, the Japanese public's taste tends to lean more toward the more poppier bands.

Okay, I just looked at last year's thread where that was posted, and it seems I played the part of the doubting Thomas that was proven wrong. So my official stance on this right now is I DON'T KNOW.
    I feel now like I've played the part of overly-defensive doubtless Thomas ahaha! I meant no hard feelings in bringing up last year's 'fake' lineup. The truth is, as you've said, no one really knows and we'll all just have to wait and see!

They've said early March for the first round of acts, which coincides with the release of the pre-sale tickets. Who knows though? Perhaps this lineup is so spot on they'll push the announcement right forward to avoid any, you know, kids on forums making wild assumptions regarding as-of-yet unconfirmed line-up releases aha

. I'm also wondering where the generic Fuji Rock British headliner is?
    Who exactly was the generic british headliner last year. Bjork? NIN? The Cure?
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Well the Cure are of course British but I'd probably agree there weren't necessarily the classically British rock bands that Fuji seems to build their lineups around most years. I'd say The Cure, The XX, Karl Hyde, Wilko Johnson, Mumford & Sons, Savages, Foals, My Bloody Valentine, list goes on; those bands all definitely made up for the lack of Brits in headline slots, as compared to previous years.

I can't tell you whether Pearl Jam is likely or not, but the way I read that lineup, they and Arcade Fire would be headliners while Beck would be a White Stage headliner, a la Skrillex last year. Also re: Skrillex, their/ his name was misspelled in the leaked lineup, so I wouldn't put too much stock in the wrong Pearl Jam logo being used. As for Arcade Fire, I've felt for a while that they'd be a strong possibility.

If this is for real, then I'm relatively happy. But for my tastes it would be very top-heavy. Aside from the Femmes and a couple others, I'm not crazy over a lot of those bands.

Two other bands that have played Fuji and have new music coming out: the Kills and Fucked Up.
    Last edited by gweilo; 02-21-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Also, if this lineup is for real, the Exploited might not be on the bill anymore.

Just noticed that Pearl Jam uses that logo at the top of their website. Also, they have no conflicting tour dates listed.

OK, last thought on this possibly fake lineup: What's up with all the punk? I hadn't heard of Anti-flag or The Men before, but then I found out they're both punk bands to go along with The Exploited and Iceage. As such, I'm starting to come around since this lineup would represent more guitar-n-balls than many Fujis past, which are usually littered with too many twee indie/ electro-pop acts for my taste.

I just realized that the National tour page I posted, listing them playing Splendour on Jul 27, is for last year. Oopsie.

Of all the possible sources of the lineup leak, I didn't think it would be pollstar.

In case it gets deleted:

At midnight Feb. 27 Smash Corporation released the first list of artists who will play at this year's Fuji Rock Festival, at the Naeba Ski Resort in Niigata Prefecture July 25-27.

Kanye West and Jack Johnson appear to be two of the headliners, with Franz Ferdinand, Basement Jaxx and Manic Street Preachers not far behind.
    Other acts include Bombay Bicycle Club, Darkside, Fanfare Ciocarlia, Garland Jeffreys, Jonathan Wilson, Parquet Courts, Phil Lesh, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, and The Waterboys.
    Several days before the announcement, a fake "leaked lineup" was circulated on the Internet saying that the headliners would be Beck, Arcade Fire and Pearl Jam.
    In the meantime, Creativeman Productions has added new acts to its Summer Sonic/Sonicmania lineup for August 16-17: Pixies, Megadeth, Phoenix, Azealia Banks, Metronomy, Kraftwerk, and more.

I'm about 99.8% convinced that this lineup is legit. But you have to promise not to make fun of me for saying that if it's fake.

It's interesting to note that Franz Ferdinand has been demoted. They'd have to be a Green sub-headliner, but both FF --> Kanye and FF --> JJ seem like bizarre combinations. They'd play before the third headliner, wouldn't they? I guess Arcade Fire would work, but I don't know if they're more popular than FF in Japan.

I can see myself missing the Waterboys' set if they conflict with a funeral of a close family member, but not much else. They've been on my Fuji Rock wish list for a very long time.

The first batch has been released.

KANYE WEST
    JACK JOHNSON

FRANZ FERDINAND
    BASEMENT JAXX
    MANIC STREET PREACHERS

THE BLOODY BEETROOTS LIVE
    BOMBAY BICYCLE CLUB
    CLAUDE VONSTROKE
    DARKSIDE
    DUBFIRE
    FANFARE CIOCARLIA
    GARLAND JEFFREYS
    JOHN BUTLER TRIO
    JONATHAN WILSON
    JUNGLE
    LONDON GRAMMAR
    moe.
    NARASIRATO
    PARQUET COURTS
    PHIL LESH & THE TERRAPIN FAMILY BAND
    PRESERVATION HALL JAZZ BAND
    THE QEMISTS
    SBTRKT
    THE SKATALITES
    THE STRYPES
    SYL JOHNSON, BOBBY RUSH & LAVELLE WHITE SOUL MUSIC LEGENDS
    THE WATERBOYS

Dammit, dammit, dammit. I really liked the other one more. I could give a flying fuck about Kanye West, Jack Johnson's anodyne, I like FF but not a lot (and I just saw them in December), and Basement Jaxx isn't my thing at all. Aside from Parquet Courts, SBTRKT, Bombay Bicycle Club and a couple others, there's not much here for me.

That is pretty weak.

Jack Johnson?
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I am liking Kanye's chances for Lolla now.

I also probably preferred the first leaked lineup but this isn't the worst, in any regard. I will somewhat shamefully admit I'm somewhat excited to see Kanye. I've missed him a few times in Australia recently due to a lack of commitment but he'd be fine at Fuji. If he's rubbish, I'll just walk away and no doubt find something better to see. I'm also pumped for Parquet Courts, will be very interested to see Phil Lesh, Darkside, Jungle, Jack Johnson, and Manic Street Preachers.

Also, a bunch of the bands on last years initial leaked lineup didn't appear on the first lineup release. And some of those bands not initially released went on to headline stages, such as Tame Impala and Skrillex. So who knows, maybe Arcade Fire or Beck will be released later? Or maybe never, who knows...

I guess I'm the only one here who prefers this lineup. But then again, I've been wanting to see the Waterboys for a long time, and this would probably be a meh lineup for me too if not for them.

So Basement Jaxx, Franz Ferdinand, and Manic Street Preachers are likely either Green sub-headliners or White headliners. I stand by my earlier prediction for FF. Basement Jaxx to play the Green Stage before Kanye kind of makes sense, no? As for Manics, I can see them playing the White Stage opposite Kanye or JJ for folks who want to see guitar rock.

I think they might have Basement Jaxx as a White headliner across from Jack Johnson or someone else besides Kanye. I suppose I could see FF leading into Kanye, given that they're one of the danciest rock bands around. But, I am wondering if the reason BJ, FF and MSP are listed where they are is because they're all White Stagers?

Guess we can count Mogwai out, as they've been announced to play Sonic Mania (Summer Sonic spin-off festival).

I agree the sub-headliners may possibly all headline the White Stage. Basement Jaxx and Franz Ferdinand both seem perfect somehow for the White Stage. Manic Street Preachers would be possibly best on the Green, early evening slot, if not sub-headlining. I'm beginning to become really curious as to who will be announced next and whether there will indeed be any truth to that early 'leaked' lineup. I imagine there won't be much truth to it but it will definitely be interesting to see who's announced next. Any word on when the next lineup will be released? Say mid-March?

Any word on when the next lineup will be released? Say mid-March?
    It's usually every two weeks, so I'm guessing maybe a week from tomorrow, i.e. Friday the 14th.

If BJ, FF and MSP are White headliners, then that means we've only got one headliner announcement left (aside from Red acts). I'm hoping Smash starts adding some really good depth, because it looks like I'm going to be spending precious little of my evenings at the Green this year.

Here's hoping they do adhere to the usual two-week release schedule. I'm also really hoping for the lineup to fill itself out with plenty of good bands and artists. After the first lineup though, I'm not sure what to expect...

Well, in the meantime, could we start petitioning Smash to get these gals?

Babymetal played Summer Sonic last year so maybe…nah.

Jack Johnson is confirmed for Sunday, while Basement Jaxx and John Butler Trio will be playing on Friday. This really won't mean a whole lot until we find out more dates for other acts though (unless the possibility of JBT and BJ conflicting matters to you).

9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale