Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2014

Default Fuji Rock Festival 2014

I'm jumping the gun here, since they haven't even announced the dates yet. (WTH, Smash? WE'RE TWO WEEKS INTO THE NEW YEAR ALREADY.) But I think we can assume it's July 25-27.

Early contenders:

Outkast (announced 40 summer gigs)
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    Pixies
    Pains of Being Pure at Heart
    Mac DeMarco
    Real Estate
    Deerhunter
    Best Coast

Since Summer Sonic already announced Arctic Monkeys, Robert Plant, Avenged Sevenfold and Phoenix, we won't be getting those.

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2014

Yep, it's July 25 through 27.

http://www.fujirockfestival.com

It was announced on the main website on January 1 as usual. I suppose they haven't bothered updating their English website, which must be their way of saying eff you to the non-Japanese speaking population.

I haven't really kept up with Internet rumors like I used to, so I'm not really aware what possibilities are being floated out there. Blur did just finish their Japan dates yesterday, which were promoted by Creativeman. Do you know who else played Japanese Creativeman-organized shows in January? Muse in 2010. Although I have no idea if Blur are planning on playing any festivals - or playing any shows at all - this summer.

In addition to those Summer Sonic acts you mentioned, Kasabian are playing Sonic Mania, which is like the all-nighter Summer Sonic, so they're out as well. Not that a lot of people seriously thought they were a possibility, since they are practically the house band for Summer Sonic (who graciously lent them to us in 2008).

I'm working on a plan to make it out there this year, but its success is very much a long shot.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

It was announced on the main website on January 1 as usual.
    But that's a new address, right? Or has that one always been there, but just never in English? The one I've always used is smash-uk.com/frf[year]. So I kept going through the Smash UK site and clicking on the FRF '14 link, which would only take me to the '13 festival site. Yesterday I finally looked it up on FB and Fujirockers, which confirmed the dates. What can I say -- maybe all the time I've spent in greater China has affected my lateral thinking. Then I couldn't correct my post because the forum was down for maintenance. Anyway....

Another possible headliner is Arcade Fire, because it looks like they've got a month between their European tour finishing in late June and a show in California on July 30. That would give them a solid month to do some Asian dates, unless they're planning on going home to Montreal for a break. Of course, it's really unlikely that the lineup will look like Coachella redux (to say nothing of Muse coming back, which I would prefer not to happen).

Then there's the news that Morrissey's got a new one coming out in the second half of the year. So, we can expect the return of These Charming Men.

I'm planning on going next year for sure, always wanted to go to Fuji after all these years. Might as well make a trip out of it and spend 2-3 weeks in the country.

I think the exchange rate is a little bit more favorable for people traveling to Japan these days (although maybe not so favorable for organizers of Japanese music festivals who have to pay artists in dollars, pounds, and euros) so hopefully you guys can make it.

I'd totally see These Charming Men if they make a return, though I would hope they'll play at a more modest slot than they did in 2004. I don't know if they'll ever have a tribute band again though (yes I know you're only joking) - Summer Sonic seems like they'd be more likely to go for that kind of schtick. Speaking of which, the 1975, Azealia Banks, and Metronomy were just confirmed for SS, so they're out.

I'm looking at the Coachella lineup right now, and it occurred to me that Beck is popular enough in Japan to headline, no?

Speaking of which, the 1975, Azealia Banks, and Metronomy were just confirmed for SS, so they're out.
    I've seen Azealia Banks and Metronomy in HK, and the 1975 (just did Clockenflap in HK) don't do anything for me. I'd love to see Beck at Fuji. I think he appeared a year or two before I started showing up.

Bands that have played Fuji prior to 2013 and have new music out/ are touring (and the Kensington Hillbillys don't count):

New Age
    The Naked and Famous
    Best Coast
    Warpaint
    Beach House
    Four Tet
    MGMT
    Broken Bells
    White Lies
    Fall Out Boy
    Cage the Elephant
    Dinosaur Jr.

From that list I'd like to see the Naked and Famous, Four Tet, Broken Bells, and Dinosaur Jr. since I missed their previous Fuji outings. I caught Warpaint's Red Marquee set in 2011 (I think) - they were pretty good, and I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

I might be the only person here who likes his music, but John Butler is in Japan right now to promote his band's new album, without playing any proper shows. It's probably safe to assume they'll be back later in the year. John Butler Trio are practically Fuji Rock regulars now, along with Asian Dub Foundation, Foals and Primal Scream (although we might have to kick PS off the list - they've been slacking off lately, not having played since 2008), so I'd say they're a strong possibility.

Friday night headliner?

http://www.americanmary.com/tour.php

By the way, the Primavera Sound lineup is just magnificent: http://pitchfork.com/news/53741-slow...lay-primavera/. I'm intrigued that Slint is appearing. I'm going to do a bit more trolling on some of those bands' sites and see who else might have Fuji-agreeable schedules.

From that list I'd like to see the Naked and Famous, Four Tet, Broken Bells, and Dinosaur Jr. since I missed their previous Fuji outings. I caught Warpaint's Red Marquee set in 2011 (I think) - they were pretty good, and I wouldn't mind seeing them again.
    The Naked and Famous were decent enough. I like Broken Bells' first album, but the live show was boring. Dinosaur Jr. was predictably great. As for Four Tet, I guess you have to like the music, and not mind it being one of those shows where people stand at computers. That's basically what it was at Clockenflap in Hong Kong.

Oh, and does anyone know how to make URL links with regular text?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Do you just mean like this? Just replace the url that is not in quotation marks or in brackets.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Ahh, OK. Think I got it. Most sites have two fields, one for the URL and one for the text.

So let's see if this news about Afghan Whigs works.

Not making this one, but I'm hoping to make it to that Chernobyl Polo Fields fest in the next few years. Seems legit.
    THIS IS SOME REAL SHIT.

Boooooooooooooo.

So, price hike.

Because, you know, tickets weren't expensive enough before.

Well, there goes any reasonable hope for Neutral Milk Hotel -- they'll be on the US east coast on the Friday.

Since we're on the topic of bands that aren't playing Fuji, Kraftwerk have been confirmed for Sonic Mania so they're probably out.

I realized after my previous post that the price hike is probably due to the consumption tax being raised by three percentage points in April. I wouldn't be surprised if it affects food/alcohol prices too, not to mention hotel prices (if you aren't camping) along with a whole lot of other things you'll spend your money on while in Japan. And the cost of living too for those of us who reside here, but that's another matter entirely.

I'm not a huge fan myself, but Consequence of Sound are reporting Lily Allen as 'Confirmed with evidence'. The article they're referring to isn't exactly proof though, just thought I'd share.
    http://consequenceofsound.net/festiv...festival-2014/

I'm hanging out for Slowdive, after they were announced for Primavera. Unfortunately, I think it's somewhat unlikely. Other personal hopefuls for the lineup would be Arcade Fire, Belle And Sebastian, MGMT, No Age, Sleepy Sun, Thee Silver Mt. Zion Orchestra, Stephen Malkmus, Cage The Elephant, Bill Callahan, Forest Swords, Jon Hopkins, Laurel Halo (just toured Japan though...). I suspect I'll be lucky to get even 1 or 2 or those though...

Was Slowdive ever prominent in Japan during their career?

I really don't know, to be honest. I know Souvlaki was definitely given a Japanese release and I've found a few other slowdive records in disc union over the years, but that's really all I know. Japan seems to really dig My Bloody Valentine and other shoegaze greats so why not Slowdive?

old school

Quote Originally Posted by oh.kamikaze View Post
    I'm not a huge fan myself, but Consequence of Sound are reporting Lily Allen as 'Confirmed with evidence'. The article they're referring to isn't exactly proof though, just thought I'd share.
    http://consequenceofsound.net/festiv...festival-2014/.
    Don't think any dates have been confirmed for Lily. Tour or album. Label keeps trying singles that don't seem to be connecting.

Quote Originally Posted by oh.kamikaze View Post
    http://consequenceofsound.net/festiv...festival-2014/

I'm hanging out for Slowdive, after they were announced for Primavera. Unfortunately, I think it's somewhat unlikely. Other personal hopefuls for the lineup would be Arcade Fire, Belle And Sebastian, MGMT, No Age, Sleepy Sun, Thee Silver Mt. Zion Orchestra, Stephen Malkmus, Cage The Elephant, Bill Callahan, Forest Swords, Jon Hopkins, Laurel Halo (just toured Japan though...). I suspect I'll be lucky to get even 1 or 2 or those though...
    I forgot Stephen Malkmus has some new stuff out too … they played Fuji in 2008. Another possibility. Arcade Fire still has nothing confirmed that would conflict with Fuji's dates. I'm blindly predicting them as a headliner, along with the National on the Fri (though I could also see the National in the 7:30 slot if Fuji can pull someone bigger).

I'm going to throw a few more acts with new-ish music out there that "seem Fuji", though I haven't looked at their tour schedules:

Disclosure
    Blood Orange
    So So Glos
    Speedy Ortiz

And I would love to see Yamantaka // Sonic Titan. One of them is half-Japanese (I think). Stapler, any buzz?

http://ynos.tv/hostessclub/schedule/...kender/artist/

Should we rule out those bands? Or does this increase their chance of Fuji? If I remember correctly, Noel Gallagher toured around February of 2012 and announced he'd be back for Fuji that same year.

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    And I would love to see Yamantaka // Sonic Titan.
    You and me both. I found out about them through their being on the shortlist for the Polaris Prize though, so I don't know how much buzz has been generated over here. The number of google hits I got is kind of discouraging however. They'd be perfect for the Red Marquee, but you have to admit they'd also fit right in at the Sonic Stage.

Speaking of which, the Pixies have been confirmed for Summer Sonic. I thought it would be Fuji's turn this time around, but I guess Creativeman outbid them. To be honest, they were one of my favorite bands back in college (mind you, they had broken up long ago by then - I'm not that old!), but I was thoroughly underwhelmed when I saw them at Zepp Tokyo about a decade ago, so I'm not too distressed by the news. An opportunity to see them again would've been nice though - maybe I just caught them on a bad day. Megadeth and a band called A Great Big World are also Summer Sonic-bound.

Slowdive have been on my wish list ever since I found out they're getting back together.

oh.kamikaze - Was it last year or the year before that Spiritualized played Fuji? Whichever it was, they also played that Club Hostess Weekender thingy earlier that year, so I wouldn't rule them out.
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 02-13-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Yeah, you're right about Spiritualized playing 2012 after having played the Club Hostess Weekender. Vampire Weekend did the same last year too so I'm betting on either Mogwai, The National, or both to be sub-headliners at Fuji this year. I just saw King Krule and Youth Lagoon in Melbourne and would love to see either of those two again, hopefully also.

Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago 18-20th July was just announced with a few Fuji possibilities. I'd love to see Beck at Fuji, Neutral Milk Hotel and/or Slowdive as previously mentioned above could easily do both also?

I've also been considering Connan Mockasin for Fuji. He recorded his new album in Tokyo so clearly he likes Japan and he's free so far in July...

Mogwai's typically had late-afternoon slots at Fuji, but who knows. They were on the Green Stage last time so maybe they'd get a 7ish slot on the White this time around. I'd also be very interested in seeing King Krule and Youth Lagoon.

As for Neutral Milk Hotel, I don't think it's happening - they're in Maryland that weekend according to their tour schedule.

Great shame about the dim likelihood of Neutral Milk Hotel, but at the same time, it leaves Fuji with the opportunity to book any other great band in the world right now. I booked my flights last night so I'll be there either way for my third Fuji Rock!

I believe Mogwai have headlined the White Stage before, so I can easily see them repeating that. I can't recall who they conflicted with the last time they played Fuji, but they did conflict with someone I wanted to see, and I remember walking past their set at the Green Stage thinking they're much better suited for a nighttime slot.

An Italian band called Talco is playing Tokyo on July 23. From the clip below, they seem like an obvious Orange Court band, and I suspect they'll end up being one of those bands that play multiple sets at various stages throughout the three days.

Fake lineup season has arrived:

For what it's worth, Arcade Fire are playing Italy on July 24, and Dublin on July 29, so I would probably bet against this being legit.