Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Scammed!

Default Re: Help! Scammed!

Kevin, I feel for you.

It sounds like you are going to learn from this and if this is the worst mistake you make this year, you will probably have a pretty good year.

Good luck and I hope you make it to the festival.

I find it hard to believe that someone has not set up a legitimate business enterprise to handle the resale of tickets in which an escrow account is used. The company will be licensed, bonded, and insured and can handle the money and the tickets. Buyer and seller execute a written agreement on a form specifically created for this event. Presumably the sale will be for face value rather than at scalper prices. Tickets and money are deposited into escrow, not through the internet but at an actual real brick and mortar place of business. When the buyer of the tickets is allowed into the festival, proving that the tickets are genuine, escrow is advised to release the money to the seller. The company handling the transaction would probably charge a fee of maybe $100 per ticket. To know that you were not getting ripped off, would people here pay $475 for a general admission ticket to guarantee it is real and will get you in? An attorney could probably handle this with a trust account but his fee would likely be cost prohibitive.

Although this business enterprise could work and guarantee performance, if someone has paid to stay at a hotel, that problem may not have a solution. You will get festival ticket money back for bogus tickets but not hotel money at inflated prices.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFromDFU View Post
    I find it hard to believe that someone has not set up a legitimate business enterprise to handle the resale of tickets in which an escrow account is used.
    I'm in the process of selling my two W1 passes and I've proposed using escrow.com to handle the transaction. The buyer's money is held until they receive the tracked-and-signed-for package and they have a pre-set number of days to accept the transaction or return the passes to me at their cost. If they fail to respond in that time period (following the receipt of the passes), the money comes to me anyway. The cost for this service is $35 for the whole transaction. It's not a brick-and-mortar company but it's the same one e-Bay uses for their sales. I can't see any exposure that either buyer or seller would have to fraud. $35 is pretty paltry sum to pay for peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by nouveau.glass View Post
    I'm in the process of selling my two W1 passes and I've proposed using escrow.com to handle the transaction. The buyer's money is held until they receive the tracked-and-signed-for package and they have a pre-set number of days to accept the transaction or return the passes to me at their cost. If they fail to respond in that time period (following the receipt of the passes), the money comes to me anyway. The cost for this service is $35 for the whole transaction. It's not a brick-and-mortar company but it's the same one e-Bay uses for their sales. I can't see any exposure that either buyer or seller would have to fraud. $35 is pretty paltry sum to pay for peace of mind.
    That is a great price for the service that protects both sides. I presume the buyer's money is released when the tickets are scanned and the buyer can actually get into the event. That is the ultimate proof they are genuine. It would probably help everyone here trying to buy and sell if you posted a separate thread with this information. If you have not sold yours, I may be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFromDFU View Post
    I presume the buyer's money is released when the tickets are scanned and the buyer can actually get into the event.
    Actually, once the funds are verified in escrow.com, I'll change the mailing address to that of the buyer (which only works up to Feb 19th in the case of W1)... the passes would be mailed to them directly - and of course, there's tracking info on the shipment and they have to sign for it - so there's proof of receipt. Once they have the passes in hand, they have a pre-set number of days (set by me when I set up the escrow) to accept them as real. Within that time, they can decline the sale and mail them to me, if they change their mind... or if they accept (or do nothing within the agreed-upon time), the payment is released to me. The only possible glitch would be a delay in my payment if they never acknowledge receipt at all... but their address is on file with GoldenVoice and there will be a signature on file, so in any event, I'd prevail in getting paid.

that seems very interesting...I'll keep that in mind in the future

I've emailed with two people who asked for a deposit for a ticket until they are delivered and then when I asked to meet in person and exchange FB info, both of them disappeared. I think a deposit makes sense if I find the right seller now and I'm willing to risk a hundred bucks if I find someone real now, but real means that I get to meet them at a coffee place, see what they drive, find out where they live, if they are going themselves (best case scenario I think), get DL info, ask where they work and find out what their FB looks like. Contract also a good thing, didn't think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmc5150 View Post
    The "seller" asked for the transaction to be done through eBay. Presumably to convince me it was legit, considering actual eBay transactions are guaranteed/protected. I was sent an invoice, supposedly from eBay, for the transaction. It appeared to be very legitimate at a glance. I was to make a bank transfer to send my money to an eBay "agent", who would supposedly deliver the money to the seller upon my reception of the passes. She had agreed to change the frontgate shipping address so I would get them directly. And yes I paid in advance, which in retrospect was a pretty bad idea; I think the excitement and craziness of trying to get this all done made me rush through things without thinking well enough.

I was shown proof of purchase beforehand, but I now realize that all the personal info on it was covered. Contact info and stuff I understand, but even the name? Which I already knew from the email? Again, not enough careful scrutinization on my part.

Someone tried doing this to me. They called it an invoice but it was just an email with paypal and ebay logos on it. Very easy to do. Before paying, I called ebay to verify this so called invoice. They said it isn't real unless you find the invoice through your ebay account, not through email. It will not be protected unless ebay sent you the invoice versus the seller. When i called out the person, they stopped emailing me. True scammer. Your bank SHOULD help, but we all know banks care about their money not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by gilbeat View Post
    Someone tried doing this to me. They called it an invoice but it was just an email with paypal and ebay logos on it. Very easy to do. Before paying, I called ebay to verify this so called invoice. They said it isn't real unless you find the invoice through your ebay account, not through email. It will not be protected unless ebay sent you the invoice versus the seller. When i called out the person, they stopped emailing me. True scammer. Your bank SHOULD help, but we all know banks care about their money not yours.
    Yeah, the bank was no help, unfortunately. They said there was nothing they could do for me, although they would gladly help law enforcement if they needed info. Unfortunately trying to get law enforcement to help was an absolute joke. It was infuriating how unhelpful every office and department I contacted was.