Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 First Time at Coachella Guide, Tips and Tricks

Default 2014 First Time at Coachella Guide, Tips and Tricks

Welcome to Coachella school. You are about to learn from the best of the best Coachella veterans who have experienced the festival. The advice below IF FOLLOWED will save you time, energy, money and frustration. Listen up, study, take notes and plan ahead to make your Coachella festival the best it can be.......here we go.

1. don't sell drugs to anyone. Either share or just keep em' ....Cops are out and about. If you even say you want $5 you are going to jail...no get out of jail free cards.
    The cops at Coachella catch so many people selling....reality is if you gonna sell....this little post ain't gonna stop ya.
    The #1 rule the cops have is to catch people selling within & keep people safe. They are undercover and one cop chic last year was looked like she was 17. No one would have thought her to be a cop. She took out more people than some bands bring in. If someone asks for drugs either GIVE THEM or SAY NO...if they offer you money and you do it...even if it's one dollar you ass is going to jail for distribution....and that's a big ass charge to fight that you will not win. Have fun in jail and enjoy trying to get a job with a distribution of drugs charge on your record after you get out of jail.

2. Lockers WILL sell out - ...nice thing is you can leave a lot of the stuff in your locker all day then track back once a day to get it....then leave all the stuff you don't need there for the morning.
    I can fit all this junk listed here in a backpack that fits easily into the smallest locker they sell. The medium locker will easily fit 2 full sized totally packed backpacks.
    Click this link to get one http://www.lockersonline.com They now have lockers with key combos so you don't have to hold onto a key.....much easier to share with others.
    USE THEIR CHANGING AREA - I can't believe how many people bypass this service. We take jeans for night...change around 6pm then after the final set change back into shorts so we can leave the jeans in the locker...less to carry the next day.

3. Don't bring your good sunglasses - odds are you'll lose them either dancing, drinking, stumbling or all the above at some moment. Buy some cheap sunglasses and bring a back up pair as you are likely to lose at least one pair.

4. Hat - have one (guys and girls - your scalp will be fried if you don't - remember you are going to be in the sun for over 3 hours.)

5. Good comfy shoes - ladies no one is going to look at your feet and you are gonna walk at least 3-4 miles every day...be ready and wear your best athletic shoes you got...if you have flip flops people will be stepping on your toes....expect it. I laugh at the ladies wearing wedges or anything that's not athletic shoes...because within an hour they are carrying their shoes in their hands ALL DAY LONG. Don't be dumb....wear athletic shoes. Some people will swear by flip flops, but I'll tell you if you have on flip flops your toes are gonna get stepped on...and possibly by some 300lb dude drunk dancing. I see it every year girls who thought Coachella was a chance to get dolled up...only to learn the hard way. WEAR ATHLETIC SHOES

6. Sunscreen and more sunscreen - plan on applying at least twice a day....I laugh my ass off at people on Saturday whom are already burnt...they are hurting come Saturday afternoon and they still have a day and half to go....I see many just giving up and going back to the tents because they are burnt. DO NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT SUNSCREEN!!! Even if it seems like a nice day...this is the desert and you WILL get burnt without it. If I re-did this list - Sunscreen applied twice a day would be my number 1 tip.

6B. Aloe - bring it and use it every night....even with sunscreen you are gonna get some mild burn.

7. Vitamins - take one every morning or lunch ...when ever you can stomach it.

8. Asprin - if you are gonna be parting...plan on a lot of asprin.... I take 3 b4 bed every night...wake up loving life

9. Immodium - take it if you need it or not....it'll keep you away from the port-o-poty. One per day.
    9B - if you have allergies bring Claritin.

10. Bring cold weather gear...even if the forcast says it's gonna be 115 degrees. At night the temp will drop down and you'll want a long sleeve shirt and pants. The cold effect is magnified because you are burnt....it's funny to see people shivering that didn't plan on it being cold at night. Every year I hear 'I didn't think it'd get this c-c-c-cold.' Add to the list THIN GLOVES. Keeps your hands warm and you don't have to stuff your hands in your pockets come night fall. Almost every year I'm one of a few that have gloves on and glad I do. You'll thank me for this one.

11. Bring a scarf / dust mask & clear glasses - the last two years it's been great and we didn't need them as the wind was down, but for majority of the years the wind blows hard (insert joke) and the dust is freaking unreal...those that have been here have seen that it'll be the worst dust storm you've ever seen in your life....without the scarf your gonna be coughing up dust chunks all night long. I go as far as to bring clear glasses to keep the dust out of my eyes. I didn't use them the two years, but took them anyway. UPDATED: Last year I had a dust mask from home depot ($1.00) and cheap safety glasses (clear- I'm not talking the ones you wore in science in high school - these look more like Oakley's but clear)($1.50)....saved my ass. I was the only one not blowing chunks of dirt out of my nose and mouth for the next 2 days. I could have sold pairs of glasses for $20 each the last night and dust masks for $20 as well. I take three masks and 3 pairs of safety glasses....if I use em each night great....if not I toss em. I get mine at my last locker trip each night before I head over for dinner. Easy tip - if it's a little windy during the day ....it's gonna be a fucking whirlwind at night.
    Take a look if you want to see how bad it gets....trust me if you haven't seen a Coachella dust storm - it's nothing short of a wholly F moment ....link here ...http://blog.pe.com/music/2013/04/15/...ive-home-ever/
    Ladies if you are thinking - there is no way I'm wearing a stupid dust mask...buy one and put it in your pocket...they fold up to almost nothing....small as chapstick. Not one guy nor your friends will remember what you looked like during the festival at night, everyone is looking at the main band - not you, and the next day you can either be feeling good OR feeling like crap with a lot of dirt in your lungs, nose and eyes. Take Em! It's not something you'll wear during the day...the dust gets bad from about 8pm till closing...and if it's bad at 8pm it's gonna be sickening nasty bay 10pm. If you don't use it...it didn't take hardly any space, weighs less than 3 pennies...and the clear goggles look cool and protect your eyes.

12. Ear Plugs - while concerts are awesome permanent hearing damage isn't. There are good sets out there cheap - you won't look dumb and you can hear everything well. If you are one of those ' I ain't wearing ear plugs' expect your ears to ring for 3 days after the festival - even if you are not close to the speakers....you got yourself some permanent damage. With decent ear plugs you can push em in or pull em out a little to adjust for the volume level you like. It is stupid not to have em. Remember if your ears are ringing you have done permanent damage...and being old and deaf isn't cool.
    Added: Take more than one pair. Last year I lost one dancing...ended up closing one ear with my finger (sucked)...bought another pair at Walgreens. The foam ones work, but not near as good as these (they are good and you can easily push em in a little or pull em out to help with sound. ORDER 2 PAIRS OF THESE AND THANK ME LATER http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html
    12B - Those of you who are parents and bringing kids. I'd demand they wear em. If you bring young kids ...for gods sake please have the over the head ear plugs for them. Just because you love the live music doesn't mean you have the right to F up your kids hearing. They can still hear the music with em on. Home Depot Carries these. Don't tell me you kids hearing isn't worth $16...http://www.homedepot.com/s/ear%2520protection?NCNI-5
    12C - on side stages - if you are nice and forgot em - ask the security next to the stage for a pair of ear plugs and they'll give you the foam ones for free. If one security guy says no go to another...eventually someone will give you a pair.
    12D - A new company focused on ear plugs for concerts http://www.earlove.net. I'll be using them this year.

13. don't be the clown - don't dress to be 'seen' ....go to the show....don't try to be the show. This is my personal opinion....some people feel the need to be looked at and have to be the center of attention....I advise don't. If our crew rolled up and were meeting someone and they were clowned up...we'd ditch em. It's like going to an NFL game, don't face paint. (added) if you gonna dress up as the clown, don't wear shit that's gonna block other peoples view of the stage (i.e. super large hats). I still think you should know that you are going to the show....you are not the show. People that have that 'look at me, look at me' attitude need psychological assistance.
    *Note - the clowns will try to shred this one, but they love the attention they get....attention whores. O well.

14. when the lineup comes out...open it up on one screen then open itunes in another. Listen to every band and rate them. It'll be a lot easier with that cheat sheet when the lineup times come out to decide who you want to see. You'll find a few bands you've never heard of and once you see them...odds are you will become a fan.
    * This has been one of the most important tips to follow. This way you aren't just random walking into tents hoping for a good show. It's either go into the fest educated or go in blind....how do you roll. I prefer to be educated. There are many many stages and walking from stage to stage hoping for a good show is stupid. You could be at one stage missing a band you could have loved at another. I often hear people only hitting 3-5 shows a day because the failed to follow this plan. They have fun...but not near as much had they gone in prepped.
    Go through every band and make your own chart...then when the schedule comes out circle the shows you want to see. This will also let you know when you have down time to chill. I went 2 years unplanned and had fun, but it wasn't 1/2 as fun as the years I did my prep work.
    Added: Print out a few set lists in case you lose one. It's much easier to use the paper schedule than your phone app. You are very unlikely to find a print schedule at the festival...have your own.
    itunes has 99% of the bands...if you can't find em on itunes you will find em on YouTube.
    This year Unlocking the Truth was my big find that wasn't on iTunes but I found em on YouTube and I'll be there.

15. take time to yourself. Don't be hitched with your group.....venture out on your own. It'll be some of the best times you have...guaranteed. I take off on my own every year for a few hours.

16. People watching at Coachella is far and away some of the best you'll get. I enjoy having a pint and watching all the different individuals.

17. don't be the idiot people are babysitting. Getting drunk or using drugs you are not used for the first time is not advisable. You hear and see people who are out of their mind at the festival and having a bad time because they went overboard. Remember Coachella is a marathon not a sprint...if you get wasted you are going to miss half of the next day...and that's just stupid. Do you really want to end up on youtube as flipflop guy or the girl who was making out with the tree...and yes they are on youtube forever.
    Flip flop guy here ----->https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ella+flip+flop
    Girl making out with tree ------>https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+out+with+tree
    Naked guy getting tassered ---->https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...la+naked+tased
    Don't be that guy/girl...don't get t-t-t-rashed. Everyone who's gone to the festival can tell you that some individuals are so wasted they didn't even make their first show on Friday. Many and I mean many get so wasted on Friday night that they don't even show up Saturday till 6pm....they missed an entire day because they were hung over...then they repeat it Sat so they miss most of Sunday. My advice if you have someone in your crew that can't control themselves...plan ahead. I tell those I'm going with 'I'm leaving the house Sat morning at 11:00am - if you are in the car great...if not I'll see you at the fest when you get there. I always leave on time - because Coachella is once a year for me - and those that go with me that don't get in the car don't complain that I didn't wait around for em. You are there to have fun...not babysit.

18. leave your damn phone in your locker or off. you don't need to tweet every thing you do. try talking to someone as you wait for a band to start rather than stare into a f'n screen. Also, don't be the douche video taping the concert. Have fun and jam....you can find the entire concert you saw online via youtube when you get home....someone a lot closer did it....allow him to be the fool who tried to stand still while everyone else was partying. If you bring an iPad and video tape a show you should be kicked in your teeth. It blocks peoples view - at night it's too f'n bright and distracting. I hope someone runs past you and takes and and keeps on going...as you'll never find them amungst the masses. If you think a random stranger is going to 'turn in' your phone....you are stupid. I live in the area and I know some of the people on clean up crew. They average 5 iPhones / smart phones a night...they keep em and sell em. You are better off not having your phone at all.

19. Have fun!

20. if driving: have an extra cooler with drinks and goodies as it's very common that it'll take an hour or more to get out of the festival....you will sit in one spot for 15 min. then move 6 feet and sit again for 15 min. UPDATE: They have gotten much better at parking and getting people out at the end of the day.

21. Expect to have other peoples sweat all over you. There is NO PERSONAL SPACE when you go to see any of the stage shows. Get rid of any idea of personal space you currently have. You will be shoulder to shoulder with masses of people....but have fun, jump around and have a good time. I remember my first Coachella (personal space story) I was fairly close to the stage and as time was getting closer to the show more and more people walked up to the are I was in. The closed in on me and it got so close that a guy got right next to me - actually touching me shoulder to shoulder - I said, "dude" (thinking I had some personal space) -after standing there for a second I looked around and thought 'it's gonna be like this all weekend....get used to it). I got used to it - had fun - and was better off expecting it the remainder of that weekend and every year since. It's the exchange of sweat!

22. Guys don't grope the girl dancing in front of you.....not cool. Girls grope away...guys don't care.

23. "State Farm" - be a good neighbor - say Hi...you will get a new friend.

24. If you are standing by people that are uncool....simply move to another spot....don't feel connected to that one spot. Move.

25. If you see someone doing something way uncool...call em out on it. EX. at Cage the Elephant people were body surfing. Three meat heads - large roided up high school students came into the area by us. They were having fun. problem was they had never participated in body surfing and when people were moved up to them they tried to catapult the person to the next level. 2 people fell pretty bad...then a skinny dude came accross and the biggest of them really pushed him hard. Guy went way up and went crashing down on people and was headed face first to the ground. He ended up ok. I went over to them and said 'what's up' I told them the object of body surfing is to hand them off to the next person....don't catapult them. Think of it like a waiter with a tray...hand them off.' They said 'OOOOooooo...didn't know that.' They were cool the rest of the time helping people that were body surfing....they just didn't know any better. Another example is at one stage two young idiots were picking up water bottles at the back of the crowd and chucking them into the middle of the crowd. People were getting bombed. They thought it was funny. I told them they were fucking lame and they took off... Moral of the story....step up.

26. Chapstick / Blistex - goes along with the sunscreen - your lips will get burnt and dried out...carry it with ya.

27. Tissues - take a few- with all the dust it beats sniffling hour after hour...and no one wants to see snot rockets

28. car park app - you'll thank me a 1000 x's if you just follow this one and only this one. When you leave the festival you will be messed up. Trying to remember where your car is at is a lot harder than you can imagine. First off you came in during the day...it's now night....there is no lighting in the parking lots and every car is covered in dust....so they all look the same. You will also have to walk a long distance and through other parking lots to get to the festival. MAKE THIS THE FIRST THING YOU DO WHEN YOU PARK...open the app and mark your cars position. Do it every day. It'll save you a fucking ton of time and a hell of a lot of heat...and you can shut up the drunk friend who is saying 'na dude the car is over there --->' I've seen and heard more people lost in the parking lots than I can count. Also heard a bunch of stories of people who slept on the ground because they were so messed up they couldn't find their car. Even if you have a camp spot I'd use this app....so that no matter how messed up I got I can always find my way back. I have one that puts me within 2 feet of my car, has arrows pointing the way and everything. (doesn't mean I'm the one driving) - Coachella Festival even quoted me on this one on their main handout sent out to every ticket buyer (I feel special)

29. Be ready for the early shows the next day - don't be the person the crew is waiting on because you got too fucked up the night before. Coachella is a marathon....not a sprint...re read that. If you go and get trashed you are going to miss out. If you have someone in your crew too fucked up....fuck em...take off and have fun....tell them to meet up with you at X spot later....don't feel you have to babysit them....again venturing off on your own at shows is a ton of fun.

30. Plan on not going to work on Monday...your mind and body will be T-T-t-t-trashed. You are gonna need one day to recover. To those of you who make it to work/school monday... I go, but I'm almost worthless.

31. Walkie Talkies - are a much better alternative to phones. (A new Cell Tower is being installed as we speak...phones should be a lot better)

32. If there is a band you really want to see - show up 30-40 minutes early. Every venue is going to be crowded. Especially if you are under 5'8'' you don't want to be staring at the backs of peoples heads. Thinking you and your buddies are going to squeeze past me when we are packed like sardines...not going to happen...I'm gonna give you my elbow.

33. Day 1 security is a cluster fuck (to put it nice) Expect long long long slow lines getting through security...so show up as early as you can. Last year we waited over an hour to get in and we were early.
    PLEASE COACHELLA GET A LOT MORE FUCKING SECURITY GUARDS TO GET US IN DAY 1. THERE WERE TOO MANY UNUSED LINES LAST YEAR. TO HAVE US WAITING IN THAT LONG ASS LINE WHEN YOU KNOW WE ARE COMING IS UNPROFESSIONAL. Day 2 and 3 don't matter because we all enter at different times...day 1 YOU KNOW we are coming...yet fail year after year. It's time to get it right. OPEN EVERY LANE AND THEN SOME. What's it going to cost you 30-40 more people....shit you made $65 million last year. You can afford to do it. Step the fest up where you fail and this is one area you fail. I don't mind being checked, but having to wait an hour to be checked is bull shit.

34. Car Camping - show up early as well....it's not uncommon people showing up in the evening having to wait well over 3 hours to get in. Security going into camping sounds like a pain in the ass. Some of them go through everything while others are quick. You have no say in this...so plan on it. Note: They check the CAR not YOU.....again they check the CAR not YOU ...so keep anything you don't want found ON YOU.

35. I buy three small spray bottles at the dollar store and mist myself throughout the day...keeps me cool. I find many people asking me to use it (which is fine with me). I buy three so around 4pm I can toss it and not go back to the locker.

36. Plan on cleaning your locker on Sunday when you change into your night clothes. You don't want to try cleaning it out after the final set....it's real dark in the area-easy to drop and lose items...everyone under the sun is cleaning their lockers and it's packed...plus other reasons. Take the time to clean out your locker so after the final set you can go back unlock...grab and go.

37. Glowsticks - they are found at the dollar store cheap....bring some and have fun

38. Plan a strategy for waking up each day...it's easy to say f it and sleep in to recover. Reality is if you just get up and get going to a early band you wanted to see...you'll be glad you did.

39. Don't mix - if you start with beer stay with it (best yet always get the same kind) - if you go from beer to liquor and back...your next day's gonna be hell.

40. Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance (The 6 P's)

From MANTISME
    Out of all the years I've been attending the festival, I have learned a ton!
    • WEAR SUNSCREEN!
    • Drink tons of water
    • Dont push your limits. Its a three day festival that lasts 12 hours a day... Not to mention your pre/post activities
    • Pack light, it sucks when you have a bulky backpack and want to dance but cant. I usually bring a light sweater, long socks and a pair of flexible tennis shoes. By night all you'll have is a pair of flip flops in your bag.
    • Some wet naps. Your hands will get dirty, along with other things
    • Make sure to have jumper cables, a gas can, a cooler with beer, water & juice in your car (maybe even soe munchies). You never know what can happen and having at least snacks & refreshments to hold you over until traffic dies does worlds of wonder!
    • Be mindful of enforcement when using your drugs. They are out there in full force.
    • Take care of yourself, your friends and strangers. Coachella is a great festival and looking out for each other makes it that much more amazing.

FROM CDUB
    1. Wear sunblock, as well as chapstick with SPF or your lips WILL burn.

2. Drink water and then more water.

3. Wear the comfiest shoes you can find. Closed-toe shoes are essential if you're going to try to get near the front of the stages at night, so your feet don't get stepped on.

4. Choose the right clothing: light clothing during the day, and bring long sleeves at night. (It's a desert, it can get a little chilly for some.)

5. Arrive in a good mood, this is going to be a good weekend for you.

6. Book your hotel or camping spot early. Sleeping options can often sell out more quickly than tickets.

7. Shower (please for the love of god). Your neighbors in the crowd will thank you.

8. Eat and take a break. Sit down.

9. Save drinking large amounts of alcohol till afterwards, because the sun will kill/drain you.

10. It's smart to buy the t shirts/merch you want early. They often sell out at night and the lines are very long. Locker rentals are available to keep stuff in during the day (but don't leave vinyl because it will melt).

11. Expect to wait in the morning at the entrance gate in long slow moving lines. Either arrive way early or relax and take your time.

12. Don't be a scarface and try to smuggle crazy ass drugs in there. While relatively lax, security/police do escort people out from time to time, and that would be a bummer of a weekend for you.

13. Don't "push your way" up front. This is kinda important. If there is an artist you want to see, get to that stage while the artist before is still on and just wait it out, you just may end up see something else you like too. In other words, don't be the asshole.

14. Have a physical meeting spot with your party, because your cell phone reception is spotty at best.

15. Bring sunglasses.

16. Know that you WILL miss some acts you wanna see. But do move around to the different stages and see as much as possible.

17. Expect LOTS of traffic to and from festival grounds. Have patience.

18. Buy your 3 day pass as early as you can. Coachella has sold out in the past, but not every year. Board mod Psychic Friend usually gives a warning of sorts somewhere in the message board, if things are getting close.

19. Don't lose your digital camera. In case you do lose it, to help the good folks at lost and found, you can take a photo of your contact information and have it on the camera... it could be you holding up a sign with your phone number, email, whatever.

20. Don't forget condoms.

21. Limit your time in the beer gardens. They are well away from the stages and over-priced, and you will be missing out on a ton of musical fun.

22. Get sleep.

23. Print out a set times schedule and keep it in your pocket, or save the schedule on your phone. Circle or highlight the bands you want to see so that you don't forget. (They will have printed schedules there, but sometimes it's difficult to find them so it's better to just already have one.)

24. Plan any of your tent signings early, and prepare to wait for your favorite, but don't go nuts at the signing tent, you'll miss lots of music. Artists and the signing tent run way late and there are always cancellations throughout the day.

25. Bring more cash than you think you will need.

Bonus tips:

26. When possible, don't wear a backpack. Especially in the crowds near any stage. Unless you are working, you should leave it at the hotel, tent, or even a locker. The person behind you will be glad you don't bump them every time you decide to dance a little. Plus, it's one more security check you'll have to do.

27. Hats might be a good idea for sun protection, but don't wear something obnoxiously big that will block the view for those behind you.

28. NEVER text "Where are you?" or any text that requires a response because by the time you get one, your friend won't be where they said they'd be. Text affirmative statements such as "Meet at Sahara Tent at 6:30pm" or "Meet in beer garden by main stage at 8pm". Finally, time stamp your texts because ambiguous times like "Meet me in 20 minutes" doesn't mean a damn thing.

29. Give yourself enough time to go from one side of the Polo Grounds to the other. It's a bigger area than you think, especially if you're going from the VIP or Main Stage area to the Sahara tent.

30. If you choose to write on cars in the parking lot - please - keep it on the glass, the dust will scratch most paint. You and your friends can still marvel at your jr high bathroom drawings without doing any damage to someone's car. It's a win-win.

31. Consider bringing something for chafing. You'll be doing a lot of walking around. Try Goldbond body powder, Chamois Butt'r, Monistat anti-chafing cream, or Bodyglide sticks (runners use them). Lots of men like using underarmor or other brand compression underwear. (Tip credit: PlayaDelWes, JustSteve and weeklymix)

32. Bring supplies for the portopotties: hand sanitizer, wet wipes, seat covers, p-mates for the ladies, and toilet paper can all be lifesavers because the portopoties will likely run out of supplies early in the day. (Tip credit: jlandgren and koryp)

33. If you have glasses, bring both extra contacts and contact solution as well as eye glasses. The desert air is super drying. (Tip credit: Ha.SK)

34. Bring earplugs. Your ears will thank you when you're standing right next to the speaker of an especially loud set.

35. Ibuprofen can be a lifesaver for muscle aches, accidental sunburn, or headaches.

36. Baby wipes or face wipes can help to keep you refreshed, especially to wipe off sunscreen, sweat and grime when the sun sets. (Tip credit: ivankay and whynotsmile99)

37. The toilet trailers have flushable toilets and are air conditioned.

38. If you have allergies of any kind, bring Benadryl/Claritin/Sudafed. All the dry grass and dust in the air can be a killer. (Tip credit: lizng and The Dude)

39. Consider bringing a way to recharge your cell phone. Having to constantly search for a signal will drain your battery quickly. Turn off 3G/4G/Bluetooth/Wifi unless you really need it, to save your battery. There are usually tents that offer recharging stations, but that's time taken away from listening to good music.

40. Fanny packs are super convenient for carrying stuff without getting in the way. (Tip credit: ashleysmashley and amyzzz)

41. Consider using a car finder app on your phone, or making a point of writing down directions to your car. You'd be surprised how easy it is to forget after 12 hours. (Tip credit: baily)

42. Make sure to bring any medications in their original bottles. Otherwise, security will confiscate it. (Tip credit: ChristinaStelly)

FROM SEPAGROVE
    Don't get too wasted before the fest.

If you are wasted by 2 p.m., you will not make it until the end of the night. If you do, you will be a shitfaced pile of garbage and won't remember any of the performances you saw.

Just take it easy throughout the day, have some waters in between drinks and drugs, and be responsible.

LADIES: I recommend bringing some sort of feminine cleaning wipes. My fiance can't live without them at festivals. The bathrooms are nasty, clean yourself up after you use them for god's sake.

FROM NARUTO-KENSHIN

I'd ad:
    - To tie in with the bit about bringing plenty of wet-wipes etc... Clean up after yourself if you make a mess in the porto-potties, those coming after would greatly appreciate it. Good Karma.

- No matter how cute she is please don't put her on your shoulders. SURE, she can see but it just pisses off everyone who is now staring at the back of a bitch-pole. So annoying.

FROM CHILZZZ
    Also if you're camping: Use a canopy not a tent, tents tend to trap the heat. Bring an excess of water, never hurts to have too much.

FROM CASESENSITIVE
    • After seeing the photo of lost cell phones after last year, I am going to have my husband's phone number as my background since my phone is locked. I cannot be trusted with my phone when I am not sober, so hopefully, if lost, a nice person will find it if I lose it.

• Obvs, I don't condone littering, but if you drop a water or other bottle on the ground, don't put the lid on the bottle before dropping it. I know someone who really messed up her ankle after accidentally stepping on an empty sealed water bottle.

FROM MOXIE999
    The biggest tip I have for new people going:

Don't stress out as much as you are!!! I remember my first year I was reading all these posts and making sure I brought everything that was recommended so that I'd have the best time possible ... and I didn't use half of it, haha. Of course, better to be prepared rather than not, but if you manage to get the basics to your campsite (food, water, something for shade, something to sleep on, sunscreen) then you'll have a great time. Everything else will just enhance your time there (wet wipes to stay clean, phone chargers to keep the cell going, ear plugs, etc etc)

Also, for the drinkers out there ... don't get too discouraged by anyone saying "don't get wasted" or "don't go in the beer gardens." My friends and I drink all weekend long (heavily by most standards) but it's not our sole focus of the festival. That would be my tip ... don't let drinking control what you do, but rather just let the drinking add to what your doing. I will, however, back up their point of not going too hard the first day. The first year my friends and I went we were definitely "those guys" who raged Thursday night and were getting wasted again by 8am on Friday and then weren't able to make it for the whole day. There's a fine balance point between being able to get drunk and stay drunk all day while having fun and just getting wasted. (Also, bloody's in the morning are an amazing hangover cure!)

Finally .. have FUN!!! I've seen people getting in arguments or crying and I just don't get it! What could possibly be so bad at a place as awesome as Coachella?! Nothing!! Just be cool and have a good time and you'll soon notice that 99% of everyone around you is doing the exact same thing!

FROM DJROOMBA
    Jumper Cables. Don't be like me last year and be the nice guy who lets your friends charge their cellphones in your car while reminding them to "turn the car on." Amazingly that is a difficult thing to remember when you are on acid. Finding a tow truck monday morning when all you want to do is go home and sleep sucks.
    Also tent stakes for canopies. The weekend one thursday afternoon random dust devil was awesome to watch with canopies flying 75 feet in the air but it sucks if that is your shade for the weekend or your car that it crashes back to earth on.

FROM LITHIUM
    - There are vendors at the festival who sell cold drinks. When they run out of drinks, it is your best opportunity for a free quick cold water bath of heavenly greatness. Ask them if its okay to dunk your head in the ice cold water or if they're willing to just pour it on you. Feels great on a hot day.

- Want to see the next set in a good spot? Leave 10-20 minutes, always. Don't be an asshole who pushes to the front of the crowd.

- Don't drink in the morning. Its just not a good idea.

- Showers are available, but there will always be lines. The best time to use a shower is during headliner acts. Use that as a hint as to how to take a shower with no hassle.

- Portable grills with propane are awesome, but the grills will get messy. Make sure to bring a grill cleaner and wipe it clean, or your hot dogs/burgers will taste like black coal.

- Always leave your keys and wallet in a place you can remember. That said, just take cash with you. A bulky wallet is not worth losing while dancing around.

- Want to make friends? Do it. Greet your neighbors the moment you park. Don't be a Melvin.

- As much as you would think that standing around all day watching your favorite bands in the front of the audience would be awesome, Coachella is unique in that some acts are actually better off watching from a distance while laying in the grass. Take it for what its worth, but most of the best acts I've seen were the ones where I rested my legs sitting down and listening to the music.

- Drink plenty of water.

- If you're going to bring dry ice, keep in mind that it will freeze anything that touches the bottom of the cooler. Source: my 20 beers that were frozen for three days straight.

FROM SHASTADP
    LADIES: Bring some of the AZO urinary pain relief stuff. The first aid tent DOES NOT have it, even though there are thousands upon thousands of ladies camping, sweating, not showering at all/as much as they usually do, using port-o-potties, and gettin' dirty all the time. They looked at me like I had three heads or something...even though it's got to be a fairly common problem while camping. Be careful enough not to need it...but if you don't have it and need it, you will be suuuuuuuuuper uncomfortable and in pain for some or all of the festival! Yiiiikes. Also keep away from the ants/other bugs and clean your skin riiiight away if you get bitten...I got a crazy skin infection, too!

FROM HONEYBADGERFORLIFE

1. Purchase an ez-up
    2. Purchase some tarps for above mentioned ez-up.
    3. Sleep under ez-up. No one wants to wake up at 6 a.m. cooking in their tent.
    4. Print your set list for each day.
    5. Drink a vitamin supplement in the morning to off set all the drinking, smoking and what not you are doing. Cause you should have fun but remember you probably have work next week.
    6. Bring a cooler with pre-frozen water bottles. It will make your ice go a long way.
    7. Bring separate coolers for drinks vs. food.
    8. Bring head lamps for going to the port-o-potty at night. Pissing in a dark, small, stinky room is no fun.
    9. Bring your own toilet paper, and wet wipes at ALL times, because it never fails how many times you will enter a damn port-o-potty with no supplies, and piss, shit or both on the lid.
    10. Toughen up and face the fact you are living in third world-ish conditions for the next few days. When you get home you can revel in the fact you can take a proper shower and shit.
    11. Be completely zen. You will wait to get water. You will wait to get food. You will wait to go to the bathroom. Suck it up --be glad you somehow got tickets, it's Coachella dude! Otherwise you could be spending more dough trying to get to Bonnaroo!
    12. Bring earplugs custom to your ears or submit yourself to hearing loss. Those are your only two real options. Earplugs for sleeping fuck up the sound spectrum and just make everything sound like they are muffled and fucked up. But do bring regular earplug as to sleeping. You'll feel more ready to tackle the next day.
    13. Listen to some new music. Half of the fun is knowing you wouldn't otherwise have a chance to see these bands. Get out there and at least catch a few songs.
    14. Put your phone away. You really don't need it. Wear a watch or something. Pretend it is pre-cell phone times. If you need to meet someone just name the time and place to meet. You'd be surprised how easy it is to find each other.
    15. Now that we have two weekends of Coachella it is more important to check the weather. Pack appropriately. Last year weekend one was misty, rainy, cold and windy. Weekend two was hot and dusty.
    16. Shower between sets. You won't run into crazy lines at night if you just shower during the times peeps will usually be heading out to the fields. You only really need ten minutes, right?
    17. Be nice to your neighbors, it can go a long way!
    18. Charge your phone at the appropriate charging stations instead of your car. There agree only so many sponsored car jumps coachella has, after that they will charge you and arm and a leg if your insurance won't pick up the tab. It is pretty sucky and embarrassing.
    19. Sunblock, sunblock, sunblock!
    20. Screw it dude, you're at Coachella. Everything just falls into place. Have fun.

FROM KIRBY
    if you're in a group of like 4+ and one person gets lost/separated, don't split up to try to find the person
    ADDED FROM ME- YOU'LL NEVER FIND EM AT NIGHT. Once lost - they gone.
    Buy glowsticks for night - easier to find one another. Have a meet up spot at the end...plan it early and remind everyone 'we meet here when all is said and done....we all meet here.'

additional from BAILY
    If you are drinking - it's $7 per beer - figure out your amount. We spend $70-$100 per day on beer alone...10 beers over 12 hours isn't a ton.
    Food inside - think $10 per meal - so lunch and dinner that's $20.
    water alone - $3-$4 you'll spend easily $16 per day on water
    T-shirts and other goodies- that's up to you....can get expensive

Those are typical expenses at the fest.

FROM LEYLEY
    I second the AZO! You may have never had a UTI before, but in these conditions, it's very likely to get one. I got one at Lollapalooza last year and I was MISERABLE. I couldn't even enjoy myself.. so totally bring some AZO.. even if you think you are immune, it will ruin your weekend if this happens to you and it will be worth it. Idk if it's just me, but it makes me have to pee less too.. and that's always a plus to avoid lines and nasty portapotties.
    ALSO.... please..pleaseplease.. get to the show early if you just have to be in the front. The people trying to squeeze past me in the middle of the show trying to get to the front really ruin my vibe. IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN! So if you MUST be in the front please, get to the stage early to avoid pissing everyone off and ruining the amazing experience that coachella is
    And on the backpack thing, I disagree.. I couldn't make it through a festival without my backpack. I have a small drawstring backpack, I keep everything I need in it, and the merch I buy has somewhere to go as well. I can still dance my ass off with my backpack on, and if people are close up behind me, I put the straps on my front and wear it backwards.
    And the chaffing, it happens. and it sucks, everyone will be walking along and you can't keep up because your thighs are rubbing and burning. bring some powder, or a chafe stick.

FROM MANIMCOOL
    I just bought several little boxes of electrolyte sports drink powder packets to bring into the fest to mix into my Camelbak. Thing is, each little packet (each box comes with 4 packets) is meant to be mixed with 8 oz. of water. Each box, then is meant for 32oz. My Camelbak is 50 oz.

I have a question for people that are knowledgeable on things like sports nutrition/dehydration/etc.

What would be better:
    #1 Having 6 packets (48 oz) all at once, and the rest of the day (in the fest) just refill with water?

Or is that more electrolytes/sodium/potassium/whateverisinthispowder than is necessary to drink all at once, and therefore :

#2 I just have maybe 2-3 packets (16-24 oz) worth in the full 50oz camelbak so it's more than 50% diluted, but using this method, I drink the diluted stuff all day, every camelback refill?

My instincts tell me that #2 is better, since it seems like drinking 48oz of the stuff all at once might be excessive and you'd just pee out the extra stuff (kinda like taking a ton of Vitamin C), whereas drinking diluted stuff all day will be more beneficial. But then again maybe diluted electrolyte drink is ineffective. That's why I'm asking. Full strength once or twice a day, vs. diluted all day/night. Thanks in advance to the smart people that know the answer.
    Last edited by baily; 04-15-2014 at 02:00 PM.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Default Re: 2014 First Time at Coachella Guide, Tips and Tricks

get some paper toilet seat covers and have on hand for your inevitable trips to the port a potties. sounds dumb, but you'll be stoked on it haha

here are some links I found recently that I"m using for this year's inspiration.

I'm not much of a pinterist girl, but this has some neat ideas:http://www.pinterest.com/cleanhippie...tival-camping/

this is just a bunch of how tos and tips, but it might be useful for someone: http://festivalscamping.com

and here's a simple swamp cooler you can make for $20 to keep your tent cool: http://snowcalla.livejournal.com/605173.html
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater)10/3-5 Austin City Limits

baily you should repost the tips from that thread link that a lot of people will be too lazy to click on.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

I bought a few last year way better then the blue ones I see http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Awhite%20tarps

woohoo ty for this thread..i will have something to add soon

I followed Psychic Friends advice and moved it to the top....
    Last edited by baily; 03-14-2014 at 10:15 AM.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!

Red face Re: 2014 First Time at Coachella Guide, Tips and Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post

25. If you see someone doing something way uncool...call em out on it. EX. at Cage the Elephant people were body surfing. Three meat heads - large roided up high school students came into the area by us. They were having fun. problem was they had never participated in body surfing and when people were moved up to them they tried to catapult the person to the next level. 2 people fell pretty bad...then a skinny dude came accross and the biggest of them really pushed him hard. Guy went way up and went crashing down on people and was headed face first to the ground. He ended up ok. I went over to them and said 'what's up' I told them the object of body surfing is to hand them off to the next person....don't catapult them. Think of it like a waiter with a tray...hand them off.' They said 'OOOOooooo...didn't know that.' They were cool the rest of the time helping people that were body surfing....they just didn't know any better. Another example is at one stage two young idiots were picking up water bottles at the back of the crowd and chucking them into the middle of the crowd. People were getting bombed. They thought it was funny. I told them they were fucking lame and they took off... Moral of the story....step up.
    You sir are amazing for writing up that whole thing.
    I loved this part however. I cant stand when people are idiots at festivals and everyone is to scared to say anything. Personally I'm a larger individual (without the roids ) and will always say something to anyone acting a fool around me. Don't be a douche about it, but just let them know its not the right place or they are bothering you and those around you. Ive never had a problem and usually end up making friends from it!

Thanks for that Baily

Excellent post Bailey. I want to emphasize on the "wearing wedges" part because it really does make a HUGE difference when you're wearing wedges, even if they're just 1" tall. You will not last walking all day in wedges, maybe an hour max. Wear Toms or anything with comfortable inserts because your feet will thank you. I missed several sets back in '12 since my feet pain was unbearable and this is coming from somebody with 4+ years of soccer. Stay comfty.

This is why I took an extra pair of sandals, I wore my wedges to be taller and see the stage then when it was over put my sandals on

If camping, Invest in a portable shower, I paid like 50 and it was so worth it not having to wait 3 hrs in line to take a shower on the camp grounds everyday

POW! Jimones serving knowledge

Get head lamps! They're fairly cheap & amazing when it's dark & you need to hit the port-a-potty.
    It DOES get dark, so they're a lifesaver for hands free peeing (way better than holding a flashlight/cell phone).
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

Be prepared for a SandStorm BRING TENT STAKES......

One item that I purchase last year and used during my daily ventures to the portopotties was a small bottle of air fresher. This did only mask the smell inside the portopotties but, it made the time inside bearable and a joyous experience for the other individuals after myself. Hahaha

Don't start mosh pits during EDM sets. It's not a fucking metal show.

First time at Coachella this year! Excited, but was wondering on your thoughts about Camelbaks. I have one and was planning on bringing it so that I wouldn't be dehydrated throughout the day, but I keep reading to just leave the Camelbaks/backpacks at home because of how squished it'll be when you're at a stage...

so should one be hydrated throughout the day with his Camelbak or not be able to dance because his backpack gets in the way?!

Quote Originally Posted by lildannyboi View Post
    First time at Coachella this year! Excited, but was wondering on your thoughts about Camelbaks. I have one and was planning on bringing it so that I wouldn't be dehydrated throughout the day, but I keep reading to just leave the Camelbaks/backpacks at home because of how squished it'll be when you're at a stage...

so should one be hydrated throughout the day with his Camelbak or not be able to dance because his backpack gets in the way?!
    If you're trying to get to the front of stages, it may prove a problem for yourself & those around/behind you.
    If you're into seeing sets from further back, I wouldn't worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

Note: They check the CAR not YOU.....again they check the CAR not YOU ...so keep anything you don't want found ON YOU.
    Not true. Last year there were definitely guys getting patted down in front of us. They could pat you down, but they usually do not unless you look shady or are being difficult.

Thanks Baily for posting all of this.

My tips:
    -If camping, bring zipties and duck tape. Tons of things that is can be used on.
    -Coconut water! I highly recommend it in the mornings. More electrolytes and potassium than a sports drink with less sugar and calories. One 16 once can has more potassium than 2 bananas. Last year each of us had one can of coconut water each morning. It was ice cold and everyone stayed hydrated. Personally I recommend something without additives like THIS. And last year, when I offered a couple ice cold ones to our security guard while checking into camping, they got pretty excited and just let us in. It ended any search.
    -Make sure you get a chapstick with SPF 15 in it. Burnt lips suck.

Leaving the Festival. How easy is it to get on a Shuttle Buss? If we have a pass?

it's pretty easy up until the end of the night, then you may wait in line for 20-30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by nevilledevil78 View Post
    Be prepared for a SandStorm BRING TENT STAKES......
    The funny thing is you may not need them for 3 years in a row, but the year you use em and need em...you really need them. That goes for bringing dust masks and clear goggles for night wind.

Had I brought extras I could have sold em for $20 per dust mask and $20 per goggles easily. It would have been hand over fist money.

You can get the dust masks and goggles at Home Depot for $1.00 for the masks and $2.50 for goggles. Even if you have old goggles buy new ones so you have a clear view without scratches...as they scratch up easily. If your friends don't plan, buy a few extras - worst case you return the ones not used to Home Depot for return.
    Last edited by baily; 03-14-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Had I brought extras I could have sold em for $20 per dust mask and $20 per goggles easily. It would have been hand over fist money.
    TRUTH. it'll be the last thing on your mind, but i'm bringing my old chem goggles and some custom silly dust masks i got in Japan. day 3 last year could've been 100x better with a little more desert prep, this year i won't be so foolish!

This is greatly appreciated.

What car parking app did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by cgcayetano View Post
    What car parking app did you use?
    I have Park n Find and FindMYCar

both apps are 99 cents each (I've found Park n Find to be a lot more accurate - It'll get you within 3 feet of your car)

Be sure you do it the second you park your car - before drinks or other things start to flow...and remember to do it every day as you'll park in different lots

I've laughed thinking, 'I know where I'm at...I'll have no problem getting back here.' Funny how after a full day of the fest it's easy to get turned around and crowds exit in different areas.

The parking apps have saved my ass more than once. For $1. worth every penny. The hard part is remembering to do it because you are partying and having such a good time it's easy to exit the car and space on marking your spot.
    I put a stupid post it note on my backpack so that when I leave and grab my backpack if I hadn't remembered I do so BEFORE I begin the 1 mile walk to the festival grounds.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I just bought an external battery for my phone so if it dies, I won't have to find a plug in to get a full charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

If someone tries to tap and blow, tell them to forget the tap part.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I have Park n Find and FindMYCar

both apps are 99 cents each (I've found Park n Find to be a lot more accurate - It'll get you within 3 feet of your car)

Be sure you do it the second you park your car - before drinks or other things start to flow...and remember to do it every day as you'll park in different lots

I've laughed thinking, 'I know where I'm at...I'll have no problem getting back here.' Funny how after a full day of the fest it's easy to get turned around and crowds exit in different areas.

The parking apps have saved my ass more than once. For $1. worth every penny. The hard part is remembering to do it because you are partying and having such a good time it's easy to exit the car and space on marking your spot.
    I put a stupid post it note on my backpack so that when I leave and grab my backpack if I hadn't remembered I do so BEFORE I begin the 1 mile walk to the festival grounds.

THANK YOU!!!