Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10Year + club

Default 10Year + club

This is my 10th Coachella, and we all have things we've learned over the years. I think we have our trips dialed in, but does anyone have any new tips for the hardcore veterans?

Default Re: 10Year + club

Last year was my 10th in a row. The way I head into the weekend is with no schedule, I end up where I end up. It is an enjoyable way to spend a stress free weekend. I admit I am spoiled, though, with backstage rv, personal golf cart, pool access in our rv lot, etc.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 01-13-2014 at 07:40 AM.

This year will be my 10th

Have graduated from tent to car camping
    From sleeping in the car to fancy hotels in Palm Springs
    To the condo I have now across the street for the last 3 years...starting next year it's safari only

Also added a conceived kid during the festival and a half sleeve tat of the festival to celebrate said child

One of my greatest friend also sprouted from the campgrounds

agree with Steve
    Best way to go about it is blind, no matter who you are dying to see you will get sidetracked
    Last edited by footixy; 01-13-2014 at 08:52 AM.
    Papi Piratón!

This will be number 15 for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

I suck at math.
    Last edited by algunz; 01-13-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Last year was my 10th in a row. The way I head into the weekend is with no schedule, I end up where I end up. It is an enjoyable way to spend a stress free weekend. I admit I am spoiled, though, with backstage rv, personal golf cart, pool access in our rv lot, etc.
    Damn dude. That is sweet. Lets party haha.

This will be year 11 for me. I have done it all, in terms of housing accommodations. Camped off site at Salton Sea, Rented a house. Hotel. Onsite.

Onsite camping is always the way to go. you miss so much going on if you stay off site. and it is so convenient.

I'd also add to never throw away your camping list. Make copies of it and add to it every year.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Would be 10/11 if the lineups didn't go to such shit.

After 8 years, the only thing i've really changed about my readiness is...not to make a schedule (like a couple of others have said). Just going with whatever flow is the best and if you miss some acts, then catch them on their solo tours.
    Also, having a car camping spot to go along with a hotel/house is the way to go.

This is year 14. I have never camped and have stayed at Indian Palms the last 6 years. Unfortunately the past 3 years have proven to be rather frustrating for those of us who have put in the years and the planning, because they have made biking and walking in a TOTAL pain in the ass. I look forward to this year immensely, but this will likely be my last year.

This will be my 8th but my first was in 02, do I count?

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Unfortunately the past 3 years have proven to be rather frustrating for those of us who have put in the years and the planning, because they have made biking and walking in a TOTAL pain in the ass. I look forward to this year immensely, but this will likely be my last year.
    Exactly! That's why I'm going safari starting next year

Wtf Gunzy, you quitting on us?

...of course you count bionik
    Papi Piratón!

We went from staying in budget hotels in Palm Springs to a condo 3 miles away for the past few years. Can't imagine any other way. I could probably pull off camping for a night, but all weekend seems brutal (unless of course I was RV camping backstage...nice, Steve!). I still love getting to the fest early each day to really check out the art and catch some really great surprise sets. And, yep, no rigid plans.

This year is #13 in a row.

Am I the only one that makes a detailed schedule? After doing my research (Youtube a couple songs from each band I'm not too familiar with), I write out my bands, times and locations on little cards for each day and cover them in clear packing tape (AKA ghetto lamination). Example from 2012 here http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...og#post2456140

^^Good, because I would have gone two other times, but didn't, due to rookie mistakes.
    I have learned to wait till March to buy a ticket if I missed/couldn't afford the sale times, and also never trust a scammer/third parties. I got scammed for sure. And save up a year in advance- I have a Coachella jar that's been with me since 2005.

I also started out tent camping, brought wheels my second time doing that, and graduated to car camping. I'd like to do a hotel, but can't afford it any time soon. Totes jealous, Steve. I did think about renting an RV though.

I learned to put my name/info on and take a picture of all my stuff in case anything gets lost. I've lost two phones, and both miraculously found their way back to me.

Against the grain, I actually over plan. A few times, big, expensive mistakes happened because I trusted strangers, or wanted to just "let it happen" and it ended up horribly (our ride to/from didn't work out, shitty neighbors, missed connections trying to see shows w friends, etc) But I've never let any disaster, no matter how bad it got ever dampen my spirits. It's always been a crazy adventure, and I have a lot of stories!

Since I am more ambitious with trying to fit in more acts than nearly all my buddies (around 20 a day!), I make my own tailored schedule on a separate piece of paper, and glue/staple it onto the regular one, and use three of them, because each day it gets soaked.

Finger lights! Bubbles! Not just for fun, but because they help you read your schedule, and find your friends!

Ditch technology! I gave that up forever ago. I'd like to use our walkie talkies I invest in every year, document everything and make fun videos with my super charged phone or camera, but... it has yet to work out. I've lost my phone, friends couldn't figure out the walkies- too many people fucking around on them anyway and friends have always lost them, batteries gave out too early.. whatever. Now I just write a great review as soon as I get back home and hope to find good pictures from others that have better luck. I'm an expert in photobombing now though!

I am a stellar stasher. But those are my secrets, you can't have them.

Lastly, I try not to get too enthralled in the rumors/gossip/predictions threads because it ruined the surprise this year, and therefore ruins the spirit. I'm sure I would have been way more stoked if I didn't know anything, and while this may be my most successful year because I FINALLY found other buddies to hang with, it's not my favorite line-up by a long shot.

I too, may stop Coachella for a bit and try other, smaller, cheaper fests to try and recreate that heroine-like euphoria that is your first enchantment when walking into a new fest. Right now, Psych Fest, FFF ATP and Primavera Sound are all winking at me something fierce. Who knows.
    Last edited by djbionik; 01-13-2014 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meyouseek View Post
    This year is #13 in a row.

Am I the only one that makes a detailed schedule? After doing my research (Youtube a couple songs from each band I'm not too familiar with), I write out my bands, times and locations on little cards for each day and cover them in clear packing tape (AKA ghetto lamination). Example from 2012 here http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...og#post2456140
    YES! I do that too! Except the lamination is one I haven't thought, of, that's smart!

2014 is Coachella number 10/year 9 for me.

I look forward to this year immensely, but this will likely be my last year.
    if this is true, I may need to attend a meetup.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater)10/3-5 Austin City Limits

This will be my 10th year in a row, the friend who convinced me to go in 2004 is coming back with me this year... that year we showed up with no tickets and slept in the car, now we rent a house a mile away from the polo fields.

Also, last year was my first time venturing over to the car campgrounds. Got to roll there with Psychic and several others around 2 in the morning. Oh my it was insane, just going off. Pretty much confirmed there is no way I could do it, haha.

This is year 14. I have never camped and have stayed at Indian Palms the last 6 years. Unfortunately the past 3 years have proven to be rather frustrating for those of us who have put in the years and the planning, because they have made biking and walking in a TOTAL pain in the ass. I look forward to this year immensely, but this will likely be my last year.
    You say this every year. Knock it off. You may take a year off but I highly, highly doubt this your last year.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 01-14-2014 at 09:25 AM.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

My 10th this year. (I skipped 06 because Bonnaroo had Radiohead and Sonic Youth and Elvis Costello and Beck, while Coachella had Daft Punk and Madonna).

At some point I should do a Top 10 Best Moments At Coachella list.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

This will be #14 for me, I only missed '01 and '02 since I was still slinging mixtapes every weekend at raves back then. I don't see myself skipping any year in the future.

This will be year 11 for me (13 times total, I go both weekends). Its been an utterly blissful experience and always a highlight of the year. I agree with Gunz's frustrations on the pain that it is getting to be walking/biking in, but it is SO much more preferable to being stuck in traffic post-show. Staying at nearby condos with hot tub/pools is an absolute must for keeping the old body in shape to run around all weekend.

No end in sight...
    I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

# 10 for me since 2004. I missed 2010. Still love every moment.

Unfortunately the past 3 years have proven to be rather frustrating for those of us who have put in the years and the planning, because they have made biking and walking in a TOTAL pain in the ass.
    THIS. Indian Palms used to be 15 minutes door to gate. Now it's 45 min to an hour. I will say, however, that after last year in the La Quinta shuttle wilderness that IP still beats even the closest shuttle. (Although a friend who stayed sober and drove each found that day parking is now easier than it's ever been).

It would really be great if GV would put a little more effort into that path, as well as made the first north gate / shuttle gate a little bigger to accommodate all the people flooding in. (Speaking of, time to resurrect my thread on that topic)

This will be year 11 (all in a row) for me. Every year the Safari tents are tempting but it's hard to walk away from your friends and a house that's under $200/person for the whole weekend. Also every year I want to visit the campground on Thursday night via bike, but it has yet to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    You say this every year. Knock it off. You may take a year off but I highly, highly doubt this your last year.
    This is probably true, but I will DEFINITELY not be going in '15. The only thing that would get me there would be if Jamiroquai and Royksopp played and that will never happen.

10th year for me. House rental is definitely the way to go.

This is my 9th year going to Coachella (consecutively)... BUT I went to both weekends in 2012 so that would technically make this my 10th Coachella.

Camping every year

X-D
    Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    it's like, at coachella, we can be a whole group of friends. a whole group of frogs jumping into the streets, jumping into the planet, climbing up the buildings, swimming in the lakes and in the bathtubs. we would be hundreds, thousands, millions. the biggest group of friends the world has ever seen, jumping and laughing forever. it would be great, right?
    Coachella 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012x2

This year will be my 18th and 19th Coachellas. The only one i have not been a part of is the Jamaican leg of the cruises. In that time i have been lucky enough to become one of the photographers for Goldenvoice since 2007. i know that would never have happened if it weren't for this message board giving me a place to share. Thanks pals. i love all the friends i have been able to make in this small corner of the inter tubes. In 99 i stayed in the shittiest motel i ever stayed at in my life. Since then i spent a few years at the Best Western, a couple at Indian Palms, a couple at a house in Palm Springs and for the past few years in whatever house GV puts the friend with psychic abilities in (with a trusty air mattress and some attempt to muffle my snoring). i have never camped, but have spent plenty of times in the camp grounds taking pictures of the good times. At this age in my life, i have been encountering more than a few deaths of good friends and now treat every Coachella as if it will be my last. i do not intend on my attendance stopping unless the universe tells me otherwise one way or another. The universe has hinted through funerals, weddings and physical discomfort, but those have not been solid enough reasons to keep me away from the Polo Fields in April. my favorite Coachella is still 2008. my least favorite was probably 2012 even though i still loved it. That was the one where i thought i would stop taking pictures in an official capacity for a variety of reasons. Thankfully the cruise pumped me up again and i am really excited about 2014.

Number 12/13 for me.

"The Most Uneducated City in America" of 2008

Quote Originally Posted by djbionik View Post
    This will be my 8th but my first was in 02, do I count?
    This will also be my 8th. It would have been my 10th in a row if I hadn't missed out on '11 & '12. I was a sad dad in 2011 & 2012.
    your ≠ you're

[boarderwoozel3] dying or tim & eric
    [boarderwoozel3] I'll take dying