Page 12 of 92 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: FYF 2014

Default Re: FYF 2014

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    My god I hope they're better than they were W1 last year. Hakuna. Matata!
    I had not. Was not a big fan but wanted to be wowed into being one. The opposite happened, but I'd be willing to give them another shot because their records are good.
    That's surprising to hear. I remember watching the live stream for Weekend 1 and thought they were fantastic. However, I then saw them Weekend 2 and was a bit underwhelmed because their weekend 1 performance was so great on the webcast.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I don't really like Modest Mouse, but there are generally several really good bands on at the same time at FYF so that shouldn't matter.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

It was my first time seeing them, and that went down as one of my favorite sets of the weekend. I can understand how the tangents/weirdness of it all could have put people off, but I was super into it.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

the reason i switched to wknd 2 this past year is because i was jealous of their wknd 2 setlist.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I had not. Was not a big fan but wanted to be wowed into being one. The opposite happened, but I'd be willing to give them another shot because their records are good.
    however if you want to be wowed, see a club show. isaac hates festivals, and that wasn't the first time i've seen him troll a crowd/the organizers.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    however if you want to be wowed, see a club show. isaac hates festivals, and that wasn't the first time i've seen him troll a crowd/the organizers.
    I saw them at the US Open of Surfing at Huntington Beach last year. They played almost exclusively off of their first few albums, didn't speak to the crowd once, didn't play Float On and no encore. I thought it was amazing but the audience was not feeling it at all, so I can see where you're coming from with this.

in 2010 they headlined pitchfork. he spent a good minute yelling at the audience for spending $4 on a bottle of water at the festival (it was about 100 that day). i don't know why he agrees to book festivals. it's obvious most people just want to hear float on and nothing pre- good news and it pisses him off. at coachella the crowd's biggest reaction was for him drinking his beer. there's definitely some kind of disconnect.

Do they have a really loose definition of "downtown" or is it actually taking place there...

*based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    Do they have a really loose definition of "downtown" or is it actually taking place there...
    USC is often considered "Downtown," but I definitely take your point and would agree that, at least that portion of the campus, is more South LA. Really more than anything I just consider that area to be "USC."

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    however if you want to be wowed, see a club show.
    Only saw Modest Mouse at W1 last year, but this was my reaction to the set. They had a lot of fun and I had some with them, but it seems like these guys need to be on their own wavelength to function on stage.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post

1/7 of the acts have names related to pandas, panthers, or pantha.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    USC is often considered "Downtown," but I definitely take your point and would agree that, at least that portion of the campus, is more South LA. Really more than anything I just consider that area to be "USC."
    South L.A. is like Downey and South Gate. USC very much falls into the Downtown area designation.

And the hotel to stay at is the Vagabond on Figueroa. Its where everyone stayed for Daft Punk in 2007 and all those Hard events at The Shrine.
    Last edited by superfan; 05-01-2014 at 08:00 PM.

It is absolutely the beginning of South L.A. 110 and 10 are borders for Downtown L.A. But it's close enough to Downtown that it's not a bad description. Though perhaps that's not where it's going to be after all.

last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Yeah, still hoping against Expo Park.

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    South L.A. is like Downey and South Gate. USC very much falls into the Downtown area designation.

And the hotel to stay at is the Vagabond on Figueroa. Its where everyone stayed for Daft Punk in 2007 and all those Hard events at The Shrine.
    That's an expansive definition of downtown. I work downtown on 1st and Fig and consider that the border. To me downtown is the triangle bordered by the 10, 110 and 5
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Any chance we get the war on drugs?
    The Replacements --> The Knife --> Outkast

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpie View Post
    Any chance we get the war on drugs?
    This would make me very happy.

So everyone is getting all border offended again? This isnt like the people in Silverlake who are banning the term "east side" cause they think their geography is somehow superior.

Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    So everyone is getting all border offended again? This isnt like the people in Silverlake who are banning the term "east side" cause they think their geography is somehow superior.
    This isn't like that at all. These are the actual definitions. Look at a map.
    last.fm

This year seems likely to be Pitchfork Best New Albums picks of 2014 (minus Beyonce)...

Ought
    Todd Terje
    Mac DeMarco
    Cloud Nothings
    The War On Drugs
    Perfect Pussy
    Real Estate
    St. Vincent
    Angel Olsen
    Sun Kil Moon

I bet at least half of these are gonna be on the lineup.

Also, what are the odds of Built to Spill? I've been dying to see them and they would be perfect for FYF.

Are NMH and Modest Mouse really the rumors for headliners (with possibly maybe the Replacements)? I guess that's decent, but I personally would love to see Animal Collective get one of the slots. Really hope Slint is there though. Also really hope this shit ain't at USC or that coliseum, because seriously fuck that.

Animal collective or Avey Tares Slasher Flicks would be cool. Doesn't NMH's date at the bowl kind of diminish their chances of playing FYF?
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by Albiedamned View Post
    This year seems likely to be Pitchfork Best New Albums picks of 2014 (minus Beyonce)...

Ought
    Todd Terje
    Mac DeMarco
    Cloud Nothings
    The War On Drugs
    Perfect Pussy
    Real Estate
    St. Vincent
    Angel Olsen
    Sun Kil Moon

I bet at least half of these are gonna be on the lineup.

Also, what are the odds of Built to Spill? I've been dying to see them and they would be perfect for FYF.
    St Vincent is in Europe that weekend.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

With Cloud Nothings playing The Roxy in July, I think they are unlikely as well.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Are NMH and Modest Mouse really the rumors for headliners (with possibly maybe the Replacements)? I guess that's decent, but I personally would love to see Animal Collective get one of the slots. Really hope Slint is there though. Also really hope this shit ain't at USC or that coliseum, because seriously fuck that.
    NMH is at Hollywood Bowl on 9/18. They're also playing in Iceland on 8/20. I really doubt they'll be at FYF.

I thought it was more or less a given that Slowdive will be there. Are they not a headliner?

No, Slowdive definitely are not as well known as My Bloody Valentine, not even close.
    last.fm

I think it's strange that this year compared to previous years we don't really have any concrete idea who might headline. Last year, we knew Yeah Yeah Yeahs would be there. 2012, we knew Refused and M83 would be there. Previous year, Descendents, Death from Above 1979 and Explosions In the Sky were known well in advance. Last year had bigger names that I expected, so it makes me wonder if they knew they were going to have to scale down this year's event instead of getting slightly bigger due to the venue change anyway? I haven't seen them peep much about it on social media either.

As for headliner talk, only names I'm seeing thrown around here that makes sense are Modest Mouse and the Replacements. Modest Mouse has been booking festival dates and show dates along the east coast with Brand New, so I'd put their name down as expected as well if they end up on the lineup.

Fucked Up and Tijuana Panthers seem like a foregone conclusion based on their Glasshouse date.

Future Islands has to be there since this is their big breakout year and FYF has championed them from the start.

After going to FYF for the past few years, it does get kinda boring seeing the same middle-low card bands recycled every two years, though. As much as I love the following bands, I'd rather not see Touche Amore, Title Fight and Joyce Manor on it again, but then that just makes believe they'll turn to their other standbys of Ceremony and OFF! for the third or fourth time to cater to those genres. Again, Fucked Up, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    With Cloud Nothings playing The Roxy in July, I think they are unlikely as well.
    FYF is promoting the show though, does that mean anything? Roxy is pretty small too, I feel they deserve the festival spot.

Quote Originally Posted by pablomoney View Post
    I think it's strange that this year compared to previous years we don't really have any concrete idea who might headline. Last year, we knew Yeah Yeah Yeahs would be there. 2012, we knew Refused and M83 would be there. Previous year, Descendents, Death from Above 1979 and Explosions In the Sky were known well in advance. Last year had bigger names that I expected, so it makes me wonder if they knew they were going to have to scale down this year's event instead of getting slightly bigger due to the venue change anyway? I haven't seen them peep much about it on social media either.

As for headliner talk, only names I'm seeing thrown around here that makes sense are Modest Mouse and the Replacements. Modest Mouse has been booking festival dates and show dates along the east coast with Brand New, so I'd put their name down as expected as well if they end up on the lineup.

Fucked Up and Tijuana Panthers seem like a foregone conclusion based on their Glasshouse date.

Future Islands has to be there since this is their big breakout year and FYF has championed them from the start.

After going to FYF for the past few years, it does get kinda boring seeing the same middle-low card bands recycled every two years, though. As much as I love the following bands, I'd rather not see Touche Amore, Title Fight and Joyce Manor on it again, but then that just makes believe they'll turn to their other standbys of Ceremony and OFF! for the third or fourth time to cater to those genres. Again, Fucked Up, too.
    I feel like it's pretty likely The Replacements, Interpol and Modest Mouse look to be the headliners/top names. Anything as big/bigger will be a surprise.

And speaking of FYF's tendencies to recycle acts, who wants to bet $$$ Simian Mobile Disco is there yet again