Page 90 of 92 FirstFirst ... 8586878889909192 LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 2755

Thread: FYF 2014

Default Re: FYF 2014

Quote Originally Posted by AeroplaneJunkie View Post
    i dont get the hate for Joyce Manor on this board
    that's ok. i feel like i'm one of the only people here who just doesn't get the darkside hype. saw them back in january and it was a snoozefest. the reviews others were posting had me thinking i either wasn't at the same show or wasn't on the same drugs as everyone else. they aren't horrible, they just aren't nearly as interesting as people are making them out to be imo. the mirror was cool though. it should become sentient and start it's own band since it already has a built in following.

oh yea and the opener for that january show was one of the most agonizing sets i've had to sit though in quite a while: noodley saxophone train to nowheretown that just dragged on and on and on...
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AeroplaneJunkie View Post
    i dont get the hate for Joyce Manor on this board
    then again, I have a bias since they're one of my favorite bands.
    We don't hate Joyce Manor, we hate you.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    what about the place they held HARD at this year, whittier narrows recreation area? i've never been and i haven't read reports about this year's HARD but i imagine if it worked for them it could work for FYF. yea, it's not really in downtown LA but if they insist on going full mainstream with top tier acts then that's their own fault for limiting their options. i just hope we don't have another parking lot fest next year.
    It would of been worse there, I drove by and I dont think hard summer had even half as many people as FYF this year. I heard the parking and leaving the area sucked and noise curfew was at 11pm. Havent heard if there using the venue again for Day of the Dead or any other future events.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cydewonder View Post
    It would of been worse there, I drove by and I dont think hard summer had even half as many people as FYF this year. I heard the parking and leaving the area sucked and noise curfew was at 11pm. Havent heard if there using the venue again for Day of the Dead or any other future events.
    Wow.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    that's ok. i feel like i'm one of the only people here who just doesn't get the darkside hype. saw them back in january and it was a snoozefest. the reviews others were posting had me thinking i either wasn't at the same show or wasn't on the same drugs as everyone else. they aren't horrible, they just aren't nearly as interesting as people are making them out to be imo. the mirror was cool though. it should become sentient and start it's own band since it already has a built in following.

oh yea and the opener for that january show was one of the most agonizing sets i've had to sit though in quite a while: noodley saxophone train to nowheretown that just dragged on and on and on...
    I'm kinda with you. I sampled them for about 20 minutes to see what the fuss was about. It was interesting and you can tell they are talented but it didn't hold me. I did like the cylinder laser, though. Maybe it was fatigue from all the logistical hassles, being old or just being a guitar guy at heart.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cydewonder View Post
    Day of The Dead is in Pomona, so no. But theyre probably going to evaluate everything for next year when the park re opens and they apply for a permit to have Summer back there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    There's not much hate for Joyce Manor on this board, it's more people giving you a hard time because you mention that they're your favorite band every single time you come into this thread. Glad the set was good though.
    I more thought it was because, while good, Joyce Manor isn't on the same level as Slint, so there was really no reason to see them at FYF.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Anyone notice "Beautiful Life" by Dewey Cox was played on the main stage after the Strokes.

I thought that was neat.

I just saw per the FYF facebook page that they are bringing Angel Olsen back to LA in December and Caribou back to LA in February.

And something about how they'll be giving out free sunscreen next year.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I LOVED FYF this year, I was able to get the setlist for both the Strokes and for Slowdive. Two keepers there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    The line in is fucking ridiculous. Probably gonna miss Slint at this rate.
    That is why I get in line at 7AM, and I was NOT the first person in line.

Quote Originally Posted by thepiratepenguin View Post
    FYF knew they fucked up Saturday, and I assume Sean was both disappointed and angry too. But even with everything they improved Sunday (i.e. all of it), I still missed my toxic cloud of dust in LA State Park, something I didn't think would happen. Ah well, next year.

I heard the Strokes crowd was murderous up front, so I'm glad I played it safe from a distance, but I was also too damn tired to give them my full attention. Chilling in the arena seating was pretty great, though Les Sins wasn't really my thing even though I dig Toro Y Moi. I made a last-minute decision to skip Built to Spill because my feet were killing me and I didn't want to do that damn walk to the lawn and back again. Unfortunate, but at least I ended up getting a kick-ass tri-tip sandwich during then.

Seriously, not only did probably 10% of attendees have one, but it was the same damn shirt.
    I have never had to duck so many times during the Strokes set because the crowd surfing never seemed to end.

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I LOVED FYF this year, I was able to get the setlist for both the Strokes and for Slowdive. Two keepers there.
    Were there any songs on The Strokes setlist that they didnt play?
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Also, this:

What band was that taken during?

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    I really did have too much stout, then.
    Actually, Stout is my favorite burger restaurant in L.A., there is one in Hollywood and one in Studio City.

Quote Originally Posted by birdiearch View Post
    I think I might've ridden the metro with him Sunday night. Heh.
    Travel smart: take Metro, but for a better Metro, join the Bus Riders union, not the wimpy Southern California Transit Advocates or the Transit Coalition. Only the BRU has successfully sued MTA to keep fares down and not cut lines during the famous consent decree. That consent decree should have been renewed.

What band was that taken during?
    Ask one of those corporate photographers.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Were there any songs on The Strokes setlist that they didnt play?
    Here is the Strokes setlist:
    Barely Legal
    Welcome to Japan
    Killing Lies
    OWT
    Automatic Stop
    The End has no End
    Razorblade
    Machu Pichu
    Under Control
    12:51
    YOLO
    Heart in a Cage
    Tap Out
    SOmeday
    Hard to Explain
    NYC Cops
    Mama Loves her Baby Blues
    Reptilia

I think it is not totally accurate because I recall them playing 17 songs. This setlist has 18 songs.
    Here is the Slowdive setlist:

Slowdive
    Avalyn
    Catch the Breeze
    Crazy for You
    Machine Gun
    Souvlaki
    When the Sun Hit
    Alison
    She Calls
    Goldenhair

My favorite band performances for FYF:
    1. a TIE between the Strokes and Slowdive, I cannot decide, and that is a rarity
    2. Real Estate
    3. HAIM
    4. Mac Demarco
    5. Tycho
    Slowdive and the Strokes were both epic and flawless. Slowdive made me cry, and I have waited 22 years to see them, I last saw Slowdive open for Ride in the spring of 1992 at the old Anaconda nightclub in Isla Vista. The Strokes were flawless and on target, probably their best performance I have seen by them, and I have seen them 9 times so far.

As for future FYFs, I will continue to go, but I prefer Chinatown to Exposition Park, the stages this year were too far to run too. I get in line early to avoid the later waiting in line for hours bullshit.

What does it matter where the festival is held if you just run in and rail it on a single stage all day?

I prefer Echo Park to Chinatown.

Here is the Strokes setlist:

Tap Out
    DAMMIT. My fav new song of theres
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    On a lighter not, Jorge was dancing with this couple during Daphni (while drunk) and thought it was me and Heatehr. When he realized they just doppelgangers, he asked to snap a photo. Pretty fucking funny.

This is really fucking funny.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I more thought it was because, while good, Joyce Manor isn't on the same level as Slint, so there was really no reason to see them at FYF.
    Now that I've seen Slint, I have to agree. I like Joyce Manor ok and was planning to see them. But after seeing TallGuy's post about Slint in Upcoming Shows and running into Drinkey (who was decidedly going to Slint) I opted to go see them instead. Thank fuk I did- Slint were excellent! I loved the set. Need to see them again soon.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Now that I've seen Slint, I have to agree. I like Joyce Manor ok and was planning to see them. But after seeing TallGuy's post about Slint in Upcoming Shows and running into Drinkey (who was decidedly going to Slint) I opted to go see them instead. Thank fuk I did- Slint were excellent! I loved the set. Need to see them again soon.
    Good luck with that. They very rarely play shows. Yet another reason that everyone should have caught them.

But yeah, they're absolutely excellent live. I've seen them three times and each show was a killer.

If memory serves, a big reason for the LA State Historic Park renovation was to make it more festival-friendly, not less so. Anybody else remember hearing this, or am I remembering it wrong?

We waited for two hours in the entrance line, and were only able to catch the last 30 secs of Slint's set. Not too happy about that. I can only echo what everyone has already said about the logistical nightmares, and will have to think long and hard about whether we will return next year if it's at the same venue. Boris, Slowdive, Darkside, and FlyLo were my standouts.

And thanks to all who tried to find the Viva Pops stand. Unlike Coachella, where they have a big booth near the Sahara, at FYF they had three little mobile carts scattered over the venue. But I hope some of you were able to enjoy a pop or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    There's not much hate for Joyce Manor on this board, it's more people giving you a hard time because you mention that they're your favorite band every single time you come into this thread. Glad the set was good though.
    I am also glad that the set was good, considering that they're one of my favorite bands ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    We don't hate Joyce Manor, we hate you.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    If memory serves, a big reason for the LA State Historic Park renovation was to make it more festival-friendly, not less so. Anybody else remember hearing this, or am I remembering it wrong?
    Well, theyre adding an amphitheatre according to plans. Here is a bunch of renderings I found of what its all supposed to look like when done.