Page 89 of 92 FirstFirst ... 848586878889909192 LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 2755

Thread: FYF 2014

Default Re: FYF 2014

Also, it was a pleasure meeting everyone that I got the chance to this weekend! I totally forget everyone's names, but it was a pleasure nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    Yeah, I hadn't even thought about it really but the crowd was super fucking cool. Had more interactions with random people then I usually do and everyone was always really mellow and easy to talk to.
    FYF has always been this way the years i have gone, it's a lot like what the coachella crowd was like before the late 00s. if they insist on growing this thing into "just another LA music fest" with top tier headliners and increasing attendance (which, based on this year, seems to be the plan) then that will change as more celebutantes, casuals and #selfie #justfyfthings #excuseme4partying types show up.

Quote Originally Posted by zachb View Post
    I'm fairly certain that FYF (nor any of the other fests) will be back at LA State Historic Park. Check out the current plans for the renovation http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...e_makeover.php

I think due to the placement of trees and other park amenities, a festival the size of last year's FYF (which was almost half the size of this years) wouldn't even be possible. They need a big open field (like a polo field) and I don't think this park will work ever again, after the renovation.
    what about the place they held HARD at this year, whittier narrows recreation area? i've never been and i haven't read reports about this year's HARD but i imagine if it worked for them it could work for FYF. yea, it's not really in downtown LA but if they insist on going full mainstream with top tier acts then that's their own fault for limiting their options. i just hope we don't have another parking lot fest next year.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I think the biggest issue this year was doubling the amount of tickets sold in an untested location.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

The polar bear costume dude was there? I remember him from 2012...

Look at the Bronx's pics: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...st_2014_p.html

ps suprefan? http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...united_bl.html

9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Where's all the bootlegs?
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187

8.23 & 8.24 FYF Fest
    10.21-25 CMJ 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    The polar bear costume dude was there? I remember him from 2012...

Look at the Bronx's pics: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...st_2014_p.html

ps suprefan? http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...united_bl.html

Ok, so BV DID NOT have somebody go to Blood Brothers? WTF is up with that.

Few more, the rest later today or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by djoz187 View Post
    Where's all the bootlegs?
    lol

Statement. I'm thinking this sounds like it will stay at the same site next year.

We would like to thank you for attending FYF Fest this weekend. Things started off on Saturday afternoon with a few problems, but felt by Sunday that everyone was having a great time. I hope that felt you the same way. One issue that did come up that we would like to address this moment is that security had all attendees throw away reusable water bottles at the entrance. This is our fault for not being clear with the wording on the website and the communication with our security team. In turn, we would like anyone that had their reusable water bottle thrown away to contact us at info@fyffest.com. We are fixing one issue at a time and it is important that you, the fans know that we are acknowledging this. We have already begun planning for next year and are ready to make FYF Fest the best experience possible. And since it's “National Dog Day” I felt it's approriate to post a photo of my girl. Thank you again and see you next year. - Sean

He said more "statement" is coming later in the week (one post down on the FB page) - will be interesting to see what else they say.

7.23 - White Lung // 8.2-3 - HARD Summer // 8.7 - Jagwar Ma // 8.8 - Flume // 8.10 - Warpaint // 8.23-24 - FYF Fest // 9.5 - Feed Me // 10.8 - Kasabian // 10.12 - Speedy Ortiz // 10.25 - The Afghan Whigs // 10.31 - QotSA Halloween Show! // 4.10-12 - Coachella 2015 W1

yeah, he was responding to me calling him out. Unfortunately, every statement that does get made is going to be carefully worded PR garbage. They will never address the fact that they simply sold more tickets than the area was capable of handling.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    Tangentially... Another annoyance from the weekend: "I can't serve you whiskey unless I mix it with something"... I mean... I kind of get it... they want to keep people from doing shots... because, amateurs... but I'd have liked to just enjoy sipping on some whiskey...
    they have this same rule at Coachella. although the bartenders will serve liquor just on ice if you ask nicely, in my experience.

iLoveMakonnen - 9/27 - Catch One
    Massive Attack - 10/16 - Greek Theatre
    Afrika Bambaataa - 10/29 - Low End Theory
    Queens Of The Stone Age - 10/31 - The Forum
    OFWGKTA Carnival - 11/8
    Coachella '15 - 4/10-4/12

I like how he posted a photo of his 2nd recent dog. Since his other died when his place went up in flames. Like 2nd time is a charm.
    Last edited by getbetter; 08-26-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    yeah, he was responding to me calling him out. Unfortunately, every statement that does get made is going to be carefully worded PR garbage. They will never address the fact that they simply sold more tickets than the area was capable of handling.
    Maybe you should blame the fire marshall for approving the capacity? Thats who has the final say when this had been proposed to begin with. If they said thats all the tickets the fest could sell, thats what they did. I mean if we really want to know how to run an event there, lets ask the Olympic organizers and Insomniac. Where there was 3 times as many people in the same area. The thought process it would seem is that everything being so spread out made for less of a clusterfuck. It kinda did do that. If the arena was open all the way Saturday, there wouldnt have been an influx of people everywhere else, making it seem more crowded than it really was.
    Last edited by superfan; 08-26-2014 at 07:37 PM.

No, I should not blame the fire marshall. i should blame the people that don't care about the enjoyment of the people they are selling tickets to. I am talking about every single logistical thing about the festival that did work because of the amount of attendees there. It still seemed incredibly crowded on Sunday. I guarantee that if Saturday were exactly like Sunday, everybody would be plenty pissed about everything that happening, since they didn't have the alleviation of those really major problems to feel like a band-aid.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    how did your niece's pop sales go? I was looking for it, but never saw it. I'm sure there's a huge chunk of the fest that I never stopped by so it was probably there.
    Haha, that wasn't me either. You guys are all so sweet though!
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    I really did have too much stout, then.
    Shit, maybe I had too much and we really did meet and I have no clue? Jk, I wonder who you met, lol.
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    FYF has always been this way the years i have gone, it's a lot like what the coachella crowd was like before the late 00s. if they insist on growing this thing into "just another LA music fest" with top tier headliners and increasing attendance (which, based on this year, seems to be the plan) then that will change as more celebutantes, casuals and #selfie #justfyfthings #excuseme4partying types show up.
    That is exactly why I've gone back to FYF so many times and why I have such devotion to them. Back when it was just an Echo/Echoplex/Jensen Rec thing, it was a smallish group of very similar-minded folks who went to that and every other show in the area. As its grown bigger, those people have continued to come to the fest even as more people have arrived. It's one of the few fests where I can go without anyone and, within 10 minutes, have a group of friends around me without even trying. I didn't make it this year, and it sounds like it was something of a mess, but they do so many things right that I will continually give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Maybe you should blame the fire marshall for approving the capacity?

It's the Fire Marshall's job to figure out how many people can safely fit in an area. It is the festival organizer's job to figure out how many of those people they can accommodate while still making a positive experience for the customers and turning a profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    they have this same rule at Coachella. although the bartenders will serve liquor just on ice if you ask nicely, in my experience.
    Yeah... I've never had a problem doing this at Coachella or even FYF in the past...

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    It's one of the few fests where I can go without anyone and, within 10 minutes, have a group of friends around me without even trying. .
    This didn't happen as much as it has in the past, which was one of the biggest bummers.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's the Fire Marshall's job to figure out how many people can safely fit in an area. It is the festival organizer's job to figure out how many of those people they can accommodate while still making a positive experience for the customers and turning a profit.

Cant do one without the other.....

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    your reaction image really showed me ;-)

i dont get the hate for Joyce Manor on this board
    then again, I have a bias since they're one of my favorite bands.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroplaneJunkie View Post
    they're one of my favorite bands.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Darkside pics:

: - )

<3 ____ <3

Joyce Mehnor
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

There's not much hate for Joyce Manor on this board, it's more people giving you a hard time because you mention that they're your favorite band every single time you come into this thread. Glad the set was good though.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

There's not much hate for Joyce Manor on this board, it's more people giving you a hard time because you mention that they're your favorite band every single time you come into this thread. Glad the set was good though.
    It sounded good while standing in line on MLK and Hoover.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Caribou and Darkside will be streaming live here later: http://boilerroom.tv/session/dimensi...ening-concert/

Photos and such. Hope you like em.

http://downtownlobby.tumblr.com/post...-fyf-fest-2014