Default Re: FYF 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Laughed so hard.

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/7 Ought @ Eagle Rock Center For The Arts
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Quote Originally Posted by CaseSensitive View Post
    Aww, I didn't meet any boardies. I think you meant someone else?
    how did your niece's pop sales go? I was looking for it, but never saw it. I'm sure there's a huge chunk of the fest that I never stopped by so it was probably there.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/9 Operators@Echo - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/16 Massive Attack@Greek - 10/21 Superhumanoids - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Beach Goth@Observatory - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/28 Bear Hands@Roxy - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

Well at least some people didn't forget about the Blood Brothers Only couple more weeks till I get to see them again!

But as far as the best rock band of the weekend, they popped up about a half hour later. The Blood Brothers’ reunion show—their first gig since 2007—managed to draw an impressive crowd opposite Haim, who worked the hometown advantage. And rubberneckers had about the same reaction that Blood Brothers inspired in their heydey: What the fuck is this? The band was just as vicious and inscrutable as they were a decade previous. So while FYF was mostly the sound of what “indie rock” thinks people want, this is what it needs.
    http://pitchfork.com/features/festiv...fyf-fest-2014/

The Blood Brothers

The Blood Brothers disbanded in 2007, making their announcement that they'd play FYF this year a big deal. They did not seem out of practice, however; after powering through beloved tracks like "Set Fire to the Face on Fire," vocalists Jordan Blilie and Johnny Whitney closed the set with a giant bear hug, which seemed to indicate that the Blood Bros are as tight as ever. -Artemis Thomas-Hansard
    I'm pretty sure when I went in 2012, the capacity was less than 20,000...

40,000 attended FYF this year, not including Kimye???

http://www.laweekly.com/westcoastsou...-fyf-fest-2014

10/3 M.A.N.D.Y. @ ?
    10/4 Liars/The Blood Brothers @ Summerstage
    10/4 KiNK/Atomô/Tin Man @ Output
    10/5 The Blood Brothers @ Warsaw

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I'm glad I'm not the only who was completely miserable on Saturday.
    However, DARKSIDE and The Strokes made up for it.
    I'm a little bummed I had to sit for DARKSIDE, but whatever, I squirmed like a fool in my seat.
    Did anyone else see the dude who completely passed out and was dragged out during the start of the Strokes? :/

I'm not coming back next year; that's all I know.

Aww, I didn't meet any boardies. I think you meant someone else?
    I really did have too much stout, then.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

It's was a beautiful sight to stop my dancing to aknowledge the draw DARKSIDE had in that arena all the way up to the furthest seating. They would never have that pull at a stand alone gig of their own.
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

So sure it was nice that they fixed a lot for Sunday... but the Arena still ended up being a shit show to get in to later in the evening... thus preventing me from seeing Darkside, who were one of the two acts I most wanted to see on Sunday... And, unfortunately those two overlapped... so I could have possibly gotten down there if I went early, but would have had to sacrifice Blood Orange in the process... Don't know if it was easier for Talabot or Jamie XX... but after Darkside was a bust, we pretty much decided to leave after we caught the few minutes of HAIM my friend needed to see (was a work related thing... not out of any interest in the band or their musical output)

Also VIP was pretty much useless this year (whereas it was almost a necessity last year)... Saturday it didn't have a separate entrance at all, just a separate search line.. So you still had to go through the long assed line to get to the search tents... and while they sort of added a separate entrance on Sunday, it wasn't really needed... And just the one "VIP" area inside with super limited options...

All in all, I have to say that the most enjoyment I got out of the weekend was really driven by the crew I was with. As a result, I've pretty much decided that I am not going to go next year unless they are back at the old venue or there is someone I absolutely can not miss and would have no other chance to see on the bill.

I suppose that given the venue change and FYF's track-record the logistical nightmares were to be expected, but as others have mentioned a lot of them were really just inexcusable and rather amateurish; yes, they made some positive changes for Sunday, but those changes really should have already been in place before the fest even started. Missing Terje was a really, really big bummer, and while I'm sure it's just wishful thinking on my part I'd love for FYF/GV to bring him back to LA sometime soon for a headlining show of his own.

What was not surprising, though, was the quality of the music each day, and that's what makes me stop short of flat-out saying I won't be back if they do it there again next year. I too found the sound at each stage to be spot-on, although the vocals were a bit low for a few of the acts I caught over the two days; I also thought Slowdive could have been just a touch louder, but that's just nitpicking more than anything. Favorite sets (in no particular order) include:

Slowdive
    Built to Spill
    Kindness
    Slint
    DJ Harvey
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I'm still really happy at how great the actual make up of the crowd at FYF remained this year, everyone around me at every set was respectful and into the music.
    This x1000. If the crowd was worse Saturday could have been even more of a fucking disaster than it was and things could have gotten out of hand . Everyone just seemed to be happy to get in when they finally did.

Completely agree with everyone about the sound. Every stage sounded fantastic. With all the logistical issues the only set I missed that I wanted to see was Caribou. I got to see the full Slowdive set and the last half of Against Me! though, so I'm happy with how it all played out in the end.

Slowdive
    Slint
    Darkside
    The Blood Brothers
    Built To Spill
    Phoenix
    POTUSA
    Deafheaven
    Boris
    Future Islands

With the glittering reviews about the sound system (and justifiably so) anybody else have a problem with Earl Sweatshirt's sound? It sounded incredibly muffled and muted that I just left after a few songs.

Quote Originally Posted by stochasticism View Post
    This x1000. If the crowd was worse Saturday could have been even more of a fucking disaster than it was and things could have gotten out of hand . Everyone just seemed to be happy to get in when they finally did.
    Yeah, I hadn't even thought about it really but the crowd was super fucking cool. Had more interactions with random people then I usually do and everyone was always really mellow and easy to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by dillycup View Post
    On sunday I witnessed the random shakedowns of folks on the lawn stage and the trees, security walking through a dancing crowd looking for any person with a hint of periphenalia. During FlyLo i watched three yellow shirts approach a kid smoking, tell him to put it out, empty his pockets, open his wallet, pat him down, right in the crowd. To my knowledge any search like that can be conducted on site but not in the field in this way, would anyone else really just let one of these yellow shirt fuckheads rifle through your wallet during a set only to "let you go" after? I was never approached once during the weekend by security but what I saw them doing to other absolutely made me more cautious.
    This happened to me at POTUS. Between LA Rising and FYF, this venue's staff/security is a huge let down.

1. Slowdive
    2. Joanna Gruesome
    3. Ty Segall
    4. Built to Spill (despite Doug Martsch's voice being a bit fried)
    5. Flying Lotus

The line to get in on Saturday sucked and the walk between stages was very frustrating, but I had a great time overall. The music was awesome, the sound was nearly perfect, the stages were mostly nice once you got there, I had fun hanging with some boardies, the weather was good and it was easy to get to and from the place using public transportation. It's too bad they ran out of craft beer but at least I got to have a few good ones each day, which was way better than last year.

I agree the crowd was cool and into the music, but it's too bad so many people cut the line on Saturday. I would've gotten in a lot faster if not for that.

I'll probably go back next year.

Slowdive
    Darkside
    POTUSA
    Built to Spill
    Blood Brothers

As shitty as the venue was, almost every set had a fantastic sound.
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Also, this:

Hahahaha. I thought I saw Ken running around somewhere. Which set was this?
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by CestLaVie View Post
    With the glittering reviews about the sound system (and justifiably so) anybody else have a problem with Earl Sweatshirt's sound? It sounded incredibly muffled and muted that I just left after a few songs.
    weird. I was actually surprised by how GOOD he sounded.

Massive Attack - 10/16 - Greek Theatre
    Afrika Bambaataa - 10/29 - Low End Theory
    Queens Of The Stone Age - 10/31 - The Forum
    OFWGKTA Carnival - 11/8
    Coachella '15 - 4/10-4/12

Also, this:

I think I might've ridden the metro with him Sunday night. Heh.

What a strange sentiment. The ticket price and traveling to get there (particularly the attendees who traveled considerable distances), should be the most amount of "work" necessary to enjoy any festival.
    Maybe "forgive" is the wrong word. I'll put it this way, on Saturday at around 7pm I was certain this would be my last FYF fest. By the end of the weekend I'd seen enough great music to justify all of the hassle. It wasn't ideal or acceptable but it was the hand we were dealt, and I'm grateful that the good outweighed the bad (at least for me.) If I had to fly to LA for the festival I'd probably feel differently. Anyhow I hope you had a good weekend, all things considered. I'm pretty sure I saw you at the Holiday Inn in Westlake on Saturday night. I was going to say hi but you and your friends didn't get on the elevator I was on.

I thought Grimes' sound was pretty muddled, but that was the only set I had a sound problem with. Granted, I was really far back.

Sunday main stage aside, which was a god awful crowd, I also had good crowd experiences. The crowd pretty much made POTUSA's set for me, which could've been a disaster but ended up being extremely fun.

Quote Originally Posted by thepiratepenguin View Post
    I thought Grimes' sound was pretty muddled, but that was the only set I had a sound problem with. Granted, I was really far back.

Sunday main stage aside, which was a god awful crowd, I also had good crowd experiences. The crowd pretty much made POTUSA's set for me, which could've been a disaster but ended up being extremely fun.
    I didn't go to the mainstage at all on Sunday. Everyone that I ran into that exhibited some form of douchebaggery wouldn't shut up about The Strokes or Haim so it doesn't surprise me the crowd there was awful.

Honestly, everything I saw was very good. Here is a rough order of my favorites:

1. Slowdive/Slint
    2. Interpol
    3. Darkside
    4. Grimes
    5. The Strokes
    6. Haim
    7. Blood Brothers
    8. Joanna Gruesome
    9. Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks
    10. Real Estate/Kelela/Daphni/Daniel Avery/POTUS/John Talabot

I caught a couple songs from each of these artists who were great but I didn't see enough to include them: Phoenix, Man Man, Angel Olsen, Future Islands, Against Me!, Balance and Composure.

Overall it was a great weekend!

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    If I had to fly to LA for the festival I'd probably feel differently. Anyhow I hope you had a good weekend, all things considered. I'm pretty sure I saw you at the Holiday Inn in Westlake on Saturday night. I was going to say hi but you and your friends didn't get on the elevator I was on.
    Flying in would have been more optimal for me, we got up early Saturday morning and drove down from SF, so I think we still felt a bit unsettled coming into the festival and being faced immediately with logistical issues was a bit jarring. I had a good weekend, but I was hoping for it to at least equal how much fun I had at FYF '13 and the venue just didn't do it for me. You definitely should have said hi, you could have come over Sun morning to our room, we'd brought a bunch of SF beer down and had a nice morning of craft beers.

I didn't enjoy the Stroke's set, but the crowd area we were in on the far left side by the wall next to the risers before the sound booth was totally fine. I did think the crowd was super tepid during Blood Orange, probably because most of them were just waiting it out for Haim/The Strokes, but I didn't experience any douchebaggery/talkers during that one either.

I *believe* that picture of Ken is from Slowdive, but I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, and regarding the security presence, it definitely felt increased. I don't remember there being so many guards in front of the sound stages before, and the amount of guards there were patrolling/in front of the bathrooms of the arena was kind of comical. It wasn't at all as if this was Monster Massive or whatever.
    Last edited by guedita; 08-26-2014 at 11:42 AM.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

What a wild trip that was. Got my car towed Friday since I spent too much time in Amoeba, so the price of doing business there just went up exponentially... and then Saturday's cluster happened. All in all, Sunday was very bearable and at least they ended things on a high note.

Top 5:

Slowdive
    Darkside
    Strokes, the
    Tycho
    Little Dragon

Thanks again for the easy-to-follow directions on the EXPO line, Drinkey. Sorry we weren't able to meet up with you guys pre-fest... and during the damn thing? Forget about it, I was just happy to see more than half of the acts who I was looking forward to. Hope they move this fest somewhere else, or change a LOT of things for next year. That drudge from the Main Stage to the Lawn made it nearly impossible to plan trips to see some sets.

Yes, the Bonaventure
    Whoa, we stayed there too! 27th floor, great view, pretty fun hotel/indoor city. That place was a maze and a half. Loved the easy access to public transportation and the highways.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Quote Originally Posted by birdiearch View Post
    I'm a little bummed I had to sit for DARKSIDE, but whatever, I squirmed like a fool in my seat.
    Pretty sure you weren't required to sit in the actual seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post
    What a wild trip that was. Got my car towed Friday since I spent too much time in Amoeba, so the price of doing business there just went up exponentially... and then Saturday's cluster happened. All in all, Sunday was very bearable and at least they ended things on a high note.

Top 5:

Slowdive
    Darkside
    Strokes, the
    Tycho
    Little Dragon

Thanks again for the easy-to-follow directions on the EXPO line, Drinkey. Sorry we weren't able to meet up with you guys pre-fest... and during the damn thing? Forget about it, I was just happy to see more than half of the acts who I was looking forward to. Hope they move this fest somewhere else, or change a LOT of things for next year. That drudge from the Main Stage to the Lawn made it nearly impossible to plan trips to see some sets.

Whoa, we stayed there too! 27th floor, great view, pretty fun hotel/indoor city. That place was a maze and a half. Loved the easy access to public transportation and the highways.
    Yeah, I loved the hotel for this location. We were on the 20th floor. If it's at exposition park again next year, I'll book it again I noticed a LOT of FYF writsbands in the lobby and chatted with a few
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    Also VIP was pretty much useless this year (whereas it was almost a necessity last year)... Saturday it didn't have a separate entrance at all, just a separate search line.. So you still had to go through the long assed line to get to the search tents... and while they sort of added a separate entrance on Sunday, it wasn't really needed... And just the one "VIP" area inside with super limited options...
    Not true, there was a separate entrance, we took it on Saturday to skip the longass line. But they didn't post details about it until Sunday, and the signage in the area wasn't clear at all, even though I (and others) had asked them repeatedly via email/twitter/FB. Amateur hour.

http://fyffest.com/news/222893

I was bitching about VIP "amenities" days before the fest, and the lack of response and details should have been a warning sign that the worst was yet to come. But skipping that entry line, the sightline for the Main Stage (never would have gotten as close for the Strokes otherwise) and the shaded couch area all combined made it almost worth it. There definitely needs to be improvements made on VIP perks next year, since the experience should be better all around.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

I had an awesome time, but I hope FYF is at a different venue next year. If it's at the same place, at least create a shortcut from the Main Stage to The Lawn. That walk was ridiculous, took 15 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post
    Not true, there was a separate entrance, we took it on Saturday to skip the longass line. But they didn't post details about it until Sunday, and the signage in the area wasn't clear at all, even though I (and others) had asked them repeatedly via email/twitter/FB. Amateur hour.

http://fyffest.com/news/222893

I was bitching about VIP "amenities" days before the fest, and the lack of response and details should have been a warning sign that the worst was yet to come. But skipping that entry line, the sightline for the Main Stage (never would have gotten as close for the Strokes otherwise) and the shaded couch area all combined made it almost worth it. There definitely needs to be improvements made on VIP perks next year, since the experience should be better all around.
    I got the note about the separate entrance on Sunday and assumed that it had just been opened for that day (and then didn't bother walking to it since I walked past the main entrance and it took no time), so I stand corrected... But then, that's just yeah... further illustrating their issues. If there was signage, it wasn't obvious when walking to the festival from the metro (which would be one of the main paths people take to the gates, so you'd THINK there'd be something along that route)... I was going to head to that entrance on Sunday, just didn't see the need since there was no real line to get through that main gate...

Tangentially... Another annoyance from the weekend: "I can't serve you whiskey unless I mix it with something"... I mean... I kind of get it... they want to keep people from doing shots... because, amateurs... but I'd have liked to just enjoy sipping on some whiskey...

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Maybe "forgive" is the wrong word. I'll put it this way, on Saturday at around 7pm I was certain this would be my last FYF fest. By the end of the weekend I'd seen enough great music to justify all of the hassle. It wasn't ideal or acceptable but it was the hand we were dealt, and I'm grateful that the good outweighed the bad (at least for me.) If I had to fly to LA for the festival I'd probably feel differently. Anyhow I hope you had a good weekend, all things considered. I'm pretty sure I saw you at the Holiday Inn in Westlake on Saturday night. I was going to say hi but you and your friends didn't get on the elevator I was on.
    I was one of the friends with her! You should have said hi.

I bet I am just repeating everything that everyone else said, but the logistics nearly ruined the entire experience for me. Man Man was fun. Slint was excellent. My group decided to head over to the further craft beer section to listen to a bit of Real Estate since we had time before Todd Terje. Getting back into the arena was terrible. It was an accident waiting to happen. Then, the security basically told me I was stuck in there unless I wanted to get back in line. They wouldn't even let me smoke on the stairs. So, I said fuck it and went to see the end of Slowdive, which made me regret not watching the entire set. The last few songs sounded incredible. Tycho while drinking with friends into Grimes ended up really turning the experience around.

I didn't even bother going into the arena the rest of the night in fear that I was going to waste even more time walking all the way to the other side of the festival just to have to wait in line again.

The next day I didn't head in to the festival until a little while before Blood Orange. Great performance, but the crowd was pretty tepid. People waiting for Haim? Darkside was easy to get into if you didn't mind sitting in the very top section, but unfortunately the music lost a lot of its energy up there, so my group left early from that set. Had a few beers and then went to say goodbye to some friends at Jaime XX, which ended up being good enough to pull me in for a while.

If the line-up was incredible and they fixed issues like getting from Lawn to Main. I might consider going again. The music didn't really make up for the terrible logistics this go around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta