Page 87 of 92 FirstFirst ... 82838485868788899091 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 2755

Thread: FYF 2014

Default Re: FYF 2014

So sad I missed Todd Terje and Angel Olsen due to the logistical nightmare that was Saturday. Really hoping they go back to the park next year.

Quote Originally Posted by crazykittensmile View Post
    Really hoping they go back to the park next year.
    I'm fairly certain that FYF (nor any of the other fests) will be back at LA State Historic Park. Check out the current plans for the renovation http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...e_makeover.php

I think due to the placement of trees and other park amenities, a festival the size of last year's FYF (which was almost half the size of this years) wouldn't even be possible. They need a big open field (like a polo field) and I don't think this park will work ever again, after the renovation.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zachb View Post
    Overall it was pretty fun, but again highlighted that FYF is great at booking bands and terrible at most everything else. Also, how does GV get involved and still manage to muck it up so bad? Did they just let FYF borrow their interns? Pretty much everything that could've been done right, at little or no extra time or effort, was done wrong. Prime example: Craft beer gardens. Supposed to be 2 of them. Only 1. The 1 that actually has craft beer started running out of lots of things pretty early. Instead of crossing off the missing beers on the big chalkboard in front, they did nothing. Meaning every interaction started with "What do you have left" and then the server having to list everything.

They did have 2 craft beer gardens on Saturday, but the one by the arena was switched to a regular garden on Sunday. The main craft beer garden totally ran out of craft beer entirely by 7pm on Sunday too. Annoying.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Luckily I only went Sunday. Darkside put on a clinic on how to shine the dark.

Saturday was such a fucking buzzkill. I left Slowdive a little early to try and catch the second half of Caribou, and that took about half an hour. Glad they fixed that for Sunday but the festival still felt like one giant clusterfuck. Horrible choice for a venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    They did have 2 craft beer gardens on Saturday, but the one by the arena was switched to a regular garden on Sunday. The main craft beer garden totally ran out of craft beer entirely by 7pm on Sunday too. Annoying.
    Yeah, I made a weary, sober walk down the ramp expecting to chill with a nice IPA or Hef and was greeted with Shock Top and Stella as my only choices. Disappointed but still thirsty and not wanting to walk back up that ramp weary and sober (let alone walk to the craft beer section that now seemed to be somewhere between Fairfax and La Brea), I reluctantly relented.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Ahh, I only checked the 2nd location on Sunday. Pretty stupid to be running out of craft beer. The guy who ran it owns Tony's Darts Away. What's the downside for him in ordering too much beer? Having to sell it at his bar? Or couldn't they have Goldenroad drop off some extra kegs at some point during the fest?

Also, how does GV get involved and still manage to muck it up so bad?
    Anyone notice that the GV booth was packed up by around 7 each day? It seemed like they wanted to distance themselves completely from this shit show, despite the fact that they (the company, obviously not the interns collecting entry forms) were probably largely responsible for the poor decisions that were made.

And to everyone who intentionally cut the line, a heartfelt FUCK YOU from my four friends and I, who tried NOT being assholes and spent an extra hour or so in line while everyone who showed up after us decided they were too important to wait.

1. Darkside
    2. FlyLo
    3. Chet Faker
    4. Todd
    5. Caribou

I spent a lot of time in the arena, i left for a few minutes after Todd and quickly realized what a shitty decision that was considering how long that line was to get back in the arena. That whole bs with the arena staff telling us we "have to leave then re-enter the arena" was most likely the best example for how out of touch this staff was. Instead of indivually letting people know thay have to leave why not use the fucking a stage and let everyone know what the plan is, needless to say, these yellow shirted idiots were brushed aside by my girlfriend and I.

On sunday I witnessed the random shakedowns of folks on the lawn stage and the trees, security walking through a dancing crowd looking for any person with a hint of periphenalia. During FlyLo i watched three yellow shirts approach a kid smoking, tell him to put it out, empty his pockets, open his wallet, pat him down, right in the crowd. To my knowledge any search like that can be conducted on site but not in the field in this way, would anyone else really just let one of these yellow shirt fuckheads rifle through your wallet during a set only to "let you go" after? I was never approached once during the weekend by security but what I saw them doing to other absolutely made me more cautious.

If you missed Darkside, I'm sorry.

And the hotdog wars at the end of the night are just a sight to see.

See you next year FYF (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by blazin View Post
    Anyone notice that the GV booth was packed up by around 7 each day? It seemed like they wanted to distance themselves completely from this shit show, despite the fact that they (the company, obviously not the interns collecting entry forms) were probably largely responsible for the poor decisions that were made.

And to everyone who intentionally cut the line, a heartfelt FUCK YOU from my four friends and I, who tried NOT being assholes and spent an extra hour or so in line while everyone who showed up after us decided they were too important to wait.

I for one think i may have cut a lot of people on the first day, i parked on the main stage side and walked straight towards the entrance with a crowd not knowing that there were hundreds of people waiting around behind us. I was definetly not trying to be an asshole, a lot of peeps just didn't know what in the fuck was going on, I certainly did not.

So, heres a heartfelt SORRY.

Quote Originally Posted by dillycup View Post
    I for one think i may have cut a lot of people on the first day, i parked on the main stage side and walked straight towards the entrance with a crowd not knowing that there were hundreds of people waiting around behind us. I was definetly not trying to be an asshole, a lot of peeps just didn't know what in the fuck was going on, I certainly did not.

So, heres a heartfelt SORRY.
    It's understandable that lots of people just went with the flow, and ended up cutting inadvertently. My comment was for those who have stated that they knew about the line and were "smart enough" or whatever to avoid it by simply cutting. The venue staff is as much to blame as anyone. Our frustration was due to exiting the train at Vermont, and then walking 9/10 of a mile just to get in line and turn around to go almost back where we started to get to the security plaza, while hearing of & witnessing hundreds or thousands of people saying "fuck this, I'm not waiting."

Barely went into the arena (especially after seeing the cluster on Saturday) - to everyone who was at Darkside, I salute you, b/c I'm sure you had a great time AND Murder City Devils was wiiide open to hang at (fun set).

1. Blood Brothers (almost by default, they haven't played in 7ish years and are more vicious - to me - than a band like Deafheaven).
    2. POTUS (cannot believe I actually saw them...loved how they basically own the "we're a 90's cover band" tag - didn't stop me from getting down to Lump/Peaches/Kitty/Boll Weevil for the first and probably only time)
    3. Run the Jewels (so good, more of this at Coachella after they release the next album?)
    4. Interpol (cranked the hits, sounded great, huge crowd)
    5. Balance and Composure/La Dispute (both sounded great, solid FYF bands)
    HM: Little Dragon (only b/c I thought I would hate them but, from the craft beer garden in the back trying to avoid the heat, they were absolutely serviceable)

Daniel Avery was a nice break on Saturday as well. Slint was loud as hell. Slowdive sounded fantastic, wish I would have caught the whole set but RTJ was probably more "fun". Who am I kidding, if the lineup is good next year I will go, but will definitely remember this year and its problems.

7.23 - White Lung // 8.2-3 - HARD Summer // 8.7 - Jagwar Ma // 8.8 - Flume // 8.10 - Warpaint // 8.23-24 - FYF Fest // 9.5 - Feed Me // 10.8 - Kasabian // 10.12 - Speedy Ortiz // 10.25 - The Afghan Whigs // 10.31 - QotSA Halloween Show! // 4.10-12 - Coachella 2015 W1

1. Darkside

2. Slowdive
    3. Strokes
    4. Phoenix
    5. POTUSA

Pros:
    - The Arena looked awesome.
    - The sound on every stage was near perfect.
    - Fun crowd. Mostly everyone I encountered was friendly and just wanted to have a good time.
    - Darkside's set. Top 3 live sets I've ever seen.
    - Goddamn Slowdive sounded awesome.

Cons:
    - Who made the Hitler Youth in charge of security? Saturday's security checks were among the worst I've ever had.
    - Logistic issues. Stages were too far apart.
    - Getting into the Arena.
    - Where was the free ice cream?
    - The fest felt overcrowded.

Overall, I had an awesome time and I can't wait to see what next year FYF has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by blazin View Post
    It's understandable that lots of people just went with the flow, and ended up cutting inadvertently. My comment was for those who have stated that they knew about the line and were "smart enough" or whatever to avoid it by simply cutting. The venue staff is as much to blame as anyone. Our frustration was due to exiting the train at Vermont, and then walking 9/10 of a mile just to get in line and turn around to go almost back where we started to get to the security plaza, while hearing of & witnessing hundreds or thousands of people saying "fuck this, I'm not waiting."
    hope you still had a good weekend brother, no matter how much incompetency was forced upon you by the wretched fyf staff

Quote Originally Posted by AeroplaneJunkie View Post
    My top 5 sets of the weekend:
    1. Built To Spill
    2. Ty Segall
    3. Future Islands
    4. Thundercat
    5. Joyce Manor

honorable mentions: Balance and Composure, Earl Sweatshirt, Twin Peaks, Boris
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm fairly certain that FYF (nor any of the other fests) will be back at LA State Historic Park. Check out the current plans for the renovation http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...e_makeover.php

I think due to the placement of trees and other park amenities, a festival the size of last year's FYF (which was almost half the size of this years) wouldn't even be possible. They need a big open field (like a polo field) and I don't think this park will work ever again, after the renovation.
    Well boo Is there another spot that would be suitable in or around downtown? I'm not that familiar with the area.

On Sunday was anyone forced to throw away their BRAND NEW, SEALED bottle of water that was just handed to them less than 5 minutes prior by the FYF staff themselves? I drank mine before getting to the gate but the person in front of me didn't and was asked to throw his away. I took it from the security guard before he threw it away and drank the whole thing while i was getting patted down because I hate seeing things get wasted like that... definitely regretted that decision about an hour later but WTF.

Sunday was miles better than Saturday, but having this be my first FYF, I'm not automatically sold on going again next year. The line-up was so solid, but really stage placements and the arena mishandling was such an issue. I felt so exhausted by the end of both nights, which I think can be attributed to the Lawn > Main > Lawn marathon walks.

Once inside though, the arena was probably my favorite stage. Some acts just lend themselves well to dark and atmospheric environments, and obviously having this as a temporary venue, this type of production won't be recreated in future iterations of the festival.
    I was hardcore dozing off in the seated section on Sunday during Les Sins though. Something about a nice cushy seat in a cool environment was so conducive for nap time.

Also:
    1) Slowdive - This was my everything-is-coming-together-moment of the fest. The music, the lighting, everything framed by dusk and that hint of a cool breeze cutting through the air, Machine Gun playing. Despite all the tomfoolery of Saturday, this was that little diamond in the rough. Some sets you watch you forget immediately, but this will be etched for a while in my head.
    2) Blood Orange - Perfectly timed as well. Devonte Hynes is the shit. Probably one of the last Blood Orange sets in a while, comparable to the first time I caught them at GAMH, which is to say, fantastic.
    3) FlyLo - Unexpectedly, this was also pretty fucking rad.
    4) Tycho - Always goes down so smoove.
    5) Slint - Washer. That is all.

HM: Ryan Hemsworth. Also Jessy Lanza and Kelela repped that nu-RB thing going on a la Banks and FKA. Shout-out to Kelela who said a year and a half ago she was selling Solar at a call center in the Valley.

I drove in both days and ponied up the $20 at Parking Structure A at USC (36th and Vermont-ish). No problems both days.

1. Presidents of the United States of America
    2. DARKSIDE
    3. Ty Segall
    4. Blood Brothers
    5. The Bronx

HM: Joyce Manor, Slowdive, Joanna Gruesome, Against Me!

Angel Olsen was excellent but she didn't play any of my favorite songs from the new album. I thought the Trees stage was by far the best of the weekend, it was the only stage that really felt like the old FYF. On Saturday I had almost given up on the festival completely, I was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly everything ran on Sunday. The sound was really great at every stage, the only set that had problems was Deafheaven, which was terrible.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    They made us work for it, but the music was fantastic so I'm willing to forgive the other bullshit.
    What a strange sentiment. The ticket price and traveling to get there (particularly the attendees who traveled considerable distances), should be the most amount of "work" necessary to enjoy any festival. And I agree with Drinkey re: forgiveness/"acceptable" just because they fixed things Sunday that should have already been in place in Saturday. And the craft beer garden running out of beer on Sunday sucked, we walked all the way over there at 9:00 for nothing. I wish I had ran into more friends and boardies and agree that the layout made it far more difficult for random run-ins. The increased capacity/size was a bit overwhelming for me, it felt like a LOT of people. Personally, I feel like a need a strong aesthetic reward for dealing with larger festivals/crowds: at Coachella you've got the sunsets and palm trees, at OSL you're in gorgeous GG park, and at LA Historic Park last year seeing the sunset over the LA city skyline during Deerhunter is one of my most memorable festival moments. I didn't have anything like that at the new location this year.

I'm still really happy at how great the actual make up of the crowd at FYF remained this year, everyone around me at every set was respectful and into the music. Grimes, Slowdive, and Daphni were the stand out acts for me this year. Todd Terje was good, but I enjoyed his set at Movement in 2012 more. Daniel Avery was a total disappointing snooze and I got into Darkside late and was up at the top row of seats so I wasn't really able to get into the groove. I wish I had ventured back over to the arena for the end of Caribou and Four Tet but the entire Todd debacle left me completely unmotivated. Oh, and the partial sets I saw of Slint, Presidents, and DJ Harvey were all really good as well. No doubt it's a well curated festival with fantastic sound and top notch performances, but that doesn't at all excuse its logistical flaws. I can't see myself returning if it's at the same venue.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I like how the 'Mac Demarco' hat has officially become the look of choice amongst the youth. It's the new Indian headrest. If I had a nickel for every time I spotted a kid with this look...
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

Quote Originally Posted by ballroomdancer22 View Post
    It's the new Indian headrest.
    ?

9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Holy shit bahahahaha
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I like how the 'Mac Demarco' hat has officially become the look of choice amongst the youth.
    He really pulls it off:

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I like how the 'Mac Demarco' hat has officially become the look of choice amongst the youth. It's the new Indian headrest. If I had a nickel for every time I spotted a kid with this look...
    Completely agree.

Rough year this year... The venue was a complete nightmare. I hope they figure out a new place to have the fest or I doubt I make it back. I had a great time on Sunday but Saturday was a complete shitshow. The walk from the Lawn to the Arena was terrible. I left at about 11:20 each day to beat the massive crowds and because I didn't feel like walking back over to the other side of the venue.

1. Darkside - ridiculous set. Got on the floor at the end of Daniel Avery (who I thought sounded great for the 10 minutes I heard). But yeah Darkside was too good I was getting down.
    2. Kindness - I definitely expected to love this set but they blew away expectations.
    3. Flying Lotus - New stuff sounded insane, visuals were out of control.
    4. Run the Jewels - They're just too good. I can't wait for the new album.
    5. Boris - Never seen them before. Them and RTJ pretty much saved Saturday.

All in all I had a good time and the crowds were all very respectful and quiet for the most part. People were getting down for Darkside and FlyLo which was good to see. Not so much at Kindness but I think most of the people in the front were there for Mac Demarco. I thought he was whatever. I thought I would dig it live but after the groovy shit Kindess was throwing down I couldn't get into it at all.

Also, this:

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

the guy on the left is wondering if Ken is having an orgasm or tripping. Love it
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    It was nice you finally, Jorge, CaseSensitive and Drinkey. My son and I sat with one other very nice boardie and his equally nice friends, but his user name (and real name) drowned in the stout that was 5th on the lineup that afternoon.
    Aww, I didn't meet any boardies. I think you meant someone else?
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Why is Ken the only person in that photo who isn't Asian?

1. Slowdive
    2. Strokes
    3. Slint
    4. Earl Sweatshirt
    5. Les Sins
    6. Avey Tare
    7. Built to Spill
    8. Interpol
    9. Future Islands
    10. Daphni
    Last edited by corbo; 08-25-2014 at 11:10 PM.