Thread: FYF 2014

Default Re: FYF 2014

1.Slint
    2.Slowdive
    3.DARKSIDE
    4.The Strokes
    5. Jamie xx

Honorable mentions: Built to Spill, DJ Harvey
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    how did I not ask for today off? fml...
    Right there with ya. I normally show better judgment... normally. Hell, I didn't even drink much yesterday, I'm just plain sore- my dogs are barkin!

Good performances yesterday from The Blood Brothers and Darkside. Glad most of the major issues from the day before were fixed. But...

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I don't want anyone to pretend that just because it was highly improved on Sunday compared to Saturday that it was still acceptable though.
    Yea, nice the got their act together but Saturday was bad. And you... you were a seething cauldron of anger yesterday!

Ok, need to work on getting motivated for NIN tonight. Maybe an energy bar will do it.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Sunday was way smoother than Saturday, the line was ridiculous! Took an hour to get in with cutting/security lady told us to follow a girl w/a backpack to the front. Saw a girl passed out on the Lawn, saw a guy carry his passed out gf out of interpol. Some douche security got mad and said nobodys getting in to the arena after interpol and people started say "Fuck this shit! Fuck this shit!"

Sunday took 5mins to get in, the arena was 10x more packed sunday at 3pm than saturday during Four-tet. The big sound stage they had also took up some of the arena space. Lights were dope. Security was getting mad at the people stage diving during built to spill. Than 2 black security dudes didn't give a fuck about smoking weed before the strokes. Alot of people were leaving the front of the strokes sweaty and dehydrated. Also his mic kept cutting out or he was forgetting his words.

Exiting the USC parking structure took forever on sunday tho'

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    I was heading for the exit and sat down to catch my breath for some flying lotus. And holy shit, so glad I did. Best set of the night. Not going to bother with the strokes.
    Flying Lotus was our final set too. Amazing dude, but I was too close and those visuals were too much for my brain to process. At one point I honestly thought I was going down, almost ended up at the medic. Remember how at the beginning he said something like, "No speeches. Fuck it. Your ded." Ha, he warned me. I enjoyed him much better while laying down on the grass in the back coming back down to earth.

Yesterday was so awesome that I forgot about Saturday. I was just glad to make it to Darkside. And I was trying to figure out if we walked more at FYF than coachella.

And hey, I never found any free water bottles, did you?
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

We got free water at the information booth when we walked in Sunday just before 3pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

I got a free water bottle in the line to get in at about 315pm
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187

8.23 & 8.24 FYF Fest
    10.21-25 CMJ 2014

Anyone figure out a good way to get the wristband off without cutting/ruining it?
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187

8.23 & 8.24 FYF Fest
    10.21-25 CMJ 2014

My thoughts on this weekend...

1. I guess I did the same thing as Cutter and "accidentally" cut the line to get in on Saturday. I got there at 3 and the whole process of getting in only took about 15 minutes. I don't know how I would've reacted if I had to wait hours and miss Slint. Fuck that. Once inside, I could tell pretty quickly that the venue wasn't right for the fest. I mean, close to a mile walk from the Lawn to the Main? An arena with ins and outs that sometimes felt like a death trap, and from what I experienced, I'm surprised there wasn't any trampling of people. I just hope it goes back to the Historic Park next year. Has it been established that they will be returning there?

2. The music. Someone said this was the best sounding festival they've attended and I totally agree. Slint was phenomenal and my favorite performance of the weekend overall. Being front and center, and witnessing Don, Aman live was unreal. When Britt and Pajo sat across from each other and just played... So many goosebumps. I never knew Britt sang that song! Their lighting was really cool too.
    Slowdive was a close second favorite act. Rachel still sings/looks like an angel and they all just did such a good job. Their set was specifically when I noticed how great the sound was. A reunion act that definitely feels like they never went away.
    Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks was fucking rad. Kids were getting amped at that show. And their drummer is probably the best I've ever seen.
    Joanna Gruesome were also pretty great. Hate the name but they killed it.
    Built To Spill surprisingly had the worst crowd of the weekend. I think they were all kids waiting for Earl but all around me it was just people talking/taking selfies/or fucking moshing and crowd surfing. Ugh, left halfway through to walk the mile to see Blood Orange. Glad I did because even though I couldn't get too close, I got to hear my favorites off Cupid Deluxe. I could go on but yeah etc., etc.

9/11 Swans @ The Roxy
    9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Best act of the weekend was the barrier of hot dog stands at the end of each night. I hope they do weekend 2 consisting only of hot dogs.

1. Todd Terje
    2. Mac DeMarco
    3. Darkside
    4. FlyLo
    5. Les Sins

So glad they fixed pretty much everything on Sunday. That paired with the acts made for a great fucking day. Terje ending with I Wanna Dance With Somebody was one of my highlights. (did he ever release this? I need it.) We were at the front next to the couple dressed as Inspector Norse. It was crazy. FlyLo and Tycho had the best visuals I saw this weekend, I wish I would have gotten more video of FlyLo especially his new stuff. So glad he played the song with Snoop! Sitting in the arena able to take in the whole main floor during Darkside was great, so glad they opened up the seats. Mac was just an overall fun and well sounding set, first time seeing him and it was great

Oh and I was able to get free water once we got inside so it was there. This was around 3. tried to get craft beer Sunday night but they were all out. This weekend went by too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by nuNRG View Post
    Best act of the weekend was the barrier of hot dog stands at the end of each night. I hope they do weekend 2 consisting only of hot dogs.
    Haha this. Saturday night security telling them to leave and not sell was just like them trying to kick us out of the arena before Terje. We shall prevail.
    Last edited by agonz; 08-25-2014 at 01:25 PM.

My friend said I ran into him by the food trucks after Darkside and I was very drunk. We spoke for about 5 minutes, started walking to Blood Brothers and boom, headfirst into a girl rounding a food truck. She grabs her head, yells "What the fuck?" I mumble a quick "sorry" and continue walking. I have zero memory of this.

Now that I've had time to think about it I barely saw any music. Lots of half sets, mostly beer drinking and trying to get from stage to stage. I would say I had the best time at Four Tet, Daphni and Darkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

1. The Strokes
    2. Tycho
    3. Flying Lotus
    4. Four Tet
    5. Darkside

HM: Chet Faker, Mac DeMarco

Even with the weirdness of it all (including not being able to see Terje) I definitely enjoyed the weekend thoroughly.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

I'm glad you guys mentioned the sound quality. I hadn't thought about that, and I guess that's because it was so good I had nothing to complain about. Haha. Every set I saw sounded great. Props to the engineers.

I was able to get a free water around 5 pm yesterday at a small booth just across the walkway from the craft beer area. It was warm but the dude was passing them out like crazy so I'm not complaining. I was bummed about the $3 water as well. When it's $2 at Coachella, I'm happy to tip the vendors $1 on top of that. But I'm not gonna pay $4 per bottle...that just reminds me too much of Woodstock 99. So no tips for them, unfortunately. I wonder where that ball dropped between advertising $2 on the website and it actually being listed at $3, cause it was obviously very organized. Every pre-printed sign was very clear, including big mass beer garden signs. It's like someone forgot to tell all the vendors. But either way, making it free til 6 on Sunday was very thoughtful and made up for that situation on Saturday for sure. Considering how beautiful the weather was, I actually lasted all day on just that one free bottle.

And yeah Todd Terje was magical. The whole time I felt like I was in the Neverending Story. His set kind of reminded me of Daft Punk. Not his sound, but just in the quality of his production, and how it just kept getting better and better. I went in there hardly knowing his material at all and I had a huge smile on my face for much of his set. A very nice surprise for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

1. Darkside
    2. The Blood Brothers
    3. Slowdive
    4. Boris
    5. Future Islands

Like most people have mentioned, Saturday was a complete mess and Sunday was much, much more enjoyable. Part of me doesn't feel like returning next year, but I really do love what this festival is trying to do. At least the logistical changes they made from Day 1 to Day 2 give me some hope about it.

I had a lot of fun meeting you guys at City Tavern, thanks for the good times.

Also, what was up with the mix for Deafheaven? The vocals were waaaay too loud and the guitars were almost non existent.

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

1. The Strokes
    2. Darkside
    3. Built to Spill
    4. Slowdive
    5. Grimes

Future Islands should be in there too, but they blew me away on Wednesday night at the Fonda, and that made a bigger impression on me.

Great weekend, despite the disappointment of missing Todd Terje and Caribou on Saturday night. Also, when you're constantly alternating from The Lawn to the Main Stage it's totally a drag.
    Upcoming shows

Future Islands 8/20 The Fonda
    FYF 8/23-8/24 LA Sports Arena & Exposition Park
    Nine Inch Nails
    Swans 9/10 The Roxy
    Temples 9/25 The Fonda
    Pixies 9/28 Hollywood Bowl
    Chromeo 10/10 Shrine Expo Hall
    Fleetwood Mac 11/28 The Forum

1. Todd Terje
    2. Caribou
    3. Darkside
    4. Chet Faker
    5. Tycho

Hoping all (Darkside excluded) end up on the poster in January
    Last edited by semery526; 08-25-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Just to clarify, was Todd Terjes "Live" performance with a laptop, or a full band like the video below?

Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Quote Originally Posted by agonz View Post
    1. Todd Terje
    2. Mac DeMarco
    3. Darkside
    4. FlyLo
    5. Les Sins

So glad they fixed pretty much everything on Sunday. That paired with the acts made for a great fucking day. Terje ending with I Wanna Dance With Somebody was one of my highlights. (did he ever release this? I need it.) We were at the front next to the couple dressed as Inspector Norse. It was crazy. FlyLo and Tycho had the best visuals I saw this weekend, I wish I would have gotten more video of FlyLo especially his new stuff. So glad he played the song with Snoop! Sitting in the arena able to take in the whole main floor during Darkside was great, so glad they opened up the seats. Mac was just an overall fun and well sounding set, first time seeing him and it was great

Oh and I was able to get free water once we got inside so it was there. This was around 3. tried to get craft beer Sunday night but they were all out. This weekend went by too fast.

Haha this. Saturday night security telling them to leave and not sell was just like them trying to kick us out of the arena before Terje. We shall prevail.
    Tycho's visuals on that last song? Holllly shiiit. Awesome. Best of weekend. When that ominous dude pushed the enclosing triangle away...damn.
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Quote Originally Posted by semery526 View Post

Hoping all (Darkside excluded) end up on the poster in January
    Personally, I hope Darkside return, but it's pretty unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    Listen to Ron if you don't want to listen to me. Or will you call his experience into question as well? He's probably one of the most (if not THE most) respected members of this board.

1. Tycho
    2. Mac DeMarco
    3. Real Estate
    4. POTUSA
    5. Future Islands

The music was very good this year. The vibe of the festival diminished the overall experience and emphasized to me how important the amenities and aesthetics are to the overall enjoyment.

As chronicled above, Saturday was a shit show. I was a good citizen and walked from the metro station all the way down to Hoover and MLK, which took too much out of this old body such that I was cooked by 9:00 Sunday night. Sunday was better, but by no means 100% enjoyable. It was just too oversold and understaffed. And don't get me started on the maps that had two craft beer areas and lockers over by Figueroa.

I think this festival has let the genie out of the bottle. Before, it was this quirky little punk+ festival, with Dodger Stadium and the downtown skyline in the background and the metro going right through the grounds. Sure, it was dusty, but at least it was an easy walk from stage to stage but with still very little sound bleed. The food trucks were busy, but not 40-people deep from 5:00 onward. Beer lines were 3-4 people deep at most, as opposed to 10-12 people deep and filled with 21 year olds buying screwdrivers with credit cards. And I miss the comedy too.

It seems clear to me that FYF went for it this year with two former Coachella headliners, which allowed them to fill the expanded venue, but I was just fine with 2nd and 3rd line headliners. I also think they tried harder on the smaller-font bands in previous years, whereas this year, while they had some good acts at that level (I'm looking at you Twin Peaks), there wasn't the depth of previous years (i.e., there was no Orwells or FIDLAR).

In sum, FYF has now become just another Festival, probably in that 3rd tier (e.g., Coachella = 1st tier; OSL = 2nd tier), which is sad and will make me definitely think twice if the venue and lineup remain similar next year.
    Last edited by grichsgang; 08-25-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

my third fyf and by far my least favorite. saw some great performances but the overall shittyness of this year's venue and lack of organization were really hard to ignore. if they don't change locations next year there is a good chance i wont be going to what is usually my favorite show of the summer. anyway, my list...

1. slowdive
    2. grimes
    3. deafheaven
    4. slint
    5. tycho

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    It was a totally new festival today, everything was outstanding.
    it was slightly better but i wouldnt go that far. they fixed the line going in and put a band-aid on the arena issue (still poorly done imo) but not much else was different. security were still assholes and wasting their resources in the most stupid ways (and again sunday they had at least 6-10 guards posted on the Lawn stage specifically to catch people smoking weed). it felt like they were used to working sporting events and had never worked a concert in their life. the general layout of the place is still terrible. also they might also want to consider hiring a different company for trash pickup because 95% of the time i saw someone with a broom they were just standing around or talking to coworkers or hiding out in corners or texting on their phones etc. i saw one who was literally sweeping up nothing just to make it look like he was working, like something out of a comedy sketch. i feel like i could have just gotten a job with that company instead of buying a ticket and then get paid to go to fyf.

Quote Originally Posted by LongshotJoe View Post
    I had some asshat attempt to put a dollar in his own tip jar when handing me back change for my $3 dollar water. It was like they trained everyone working this fest to be a dick.
    my favorite stupid tip sign was at one of the small general store stands they had just past the food/info booths on the right as you walk in. it said "TIPS Because some people SUCK!". i still don't get how these people feel they deserve a tip for doing their job of selling overpriced goods, or how a sign like that is supposed to make me want to tip you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I don't want anyone to pretend that just because it was highly improved on Sunday compared to Saturday that it was still acceptable though.
    this x10000000000
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

1) DJ Harvey
    2) Jamie XX
    3) Darkside
    4) Flying Lotus
    5) Daniel Avery

DJ Harvey saved my Saturday. It was my first time seeing him and he did not disappoint. That was probably the best DJ set I've ever seen. Sunday was much better, so many great sets in the arena. Opening the seats was a no-brainer is it's absolutely baffling that the organizers didn't have the foresight to do that from the beginning. I'm really disappointed that I missed Todd Terje but overall I had a blast. They made us work for it, but the music was fantastic so I'm willing to forgive the other bullshit.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

On a lighter not, Jorge was dancing with this couple during Daphni (while drunk) and thought it was me and Heatehr. When he realized they just doppelgangers, he asked to snap a photo. Pretty fucking funny.

last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

It was nice you finally, Jorge, CaseSensitive and Drinkey. My son and I sat with one other very nice boardie and his equally nice friends, but his user name (and real name) drowned in the stout that was 5th on the lineup that afternoon.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Nice to meet you too! That was Kreutz you were hanging with, and his first name is Adam. And yes, lots of fun hanging with folks all weekend!
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    Just to clarify, was Todd Terjes "Live" performance with a laptop, or a full band like the video below?

It was just him and a laptop.

Edit: This is sick, by the way. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by tessalasset; 08-25-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Terje had synths and sequencers and stuff - he actually is performing the music live, which is pretty amazing.
    last.fm

Overall it was pretty fun, but again highlighted that FYF is great at booking bands and terrible at most everything else. Also, how does GV get involved and still manage to muck it up so bad? Did they just let FYF borrow their interns? Pretty much everything that could've been done right, at little or no extra time or effort, was done wrong. Prime example: Craft beer gardens. Supposed to be 2 of them. Only 1. The 1 that actually has craft beer started running out of lots of things pretty early. Instead of crossing off the missing beers on the big chalkboard in front, they did nothing. Meaning every interaction started with "What do you have left" and then the server having to list everything. This really exasperated the lines. Also forcing everyone to walk thru the "Vendor Village" foodtruck area and cross through 60 people-deep food truck lines to get from Main to the other stages was completely moronic. However, the music was totally killer and a ton of great performances.

1. Todd Terje
    2. Interpol
    3. POTUS
    4. Darkside
    5. Kindness

Edit: Also who's the marketing genius that scheduled Todd Terje, Future Islands and Little Dragon all around the same time? Gotta assume there's a ton of overlap in their fanbases (myself included). Wish I could've seen all three.
    Last edited by zachb; 08-25-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Party time!

1. Flying Lotus/Boris tie
    3. Little Dragon
    4. Slowdive
    5. Darkside
    6. Slint
    7. Angel Olsen
    8. Blood Orange
    9. Presidents of the USA
    10. Blood Brothers
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale