Page 83 of 92 FirstFirst ... 7879808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 2753

Thread: FYF 2014

Default Re: FYF 2014

Have been to the last 5 FYFs...this one was bar none the worst, sans musical acts. Dare I say the HARD site in El Monte would have probably been a better choice than USC...

Only caught the last 3-4 songs of Slowdive but holy fuck, that was awesome. Run the Jewels was as expected, amazing. Interpol were solid but it seemed like a short (but sweet) set - super crowded too, maybe more people watching them at FYF than the last time they played Coachella main stage. The exodus to Grimes was real, although it's not like the crowd was terrible there (we were well back and comfortable). Slint sounded great, should have stayed there vs. going to catch last 15 of Joyce Manor, but they were good as well. Had to laugh this morning when the LA Times article leads with an Angel Olsen review...guys, who the hell was even in to catch her? http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...823-story.html

So very glad that today is The Trees and almost nothing but - and based on the attendees yesterday, shouldn't be too bad...probably some confused looks for La Dispute when they go on, POTUS will be packed I'm afraid. In general though that was my favorite stage, for many reasons (transitory space, lots of food, no beer garden so no one really en route to that when close, porta potties in the back (after the Coliseum bathrooms/before you hit the logjam in between Trees/Lawn) were rather fresh and unused for a music fest. Here's hoping someone at FYF figured out how much of a shitshow yesterday was and helps us fans out today.

7.23 - White Lung // 8.2-3 - HARD Summer // 8.7 - Jagwar Ma // 8.8 - Flume // 8.10 - Warpaint // 8.23-24 - FYF Fest // 9.5 - Feed Me // 10.8 - Kasabian // 10.12 - Speedy Ortiz // 10.25 - The Afghan Whigs // 10.31 - QotSA Halloween Show! // 4.10-12 - Coachella 2015 W1

So the arena floor only holds 3,000? I was wondering about that yesterday.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

line was so fucking crazy to get in, i had to cut thru the gate because i was not gonna miss Joyce Manor. oh yeah, also Joyce Manor ended in time to see the end of Slint--saw them do the last song from Spiderland, that shit was crazy. yeah, logistically the festival was two thumbs down, walking from the main stage to the lawn was a total fuck, and im gonna have to do it today for Mac Demarco->Thundercat, but im fine with leaving Mac a little early. there were some really good booths, including the few record store tents. the oragami tent was underwhelming but the rest of them were really good. shitty merch by most bands. sound quality was A+, and Future Islands was incredible. so was Ty Segall.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    So the arena floor only holds 3,000? I was wondering about that yesterday.
    L.a times article has it at 6,000. Who to believe?

And now FYF has tweeted that the seats will be open in the arena. the next problem will be when everyone wants to go down to the floor and cant. But we'll see.

oops. you guys beat me to it. this gives me hope that today will be better.

iLoveMakonnen - 9/27 - Catch One
    Massive Attack - 10/16 - Greek Theatre
    Afrika Bambaataa - 10/29 - Low End Theory
    Queens Of The Stone Age - 10/31 - The Forum
    OFWGKTA Carnival - 11/8
    Coachella '15 - 4/10-4/12

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I have done too much complaing already to I won't anymore. The few sets I saw yesterday were great - Slint, Todd Terje, Caribou, Boris. I ended up just giving up and leaving at 10:30pm, but I was exhausted anyway.

We will be back at City Tavern today! Yesterday was great and they were super accommodating. Here's hoeing to an easier entrance today!
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    This gives me so much hope.

very optimistic about them opening up the seats! i might wanna be sitting during Jamie XX because of how tired i'll be. also, i might want to get into Jamie XX lol

Glad to see the seats have been opened. Restores my hope in seeing Darkside.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I have done too much complaing already to I won't anymore. The few sets I saw yesterday were great - Slint, Todd Terje, Caribou, Boris. I ended up just giving up and leaving at 10:30pm, but I was exhausted anyway.

We will be back at City Tavern today! Yesterday was great and they were super accommodating. Here's hoeing to an easier entrance today!
    Oh ya, Boris was a hoot! Loved that set. Super over the top with all the fog, and the drummer crowd surfing at the end. Great fun.

What time you guys thinking to be at City Tavern?
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

We'll be there around11:30/noonish again probably
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Seconded on Boris.

Broment of the night: as Atsuo was crowd surfing during the last song, these frat dudes took advantage of the chaos and pushed several people off the rail so they could take a dozen group selfies. Whoo rock and roll, bro.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Echoing everyone else's complaints. There have been massive events in this general area before they should have known better.

Not selling water in the arena anywhere but the packed 21+ bar area (that I could find) was an irresponsibly dangerous idea.

Once I made it to the lawn stage for Tycho I started having a decent time. But by then it was too fucking late after the experience I had trying to see Terje. Left after Tycho.

There are enough people on twitter saying what an amazing time it was so FYF probably doesn't have to change a thing. There are enough people who don't mind being subjected to that, who maybe don't know any better. Good for them.

I've now been to an equal amount of shitty FYFs to good ones. Those are awful odds for a festival and I doubt I'll be back.
    Coachellabound 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 Fuck I'm Old Now.

Slowdive won Saturday overall. That set was so fucking perfect. I can't wait for November. As for the logistical nightmare of walking from the lawn to the main stage, what the fuck were they thinking? My ankle is all kinds of fucked up. At least open the backside of the sports arena for traffic flow and get rid of the dumb VIP area. And the sports arena was straight stupid. But Slowdive... Holy shit
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

FYF just posted this on their twitter:

chloedancer ‏@chloedancer 3m
    @FYFFEST What are your plans to decrease the wait time to get into the festival? Trying to plan our day.

‏@FYFFEST
    @chloedancer Making a statement around noon. Opening doors early

...so I guess doors are opening pre-2. Doesn't sound like security is going to be any better...but we'll see what this statement says.

7.23 - White Lung // 8.2-3 - HARD Summer // 8.7 - Jagwar Ma // 8.8 - Flume // 8.10 - Warpaint // 8.23-24 - FYF Fest // 9.5 - Feed Me // 10.8 - Kasabian // 10.12 - Speedy Ortiz // 10.25 - The Afghan Whigs // 10.31 - QotSA Halloween Show! // 4.10-12 - Coachella 2015 W1

Another issue no one's brought up - that Main Stage is really terribly set up. I was taller than most people at Interpol but I could barely see a thing from the sound booth - the stage needed another three feet in height at least.

But more pressing was the width of the area - it was way to narrow, which lead to overcrowding and making it difficult to get out. This could easily have been fixed if they'd just opened up walkways on the west side of the arena, where the VIP section was, and tilted the stage to face northeast. Shrink the VIP section by two thirds and just charge three times as much. Promoters could totally get away with it, and I'm tired of all the #FAKEVIPBULLSHIT.

What does opening it early do? We got there at 2:10pm yesterday and there was zero wait and we were in by 2:15. All the trouble started AFTER it seems when most people showed up.

I just hope they have enough hot dog carts.

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

What does opening it early do? We got there at 2:10pm yesterday and there was zero wait and we were in by 2:15. All the trouble started AFTER it seems when most people showed up.
    I have no idea - but did you really get in at 2:10 with no wait? We cut the line at about that time and it still took ~35-40 min to get in with snaked line + congestion at security check.

There was most definitely not a zero wait at 2:10, Cutterbutter. You probably just didn't realize the line that went all the way to Jefferson street (and it sounds like a LOT of people didn't notice it.)

I got there around 1:25 and didn't get into the venue until around 2:25.

And opening the gates early could definitely do a lot to help. There were already thousands lined up before they opened the gates.

You totally cut the line and didn't realize it. Not shitting you.
    last.fm

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    It kinda of eased up by the time Caribou went on. I think everyone just gave up. Was way too easy to get into Dj Harvey. FYf Tweeted out about the arena closing at 5pm or so, and now that tweet has been deleted. It went something along the lines of ''Entrance to arena closed at 5pm. Nobody being let in now. Hope you guys are having a blast!'' I think not utilizing the seats was a bad move. Sure, you want it to feel intimate and such, but even if a portion of the seats were open, you wouldnt have such a mess on your hands. Kids were more than content about sitting up there regardless. I doubt they fix much tomorrow. Sound was lacking low end at The Lawn Stage. Dont know how they dont place sub-woofers in the middle.

The thing that worries me is what happens after this ends. Because this sold out in advance, why would they go back to a smaller space? Losing all that revenue and such is going to be a sticking point to all the brass Im sure when they look at the bottom line. So how much control does FYF Sean have now over this? Tons of people asking for refunds and whatnot. I dont think they will be able to brush off all of the media reviews which will paint the same picture as everyone else who attended. Unless they offer free ice cream to anyone who complained, that will make everyone forget!
    I was going to say the same thing. And I'm guessing the staffing costs are why they kept the Arena seats off-line. Also:

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    So how much control does FYF Sean have now over this? Tons of people asking for refunds and whatnot.
    Isn't Sean Carlson the guy who posts under their Twitter/Facebook accounts? Because if so, then I think the joke I just made on Facebook is directed squarely at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Me, on Facebook
    I'm imagining a scenario in which social media existed during the 1936 Berlin Olympics, and....oh look, there's FYF Fest posting cheerfully about an amazing water polo match.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

An early opening would have helped yesterday. I was one of the first few hundred in because I cut that mile-long line that went down the street right before they opened the gate (was talking to someone I recognized near the front and then everyone started rushing in), then at 2:10 searches began, then at 2:15 they started letting people scan their wristbands. These two steps should have happened at the same place, really. That would surely save some time. And every other event in the world opens the doors or gates an hour or two before the music starts. FYF did it 15 minutes before the first act. Opening early would be a step in the right direction, but if they aren't announcing anything until noon, the info's usefulness is limited.
    Last edited by Boourns; 08-24-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

The only reason I saw any of Slint (last 35 minutes) was that my place near the end of the line on Bill Robertson was about five feet from the VIP entrance, when the staff mercifully allowed GA people to enter for a brief moment. Absent that, it would have been a significantly less enjoyable day.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

So did ANYONE see Todd Terje? I'm so pissed I missed him and Caribou, my two most anticipated acts yesterday.

I'm dreading the mess that will be Darkside tonight, especially since I'll be watching Built to Spill all the way at the lawn right before.

Worst organized festival I've ever been to (I've only been to LA ones, but still).
    Upcoming shows

Future Islands 8/20 The Fonda
    FYF 8/23-8/24 LA Sports Arena & Exposition Park
    Nine Inch Nails
    Swans 9/10 The Roxy
    Temples 9/25 The Fonda
    Pixies 9/28 Hollywood Bowl
    Chromeo 10/10 Shrine Expo Hall
    Fleetwood Mac 11/28 The Forum

I still feel like the arena's gonna be hellish for Darkside, but at least they're doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    You totally cut the line and didn't realize it. Not shitting you.
    Yep, I now realize I accidentally did the same thing. Walking in from the north side, you couldn't tell the line snaking down Vermont was long, so I didn't even think twice about filing in behind the 15 people entering the fence right at 39th, who all came the same way as me.

That said, if there's still no one actually enforcing people to make that one single line today, you all now know the "trick".

Am I the only one who saw Against Me! yesterday? Another fairly amazing set.

Cutter literally "cut" in the line. And fyf app updated with free bottled water til
    6pm. Wonder where theyll be giving it out.

Gabe, yes Sean Carlson is the one who posts everything on the twitter and fb account. So you did make that joke right at him.

An earlier gates time shouldve always been in place. Always puzzled me why they thought openong half an hour before music was smart. At Coachella, sure they have artists on 20 mins after opening, but its out of neccesity due to the sheer amount of acts performing. Here, they purposefully pushed back everything. Besides, why doesnt anyone get time to situate themselves and explore before really having to see an act?

Oh yeah, how do you run out of the majority of your merch within a few hours? The whole "we made 50 t shirts in this design" is total bullshit because they easily could sold 500 of em. But this isnt about the money, right?
    Last edited by superfan; 08-24-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    I just hope they have enough hot dog carts.
    Haha- yea. No better way to kill 3 hours of waiting in line in the hot sun than with bacon wrapped, porky goodness. Extra peppers, of course!
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

funny how many comments there are on social media about the event being understaffed, when i saw groups of 2-4 security guards (CSC Security) doing absolutely nothing except for walking through the crowd at the Lawn stage, confiscating pipes and joints and bags of weed. again, that was their ONLY goal and this was happening from early afternoon all through the night. based on their behavior and discussions i have a very strong suspicion that no contraband was turned in to their supervisors at the end of the night. even if they did turn it in is that really the best use of your resources? look, i get that it's against the rules and all but to have groups of security SPECIFICALLY DEDICATED to the enforcing the D.A.R.E. program while other areas of the venue felt dangerously unorganized and overcrowded... yep. the blame for this should lie solely on the shitty security company

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Water! Now two for the price of three!
    that was some more icing on the bullshit. $2 is the standard non-scumbag price for water, anything higher is just greedy. the profit margin on a $2 bottle of water is already ridiculous. at least it wasn't $5 (HI LIVE NATION!)
    Last edited by anonimouse; 08-24-2014 at 11:00 AM. Reason: i accidentally a word
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.