Page 78 of 92 FirstFirst ... 7374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,340 of 2753

Thread: FYF 2014

Default Re: FYF 2014

I have a bunch of friends coming into town for this. Can anyone recommend a brunch spot with bottomless mimosas that'll hold a nice sized group?

Downtown area. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheClaw View Post
    The Silver line is an express bus so cash fare is $2.45. The DASH F route is 50 cents. Also, the Dash and Expo let you off a bit closer.

Also, if you're taking the rail and require a transfer ie) Red to Expo, just go ahead and buy a Day pass as it will be cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Are you staying at the Bonaventure? You can take the silver line, which is a bus line that I haven't used, or you can walk a couple blocks to 7th/Flower and take the Expo Line, which is a light rail. And City Tavern, where we'll be hanging out both days before the fest getting food and drinks is right at 7th and Fig.
    I am staying at the Regal Inn on 5966 S. Broadway. The metro trip planner is telling me that there is not a Rail option to get to City Tavern, and that the Silver line or Metro express line 460 are my best options. Is this accurate? And if so, do the $5 day-passes work with these lines, which seem to have inflated rates?
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    I am staying at the Regal Inn on 5966 S. Broadway. The metro trip planner is telling me that there is not a Rail option to get to City Tavern, and that the Silver line or Metro express line 460 are my best options. Is this accurate? And if so, do the $5 day-passes work with these lines, which seem to have inflated rates?
    Oh yeah, you are staying waaaay south! I think the $5 day pass works for all lines, but I am not positive.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Damn. I didn't think it was that far south. I guess we will just ride the silver line. It drops us off literally in front of city tavern. We'll just load up our TAP cards with enough for 3 rides I guess. Thanks!
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Are you staying at the Bonaventure? You can take the silver line, which is a bus line that I haven't used, or you can walk a couple blocks to 7th/Flower and take the Expo Line, which is a light rail. And City Tavern, where we'll be hanging out both days before the fest getting food and drinks is right at 7th and Fig.
    Yes, the Bonaventure thanks so much! I think I'll take your advice with the Expo line. I am not checking in until 1:30 or 2, so I think I'll miss Sat, but perhaps Sunday
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    Metro question: are TAP cards available at every metro station?
    Yes, at the machines it asks you whether you need to purchase one or re fill an existing card. Just follow the directions.

Quote Originally Posted by enginedown View Post
    I'll be arriving in Culver City Friday night around 10pm. Any recommendations on what to do in the area that night or the morning before the fest would be awesome. Thx <3

Edit: post # 420 bro lols
    Culver City is blessed with the best dive bars in the LA region. Go to the Tattle Tale on Sepulveda/Sawtelle for cheap beers and bad karaoke, and in the same stripmall is the Scarlet Lady Tavern. Also across from the Sony lot is Backstage Bar. This place has great karaoke as well, and surprisingly good food.

If you're looking for restaurants check out downtown Culver City (its near the Trader Joes). City Tavern is great, East Borough (Vietnamese) is pretty tasty and there are a ton of other good options in the area. For nicer bars, there is Bigfoot Lodge west and Oldfields (which is a great cocktail bar), both on Venice.

If you have a car, there are 3 great restaurants on the western edge of Culver City; A-Frame, Corner Door and Waterloo and City (all on Washington Blvd). There is also the Alibi Room, which is close to there and serves tacos from the Kogi truck menu.

Oh, also the city's Fiesta La Ballona fesival starts Friday, so there will be a carnival/fair setup at Overland and Culver. That is usually pretty fun and they have good vendor food, cheap beer and some great/terrible cover bands play.
    Last edited by zachb; 08-20-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Picture of the Lawn Stage. Anyone been around the area recently and seen anything?

http://instagram.com/p/r8k1OjuVuq/

Same stage that was used last weekend it appears.

Real Estate, Man Man, & Slowdive should be great on that stage
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Jesus, I get to see Slowdive this weekend. Unreal.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by zachb View Post
    Culver City is blessed with the best dive bars in the LA region. Go to the Tattle Tale on Sepulveda/Sawtelle for cheap beers and bad karaoke, and in the same stripmall is the Scarlet Lady Tavern. Also across from the Sony lot is Backstage Bar. This place has great karaoke as well, and surprisingly good food.

If you're looking for restaurants check out downtown Culver City (its near the Trader Joes). City Tavern is great, East Borough (Vietnamese) is pretty tasty and there are a ton of other good options in the area. For nicer bars, there is Bigfoot Lodge west and Oldfields (which is a great cocktail bar), both on Venice.

If you have a car, there are 3 great restaurants on the western edge of Culver City; A-Frame, Corner Door and Waterloo and City (all on Washington Blvd). There is also the Alibi Room, which is close to there and serves tacos from the Kogi truck menu.

Oh, also the city's Fiesta La Ballona fesival starts Friday, so there will be a carnival/fair setup at Overland and Culver. That is usually pretty fun and they have good vendor food, cheap beer and some great/terrible cover bands play.
    Dude, awesome recommendations. Thank you so much!! We're staying closer to the downtown area, like a block from Father's Office I think, so a bunch of these places should be walking distance.

Father's Office is wonderful.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

See you guys at City Tavern. I may recognize a few of you. I'll likely be in my tie-dye and Man Utd hat with my son who will either be wearing a Yes or Slayer shirt.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

New Run the Jewels album on the way, so probably some new songs this weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I am going to do my damnedest to see a good portion of that set. The overlap with Todd Terje is bumming me out.
    last.fm

Yeah, the Terje--RtJ--Slowdive Conflict Block is the suckiest part of Saturday. The article says they're touring in November, though, so I'm sure they'll be back around.

I know this conversation has been had already, but I am going to see all of Slowdive as I think they'll be the most difficult of the three to see again anytime soon (decision made a bit easier by Terje's live set not being the full band).
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

metro day passes went up to $7 recently
    looks like FYF isn't worth it anymore

Thanks Obama.

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

Quote Originally Posted by AeroplaneJunkie View Post
    metro day passes went up to $7 recently
    looks like FYF isn't worth it anymore
    ya you could probably see like 4 joyce manor shows for that price

Ah, I didn't realize the new pricing had gone into effect. Free transfers for 2 hours now though!
    last.fm

Ah, I didn't realize the new pricing had gone into effect. Free transfers for 2 hours now though!

Metro site says it doesn't take effect until September 15. Haven't ridden recently though, so who knows what's correct.

http://www.metro.net/riding/new-fares/

I miss the days when it was $3.

zachb is right, changes don't go into effect until Sept. 15, day pass is still $5. I'd take the Expo line vs. the Silver line for anyone going, probably more efficient.
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187

8.23 & 8.24 FYF Fest
    10.21-25 CMJ 2014

if anyone needs a vip ticket at face hit me up

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    ya you could probably see like 4 joyce manor shows for that price
    ; - )

Main Stage:

Trees:
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

nice. cant wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Yessss! Thanks for the pics!
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

shit is getting more real by the minute!
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)