Page 40 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 2753

Thread: FYF 2014

Default Re: FYF 2014

Hell, this is the first time in 4 years they didn't book Simian Mobile Disco.

^i wouldn't even be mad

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Far be it from me to get in the way of your trademark indignation but what bands are repeats of last year besides Ty Segall and Death Grips?
    Joyce Manor. And there are epeats on the lineup that have played FYF in the last few years. Tanlines, Tycho, Pink Mountaintops, Future Islands....

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    FYF, where the same fucking bands play every fucking year.
    That's kind of my problem. I mean it's a really good line-up. So many recycled acts it seems though. Acts that I love mind you, but still.

EDIT* It also doesn't help that I give no fucks about Phoenix or the Strokes. C'est la vie I suppose.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 05-16-2014 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I think it looks a bit recycled because it's also full of acts that have played Coachella and other festival circuits. And the whole FlyLo contingent is LA is a bit over-saturated at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I think it looks a bit recycled because it's also full of acts that have played Coachella and other festival circuits. And the whole FlyLo contingent is LA is a bit over-saturated at this point.
    Yeah, this is definitely true. I hope Flying Lotus is at FFF, though. I've only seem him once unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Pretty hyped on the line-up this year. Slint and Slowdive alone were probably enough to get me to go to this. Amongst others, I'm also pretty excited to see Grimes, Blood Orange, Built To Spill, Boris, Ty Segall, Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks, Deafheaven, Angel Olsen... I still don't really get the appeal of Blood Brothers though. They've always come across as super corny to me.

9/11 Swans @ The Roxy
    9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Super horny not a problem
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

A day later. Bands I'm surprised didn't make the lineup:

How to Dress Well (new album, playing First City Festival that same weekend)
    Fucked Up (new album, playing LA dates that week... Going to guess these get promoted as FYF Fest pre-party shows just like Deafheaven was last year?)
    White Lung (new album on a bigger indie label, no dates in August so far even though they're playing LA in July, but so are a few other artists)
    Speedy Ortiz (playing First City Festival that same weekend)

I'm content with the lineup as is, and a few of these would be return acts from past years anyway but I think that's what's surprising when you look at how Joyce Manor will have played three years straight.

Welp now im sad that Fucked Up isn't there and then that reminded me that Fuck Buttons aren't there either. You'd think there would be at least one
    Fuck band at fuck yeah fest.

I'm sold! I guess I'll tough it out and drive/park both days.

Apologies if I missed it earlier in the thread, but does anyone know how quickly this fest tends to sell out? I probably won't know if I can swing this until the 30th. Is there a good chance tickets will still be available?

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    I still don't really get the appeal of Blood Brothers though. They've always come across as super corny to me.
    Their shows used to be filled with preteeens with fancy hair.

This is the least interesting fyf lineup in years. Still good but comparatively meh. I hate the Strokes. The Strokes are so fucking boring.

Quote Originally Posted by ehiunno View Post
    Apologies if I missed it earlier in the thread, but does anyone know how quickly this fest tends to sell out? I probably won't know if I can swing this until the 30th. Is there a good chance tickets will still be available?
    It has never sold out in the past, although things could be different this year. You're probably going to be ok.
    Last year tickets were going for under face value in the days close to the fest.

Kinda sad about no Modest Mouse/Brand New as was heavily rumored. Would have liked Unknown Mortal Orchestra in there and Beck or The National as a headliner over Phoenix.

Other than that the lineup is fucking awesome.

And Death Grips sucks.
    Upcoming shows

Future Islands 8/20 The Fonda
    FYF 8/23-8/24 LA Sports Arena & Exposition Park
    Nine Inch Nails
    Swans 9/10 The Roxy
    Temples 9/25 The Fonda
    Pixies 9/28 Hollywood Bowl
    Chromeo 10/10 Shrine Expo Hall
    Fleetwood Mac 11/28 The Forum

I feel like an Idiot because I just realized I need to call off Monday to attend this. Which this and having to take off four days for Decibel is a nail in the coffin for myself to attend Fun Fun Fun.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I know I'm late but best FYF ever for me. Bummed that The Unicorns arent there though :/

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Far be it from me to get in the way of your trademark indignation but what bands are repeats of last year besides Ty Segall and Death Grips?
    Joyce Manor.

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post

"Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    I still don't really get the appeal of Blood Brothers though. They've always come across as super corny to me."

Their shows used to be filled with preteeens with fancy hair.
    Unless there's a new found interest in the Blood Brothers between now and FYF, I don't expect their set to be a high demand one. The kids with fancy hair will be there, without the fancy hair and all grown up, but anyone who is currently college age or under probably has no clue who they are since they weren't even teenagers yet when the Blood Brothers were putting out albums.

no comedy this year, or has it just not been announced yet?

Really excited about this lineup. This will be the first FYF that has actually worked out for me to attend. When it was during Labor Day weekend I could never attend and then last year something came up and I had to skip it as well. I am excited to see the Strokes again. I think I've mentioned this a million times on the board but The Strokes were one of the main draws for my first Coachella. I'll always hold a really special place for them because without them and a few other bands, I wouldn't have been exposed to destination music festivals at such a young age.

Blood Brothers is such a huge pass for me. I've seen them a few times and never got the appeal. In fact, the last time I saw them I ended up leaving the show early and finding something else to do while my friends watched the rest of the show. One of the very few times I've actually left a show because I hated the music.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRotten42 View Post
    Blah, not worth the price point. I miss the days of $20 early bird tickets
    Really? This argument is so tired to me. The fest is priced really fairly. As a friend of mine put it when this came up yesterday, "Do you wish it was still a shitshow at the echo with local punk bands who DJ at the Cha Cha in their spare time?" If you want a cheap local thing maybe try Brokechella or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    For those looking for a hotel and don't mind a walk to the metro or a quick cheap lyft ride, downtown culver city is also a nice option.
    Great idea. Culver City is a great place to hang out, really pretty area, and right by the Expo line. I lived there for two years when I first got to LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    So I just noticed they axed the comedy portion of the fest.
    I noticed that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they sold tickets that you exchanged for wristbands in person at the venue. I guess we will find out.
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I tried to pump the guy from Permanent Records for information today while I was walking my dog, but he had no idea of course. Just thought it was worth a shot.
    Last edited by casey; 05-17-2014 at 01:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Weird, the website has Kindness and Ryan Hemsworth on the Saturday listing, but on Sunday on the poster. Making it 32 bands Saturday/28 Sunday.

I'm so happy about Kindness. Wanted to see those guys for a while.

Yeah, there's lots of really good R&B-ish acts this year - Sunday will be sexy as fuck with Kindness, Blood Orange, Kelela, and Jessy Lanza.

Am I the only one that's like stupidly excited for Interpol

gonna catch that vegas set first, then yes ill be stupidly excited

Quote Originally Posted by pablomoney View Post
    Unless there's a new found interest in the Blood Brothers between now and FYF, I don't expect their set to be a high demand one. The kids with fancy hair will be there, without the fancy hair and all grown up, but anyone who is currently college age or under probably has no clue who they are since they weren't even teenagers yet when the Blood Brothers were putting out albums.
    Not totally sure about this - suppose it depends on how you define "high demand". Would imagine it's just as crowded as American Nightmare was a couple years back (they had not put out an album since 2003 vs. TBB having put out 2 albums after that), and probably at a similarly sized stage. I fondly remember their sets from 2002-2004, the vocals aren't anywhere close to the recordings but the guitar player is fantastic live. If they play a mix of old and later stuff this should be the set of the weekend for me, if they play mostly the later stuff I'm way more likely to be in the back.

Your comment re: fancy hair is pretty funny, in San Diego at least their shows never attracted that type (thought of them as more of a heavy band than a "scene" band). I also think you're under-rating their older stuff's appeal...I agree the later stuff didn't get quite as much attention, although there are some good ones in there (liked Sean's pick of Laser Life for the KCRW reveal). If they played all of Burn Piano Island I would be just fine with that, Denver Max is still an oddly creepy song I'd love to see tried live (probably never gonna happen).

Also looking forward to Interpol, Real Estate, Run the Jewels, Terje live, Darkside (would be bummed if this goes against TBB but probably will), MCD, Talabot and Deavheaven. Very solid lineup for FYF. Unclear why Julian's solo act is so high on the poster...felt like most of my friends who were going to see that set at Coachella mainly wanted to hear a few Strokes songs live, which won't be a problem since they're there the next night.

7.23 - White Lung // 8.2-3 - HARD Summer // 8.7 - Jagwar Ma // 8.8 - Flume // 8.10 - Warpaint // 8.23-24 - FYF Fest // 9.5 - Feed Me // 10.8 - Kasabian // 10.12 - Speedy Ortiz // 10.25 - The Afghan Whigs // 10.31 - QotSA Halloween Show! // 4.10-12 - Coachella 2015 W1

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope11 View Post
    Am I the only one that's like stupidly excited for Interpol
    Can't wait. Like The Strokes, they haven't released a good album for a decade, but I'm probably more excited for Interpol than The Strokes anyway.

No NMH hotel is the only slight disappointment i have. I thought they would have been a perfect fit. Otherwise his line up looks good. As pointed out by others, I have seen a lot of bands in fyf's past but I wouldnt mind trying to turn some of those bands on to my less knowledgable friends. Joyce Manor, La dispute, and balance and composure should be fun

Throw me on the list for stupidly excited for Interpol

I only saw Interpol for like ten minutes at Coachella 2011, and that was as I was just crusing in the back. Full show would be great, pending the setlist.