Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: FYF 2014

Default Re: FYF 2014

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Anything will be better than that dumpy park they usually use. I'd be happy with the outside of the sports arena.
    I actually like State Historic Park and don't get the hate for it. In recent years, they've done a lot to cut down on the dust by dropping wet wood chips on the areas that are otherwise dirt. Everything is spread out well enough that there's no bottlenecking when moving about, and even if you aren't close to the stage, you still stand to have a good view. The Metro riding by and downtown off in the distance make for a cool setting. It's also incredibly easy to get to.

My biggest problem with them potentially having it at or anywhere around the USC arena is that the crowd will just be a bunch of rich bros and sorority girls who'd not otherwise go or even know that it's happening attending the thing just because of its proximity. I've already made it up in my head that if takes place at USC, I'm not going, but I'm still interested in seeing the lineup because so far, it doesn't sound interesting and it will make me feel less guilty to skip this year if it's weak.

So that quote confirms they are doing a "few" festivals...we know for sure Governors Ball, but nothing else yet.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablomoney View Post
    My biggest problem with them potentially having it at or anywhere around the USC arena is that the crowd will just be a bunch of rich bros and sorority girls who'd not otherwise go or even know that it's happening attending the thing just because of its proximity. I've already made it up in my head that if takes place at USC, I'm not going, but I'm still interested in seeing the lineup because so far, it doesn't sound interesting and it will make me feel less guilty to skip this year if it's weak.
    I highly doubt this would happen.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Classes at USC do start on Monday, August 25th though. And I'm pretty sure that the frats and sororities will opt out of their beginning of school year parties to attend an indie festival.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Even better, sorority rush is that weekend. I think the Greeks will be a bit busy.

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    That was basically my question like 5 pages back, but you articulated it much better. Apparently, it's big enough to accommodate a large fest.
    We're talking about where EDC was until they moved to Vegas, no? I wonder if they'll utilize the Coliseum as they did then. Either way I think there is more than enough space to accommodate FYF Fest.

Quote Originally Posted by arsgunner View Post
    this will kind of suck on concrete
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Anything will be better than that dumpy park they usually use. I'd be happy with the outside of the sports arena.
    Concrete will kind of suck as opposed to grass, but I won't miss the dirt being kicked up. However I love LA Historic Park as a venue for it's hills and view of Downtown. Really was/is a fantastic venue for this Fest. Always had great views of the stage. Being able to watch acts on the middle stage from the top of the hill in the beer garden was great. Plus, the sound was stellar.

If it is there, it will likely be outside and around the Coliseum and Sports Area in parking lots and other areas. They held Warped Tour there several times in the the early 2000s, I have seen it in practice.

EDC was an event that had over 100,000 in attendance. FYF has 20,000 or less. They are not comparable in any way.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Julian Casablancas is playing Mexico City on August 16th. Doubt it'll be a one off date, so he might be at FYF with/without The Strokes.

^ I would guess without - his Coachella set was mostly new material from his solo project, and it seems like the new album is due out in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    If it is there, it will likely be outside and around the Coliseum and Sports Area in parking lots and other areas. They held Warped Tour there several times in the the early 2000s, I have seen it in practice.

EDC was an event that had over 100,000 in attendance. FYF has 20,000 or less. They are not comparable in any way.
    Wasn't really trying to compare EDC and FYF. My point was that they held a festival there that held 75,000 - 100,000 in attendance, so there is surely enough space for FYF Fest. Never attended a warped tour there, but I guess that would've been the better comparison being they probably didn't utilize the Coliseum.

concrete =(

it gets so hot during FYF. I'd rather take the dust. Just bring an extra handkerchief and you're good

Yeah. I have to admit I wasn't a huge fan of the historic park in the past, but would definitely take that over expo park any day.
    Last edited by mrthn111; 05-08-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Another thing that worries me about the venue change regardless of where it is: It took a couple of years for FYF to work out the logistical kinks at the Historic Park, specifically in regards to smoothing out the entry process. Wherever they go, I'm predicting some sort of clusterfuckery.

You are a delight.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Another thing that worries me about the venue change regardless of where it is: It took a couple of years for FYF to work out the logistical kinks at the Historic Park, specifically in regards to smoothing out the entry process. Wherever they go, I'm predicting some sort of clusterfuckery.
    You are right. Lessons learned in one situation can never be applied in another situation. Glad you reminded us of this.

Little lone the fact that that is precisely why Goldenvoice got involved in the first place.
    last.fm

Those wood chips did absolutely nothing the year I attended (2011). Not a bad venue per se, but I certainly don't miss the dust.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Sorry for the basic bitching. I want to have sex with all of you and bring the Fuck back into Fuck Yeah Fest.

Not really FYF related, but any clue why the Black Keys are skipping LA on their announced tour with St. Vincent?

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    Not really FYF related, but any clue why the Black Keys are skipping LA on their announced tour with St. Vincent?
    I was gonna mention the same thing. It's kind of peculiar. The Black Keys seem way too huge to do FYF but then again, they have a great relationship with Goldenvoice. They could help sell out FYF real fast just being on the bill and then sell out their Staples Center show they'll announce a month from now. With this odd choice of leaving their LA date out, I think shit just got possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Albiedamned View Post
    I was gonna mention the same thing. It's kind of peculiar. The Black Keys seem way too huge to do FYF but then again, they have a great relationship with Goldenvoice. They could help sell out FYF real fast just being on the bill and then sell out their Staples Center show they'll announce a month from now. With this odd choice of leaving their LA date out, I think shit just got possible.
    Made In America?

I also think there's a good chance they'll be back to be next year's obligatory KROQ headliner at Coachella.

Oh shit I forgot about Made In America. That seems much more likely.

Ceremonia just announced their initial line up. Takes place pretty close to FYF so I imagine we'll be getting most of these...

http://ceremonia.xxx/
    8/2 & 3 HARD Summer
    8/7 Jagwar Ma @ Santa Monica Pier
    8/15 Echo Park Rising
    8/21 Interpol @ Boulevard Pool
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 RP Boo @ Los Globos
    9/24 Interpol @ House Of Blues
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey
    9/26 Wu Tang @ The Forum
    9/27 Hercules & Love Affair @ Lot 613

Made in America would seem more likely. And you know theres other acts opening on that tour? And St Vincent could play Made in America, but barely.

Made In America?

I also think there's a good chance they'll be back to be next year's obligatory KROQ headliner at Coachella.
    Yep I'd bet they're at MIA. Their official tour starts a few days later in Columbus/Cleveland so I thought maybe they'd be a Philly headliner, but LA makes too much sense with those dates.

I would much prefer them to Coldplay and Avicii as the KROQ headliner next year. Their 2011 Bonnaroo performance right before they completely blew up and it became cool to dislike them was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ficklecycle View Post
    Ceremonia just announced their initial line up. Takes place pretty close to FYF so I imagine we'll be getting most of these...

http://ceremonia.xxx/
    I'd be happy with any of the acts on the bottom 4 lines.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

I'll lose my shit if Zomby is on the line up. He still owes us for canceling that Echoplex show a while back.
    8/2 & 3 HARD Summer
    8/7 Jagwar Ma @ Santa Monica Pier
    8/15 Echo Park Rising
    8/21 Interpol @ Boulevard Pool
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 RP Boo @ Los Globos
    9/24 Interpol @ House Of Blues
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey
    9/26 Wu Tang @ The Forum
    9/27 Hercules & Love Affair @ Lot 613

Lurker

I'd LOVE to see The National there!

My wish list!

Liars
    Darkside
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Modest Mouse
    Little Dragon
    Kevin Drew
    Colin Stetson
    Converge
    The Men
    Death from Above 1979
    Slowdive
    Tim Hecker
    Julia Holter
    Sharon Van Etten
    Slint
    Ty Segall
    William Tyler
    The Faint
    Touche Amore
    Rocket from the crypt
    Kid Dynamite
    Lightning Bolt
    Eluvium
    Health
    The Julie Ruin
    Russian Circles
    mewithoutYou
    The Dillinger Escape Plan
    Explosions in the Sky
    Loop
    Deafheaven
    Panda Bear
    Thee Oh Sees
    Jenny Lewis

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    My wish list!

Liars
    Darkside
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Modest Mouse
    Little Dragon
    Kevin Drew
    Colin Stetson
    Converge
    The Men
    Death from Above 1979
    Slowdive
    Tim Hecker
    Julia Holter
    Sharon Van Etten
    Slint
    Ty Segall
    William Tyler
    The Faint
    Touche Amore
    Rocket from the crypt
    Kid Dynamite
    Lightning Bolt
    Eluvium
    Health
    The Julie Ruin
    Russian Circles
    mewithoutYou
    The Dillinger Escape Plan
    Explosions in the Sky
    Loop
    Deafheaven
    Panda Bear
    Thee Oh Sees
    Jenny Lewis
    Kid Dynamite is done for good. A Paint It Black or Lifetime appearance might be more likely. Both are playing The Fest 13 this year, so they'll be active heading in the fall.

Touche Amore played last year right before their latest album came out, and before that, they played two years previous to that. They fit the FYF lineup, but three appearances in the past four years seems a bit exhaustive. There's a ton of great young post-hardcore bands to fill that void.