Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Lot of Stupid Questions: Car Camping

Default A Lot of Stupid Questions: Car Camping

Apologies if these questions are stupid but this is my first Coachella and I want to plan ahead.

I purchased the $85 Car Camping pass along with GA passes for weekend 2. However, I have lodging in Palm Springs where I plan to spend the nights. What I would like to do is set up a tent to act as an on grounds home base for the crew that I'm traveling with.

My question is whether or not I can drive in, set up a tent for the day, leave at night and then do it again the next day. It just wasn't quite clear to me whether or not the car camping passes allow you to come and go or whether the vehicle must remain in the spot for the entire 3 days.

Thanks in advance.
    "Met her at Coachella, I went to see Jigga, she went to see Z Trip, perfect"

Default Re: A Lot of Stupid Questions: Car Camping

You can leave the campgrounds in your car, but i dont think you'll be allowed back in. We have had someone do that in the past and just left tents set up. But you can only do it once

Quote Originally Posted by andrew86 View Post
    You can leave the campgrounds in your car, but i dont think you'll be allowed back in. We have had someone do that in the past and just left tents set up. But you can only do it once
    Thanks Andrew

Hm, I know the site says that you cannot have a tent set up in car camping with no car present so sounds like I'll need a different plan. Open to any suggestions from the board.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

that plan will work. i have friends that do it every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    that plan will work. i have friends that do it every year.
    Hm, sounds like I'll need to verify what the rules are with the Coachella staff. If anyone has seen anything posted about the policies please post a link.

Thanks

Ah... I found the answer here: http://www.coachella.com/visiting-th...-site-camping/

May I drive in/out of car camping?

Once you are parked in a camping area you may not move your vehicle for the duration of the festival. This is for your safety and the safety of your neighbors. However, if you need to leave early, please let security know, so they can help direct you out safely. Your car will NOT be admitted back in to the car camping area once it drives out. Given the configuration and the limitations of our site we need everyone to cooperate with the staff and park where directed and remain there. This is the only way that we can accommodate all ticket holders on the property. Please understand that when anyone disregards the parking and camping instructions it creates havoc that will ultimately impact everyone’s comfort and safety.

Looks like I will need to leave the car in the spot if I want to keep the tent set up there.
    Last edited by Verick1906; 01-12-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Verick1906 View Post
    Thanks Andrew

Hm, I know the site says that you cannot have a tent set up in car camping with no car present so sounds like I'll need a different plan. Open to any suggestions from the board.
    This turns out to be reasonably difficult to enforce and not actually worth anyone's time; there are always some spots with tents and no cars.

There are always spots with no cars, because the cars drive I , set up all their shit, then move the car out of the camp area after. No need to be scurrrrred.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrael View Post
    This turns out to be reasonably difficult to enforce and not actually worth anyone's time; there are always some spots with tents and no cars.
    Yeah, I can see how it would be logistically hard to monitor. And what are they really going to do, break down your tent and haul it away..? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ELIZA83TH View Post
    There are always spots with no cars, because the cars drive I , set up all their shit, then move the car out of the camp area after. No need to be scurrrrred.
    ELIZA83TH But how do you retrieve your stuff when the festival is over if they're not letting you re-enter?

You use your arms & chevro-legs.
    It helps if you have friends helping.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ELIZA83TH View Post
    You use your arms & chevro-legs.
    It helps if you have friends helping.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the intel.

Lurker

Idea.. might be silly, but here's a thought. There are people like me who do not have a camping pass, but want to stay on site and would be willing to pay you daily for not only the price of site, but also cab fare. Therefore you can still go back and forth from wherever you're staying back to the site without the problem of moving the car. if you like the idea, i'd recommend posting a different forum looking for a group of people to use the spot at night while your car is there so they could all share the price of cab fare and the site cost. I don't mind helping with that as well if you're into the idea. Anyway, my name's Bailey; I'm 22 from dallas, texas and need a place to camp on site. I'm willing to contribute price wise as well as random necessities the group would need and goodies! let me know what you think! Thanks!

The flaw in that plan is that cab fare is quite expensive to Palm Springs and you'd have to deal with the massive line waiting for a cab at the end of the night.

I mean, if you have two cars, you can park one at the site with your tent and shit and park one in day parking. Then you can just leave at night in the car in the day parking lot. If you don't have two cars, rent one. It'll be cheaper than cabbing it.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I paid 50 for a cab to Indio from PS in 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

why the f would you stay in PS. That's a 40 minute drive + each way to and from the fest.
    Add to it possible DUI check points and cops monitoring the HWY it makes no sense.

Spend a few extra bucks on nice camping supplies and stay at the site...
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Verick1906 View Post
    Looks like I will need to leave the car in the spot if I want to keep the tent set up there.
    I'll pay you the price of car camping to sleep there. It's just me and my girl.

Baily the Dipshit brings up a good point. Why are you taking up a camping spot that others really need if you're not planning on sleeping on it?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

This sounds like a cool idea , but how much are you really going to use a camping site? I'm only at mine to sleep and maybe go back to once a day if I want to power drink or change if the weather gets cool. There's just too many sets to catch unless your not a huge music fan.
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

Quote Originally Posted by baileryupe View Post
    Idea.. might be silly, but here's a thought. There are people like me who do not have a camping pass, but want to stay on site and would be willing to pay you daily for not only the price of site, but also cab fare. Therefore you can still go back and forth from wherever you're staying back to the site without the problem of moving the car. if you like the idea, i'd recommend posting a different forum looking for a group of people to use the spot at night while your car is there so they could all share the price of cab fare and the site cost. I don't mind helping with that as well if you're into the idea. Anyway, my name's Bailey; I'm 22 from dallas, texas and need a place to camp on site. I'm willing to contribute price wise as well as random necessities the group would need and goodies! let me know what you think! Thanks!
    I would definitely be open to some adaptation of this plan but dancefreak brings up a great point in that the cab fare would probably get to be more than I'd reasonably expect you to pay just to sleep in the spot at night. Fortunately most of the folks I'm with have shuttle passes so we'd probably be ok to get to and from the festival each day. You also get some Texan preference from me since I'm from Austin. ;-) Let's PM a bit and see what we can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by JulianAniel View Post
    I'll pay you the price of car camping to sleep there. It's just me and my girl.
    PM me man, I see you're a Texan also. Let's definitely talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    why the f would you stay in PS. That's a 40 minute drive + each way to and from the fest.
    Add to it possible DUI check points and cops monitoring the HWY it makes no sense.

Spend a few extra bucks on nice camping supplies and stay at the site...
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Why are you taking up a camping spot that others really need if you're not planning on sleeping on it?
    @Baily Thanks for the input but I've already booked my spot in PS. Actually driving to and from the festival daily is not on the table so your point about DUI check points should not be a problem.

@Captncrzy I do respect where you're coming from but anyone else was free to get on the Coachella website and buy a camping spot just as I did. I'm just trying to make sure that the people I'm with and myself have the best time possible.

Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    This sounds like a cool idea , but how much are you really going to use a camping site? I'm only at mine to sleep and maybe go back to once a day if I want to power drink or change if the weather gets cool. There's just too many sets to catch unless your not a huge music fan.
    Totally legit question and I could be way off. But I'm thinking that I won't want to pay exorbitant fees on the grounds for water and food during the day. So, I'm thinking each of the 10-15 people in my crew may come to the spot once or twice daily. I think that would definitely make the spot worth having. But this is my first Coachella so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I mean, if you have two cars, you can park one at the site with your tent and shit and park one in day parking. Then you can just leave at night in the car in the day parking lot. If you don't have two cars, rent one. It'll be cheaper than cabbing it.
    Good thought, this is what I was beginning to lean towards.

fail

I see only one question here. Where are all the other stupid questions?

I have a few..

So I'm planning to meet up with a couple friends who are driving down from Phoenix, but I'm coming in from OC.

Friend A will meet me in Indio on Thursday morning to drive in, and he's got his own car with a companion pass, how does he get to my camp site after I split off into setting up camp while he parks his car in the companion parking (is there an easier way than texting him camp location since cell phone signals are weak there)?

Friend B can't get off work early and will have to drive down Friday evening. He has a ticket but not a parking pass of any kind. Is there anywhere where he can get a pass, or is there any other place where he can leave his car overnight?

You'll have to text friend A with your location. the streets are numbered, so it's not that difficult to find a camp. cell reception isn't that bad at all, especially on thursday since not everyone is there yet.

friend B can still purchase a companion parking pass from frontgate. there aren't any other parking options that don't have a risk of being towed.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

Friend A will meet me in Indio on Thursday morning to drive in, and he's got his own car with a companion pass, how does he get to my camp site after I split off into setting up camp while he parks his car in the companion parking (is there an easier way than texting him camp location since cell phone signals are weak there)?

No. Just text him the location. You will be able to send/receive text messages with ease on Thursday. Since each lot has different street names it's easy to navigate.

Friend B can't get off work early and will have to drive down Friday evening. He has a ticket but not a parking pass of any kind. Is there anywhere where he can get a pass, or is there any other place where he can leave his car overnight.

This is a tough one. Walmart is the only place I know of that allows for overnight parking during Coachella. He could park his car and catch a ride with someone else to get to the campground, but that could be difficult if he has a lot of gear. If I were him I would try and purchase a companion pass on the secondary market once passes are sent out in March.

EDIT: See above. Note that Walmart allows overnight parking.

Thanks for the prompt responses!

you can call front gate and buy a companion parking.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Checking: Bought a pass + car camping from 3rd party - wristband is registered, any way to verify that they are connected? There wasn't a way to check last year if i recall.

Thanks for the answers, save the "don't buy from 3rd party" lectures… please.
    crab fries