Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling Veterans: Any tips for a Coachella beginner?

Red face Calling Veterans: Any tips for a Coachella beginner?

The tips can very from anything that you find you wish you should have known your first time around or any mistakes you've made in the past. I'm going to Coachella for the first time this year, Weekend 2 Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Calling Veterans: Any tips for a Coachella beginner?

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

There are TONS of threads for this.
    Use the search bar in the upper right hand corner.
    Chur velcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Everyone at Coachella is godless
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness

If you jump wear a parachute, that means if you have sexual intercorse wear a jimmy ( a jimmy is a condom )
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

Lurker

If you see someone with eyedrops, make sure it's not acid. (Guy I camped with made this mistake)
    Coachella Class of '09, '10, '11, '12W2, '13W1, '14W1

Find me in that Barry Sanders jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Don't drink alcohol during the day. It will fuck you up.

If you are a dirty smoker like me, bring enough smokes to last you the whole weekend because a pack is like $12. Also, bring at least two lighters or matches. I had to buy one of those cheap ass clear plastic lighters for like $5 because I lost mine.

If you are camping, do not fall for the whole VIP shower thing. I paid $10 for that shit and those showers were absolutely DISGUSTING! the free showers are good.

Expect for security to change up the rules of what you can bring into the festival each time that you go enter.

And of course, have fun! Spend some time looking at the art installations because they are as good as the music being played.

Quote Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
    If you jump wear a parachute, that means if you have sexual intercorse wear a jimmy ( a jimmy is a condom )
    Agreed. Don't want to get an itchy dick4.

As an aside, a jimmy is NOT a condom. It's a dick. A jimmy hat, on the other hand, is a condom.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

If you don't plan on showering, please bring a tub of baby wipes. You can actually get a 900 ct box for the price of a VIP shower (if they still have that nonsense offered again). I use the melted ice water in my ice chest mid-morning for brushing teeth, washing face, shampooing hair etc. Also helps cool you off if even for only a few minutes.

Have fun, but know your limits. A girl (1st timer) in my group last year got so wasted Thursday night & was so sick/embarrassed she called someone to pick her up on Friday BEFORE even going into the fest. She never came back. I'm pretty sure she didn't pay for her own wristband, so I'm not surprised. I arrived Fri night last year and thankfully didn't have to deal with her. Just be respectful to everyone, share, and be safe.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post

As an aside, a jimmy is NOT a condom. It's a dick. A jimmy hat, on the other hand, is a condom.
    my grandma told me different
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

if you see someone with eye drops, make sure it's acid!

DO NOT go see Dillon Francis.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

Quote Originally Posted by billtino View Post
    If you don't plan on showering, please bring a tub of baby wipes. You can actually get a 900 ct box for the price of a VIP shower (if they still have that nonsense offered again). I use the melted ice water in my ice chest mid-morning for brushing teeth, washing face, shampooing hair etc. Also helps cool you off if even for only a few minutes.

Have fun, but know your limits. A girl (1st timer) in my group last year got so wasted Thursday night & was so sick/embarrassed she called someone to pick her up on Friday BEFORE even going into the fest. She never came back. I'm pretty sure she didn't pay for her own wristband, so I'm not surprised. I arrived Fri night last year and thankfully didn't have to deal with her. Just be respectful to everyone, share, and be safe.

Damn! This is just ridiculous.
    But seeing that she didn't pay for her own wristband, it makes a little more sense, but still.
    She'll always be "that girl" - the one that almost, kinda, sorta made it to Coachella once.
    Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Everyone at Coachella is godless
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness

The most obvious one first timers often forget is to keep hydrated. This is the desert. This should be obvious. The idiots who defy this and attempt to fill the void with alcohol get to lose part of their day getting hauled out by friends or medics. Alcohol generally is a shit idea at Coachella. It's either ridiculously expensive or shitty in general, like Heinekin. Alcohol + no humidity = dehydration. Plus, who wants to be confined inside the kiddy fence, away from all the music?

Bring a bottle or other method for carrying water, and make sure to drink a fairly consistent amount throughout the day without drinking too much at once. If you drink too much too fast, you'll find yourself taking lots of unnecessary bathroom breaks, and waiting in long lines. If you need to refill your water or take a break, leave in the middle of a set so you won't be fighting through a crowd who just left the same show you were at.

For me it's about finding efficiency; maximizing the number of shows I can see, while still having a good time.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

sensible footwear
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Yeah, after I posted this I actually did some more research and found a really helpful thread. But thanks for the suggestions anyway! I think my biggest question now is whether or not is what kind of backpack I want to bring along simply because I hate carrying things but I know I'd need to bring certain items with me

i personally like carrying a messenger bag. it's easy to get in and out of, even in the middle of a crowd. like, say, if you want to take a couple of shots out of your collapsible flask you have in the hidden compartment, right before goat takes the stage. you'll also like having easy access to water, chap stick, sun glasses, a long sleeve shirt, candy, dental floss, or whatever else you feel you'll need. but remember, you gotta carry this shit all day so don't over pack.

Fanny pack.

1. You NEED a canopy to over your tent or you will BAKE in the sun. Seriously impossible to stay in tent past daybreak without a canopy to keep the sun off.

2. TRASH BAGS. Seriously, people always forget and make a horrible mess.

3. Take all the stuff you buy out of their cardboard boxes (Granola bars etc) it just makes more trash. Sometimes I take stuff and pack it ziplock bags that just go straight into the cooler.

4. A Cooler with lots of room for ice.

5. At least 2 cases of water per person (Trust me, they go quick). You're only allowed 1 case of beer per person this year, you may get lucky and sneak more in. Other assorted refreshments.

6. If you do not intend to use the public showers (Ain't no one got time for that!) And you do not own solar showers (and maybe a shower tent). Then be sure to pack baby wipes. Baby wipes will keep you fresh if you're unable to procure yourself a shower.

7. Travel wet-wipes and toilet seat covers. You'll need these inside and outside the festival. If you're able to buy yourself a camping toilet (comes with these sealable bags for discarding the waste each use) then you'll be one happy camper.

8. TOOLS for your camp (Hammer, flashlight, batteries, extra tent stakes, bungee cord, etc).

9. For food the best thing is stuff that's non-perishable. Or requires little cooling like fruits. If you've got $$$ to spend there are lots of places to buy food in and out of the festival.

10. A MAP. Not a literal map perse... but I can't tell you how many times people get overtly excited and run into the fest and assume they will find their camp easily when they return (especially if you're in an altered state...) So please make sure you observe land markers and street signs so you don't spend an hour wandering aimlessly looking for camp (I learned this lesson my first time...)

11. Toiletries! Toothbrush, toothpaste, towel, extra underwear/socks, deodorant, aspirin, etc you can purchase at the general store but it's overpriced.

12. medication with prescription if it's a controlled medication (Marijuana with a prescription is still not allowed).

13. DON'T BRING ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO LOSE (This may include boyfriend/girlfriend xD)

14. At least one set of clothes for cold weather, it's happened before and I laugh when I see packs of girls in bikinis huddling together for warmth as they rush back to camp to warm up. Be prepared.

15. Comfortable footwear, sacrifice fashion for comfort, you can thank me later.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

I bring in a small backpack, the same one I use for school, and it works out just fine. As for a few major tips I would give. Bring a canopy to cover your tent area, drink a lot of water, bring sunglasses and sunscreen, and bring extra supplies. Also, if you're looking to save money buying water (they are $2 per bottle inside the venue) you can get a free bottle for every 10 empty bottles you turn in. I have already started collecting empty bottles and just bring in 20 or 30 at a time once I get there so I can get a few free ones every time I go in the venue.

last two years, girls in my group have passed out because of heat... so don't bring a lame girl with your group. oh and all the usual drink water, watch your alcohol during the hot mid day, take a camp shower if you can, and know for a fact you most likely will end up going in with a set plan for what you want to see and then throw that out the window in a few hours of day one. just remember when your absolute favorite sets are and then let it all ride from there.

Lurker

Well if you do drink alcohol during the day, just make sure you drink tons of water as well. It's worked well for me as long as you don't mind hitting the restroom between sets

Bring shade, water, coolers, lots of ice, beer, portable shower to avoid the lines, 5 gallon containers of water, hat, sunglasses, lighters, stove, food, air mattress, pump, iPod boombox, large speaker, extra clothes, goldbond, sun screen, comfortable shoes, great attitude, open ears for new music discoveries. There's a start! Oh and a wagon to carry all of your stuff. This will be year number 12 and the list grows every year

sleeping pills and ear plugs if you plan on sleeping

And, if you have to pee in the middle of the night, or, when you first wake up and don't want to have to hike to the porta-potty... A pack of 3 should get you through the weekend....

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post

jimmy = jimmy riddle = piddle = taking a piss
    ? - Xiu Xiu - Bottom of the Hill
    4/28 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion - GAMH
    5/8 - Acid Mothers Temple - Bottom of the Hill
    5/30-6/1 - Bottlerocket - Napa
    7/2 - Deafhaven - GAMH
    7/7 - Nick Cave - Warfield
    8/10-8/12 - Outside Lands
    8/24 - NIN, Soundgarden and Death Grips - Shoreline

Before you go, set your phone background to a pic of a friend's contact number or your home address. In case you lose your phone, you want your background of the locked screen to show information so you can get it back quick.

Also a good idea to lock a set of car keys somewhere in case you lose your normal set. I like to lock a set somewhere in the car so AAA can easily be called to open the car if I lose my normal set.

And check lost & found if you're missing anything! Both at the festival and on the boards later.

Get a locker and bring some long sleeve stuff to change into in case the temperature drops to some number below your comfort level after dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Can I be in a great mood because I don't have an upcoming jail date?

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    And, if you have to pee in the middle of the night, or, when you first wake up and don't want to have to hike to the porta-potty... A pack of 3 should get you through the weekend....
    I usually just piss under the neighbors car
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Wrong, SEE DILLON FRANCIS. Easily one of the top three live performances I've seen in my entire life.