Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coachella Song of the Day 2014

Cool Coachella Song of the Day 2014

One artist per day. One song per artist. Each artist straight from the lineup, getting you ready and Fuckingampedchella for 2014!!

Today's Coachella Song of the Day "You're Not Good Enough" by Blood Orange. Check out my full article about this amazing track on our blog @ http://coachellasongoftheday.tumblr.com
    Or just listen to this great jam @
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbZ3s8XWJlA
    Last edited by Sheldorrr; 01-10-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Default Re: Coachella Song of the Day 2014

Coachella Song of the Day Tumblr
    Coachella Song of the Day Facebook

Coachella Song of the Day Archive

January 9 - "Left of the Dial" by The Replacements
    January 10 - "You're Not Good Enough" by Blood Orange
    January 11 - "Amor Fati" by Washed Out
    January 12 - "Back and Forth" by Dismemberment Plan
    January 13 - “The Beat Goes On” by Beady Eye
    January 14 - “Die for the Government” by Anti Flag
    January 15 - “On Blue Mountain” by Foxygen
    January 16 - “Last Love Song” by ZZ Ward
    January 17 - “Shallows” by Daughter
    January 18 - "Congratulations" by MGMT
    January 19 - "We Call Love" by Art Department
    January 20 - "Black Angel" by The Cult
    January 21 - "Fantasy" by MS MR
    January 22 - "Crown on the Ground" by Sleigh Bells
    January 23 - "A Shell Across the Tongue” by Drowners
    January 24 - "Harvest Moon" by Poolside
    January 25 - "Balance" by Future Islands
    January 26 - "Figure 8" by Ellie Goulding
    January 27 - "Dinosaurs" by Bonobo
    January 28 - "Let Me Go" by HAIM
    January 29 - "Dancing in the Dark" by Solange
    January 30 - "Change" by Banks
    January 31 - "American" by Lana Del Rey
    February 1 - "Jewel of Mine Eye" by Temples
    February 2 - "Movement in the Light" by Fishbone
    February 3 - "Under These Hands" by Dum Dum Girls
    February 4 - "Florida" by STRFKR
    February 5 - "Luxury" by Tiga
    February 6 - "Overdone" by Bombay Bicycle Club
    February 7 - "Map of the Problematique" by Muse
    February 8 - "I Think I Love You" by Waxahatchee
    February 9 - "Friends To Lovers" by AlunaGeorge
    February 10 - "Weight of Living Pt. II" by Bastille
    February 11 - "Big TV" by White Lies
    February 12 - "Rock It For Me" by Caravan Palace
    February 13 - "Getaway Car" by Grouplove
    February 14 - "Fast Jabroni" by Surfer Blood
    February 15 - "Head In The Ceiling Fan" by Title Fight
    February 16 - "Hold Me" by Tom Odell
    February 17 - "Did You Have To" by Jagwar Ma
    February 18 - "10,000 Weight In Gold" by The Head and the Heart
    February 19 - "Dump Dump" by A$AP Ferg
    February 20 - "Suburbia (The Full Horror)" by Pet Shop Boys
    February 21 - "Offline Dexterity" by Disclosure
    February 22 - "Continuum" by Young & Sick
    February 23 - "Work Out" by Factory Floor
    February 24 - "High Society" by Bear Hands
    February 25 - "We Were Wealth" by Wye Oak
    February 26 - "Face-Off" by Flatbush Zombies
    February 28 - "Summer (Priority Version)" by Mogwai
    March 1 - "Heart is a Drum" and "Unforgiven" by Beck
    March 2 - ”The Girl” by City and Colour
    March 3 - ”The Villain” by Austra
    March 4 - ”Manic Baby” by The Preatures
    March 5 - ”Faded” by Afghan Whigs
    March 6 - ”Big Feelings” by Shlohmo
    March 7 - ”Out of the Woodwork” by Courtney Barnett
    March 8 - ”History of Sex” by The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
    March 11 - ”?” by Unlocking the Truth
    March 13 - ”Smile” by Galantis
    March 14 - ”Warrant” by Foster the People
    March 15 - ”A World Alone” by Lorde
    March 17 - ”The Ballad of Me & My Friends” by Frank Turner
    March 18 - ”Summer” by Calvin Harris
    March 19 - ”Night Sky” by CHVRCHES
    March 20 - ”I Sat By The Ocean” by Queens of the Stone Age
    March 21 - ”I Wanna Be Sedated” by Gabba Gabba Heys
    March 22 - ”Save Me Now” by Aeroplane
    March 23 - "Vampire/Forest Fire" by Arcade Fire
    March 24 - "St. James Infirmary" by Preservation Hall Jazz Band
    March 25 - "This Tornado Loves You" by Neko Case
    March 26 - "The Only Shrine I've Seen" by Darkside
    March 27 - "The Leaving Song Part II" by AFI
    March 28 - "Bad Peace" by Jhene Aiko
    March 29 - "She DGAF" by The Internet
    March 30 - "Untied" by Superchunk
    April 2 - "I Didn't Believe" by Flight Facilities
    April 4 - "]Change" by Flume
    April 5 - "I Got This" by UZ
    April 6 - "Mongrel Heart" by Broken Bells
    Last edited by sugar-high; 04-06-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Good Pick! Totally want to catch this set!

The first one was the great album track "Left of the Dial" off Tim by The Replacements http://coachellasongoftheday.tumblr....ong-of-the-day.

Also, check out our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CoachellaSongOfTheDay and like it to follow us as we feature a new Coachella artist each day and send in a guest submission if you're so inclined, or just a suggestion if you're not looking to put in that much effort (we'd love either).

Today's song of the Day is "Amor Fati" by Washed Out.

I have admitted it once, and I will admit it again: I am a narcissistic music listener. But, in a way, aren’t we all? For me, music either finds a niche in my mind— paints the perfect summertime sunset, expresses just what I was feeling when I realized my dad’s favorite pen holder had finally broken, even for the way I sync in to cruising the grocery store looking for the peanut butter I promised to bring home— or simply gets left behind (sometimes to be rediscovered and integrated later, many times not). Music finds a way to integrate into my life, often evoking memories and emotions and images, and when a song or an artist truly— and finally— can do that, I simply fall in love. Crossing the bridge to Portland under and overcast sky and with rain-streaked windows, Washed Out cemented it’s place in my heart.

Read the full post at: http://coachellasongoftheday.tumblr.com/
    Last edited by sugar-high; 01-11-2014 at 05:18 PM.

From January 12th

Coachella Song of the Day (96 Days Until Coachella): “Back and Forth” off The Dismemberment Plan’s Emergency and I

I was emphatically espousing the unequivocal greatness of The Dismemberment Plan to two of my fellow CSOD staffers the other day when they asked me a simple question:

“What do they sound like?”

“Well, they’re – um – you know, they’re a – uh – they do a lot of cool stuff,” I muttered back as I searched my brain for the correct description. “I mean, they’re a rock band, but not, like, just a – well, they’re a rangy rock band, I guess. They’re like funky and synthy – wait, no, I don’t know; you just have to listen.”

From January 13th

Coachella Song of the Day (95 Days Until Coachella): “The Beat Goes On” from Beady Eye’s Different Gear, Still Speeding

After Coachella 2013’s all-time-great Stone Roses/Blur co-headlining extravaganza, organizers surely knew they’d have a hard time living up to Britpop fans’ expectations in the future.

Today's Song of the Day is "On Blue Mountain" by Foxygen

When you are twenty-two and trying to get your shit together and figure out what the world actually is and has in store for you, things can get pretty confused, wires can get crossed, and you can result looking like some two-toned indescribable mess of a person. I should know— I’m twenty-two. Sam France and Jonathan Rado are in my ship as well, and so I like to think that the seeming dichotomy between their music and their stage presence most likely can be attributed to that chaotic self-exploration that just happens at this age.
    Last edited by sugar-high; 01-19-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Today's Song of the day is “We Call Love” by Art Department

No matter your gender, religion, nationality, or the entire host of factors we have come to use to definite ourselves, love is a universal. Love is something everyone comes to experience at some point in their life in some form or another. Oftentimes, the love that people experience can result in some messiness and confusion, leading them to seek help from others. Art Department’s call of “Won’t you guide me through this thing we call love?” transported me back to the devastation, the searching, the emptiness of petty fights with boyfriends and past break-ups. By no means is today’s song what I would call a “break-up song,” though, and while the lyrics may tug at my heartstrings a bit, the beats and rhythm serve to make a topic that can feel heavy and impossible at times lighter, as if to say: no one has the roadmap to love, and that is completely okay.

Coachella Song of the Day (87 Days Until Coachella): Fantasy off of MS MR’s Secondhand Rapture

MS MR (pronounced Miz Mister) might be the coolest thing to come out of Vassar since Meryl Streep graduated back in ’71. Consisting of one Ms. Lizzy Plapinger and one Mr. Max Hershenow, MS MR bring a rhythmic center to the Plapinger’s vocal talents that easily compare to Florence and the Machine or Adele. But, on top of that, Hershenow’s great electronic additions make it a challenge not to clap, hell even dance along. While Lizzy Plapinger simply credits herself as being the voice of the band and Hershenow as the ‘music’, it’s impossible to imagine them as separate entities as the two talents play off each other to create a powerhouse of sounds.

Read the full article here:
    http://coachellasongoftheday.tumblr.com/
    Last edited by Sheldorrr; 01-21-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Also, here's yesterday's SOD

Coachella Song of the Day (88 Days Until Coachella): “Black Angel” from The Cult’s Love

Imagine if Ian Curtis had lived. Joy Division did the U.S. tour they had planned, enjoyed the critical acclaim for Closer, but then chose to re-invent itself in the vein of Mötley Crüe after hearing their first album in 1981. Would it cheapen their two albums of post-punk perfection for you?

That’s an extreme example and The Cult were never as good as Joy Division, but a similar thing happened with Ian Astbury’s crew when they went into the studio after 1985’s Love.

I would nominate City Swans by Neko Case.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    Thanks so much for the recommendation!! We have a writer who is in love with Neko Case and I have let them know your suggestion!!

Standing outside of WBRS, our university’s radio station, on a night after a Student Peace Alliance meeting, I distinctly remember Cece asking me and our friend, Leah, if we were going to the Sleigh Bells concert at Chum’s, our university’s coffee shop. I realize how incredibly cliché this college story sounds, but that was my first introduction to a band that I now definitely categorize as a favorite. In that moment, listening to the garbled and screechy noises pouring out of Cece’s phone as she talked about “how great this band is” I most certainly wasn’t convinced. One show at Chum’s and one album download later, though, I was hooked, largely due to the trust I had for Cece. Thus, while I enjoy Reign of Terror and Bitter Rivals, Treats has come to be an album that I have memorized forward and backward, an album I blast in the car and at the gym, and an album I deeply love for both the tracks and the person who introduced them to me in the first place.

Standing outside of WBRS, our university’s radio station, on a night after a Student Peace Alliance meeting, I distinctly remember Cece asking me and our friend, Leah, if we were going to the Sleigh Bells concert at Chum’s, our university’s coffee shop. I realize how incredibly cliché this college story sounds, but that was my first introduction to a band that I now definitely categorize as a favorite. In that moment, listening to the garbled and screechy noises pouring out of Cece’s phone as she talked about “how great this band is” I most certainly wasn’t convinced. One show at Chum’s and one album download later, though, I was hooked, largely due to the trust I had for Cece. Thus, while I enjoy Reign of Terror and Bitter Rivals, Treats has come to be an album that I have memorized forward and backward, an album I blast in the car and at the gym, and an album I deeply love for both the tracks and the person who introduced them to me in the first place.

Coachella Song of the Day (85 Days Until Coachella): "A Shell Across the Tongue" from Drowners' Between Us Girls

The last man picked in the NFL Draft is always dubbed “Mr. Irrelevant.” If he’s lucky, he’ll make the team that drafts him in his rookie year and collect a couple of fat paychecks before being demoted to the practice squad. Drowners may be the last artist listed on Coachella Saturday, but with the upcoming release of eponymous debut LP next Tuesday, Drowners shouldn’t be Mr. Irrelevant much longer. That is, if there’s any justice in the world.

Coachella Song of the Day (84 Days Until Coachella): ‘Harvest Moon’ off of Poolside’s Pacific Standard Time

For the first year of my post-college career I worked in a call center for the billing department of an insurance company called CNA. And that dear friends, is the most boring way to start an article. I would lie to people and tell them I did some other thing for the company – anything to make it sound more exciting. What it really was, though wasn’t sexy. The economy when I graduated college in early 2012 wasn’t in a great place, though, and I was happy to have a consistent paycheck. When January of 2013 rolled around I began seeking new employment, and would find it a few months later for a small video conferencing company called Glowpoint Inc. The problem was as follows: Glowpoint wanted me to start work around the same time as Coachella. Now it’s pointless to tell you that I had been spending every day at CNA on the Coachella website. It started with my ticket purchases, during work hours, when I was supposed to answering phones. It ended early April with me perusing every single food option, campground activity, and piece of advice listed on the website.

Today's Song of the Day is "Balance" by Future Islands
    (and not just because Coachella posted it, I swear there are some seriously sappy reasons to justify this pick)

Lately, I have been practicing letting go moreso than I ever have had the patience for in my life to date. As humans we have this funny little capacity to think about the past, pick it apart, change it, and I have reached the point where I am pretty tired of that game. I’m also tired of looking forward in a way that makes me fret about my future until I’m reduced to a puddle of anxiety over things that haven’t happened— and, honestly, may never happen— to me yet. Though in these practices I am not trying to deny the fact that I have memories seeped in beauty that I love to recall and also have dreams that I remind myself of as I head forward. I guess, when it comes down to it, I’m just over the worry and over the pain of overthinking the past and future; but, of course, that is all so much more easily said than done.

1/26 song of the day

Coachella Song of the Day (82 Days Until Coachella): “Figure 8” from Ellie Goulding’s Halcyon

I hate most of the pop filth at the top of this year’s Coachella lineup. I’m not talking about Outkast, Muse and Arcade Fire, but rather Zedd, Skrillex and Foster the People. I could write 10 Song of the Days about how Goldenvoice could’ve thrown one of the first two in the dumpster where they belong, booked a celebrated act like The National in their place (yes, that example happens to be my favorite band of this generation, but they were available in April) and still satisfied all the EDM kids. Foster the People just shouldn’t still be a thing at a major music festival in 2014.

I’ll spare you, though, and be positive instead. One of the unabashedly Top 40 acts on the first three lines that I am excited about is British pop princess Ellie Goulding. Maybe it’s the English accent, maybe it’s the unexpected emotional intensity of her pop anthems or perhaps I just have some hidden urge in my soul for a bass drop every few songs.

Read the full post here: http://coachellasongoftheday.tumblr.com/

1/27 song of the day

Coachella Song of the Day (81 Days Until Coachella): ‘Dinosaurs’ off of Bonobo’s Animal Magic

I can’t tell you anything about zoology that Wikipedia can’t. That double negative might also suggest the same about grammar. Bonobos are apes. Bonobos are small apes. Bonobos are small, incredibly friendly apes, that love to have sex. Bonobo is also DJ, producer, and musician Simon Green.

Read the full post here:
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/coachellasongoftheday

Today's Song of the Day is "Dancing in the Dark" by Solange

At different times in our lives, we are the heartbreaker or the broken, and many people tend to lean one way or another. Regardless of which way you lean, though, you have likely experienced unrequited love— whether you were the one chasing or the chased. “Dancing in the Dark,” however, highlights that interesting in-between of the two: when one both loves and pushes away, when another person is completely desirable yet so completely not right all at the same time. In any form of a relationship one goes through this sort of period of deciding exactly how much they lean one way or another, the kind of “is it really worth it game?” we all play at one time or another. And, sometimes it is, but for Solange (at least in this song) it just isn’t.

Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

Coachella Song of the Day (78 Days Until Coachella): “Change” from Banks’ London

A week ago, I wrote about New York rock band Drowners and how their Between Us Girls EP calls for repeated listens before the listener feels satiated. On another end of the musical spectrum, the same could be said for a recent release by fellow Coachella Saturday artist Banks. Rather than Strokes-esque guitar anthems, though, Banks’ four-song London EP features the most gorgeous of voices singing the most lovelorn of lyrics against the most minimal of instrumentation.

Banks is the stage name of Los Angeles singer Jillian Banks, whose dark, white-girl R&B has earned her love from Victoria’s Secret (London’s “Waiting Game” is featured in a recent TV ad), MTV (she was nominated for its Brand New for 2014 award) and The Weeknd, with whom she toured last fall. One nighttime listen to her downbeat EP from last year makes it clear why, although like I said, that probably isn’t enough. That’s coming from someone who often ignores music that doesn’t feature a guitar, bass and drums playing in a major key.

Read the full post at: http://coachellasongoftheday.tumblr.com
    "Like" us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com

Today's Song of the Day is "Jewel of Mine Eye" by Temples

Upon first listen to Temples, it would make the most sense that they were a reunion act as their sound is straight psychedelic rock. Surprisingly, however, this band was formed only in 2012, and their debut album is set to drop in nine days. The singles that Temples has released thus far definitely bode well for what that album will hold, and are already a perfect summer weekend soundtrack. Although their vibe is utterly relaxing and evoke the feel of the 60’s, Temples’ lyrics make the attentive listener consider the true meaning of their songs. Often draped in heavy symbolism, it’s not all peace and love flowing from the few tracks that Temples has released thus far.

Read the full post at: http://coachellasongoftheday.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldorrr View Post
    [video=youtube;DE5DXUfX0cc]MS MR (pronounced Miz Mister) might be the coolest thing to come out of Vassar since Meryl Streep graduated back in ’71.
    I know one Coachella board member, Vassar alum, cooler than either.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    I nominate "Guided By Wire" by Neko Case.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I nominate "Guided By Wire" by Neko Case.
    Thanks for the input!

Coachella Song of the Day (75 Days Until Coachella): "Movement in the Light" from Fishbone's In Your Face

The Coachella 2014 lineup is filled with plenty of Next Big Things - Lorde, Ellie Goulding, Haim, Chvrches. The lower lines of the lineup aren’t just made up of those bands’ openers, though. Sprinkled in there are a few ex-Next Big Things, those bands that the major label executives mistakenly once thought would pay for a new pool and third vacation home. Among them, today’s Coachella Song of the Day artist: all-black funk/punk rockers Fishbone.

Signed out of high school in the 1980s, Fishbone were contemporaries of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Jane’s Addiction in the Los Angeles alternative rock scene. The 2011 documentary Everyday Sunshine: The Story of Fishbone finds many famous musicians wondering why Fishbone never took over the music world. No Doubt’s Gwen Stefani calls singer Angelo Moore “a god,” while the Chili Peppers’ Flea admits to having stolen bass moves from Fishbone four-stringer Norwood Fisher.

"Like" us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/coachellasongoftheday
    Last edited by AlexRice; 02-03-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

Coachella Song of the Day (74 Days Until Coachella): “Under These Hands” off Dum Dum Girls’ Too True

In a span of less than six years, Dum Dum Girls has gone from the one-woman, scuzzy bedroom pop project of front woman Dee Dee to, with this week’s new album Too True, a well-established and worthy of esteem rock band. Today’s song is merely one of many good songs to showcase, and was chosen more of a vehicle to illustrate my take on Dum Dum Girls’ progression as a whole (with a little help from some of the CSOD staff and absolutely no help from the rest – they know who they are).

Read the full post at: