Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: THE CULT!

Default Re: THE CULT!

I enjoyed the show. I'd been dying to see them live and finally got to so maybe my opinion is skewed, but I had my face thoroughly melted during their set.

This totally blew. Couldn't agree more with the poster above that Ian totally phoned it in. For a guy that's been around, his performance was very unprofessional. The crowd's reaction after Rain was "really? that's it?" Then there was his comment "a lot of people don't believe we belong here."

I was looking for this to end a great day, coming off the major high of the 'Mats and the last few of Ferry's set, but I was done with them after three songs. Went and danced to a couple of Caravan Palace songs and headed out. Easily the biggest disappointment of the fest.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Underwhelming. Motorhead was how I wanted the Cult to be.

Looks like the response was mixed. Never been a huge Cult fan, but I always liked their music. Only album I have of theirs is Sonic Temple, which I purchased on vinyl when it came out.

It comes down to the Cult or Caravan Palace and ending the night with Crosses.

Ian pretty much phoned it in. It didn't help that he was higher than shit on something, and appeared to be removing tape from the mic to wrap around his fingers mid-set. I have no idea what that was all about. I'm glad I saw them, but I wouldn't waste my time again!
    I arrived in America's airport with clothings, US dollars, and a jar of gypsy tears to protect me from AIDS.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    Then there was his comment "a lot of people don't believe we belong here."
    i wonder where he got that from. most people i've talked to or most things i'd read had been either positive or indifferent. i was very happy to see them on the lineup since i'd never seen them live and always wanted to. then i watched a few recent live videos and my excitement faded. while i admit i've been rather pessimistic about their set, to say that they don't belong at coachella would be wrong.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

I saw them for the first time last year and it was fun but not much different than at Coachella. The Coachella setlist was disappointing for me. I think we left after Lucifer and at that point there might've been a couple hundred people still in the tent. You could stand about 30 feet from the front and swing blindly and not hit anyone.

In my opinion they could've left off Spiritwalker, Gone, The Witch, Lucifer, Embers and The Phoenix and replaced it with all the Sonic Temple tunes they didn't play. (Sun King, Fire Woman, American Horse, Edie) So I only really like 2 of the first 8 tracks they played so we moved on before hearing the more known final 3 tracks.

Rain
    Spiritwalker
    Gone
    The Witch
    Sweet Soul Sister
    Lucifer
    Embers
    The Phoenix
    Wild Flower
    She Sells Sanctuary
    Love Removal Machine

Either Ian doesn't care much or he doesn't have the pipes but he seemed to sing rather lazily. The chorus for "Sweet Soul Sister" is sung in more of a staccato than the original version. They don't seem that tight either. A friend commented that the drummer isn't very good. Billy Duffy is the best part about the show.
    Last edited by alternapop; 04-16-2014 at 03:10 PM.

LEGIT!
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Quote Originally Posted by Dede' Arneaux View Post
    What chance Slash makes an appearance with his mate Ian?
    Still hoping this might happen
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Quote Originally Posted by kellybuck99 View Post
    It didn't help that he was higher than shit on something, and appeared to be removing tape from the mic to wrap around his fingers mid-set. I have no idea what that was all about.
    I was right up front the entire set and this was an equipment failure. The cable for the mic was coming out and he had to wrap it in tape a couple of times in order to get it to stay put. A tech even came out early in the set and tried to fix it but couldn't before the next song started.

Quote Originally Posted by livethechoice View Post
    I was right up front the entire set and this was an equipment failure. The cable for the mic was coming out and he had to wrap it in tape a couple of times in order to get it to stay put. A tech even came out early in the set and tried to fix it but couldn't before the next song started.
    I was up front too, and I didn't see it that way at all!
    I arrived in America's airport with clothings, US dollars, and a jar of gypsy tears to protect me from AIDS.

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Fantastic weekend deux

The Cult2.jpg
    Last edited by Dede' Arneaux; 06-09-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    This totally blew. Couldn't agree more with the poster above that Ian totally phoned it in. For a guy that's been around, his performance was very unprofessional. The crowd's reaction after Rain was "really? that's it?" Then there was his comment "a lot of people don't believe we belong here."

I was looking for this to end a great day, coming off the major high of the 'Mats and the last few of Ferry's set, but I was done with them after three songs. Went and danced to a couple of Caravan Palace songs and headed out. Easily the biggest disappointment of the fest.
    Yeah, they did'nt belong there, but maybe they can open up for the Allman Brothers or the Black Crowes on the has been circuit, or join Sugar Rey at their annual tour of old bands nobody but divorcees care about.

My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com