Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Arcade Fire 2014

Default Re: Arcade Fire 2014

Was he dropping some New Order knowledge during Afterlife... singing the chorus from Temptation... or did I dream it? Good band, cool jackets, great live shows. 2nd coolest non-spherical mirror ball at Coachella after the YumaShark. Trying to get a crowd chorus going after the midnight cutoff was a good idea that didn't really come off... or, probably a lot more effective way in close to the stage, but further back in the crowd nobody could hear well enough to get it going; there were just un-synchronized groups out of earshot of each other singing in different time who eventually gave it up.
    4/17/11-T/R/L/P

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
    Biggest crowd of the weekend for this set? Or smaller because of Sunday night?
    LA times reported that the Outdoor Stage Disclosure drew a bigger crowd than Arcade Fire. Not really sure if that was the reason the cameramen in the live feed shot mostly close-ups of the band and barely shown the crowd until the end (but still it was just the area up-front).

Who was Sunday's Coachella headliner? The band that played last, to wrap up the weekend on the main stage? Or the act that drew probably the weekend's biggest crowd, and certainly its most fevered rush of fans?

If the answer is the former, it's indisputably Arcade Fire, which closed out the festival with a set drawing from the downtown disco of its latest album "Reflektor." But if it's the latter, then it's probably Calvin Harris, the Scottish EDM producer whose main stage set around 8 p.m. drew an instant crush of ravers who practically vacated the rest of the festival.

Or it might have been the English neo-house duo Disclosure, whose sprawling Outdoor Stage set absolutely beat Arcade Fire's in numbers during the few songs the two overlapped (and more to come on their set, which featured a cameo from Mary J. Blige, later).

The true headliner Sunday was dance music in general, which should be cause for reflection about how Coachella organizes its top billings in the future.

Wow, that's pretty amazing. I'll be interested to see which direction this festival goes over the next couple of years. I love being able to see some of my favorite bands among a smaller crowd, but I don't think that paints a very optimistic future for Coachella.

Fads come and go. Coachella will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by megastar View Post
    Was he dropping some New Order knowledge during Afterlife... singing the chorus from Temptation... or did I dream it? Good band, cool jackets, great live shows. 2nd coolest non-spherical mirror ball at Coachella after the YumaShark. Trying to get a crowd chorus going after the midnight cutoff was a good idea that didn't really come off... or, probably a lot more effective way in close to the stage, but further back in the crowd nobody could hear well enough to get it going; there were just un-synchronized groups out of earshot of each other singing in different time who eventually gave it up.
    I was front row in the artist/guest area where they walked into the crowd for the procession with the Jazz band. I shot some great video of the band coming/going and Debra Harry waiting to get on stage. Will post once I edit it in a couple of days.

Awesome way to end festival...

Quote Originally Posted by idrive1life View Post
    LA times reported that the Outdoor Stage Disclosure drew a bigger crowd than Arcade Fire. Not really sure if that was the reason the cameramen in the live feed shot mostly close-ups of the band and barely shown the crowd until the end (but still it was just the area up-front).
    If this is technically correct, it's still a bit dramatic. My gf and I were on the ADA risers for both shows, and while Disclosure's crowd was massive, so was Arcade Fire's. It looked like it went back to the pretzel and was sizable in all directions. We have photos of people dancing on the robot for Arcade Fire. It was really, really big and both crowds were really into their respective shows. Fantastic energy to close off Sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Fads come and go. Coachella will be fine.
    That's my working (or hopeful) hypothesis. I hope you're right. The bottom line is that they need a critical mass of their "core" artists (i.e., stuff that people other than the "I just wanna see Lana and Calvin" set want to see). I hope they don't go below it.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Florence Welch was in the Guest area going nuts. The look on Win's face as his wife and Debbie Harry were doing the duet: priceless. Loved the VIP diss, and PHJB brought the day full circle for me.

Brilliant stuff. Can't wait to see what they pull at other fests.

They completely nailed this performance in every way they could have. Bravo, Arcade Fire.

Lurker

Enjoy!